Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 20v need to be engineered?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Corvid
Regular

May 2002
20v need to be engineered? Fri, 21 November 2003 02:28 Go to next message
Hey fellas,

Got a bit of a question out of curiosity..
Say you replace a 4A-C/4AGE with a 20-Valve.. do you need to get a eng. Cert? Same capacity etc.. so i would think its just a RTA Number change?
is this correcT?

Thanks,

Lyle
  Send a private message to this user    
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 20v need to be engineered? Fri, 21 November 2003 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but its a significant increase in power..requiring cert.
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: 20v need to be engineered? Fri, 21 November 2003 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the engine was not originally available in the car, so yes..
Roseboy
Regular

May 2002

Re: 20v need to be engineered? Fri, 21 November 2003 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not necessarily, depending on the state.

I put a 5MGE into my MX62 Cressida (had the 5ME), same capacity, just a twin cam and a lot more power. I rang the RTA and they said its just an engine number change. No big deal. I'm in SA however.

I guess ring and find out?
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 20v need to be engineered? Fri, 21 November 2003 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I put a 4age 16v in AE86 aus spec sprinter which came with 4AC. Was just a engine change certificate.

I talked to engineer and he and the RTA said no way just a blue slip for engine number change.

Even NRMA will insure the car Smile
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 20v need to be engineered? Fri, 21 November 2003 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in NSW (i assume you are), the "code of practice for light vehicle modification" says that it is owner certified (so just eng number change) IF:
-replacement motor is less than 15% increase in capacity over the largest optional engine for your car
AND
- replacement motor is less than 15% in engine power.

from the COPfLVM.
Quote:

engine conversions can also be treated as owner certified if the engine or modification is an original manufacturers option for the vehicle however, any other components (such as brakes, transmissions, suspension, exhaust etc) which were packaged by the manufacturer as part of the original specification for the replacement engine MUST also be fitted

most 4AC cars in Aus never had the option of 4AG, so it must be cert'd. NO cars in Aus had the 20V as an option, so it MUST be cert'd.
check with a reputable engineer first. save a headache later.
as far as insurance goes, Shannons will insure pretty much any car as long as it is engineered properly, and garaged.

Cya, Stewart

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 20v need to be engineered? Fri, 21 November 2003 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All I can say after speaking to RTA (not website but by phone) and Engineer that the 16v conversion is allowed in the AE86. A cat and unleaded neck had to be fitted that was all.
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 20v need to be engineered? Wed, 26 November 2003 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im in the same vote as turbora28, no cert needed, the motor is similar capacity and both are 4a engines
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 20v need to be engineered? Fri, 28 November 2003 08:21 Go to previous message
Quote:

engine conversions can also be treated as owner certified if the engine or modification is an original manufacturers option for the vehicle however, any other components (such as brakes, transmissions, suspension, exhaust etc) which were packaged by the manufacturer as part of the original specification for the replacement engine MUST also be fitted

I don't believe that the words "original manufacturer's option for the vehivle" are specifically limited to Australian manufacture only. In fact im sure this is NOT the case.

For instance, putting an 18R-GU into my RA28 is owner certifiable becuase the engine was a factory option in my model car from the manufacturer. All i have to do is keep the EGR and other pollution gear, and the rest was the same.

THUS!!

# Putting a 20V into an AE92 DOES REQUIRE ENGINEERING, because the 4A-GE 20V was NOT available in the AE92 from factory. This would not be the case if the car were an AE101 however!

# Putting a 4A-GE into an AE86 does not require engineering, because in japan the AE86 was available from factory with a 4a-ge. BUT - you must replace the brakes, diff, and associated pollution gear... which does not include a catalytic converter (as has been confirmed by the RTA emissions testing centre in Penrith). I also do not think an unleaded neck is required, but i dont really know... maybe if the AE86 with 4age in Japan has an unleaded neck?

Im open to dispute of course though
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:commodore brakes onto celica struts?
Next Topic:does the AE71 have leaf sprung rear end?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 05:23:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058720111846924 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.