Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Sun, 23 November 2003 09:52 Go to next message
howdy folks...

well, here she is, 95% finished - just waiting on the odd bit of machining, and some intake connectors etc. 14 months in the making, and a lot of effort by a lot of people to get her here. A big thanks goes out to:

-Wilkins Performance Engines (Graham Wilkins)
-GT Tooling (Geoff O'Toole)
-Stuart Wilkins
-Phil Riles
-GK Tooling
-NAS Automotive

As well as the friendly folks of:
www.toymods.org.au
www.performanceforums.com
www.eng-tips.com

notably:
-gianttomato
-rob_ra40
-stenno
-gts_boy

ENGINE SPECS:

-7M-GE 3.0L 24v DOHC I6
-83.5mm bore 91.0mm stroke
-7M-GTE Block - oil squirters
-ported and polished port and chamber
-ported and matched manifolds
-custom upper manifold with cobra twin 57mm t/b
-FGK tuned mandrel exhaust manifold
-Custom machined pistons and block
-HKS 1.2mm metal head gasket
-10.7:1 static compression ratio
-bottom end: ground, balanced and polised and blueprinted
-ARP b/e fasteners
-MSD superconductor leads
-TRD clutch

+lots of little custom machined bits

http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/loats/toymods/7mge23-11-03/000_0136.jpg

http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/loats/toymods/7mge23-11-03/000_0114.jpg

http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/loats/toymods/7mge23-11-03/000_0142.jpg

http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/loats/toymods/7mge23-11-03/000_0116.jpg

http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/loats/toymods/7mge23-11-03/000_0117.jpg

http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/loats/toymods/7mge23-11-03/000_0128.jpg

http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/loats/toymods/7mge23-11-03/000_0141.jpg

Cheers ya'll!
ed

[Updated on: Sun, 23 November 2003 10:54]

Send a private message to this user    
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Sun, 23 November 2003 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh man and I was planning on recycling these pants tomorrow... I can't now, they're all sticky. Embarassed
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Sun, 23 November 2003 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very nice Shocked But its a pitty you copied my idea with the yellow block Mad Razz
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Sun, 23 November 2003 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Now we just need to find some cams for you....TODA have some nice 7MGE ones (304 degrees and 11 mm lift). One small problem was the price tag.....1K EACH. They also had a lovely shim under bucket kit for about 2K.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Sun, 23 November 2003 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah...

berserk cams are for the next engine. the 7m will have enough trouble fighting its way to 7000 rpm as it is. and for the few hp it would achieve in the mid rpm band - wasnt worth the dollars Sad

should be interesting to see fire up in current form none-the-less Nod

cheers
ed
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Sun, 23 November 2003 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks good... damn good for a 7M! Razz
DLuded
Regular

June 2003
Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Sun, 23 November 2003 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats looks so good. anyway where did u get the TGK tuned mandrel exhaust manifold and for how much?? u can PM me if u want
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Sun, 23 November 2003 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that is beautiful ed Smile
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Sun, 23 November 2003 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DLuded wrote on Sun, 23 November 2003 21:27

thats looks so good. anyway where did u get the TGK tuned mandrel exhaust manifold and for how much?? u can PM me if u want

sorry, edit: FGK headers (fujitsubo)

http://www.fujitsubo.co.jp/

i cant find the 7m still listed in there, but for comparison, nissan RB25DE in stainless goes for about 135,000Yen

http://www.fujitsubo.co.jp/search/prod-v.php3?prod ID=000000000000001156&cnamID=

http://www.fujitsubo.co.jp/imglib/diag/000000000000001156.jpg

[Updated on: Sun, 23 November 2003 11:16]

BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Sun, 23 November 2003 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pity its not a 2J Razz

Looks very sexy though Smile
Should sound tough

What are the stock bore and stroke?
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Sun, 23 November 2003 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
very nice ed.
Good to see you've done most of the hard work yourself and have started from scratch and build yourself a masterpiece.

Well done.
Blake.
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Sun, 23 November 2003 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice. now i finally know what that thing in your avatar is. well, ive got some idea of what it is. Confused

good stuff though Very Happy Surprised Surprised
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Sun, 23 November 2003 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fuck me i'm blind,

worked out how u r gonna attach the intake piping to that TB

very nice tho
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Sun, 23 November 2003 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philmelvin wrote on Sun, 23 November 2003 23:25

fuck me i'm blind

Laughing
reckon its enough to count as 'engine rice' ?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Sun, 23 November 2003 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd say yes, but those huge twin mustang throttle bodies staring at me tell me it's not rice
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Sun, 23 November 2003 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philmelvin wrote on Sun, 23 November 2003 23:25

worked out how u r gonna attach the intake piping to that TB

yeah, some formed 85mm tube, with hefty use of crab welding Razz ive also made up a section of eliptical steel plate to mate directly (pics to come)...i think im actually going to use a secion of gumboot to join the sections too (awkward size to get std intake fitting for)... youd not believe how tough gumboots are these days!!
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon6.gif  Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Sun, 23 November 2003 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awesome Dude !!!

