Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
zorrt
Occasional Poster

November 2003
Amp and Speaker Setup Wed, 19 November 2003 10:18 Go to next message
Hi again,

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should power all 4 of my speakers via a 4 channel amp. My front speakers are 5" rated at 45watt rms, my rears are 7 * 10 rated at 80watt rms, and amp is 4 channel each 50watt rms. Atm Ive bridged my amp (which gives me a total of 2 * 150watt rms) to power my rear speakers but I would like to know what is an optimum setting to power my front speakers also. I was thinking of leaving my amp channels bridged and runnin my speakers in a series to power all 4 speakers but I'm scared if this would overload my amp. All four speakers are rated at 4ohms. Thanks in advanced.
  Send a private message to this user    
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Amp and Speaker Setup Wed, 19 November 2003 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
firstly, id u have bridged your rears in series u will be putting out approx the same if they were running a channel each, but u just now have no stereo separation Sad

if u have run them in parallel, u will be putting approx 120-{maybe}150rms in to the rears TOGETHER, this will bring the amp down to a 2 ohm load for the rear channels, this may already be over loading the amp, not worth killing your amp for 10-20wrms per speaker

best is just go 1 speaker per channel

but scan the specs page and post it or email to philmelvin@hotmail.com and i'll have a look

[Updated on: Wed, 19 November 2003 10:37]

zorrt
Occasional Poster

November 2003
Re: Amp and Speaker Setup Wed, 19 November 2003 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its a jaycar response amp, and according to the specs when bridged it will give 2 * 150watt rms @ 4ohms. Each bridged channel are powering my rear speakers, only thing is I would like to find a way of powering my front speakers using the same amp as my head unit is sucky at doing the job.

I was thinking of using one bridged channel to power one of my front left speaker and left rear, and the other to power the right front and right rear and each in a series. Good or bad idea?
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: Amp and Speaker Setup Wed, 19 November 2003 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
50 wrms is enough to run 7x10s

just run all 4 speakers off the amp, one per channel
but just turn down the gain for the front less than the rears
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Amp and Speaker Setup Wed, 19 November 2003 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not sure on the response amps but you could possibly run a speaker off each channel and load the rear 2 channels down using coils to make the reaer channels run at 2 ohms but I don't recommend this on the newer amps.
otherwise ditch the 7x10's get a hold of a dual voice coil 10 inch sub and a pair of coaxial 6 inch speakers.
run the front speakers off 2 channels, the sub bridged off two channels and the coaxials off the head unit as rear fill.
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: Amp and Speaker Setup Thu, 20 November 2003 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah thats a good idea too
failing that, get a DVC 10" sub as he mentioned, and get another pair of 5"
and run both left 5's off one channel, the right 5's off another, and wire the sub in series, and bridge that across the last 2 channels
this will give you good sound, and muuuch better bass than 7x10's
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Amp and Speaker Setup Thu, 20 November 2003 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cressida Supra wrote on Thu, 20 November 2003 11:28

yeah thats a good idea too
failing that, get a DVC 10" sub as he mentioned, and get another pair of 5"
and run both left 5's off one channel, the right 5's off another, and wire the sub in series, and bridge that across the last 2 channels
this will give you good sound, and muuuch better bass than 7x10's

Except that you will lose you front to rear control, and the rear speakers should match the fronts for peak power.
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: Amp and Speaker Setup Thu, 20 November 2003 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm gathering he has either only a 2 channel output deck, or 2 channel + sub
so he has no control anyway

i've had no control over front and rear ever, and i couldnt give a shit, its makes no difference to the sound
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Amp and Speaker Setup Thu, 20 November 2003 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's a valid point. I have this theory that if the head unit has it, utilise it. And I was assuming 3 pairs of outputs (front, rear, sub) I like front/rear control but that is personal preferance and I only use rear as fill (ie front is where the sound is, rear is for filling in the difference between the low sub freq. and the front high end)

Zorrt, What are the specs on the head unit? how many pre outs?
what is the output power of the internal amp.?
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: Amp and Speaker Setup Thu, 20 November 2003 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
definately if the headunit has it use it
but mine has F+R or F+S, and i'm using F+S, until i can afford a new deck for F+R+S (i'd rather spend the 1500$ on a 1uz manual conversion Evil or Very Mad )

having said that, i would rather have control over my sub, than over the fade. i just know how much better speakers sound off an amp than a deck
deck will put out at most 26wrms per channel, and that amp is pushing out close to 50wrms, so its gotta sound better (providing the speakers arent to cheap, but @45wrms, they shouldnt be)
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Amp and Speaker Setup Thu, 20 November 2003 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, totally agree on the sub control over the fade control.
My taste in a set up dictates that my fronts run 75% front, 25% rear so the need to amplify the rear is really non existant unless I'm running hugh amounts of power or I drive a wagon (where the rear speakers are way back)
I like my sound comming from in front (imaging) not blasting me from the rear. In fact the last car I had only had 1 speaker in the rear located central to the cab running off the deck. All the quality components were in the front and only moderatly powered.

