Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Admins - About these forums (5) 0 Vote(s)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Admins - About these forums Mon, 20 May 2002 10:54 Go to next message
Ok... somethings you get used to after a while, but this new forum look is starting to get annoying.

My gripes:
- Forum list text and default msg text sizes are too small.
- The light purple text on light grey is horrible to read... makes it very hard to read the thread titles in the forum list.
- Why aren't the forums being ordered by last reply date?

Thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Admins - About these forums Mon, 20 May 2002 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree, the text blows hairy nut sacks!
Too damm small for my blind eyes!
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Admins - About these forums Mon, 20 May 2002 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm... What resolution screen are you guys using? The text is fine with me and I've checked on 1600x1200, 1024x768, and 800x600 resolutions.

What light purple text?

And the threads ARE ordered by reply date... There are just Sticky threads and Announcements which always remain at the top.
MaNGeW
Forums Junkie

Formerly TRD_RoLLa

May 2002
Re: Admins - About these forums Mon, 20 May 2002 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are unhappy regarding the colour scheme. You can try another. 3 different colour schemes available. Just have a look in your profile settings.
HTH Wink
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Admins - About these forums Mon, 20 May 2002 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark -
Im running 1280x960 on my 17".
But im also use Opera as my browser... not that it should make any difference as it uses the same fonts as IE.
Hmmm... with a ruler, i measure the deafult mesg text as being 2mm high.

Ooops... sorry, not light purple.
Light blue on the grey background in the forum thread list.

I thought they would be ordered by date.
Its just that quite often i see threads in the forums that havnt had a reply since ive visited being listed higher than those that have had replies.

Ill try the diff themes, but i think i tried a diff one when the new forums came online, and it didnt make any difference.

Update...
I just tried the 3 diff themes, but for some reason no matter what i select, it keeps going back to the "Toymods Alternate Theme" after i hit the update button.

Another Update...
Ok that was my fault, i wasnt filling in my password why trying to change the profile settings.
So now im using "Toymods Theme" and text size is now larger, a good size.
But i still have to complain about the light blue link colors (HTML color #006699). I think you will find that if you make it a little darker like #005070, the thread lists will be much easier to read.

Thanks.

[Updated on: Mon, 20 May 2002 15:27]

Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Admins - About these forums Mon, 20 May 2002 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M.W.P. wrote

Nark -
Im running 1280x960 on my 17".

When running that sort of res on a 17" monitor your DPI will be pretty high, and make the text look small.

M.W.P. wrote

I thought they would be ordered by date.
Its just that quite often i see threads in the forums that havnt had a reply since ive visited being listed higher than those that have had replies.

Sometimes a person edits a message in the thread which will cause it to go to the top. But otherwise threads are sorted by last post/edit date.

M.W.P. wrote

But i still have to complain about the light blue link colors (HTML color #006699). I think you will find that if you make it a little darker like #005070, the thread lists will be much easier to read.

I've created a new style called "Toymods Medium Font" with the changes you suggested, give that a go and let me know what you think, and what other changes you would like. It's still using "Verdana" as the main font, as opposed to the "Toymods Default" which uses "Tahoma" (which I find a bit hard to read).

rgrds
sam
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Admins - About these forums Tue, 21 May 2002 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep... thats better thanks.

I dont know what it is though... cant put my finger on it.
Its still just not as easy to read as the old forums.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Admins - About these forums Tue, 21 May 2002 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats better, I changed to the new theme! Much easier on the eyes.
Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Admins - About these forums Tue, 21 May 2002 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M.W.P. wrote on Tue, 21 May 2002 4:54 PM

I dont know what it is though... cant put my finger on it. Its still just not as easy to read as the old forums.

I think it's the font, or the text spacing. I'll experiment a bit with different fonts and stuff and see how it comes out.

rgrds
sam
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Admins - About these forums Tue, 21 May 2002 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm... I'm a great fan of using Verdana on websites... Maybe we should change the font...

The colours are exactly the same, I suppose the links in the old forums were black. We could try that, might help.

Update: OK, I've created a new style called ToyMods Verdana Black.... Pretty descriptive... I've changed the font to Verdana, made the links black, and also got rid of the underline...
Check it out and tell me what you think..