Great to see its almost done
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Sun, 23 November 2003 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Now that makes me wonder what colour i should paint my engine Confused Its all gonna be the same bar chrome tappet covers. Rolling Eyes

[Updated on: Sun, 23 November 2003 13:13]

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Sun, 23 November 2003 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, this time i won't say its poopy, cos it aint!

Choice bro!!!
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Sun, 23 November 2003 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SIMDOG wrote on Sun, 23 November 2003 18:06

Oh man and I was planning on recycling these pants tomorrow... I can't now, they're all sticky. Embarassed

u-huh, i'll second that notion

but why is the block yellow?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Sun, 23 November 2003 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cressida Supra wrote on Mon, 24 November 2003 00:26

but why is the block yellow?

well, i had to pick 'a' colour scheme - and one major factor was i wanted a lighter block colour so i could catch leaks early.

its bloody hard trying to come up with a whole scheme across the entire engine. colours that seem good by themselves look shitty as part of an overall picture. and in high temp enamal, there isnt a lot of choice.

ultimately i went with the colours on my website Razz not the best reason, but it worked for me.
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Sun, 23 November 2003 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so does this mean the whole car is going yellow?
or does it still with the block?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Sun, 23 November 2003 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yellow car? eugghhh! god no!

just the block and highlights
engine bay is silver
car will be deep red
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Sun, 23 November 2003 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ed,

Nice looking work there.

I gotta admit, the cam covers look very nice .....

What is the inlet manifold from with the two inlets ? I like the work done integrating the throttle body - I wonder how it'd work if your engine had a 'T' in it Evil or Very Mad

Nice extractors.

So when does it fire up ?

Cheers

Michael B
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Mon, 24 November 2003 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Mon, 24 November 2003 09:43

What is the inlet manifold from with the two inlets ?.... So when does it fire up ?

manifold is custom made Nod
is using the stock ACIS NA dual plane plenum with a Mustang Cobra twin plate throttle body.

3 weeks!!

woooowwwwooooooooooo
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Mon, 24 November 2003 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Mon, 24 November 2003 11:27

bbaacchhyy wrote on Mon, 24 November 2003 09:43

What is the inlet manifold from with the two inlets ?.... So when does it fire up ?

manifold is custom made Nod
is using the stock ACIS NA dual plane plenum with a Mustang Cobra twin plate throttle body.

3 weeks!!

woooowwwwooooooooooo

"Stock ACIS NA dual plane plenum"

ke ? Confused

Michael B
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Mon, 24 November 2003 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

The Acoustic Control Induction System (ACIS) is used in the 7M-GE, 3VZ-FE and 2JZ-GE engines. As with the T-VIS system, the purpose of this system is to improve engine torque throughout the engine RPM range. The system consists of the same basic components as T-VIS and operates similarly. The ACIS system uses a simgle intake air chamber which effectively changes intake runner length as it opens and closes.
ACIS Air Control Valve

The main difference between T-VIS and ACIS is the single butterfly air control valve used in the ACIS system. This valve is located in the center of the intake manifold plenum and is designed to divide the plenum chamber into two sections, a front chamber and a rear chamber. By dividing the manifold plenum into two chambers, the effective manifold runner length can be controlled by opening and closing the valve.

The ECU controls the position of the intake air control valve based on input signals from the throttle angle (VTA) and engine RPM (Ne). The VSV, which controls the vacuum supply to the actuator, is normally closed and passes vacuum to the actuator when it is energized by the ECU.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Mon, 24 November 2003 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Mon, 24 November 2003 12:10

Quote:

The Acoustic Control Induction System (ACIS) is used in the 7M-GE, 3VZ-FE and 2JZ-GE engines. As with the T-VIS system, the purpose of this system is to improve engine torque throughout the engine RPM range. The system consists of the same basic components as T-VIS and operates similarly. The ACIS system uses a simgle intake air chamber which effectively changes intake runner length as it opens and closes.
ACIS Air Control Valve

The main difference between T-VIS and ACIS is the single butterfly air control valve used in the ACIS system. This valve is located in the center of the intake manifold plenum and is designed to divide the plenum chamber into two sections, a front chamber and a rear chamber. By dividing the manifold plenum into two chambers, the effective manifold runner length can be controlled by opening and closing the valve.

