Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Finaly its time...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Finaly its time... Tue, 18 November 2003 13:12 Go to next message
To breathe life into my car!!!
Been waiting for this for such a long time. Now i have several options.
Put in an 18r-geu and use the existing efi gear from the 22r-e.
Replace 22r-e with another 22r-e.

Basicly i'm more in favour of the first option, while it will cost more i believe that it is worth it. The difficult part is actually finding a good 18r-geu, something that will last 100,000km's preferably. I'm thinking that if I can't find one in melbourne that I should get one brought down here from SSS automotive in sydney.
Basicly I'm just looking for places to search for my engine. I've already been to toyospares in bayswater but i'm after some recomendations based on where you guys have been to.
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Finaly its time... Tue, 18 November 2003 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You're unlikely to find an 18R-GEU in great shape, unless you can find one someone's already rebuilt. Remember they're at least 20 years old now! Fortunately they're not that expensive to rebuild, so you should consider the option of buying a dunger and freshening it up.
isaac
Regular

March 2003
Re: Finaly its time... Tue, 18 November 2003 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1jz Razz
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Finaly its time... Wed, 19 November 2003 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if your talking about the car in your av i wouldnt go anything less than a 6 cyl. even the stock 6 cyl ma61's arent that quick so you want 6 cyl + turbo.
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Finaly its time... Wed, 19 November 2003 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stock ma61's are not quick at all full stop end of story....but they look the part
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Finaly its time... Wed, 19 November 2003 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
18r-geu is a good donk, but dont u think its a little small for a big car??? i would definitely be looking at a 6 for it, forced induction of some kind would make it fully worth while
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Finaly its time... Wed, 19 November 2003 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just as a sidepoint as well, I didn't think you were allowed to put in an engine older then the one you're replacing and it still be legal? Or is that just WA rules? Confused
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Finaly its time... Wed, 19 November 2003 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The car in question is an RA65, which isn't what I'd call "big". An 18R-GEU won't set the world on fire, but it would be a significant improvement on a 22R-E. Depends what the guy wants really.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Finaly its time... Wed, 19 November 2003 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gtman wrote on Wed, 19 November 2003 15:20

just as a sidepoint as well, I didn't think you were allowed to put in an engine older then the one you're replacing and it still be legal? Or is that just WA rules? Confused

Quite correct, but 18R-GEU's were released from the factory in RA63 Celica's, meaning it should be legal in any RA6x. The key is to get an 18R-GEU, not one of the earlier 18R-G's.
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Finaly its time... Wed, 19 November 2003 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gotcha. I didn't think they made 18rg's that late. Learn something new everyday Smile
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Finaly its time... Wed, 19 November 2003 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've looked into it in victoria.
We can replace the engine with another of similar size and make and its considered legal. The age doesn't matter, whether it will pass emisions is another thing alltogether though.
Yeah I should of noted that i had an ra65, their only 1170kg kerb so i doubt its anything like a BIG car. A 4cyl should be plenty.
I think i might just go find myself a crapper of an engine and rebuild it. but before i do that i'll be looking around. SSS automotive stock 18r-geus so i'll give them a call tomorow and try to find out what kind of condition and warranty i get on them. Is getting a 100,000km or 3year waranty, whatever comes first a common thing on recod engines?
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: Finaly its time... Wed, 19 November 2003 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that engine older than car rule cant be right for wa?

there are heaps of VR's, VN's running old carby v8s
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Finaly its time... Wed, 19 November 2003 21:35 Go to previous message
100 000 or 3 yr warranty

which planet are u on

its hard to give descent warranty on recon engines especially when they know the are going to be thrashed

nearly all importers give u like a month warranty from when u pick up the engine

some might give you the engine then once it is fitted they will send you the ecu
so the one month warranty starts from when u get the ecu
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Wheel alignment products - where would you buy from?
Next Topic:Mk2 + Suspension = Awesome (vids)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 06:47:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055379867553711 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.