however the last 2 decks I've had have had 3 preouts no internal amp and digital time alignment so that is a totally different kettle of fish.
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: Amp and Speaker Setup Thu, 20 November 2003 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, 3 preouts and DTA are my next step up, but not for a while

i got the same splits in the rear as i have in the front, and i can easily hear the fronts over the rears. although i cant remember what the gains on my amp are. AFAIK i set the front and rears at the same level, but that could have changed. i seriously cant remember

but your right, it definately comes down to individual taste
we can give as much help/advice as we can possibly give, and in the end its up to the buyer
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Amp and Speaker Setup Thu, 20 November 2003 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very true. Smile
Personally I look at Sound Quality and staging, where as most of the people I have delt with want Doof Doof.
Different strokes for different blokes.
zorrt
Occasional Poster

November 2003
Re: Amp and Speaker Setup Thu, 20 November 2003 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well my head unit is a sony one, the model number is CDX-C6800X. Lets see, on the face it goes its 50watts, rms most prob like 18watt or something and has 4 preouts.

Well the reason why I got 7*10 is because I didnt want a sub otherwise I'll have to fork out more money to buy splits for the front and then I would of wasted money on the front speakers I already have plus I would need some way of mounting the splits so sub is out of the question for now.

I also agree with you guys that sound imaging is more important than the doof doof thats why I'm lookin for a way to power up my front speakers without sacrificing power to my rears. But I might just hook up all four speakers to all four channels on my amp just to give it a shot and see how I like it this weekend tho.

My front are the JBL GTO cant remember the number, the 5" ones so I assume they're OK. Only prob is that they're very poorly mounted as it doesnt fit properly in the stock location (under the dash) for the speakers, its a AE92. Anyone got any suggestions as to where I should mount them which gives a good balance of sound? I was thinkin the kickpanel but Im not too sure how much and where I can get the kickpanel boxes thingo.

Btw thanks for the replies guys.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Amp and Speaker Setup Thu, 20 November 2003 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
O.k we have specs...
This is what I would do (my personal opinion open to flaming)
Your 2 pre outs would be either front/rear or front/rear,sub
ie you can run either a sub or rears off the second set.
So I would run the fronts off 2 channels and the rears off 2 channels, have the gains on the front a little higher than than the rear. The amp you have I assume is the one with the blue cover? if so it has a crossover knob on it as well which ranges from 50Hz to 500Hz, Check the box that your 7x10's came inn there will be a digram of the frequency range look at it and see the lowest the 7x10 will go down to (should be below 50Hz) if it is below set the Hi/Lo to 50Hz for the rear. If it as above 50Hz set the hi/lo to just above. for the fronts I would have the Hi/lo set to about 400-450Hz to start with.
Set the volume to where you like it when your cruising,set the fade so front and rear are equal, turn off things like D-bass, Bass expandors or any of those bottoms that are usually on in Hondas and see how it sounds, you're looking for distortion in the front and rear and how well the front and rears match each other. If there is distortion back off the gains on those channels. If the base from the 7x10's is blurry or muddy bring up the hi/lo a little until it becomes solid.
Other than that you can turn you head unit up until clipping volume and adjust the gains until the distortion starts and back it off a little (1/8 turn) do this with bass expander buttons on.
this will give you the setup that won't detroy speakers as they are never goint to distort no matter where in the volume range you are listening. I would recomment using the bass expanders only when listening at lower volumnes to enhance base.

As for mounting, under the dash isn't the most idealistic place, in the kick panels or in the doors is much more preferable.
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: Amp and Speaker Setup Fri, 21 November 2003 00:03 Go to previous message
yep, in a nutshell, thats what i'd do too
but just to expand on what lambo said, run a high pass filter on the fronts, at about 250Hz, and if possible, a high pass filter on the rears at about 50-60Hz, depending how low the amp goes

and you may have to have the gains for the rears up slightly more, as they require more power

apart from that, its all up to your ears and taste

and definately try to put the fronts in the doors, i dont think there will be enough room in the drivers kickpanel for the speaker. and they will sound much better in the doors
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:progress report
Next Topic:Someone's flogging the EPC on Ebay!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 06:41:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0067319869995117 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.