The ECU controls the position of the intake air control valve based on input signals from the throttle angle (VTA) and engine RPM (Ne). The VSV, which controls the vacuum supply to the actuator, is normally closed and passes vacuum to the actuator when it is energized by the ECU.

Jesus. That's the last time I ask Ed that type of question .....
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Mon, 24 November 2003 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"it makes more torque"

Laughing

its just a way of tooling with the intake airflow harmonic characteristics to provide a better volumetric efficiency along the rev range (as opposed to the typical single tuned rpm band)
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Mon, 24 November 2003 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so is the ecu being modded? or stand alone replacement?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Mon, 24 November 2003 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
completely stock ecu

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

will see how it runs before i make any further descisons
i have an adjustable fuel pres reg ready to go should it be required, and there are a few things i can tweak to tune it.

ultimately though, the ecu (pre 88) is quite simple, air in, fuel out. the engine isnt drastically different, so there shouldnt be too many sagas.

fingers crossed

[Updated on: Mon, 24 November 2003 02:01]

Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Mon, 24 November 2003 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Mon, 24 November 2003 10:00

completely stock ecu
fingers crossed

Fingers crossed indeed
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Mon, 24 November 2003 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it should behave like a standard 7m all the way really

the only concern i have is the volume of flow experienced by the AFM when the big numbers start getting put out up in the rpm range. the afm may max out its resolution, and then things will start getting lean.

now, the typical map iin that region is horribly rich anyway, so it may not be a problem

secondly, i plan to install a load regulated methanol/h20 injection system, and this actually 'requires' leaner conditions than usual for effective operation. so it could suit quite happily.

ive seen plenty of engines running AFM's thou, that seem to handle extraordinary increases in flow over stock, and still adequately fuel, so things should be the same here.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Mon, 24 November 2003 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hope so anyway Ed! *points to 5M-TE* Confused

Allan
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Mon, 24 November 2003 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Sun, 23 November 2003 23:38

I'd say yes, but those huge twin mustang throttle bodies staring at me tell me it's not rice

is that whats in ed's avatar?

ive learnt something new today

Surprised
bubs
Regular

November 2003
Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Fri, 28 November 2003 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks good

how would a 7M-GE perform in a hilux which would be working in the 1000 - 1800rpm range most of the time? will it still have plenty of torque, and if I push the loud pedal will it take off?

been considering a 5M or 7M for my 82 hilux 4wd

[Updated on: Fri, 28 November 2003 00:31]

bubs
Regular

November 2003
Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Fri, 28 November 2003 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how is the other rocker cover painted up?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Fri, 28 November 2003 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont go 5m - you wont like yorself after going to the trouble of a conversion and coming out with that.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Fri, 28 November 2003 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bubs wrote on Fri, 28 November 2003 11:30

looks good

how would a 7M-GE perform in a hilux which would be working in the 1000 - 1800rpm range most of the time? will it still have plenty of torque, and if I push the loud pedal will it take off?

been considering a 5M or 7M for my 82 hilux 4wd

1.0-1.8k rpm?? thats more diesel territory!!!

the 7m is astoundingly torquey, but realistically, youd be looking at an rpm band of atleast 1.8-2.4k rpm
bubs
Regular

November 2003
Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Fri, 28 November 2003 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1.8 - 2.4k

that might work, i should say it wont be doing less than that at all times and would be coupled to about a 90:1 first gear, so with that torque multiplication it should be ok with a 7M?

what is the throttle response like on the 7M?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Fri, 28 November 2003 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you building a rock crawler?

if so, the 7m would be PLENTY torquey if you gear it right, and keep it in some kind of reasonable rpm band.

throttle response? good enough. to get a torquey intake, the runners are long, so response goes down, but its far, far fron slugish
FreaK
Regular

September 2002

Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Fri, 12 December 2003 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Mon, 24 November 2003 00:13

I hope so anyway Ed! *points to 5M-TE* Confused

Allan

WTF!?!?!?
U SERIOUS???!!!

show me! show me!

(points to the 5M/T3 project sitting various pieces in the living room...) Freak
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Ed's 7M-GE ... Pics Fri, 12 December 2003 02:47 Go to previous message
Dude, that looks incredible. Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ouch
Next Topic:GREAT CAR WEBSITE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-