Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » MA70 Aircon re-gas RN12 gas?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

MA70 Aircon re-gas RN12 gas? Sat, 15 November 2003 03:20 Go to next message
Anyone got any info on the RN12 gas?? and if thay have it on there toyota?

Allan
  Send a private message to this user    
BansheeBuzz
Regular

January 2003
Re: MA70 Aircon re-gas RN12 gas? Sat, 15 November 2003 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your car would have originally had r12. rn12 sounds like one of those nasty blend gases(drop in replacement)
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA70 Aircon re-gas RN12 gas? Sat, 15 November 2003 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm guessing you meant R12. and I'd suggest unless you want to convert over to r134a and have to replace a few things around the system. Use sp34(I'm pretty sure thats it) it's a "temporary replacement" gas that was introduced to be used during the cross over of r12 system, you(if you have a refrigerant handling lisence) can still buy it over the counter. so find a fridgy who will charge it with this, I dont know of many auto electricians who do air con for cars who use this gas as most want you to change over to r134a
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA70 Aircon re-gas RN12 gas? Fri, 21 November 2003 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I need to re-gas mine (as the gas mysteriously vanished during the engine conversion....), and was quoted $425 to change to R134a. Shocked Currently it has some refrigerator gas in it from a fridgy mate of my dads, but only enough to hold pressure and stop moisture getting in.

Is sp34 what refridgerators use? Can it be used in the car?

I guess all the auto air-con places would be the same - only offering R134a?

Cheers,
Caelum

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: MA70 Aircon re-gas RN12 gas? Fri, 21 November 2003 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
most auto-sparkies that do aircon will only install R134a...

and if you're getting a your system converted, you may have to allow for a new compressor - as well as usual bits: dryer/collector, TX valve, piping, etc...

it might be cheaper fo you to source a new internal unit and get the TX valve replaced - then waste you own time installing it (saves paying someone to rip you dash apart when you can do it for the price of 9 beers and the skin of 7 knuckles).

i've got the RA40 in having various under-bonnet bits re-plumbed (to avoid turbo and intercooler bits) as well as converted and gassed to suit R134a - and so far i'm at $1100 Shocked but that includes rebuilding the $50 compressor i got from the wreckers. <ouch>

charles.
DAMO
Regular

May 2002
Re: MA70 Aircon re-gas RN12 gas? Fri, 21 November 2003 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As far as I know R12 is still available to a licenced refrig mechanic but they are not allowed to put it in your car. I've just converted to r134a and to do it properly all your supposed to do is change o rings, install high pressure switch which I installed in reciever/dryer, change the oil to a synthetic type, and screw on some r134a fill point adapters onto your r12 fill points. After saying all that I have a mate who is an auto-elec and in old cars he just bungs the r134a gas into a r12 system without changing a thing and hasnt had a problem so he reckons. Apparently you will have to be licenced to buy r134a gas as of next year.

[Updated on: Fri, 21 November 2003 08:46]

Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA70 Aircon re-gas RN12 gas? Fri, 21 November 2003 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you have to be liscenced to buy it already...
DAMO
Regular

May 2002
Re: MA70 Aircon re-gas RN12 gas? Fri, 21 November 2003 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bought some a couple of months back and I'm not licensed.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA70 Aircon re-gas RN12 gas? Fri, 21 November 2003 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
consider yourself lucky.. but yeah places may sell it to you but it is a crime for them to sell it to you when your unliscenced and it is also a crime for you to have it.. let alone use it.. with out a liscence.

you need a CFC/HCFC buyer / handler liscence, which is issued by the department of fair trading.
DAMO
Regular

May 2002
Re: MA70 Aircon re-gas RN12 gas? Fri, 21 November 2003 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shit I'll have to put it under my barbecue and change the sticker to LPG. Could Melbourne be different as the guy told me it was as of next year you needed to be licenced.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA70 Aircon re-gas RN12 gas? Fri, 21 November 2003 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's a national law.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA70 Aircon re-gas RN12 gas? Fri, 21 November 2003 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some more ringing around and I can get a re-gas with a R12 replacement gas (butane derivative based) for $140 plus parts. They mentioned I might need a replacement receiver/dryer and other parts (I'm guessing o-rings and valve).

This seems better value....

Also LPG has been used as a refridgerant before - it's works very very well but people had concerns with flammability! Yet they drive around with a tank full of the stuff in the boot and a shitty carby setup under the bonnet Shocked
IMHO the only reason LPG isn't used more often is because it can't be patented like R12 etc. Thus no-one can make any money from it. It's a bit strange that suddenly R12 is harmful to the environment just as the patent ends....and so a new one is required.. /rant Smile
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA70 Aircon re-gas RN12 gas? Fri, 21 November 2003 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
straight lpg isnt that good but there are propane based refrigerants..the name illudes me of the brand name..

r12 has harmed the environment from day one but it wasnt until global warming and ozone depletion became an issue that governments around the world looked into the stoppage of use of CFCs and using HCFCs as a intermittant subistitute, and HFCs being the best substitute.

propane has become very popular in europe but in australia with such high ambient temperatures the head pressure can get up too much. (a new gas out which is meant to be the bees knees 410a is going to find similar problems in australia, but you can get good efficency out of it so that is why it'll be used.)
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA70 Aircon re-gas RN12 gas? Fri, 21 November 2003 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I must also advise besides being illegal for an un lisnced person to play with refrigerants. they can be very dangerous as it can cause major burns.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: MA70 Aircon re-gas RN12 gas? Mon, 24 November 2003 00:12 Go to previous message
I just got my wifes car transferred from R12 to the new stuff.

All up for the recharge, new filter, change of fittings and whatever else was required, it cost $240.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:13" Wheel Question
Next Topic:4AGE into TE72 (T-18)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 11 20:03:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0063779354095459 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.