Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
xtigerx
Regular

April 2003

icon5.gif  Back Pressures Fri, 21 November 2003 07:34 Go to next message
Can anyone please clarify this....

Turbo cars: best exhaust would be a straight through, hi flow system.

N/A: best exhaust would be not TOO big, say for a 1ZZ-FE. max would be 2 1/4". straight through is NOT good because n/a require back pressure. the difference between press and mandrel, is it noticeable on a n/a?

Can anyone clarify this???????
  Send a private message to this user    
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Back Pressures Sat, 22 November 2003 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
engines need back pressure to work better, the reasont turbo cars need a huge zorst is cause its best not to have back pressure AFTER the turbo cause it'll just "choke" the turbo, the turbine acts as the back pressure for the engine

what cc is a 1zzfe
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Back Pressures Sat, 22 November 2003 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1800cc iirc ?
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Back Pressures Sat, 22 November 2003 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2.25 would be ok, since they rev so hard.

if they didnt have vvti itd only need 2.0 i reckon
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Back Pressures Sat, 22 November 2003 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOl, back pressure Smile
my 4K goes rather nicely with 2".

the velocity of the turbine benefits from having a higher pressure drop across the turbo. this allows more expansion after the turbine.

backpressure helps if you have a V8 with 300deg cams, since you need backpressure to keep the intake charge IN the cylinder Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

if you choose your cam right, backpressure has no benefit.

resonance tuned exhaust manifold on the other hand......

NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
Re: Back Pressures Sat, 22 November 2003 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Sat, 22 November 2003 17:46

resonance tuned exhaust manifold on the other hand......

Care to elaborate...?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Back Pressures Sat, 22 November 2003 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sigh.. well.. i was just going to say the google thing but..
oh, and check out billzilas page, it has a nice graph regarding the lengths. also check out Philip Smiths intake and exhaust book (i thnk it's the scientific design of intake and exhaust systems.

the basic premise is that:
if the reflected negative pressure pulse reaches the exhaust valve just before the valve closes, this negative pressure will help scavenge the exhaust remaining in the cylinder, and will also give a bit of a velocity boost to the incoming fresh charge.

4 into 1 and 4-2-1 extracors work differently, and require different lengths, since with 4-2-1, you have two different reflections, but you are most effectively using 2 seperate pairs of cylinders. 4-1 you have the reflection affecting each of the other cylinders.

for a 4-2-1 tuned for 5500rpm, primary and secondary length may be around 1.25 feet long, with the collector about 2.5 feet long.

it is similar to Helmholtz tuning of intakes, except that for intakes, you want a positive pressure pulse hitting the valve just as it's closing.

how do you think F1 motors reach such high volumetric efficiency? exhaust and intake tuning to effectively give it an NA supercharge Very Happy

Philmelvin, you have "Tuned lenght extractors", surely they are tuned to scavenge the cylinders, not give back pressure? not trying to have a go at you, but i don't agree with the back pressure thing Smile

Cya, Stewart

Cya, Stewart
xtigerx
Regular

April 2003

Re: Back Pressures Sat, 22 November 2003 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1zz-fe is a 1800cc
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Back Pressures Sat, 22 November 2003 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Sat, 22 November 2003 17:44

sigh.. well.. i was just going to say the google thing but..
oh, and check out billzilas page, it has a nice graph regarding the lengths. also check out Philip Smiths intake and exhaust book (i thnk it's the scientific design of intake and exhaust systems.

the basic premise is that:
if the reflected negative pressure pulse reaches the exhaust valve just before the valve closes, this negative pressure will help scavenge the exhaust remaining in the cylinder, and will also give a bit of a velocity boost to the incoming fresh charge.

4 into 1 and 4-2-1 extracors work differently, and require different lengths, since with 4-2-1, you have two different reflections, but you are most effectively using 2 seperate pairs of cylinders. 4-1 you have the reflection affecting each of the other cylinders.

for a 4-2-1 tuned for 5500rpm, primary and secondary length may be around 1.25 feet long, with the collector about 2.5 feet long.

it is similar to Helmholtz tuning of intakes, except that for intakes, you want a positive pressure pulse hitting the valve just as it's closing.

how do you think F1 motors reach such high volumetric efficiency? exhaust and intake tuning to effectively give it an NA supercharge Very Happy

Philmelvin, you have "Tuned lenght extractors", surely they are tuned to scavenge the cylinders, not give back pressure? not trying to have a go at you, but i don't agree with the back pressure thing Smile

Cya, Stewart

Cya, Stewart

well.........that just fucked everything i was taught about exhausts Rolling Eyes

edit: i did know about this tho
Quote:

piss-ant attempt to redeem my self Crying or Very Sad

[Updated on: Sat, 22 November 2003 09:30]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Back Pressures Sat, 22 November 2003 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Author: Smith, Philip H. (Philip Hubert), 1906-
Title : The scientific design of exhaust and intake systems / by Philip H. Smith, in collaboration with John C. Morrison.
Edition 3d ed.
Publication Details : Cambridge, Mass. : R. Bentley, 1971.
Format : Book
Description : 274 p. : ill. ; 22 cm.
ISBN 0837603099

rollawagon
Occasional Poster

November 2003
Re: Back Pressures Sat, 22 November 2003 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
turbo cars is best to go mandrel of the turbo to cat or first muffler, unless you are doing big revs press bent is sufficent for the extra money you pay on mandrel only marginal gain unless doing big revs.just make sure you get good mufflers that flow.

JAZE
xtigerx
Regular

April 2003

Re: Back Pressures Sun, 23 November 2003 09:00 Go to previous message
well, i got a high flow cat and full Lukey system.

Lukey is pretty good, right?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:20V into KE30
Next Topic:Broken 4AGZE piston analysis-part 2 (4 pics, so might be slow)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 10 08:39:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.083631038665771 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.