[Updated on: Tue, 21 May 2002 08:34]

Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Admins - About these forums Tue, 21 May 2002 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Max, that's getting pretty close to the old ones.

I'm almost convinced that the reason the old forums where easier to read is due to the line spacing between text, which is bigger on the old forums. I just need to figure out the CSS property for increasing it - anyone?

M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Admins - About these forums Tue, 21 May 2002 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats getting closer...

Ok... i think:
- Make the mesg text black in Verdana also... i think it was this, not the small font size that was the problem before. Yes, im going to sound stupid here, but maybe drop the font sizes back down a notch.
- Make in the user info on the left a lot smaller like the old forums... itll reduce the gap at the bottom of replies when there isnt much text (like in Sams reply above).
- If the forum thread listing, see if you can get the "Last Post" and "Started On" "By:" second line up onto the end of the first line (hope that makes sense). At the moment, its this which is making the gap between the threads in the listing big, making it harder to easily read/scan-over the thread titles.

[update]
Ok... the purple mesg text is my fault.
The default text color is purple if none is specifed by the page (under Opera)... which i guess is the case here. Can you chnage it so the mesg text is a specific color?

[Updated on: Tue, 21 May 2002 12:24]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Admins - About these forums Tue, 21 May 2002 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dont drop the font sizes back down a notch...Its great the way it is..
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Admins - About these forums Tue, 21 May 2002 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well ive been playing around with the CSS quite a bit and ive come up with these changes:

a:link - 11px
a:visited - 11px
a:hover - 11px
a.CatLink - 11px
.CatDesc - 11px
.CatLockedName - 11px
.GenText - 9px (makes user info smaller)
.GenLink - 11px
.SmallText - 9px
.DateText - 8px (help reduce gap in forum thread list)
.LevelText - 9px (makes user info smaller)
.quote - color: #808080 (easier to read quotes)
.MsgBodyText - color: #000000 (add this)
.MsgBodyText - 11px

If possible remove the <br> before the "By:" in the forum threads source, and make the users name after the "By:" use the same CSS as DateTime, but bold it.
If it doesnt fit properly after that... maybe remove the post and date time altogther, and just leave the users name (like UBB forums do).

Maybe remove the "[add to buddy list]" and "[ignore all posts by this user]" from the users info in msg threads. Will help remove msg gap. People can still do those two things in user prefs anyway.

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon1.gif  Re: Admins - About these forums Tue, 21 May 2002 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Sam,

http://www.usask.ca/mirrors/indexdot/css/index.htm l

I'll leave this to you since I have a flight out of here in a few hours... Smile

Man, my post count is gonna suck when I get back... Wink
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Admins - About these forums Tue, 21 May 2002 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha... passing off the hard work, good job Nark Wink
Enjoy your holiday.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Admins - About these forums Tue, 21 May 2002 17:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK. I've changed the Message Subject Style and Message Body Style from 12px to 10pt. This is the same size as the old forums.

Check it out, the changes were done to the ToyMods Verdana Black style.
faulksy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Admins - About these forums Tue, 21 May 2002 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is there any way of getting rid of that huge gap under everyones messages? Its HUGE and makes the posts slighty annoying to read. But beside that I love the new forum
Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Admins - About these forums Tue, 21 May 2002 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We are going to try to move some of the info in the left hand down to the bottom menu bar along with the other icons, this should free up some space and make the posts vertically shorter, but it means playing around with the code, which I wanted to try and avoid (since if we upgrade we will lose the changes). Maybe we can get the changes merged into the main software.

rgrds
sam
Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Admins - About these forums Tue, 21 May 2002 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Tue, 21 May 2002 11:14 PM

Dont drop the font sizes back down a notch...Its great the way it is..

We can always create a seperate theme for those who like the text a bit smaller - one of the great things about this forum software.

rgrds
sam
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Admins - About these forums Wed, 22 May 2002 10:45 Go to previous message
And thats a good thing about Opera... resizable web pages Smile
Im viewing these forums at 90% at the moment, and its a quite comfortable size.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:what other forums people go to?
Next Topic:Have Your Say - F3 to Sydney Orbital Link Study
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 31 05:22:30 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057151317596436 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.