Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » ga70 overboosting?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
2Lsupra
Regular

November 2003
ga70 overboosting? Mon, 24 November 2003 02:13 Go to next message
hey just need sum help with my ga70,
It runs fine on about 10psi but as soon as wind it up anymore it just hits a "flat spot" of some sort. not sure what you call it but just feels really flat, overboosting or something? is it fuel starvation? would a fuel cut defender rectify this? i jsut thought its a bit weird since i have read plenty of you guys running up to 14 pound everyday...? only mods i have are 3 inch catback, pod filter and GFB mechanical boost controller if that helps.
thanx for any advice guys
  Send a private message to this user    
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ga70 overboosting? Mon, 24 November 2003 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You need a fuel cut defender my friend!

Dan

[Updated on: Mon, 24 November 2003 02:19]

2Lsupra
Regular

November 2003
Re: ga70 overboosting? Mon, 24 November 2003 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh ok i thought that may be the problem. so if i do put one in i proly wouldn't wanna wind it up much past 14psi anyway would i? considering it's a stock 1g-gte...
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ga70 overboosting? Mon, 24 November 2003 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know much about 1G's but i beleive they use the same turbo as the 1J (CT-12??)

I wouldn't be running a stock turbo any higher than 13 or 14 myself without asking for trouble... I would be doing some internal strengthening as well Very Happy

Dan
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ga70 overboosting? Mon, 24 November 2003 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1G's have CT12's which are quite different to the CT12A's found on a 1JZ, and they don't flow anywhere near as much. 13-14psi is probably the upper limit for the turbos, but the engine itself can take heaps more than that without internal strengthening. Like most Toyota engines, the 1G is quite over-engineered.
2Lsupra
Regular

November 2003
Re: ga70 overboosting? Mon, 24 November 2003 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes norbie you seem to know quite a bit, so can you tell me if a fuel cut defender would help my problem and if so are they fairly straight forward to install myself? should only set me back 200 buks or so? do all you other guys with 1g's have fuel cut defenders?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ga70 overboosting? Mon, 24 November 2003 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah a FCD should solve your problems. If it's anything like the FCD I installed on my 2JZ, it should be a piece of piss to install. All you really need is the pinouts for your ECU so you can identify the correct wires, and the ability to solder wires together. Easy stuff.
2Lsupra
Regular

November 2003
Re: ga70 overboosting? Mon, 24 November 2003 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all right i give it a try thanx man
Dabbid
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: ga70 overboosting? Mon, 24 November 2003 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was running 15psi on mine without an FCD
i'd check your AFM
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: ga70 overboosting? Tue, 25 November 2003 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you know what generation your 1G-GTE is?
2Lsupra
Regular

November 2003
Re: ga70 overboosting? Tue, 25 November 2003 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah i dont, because apprantly its a 86 supra, on the ID plates it has the engine as a 1g-gteu. now i thought that the "u" meant it was a water to air intercooled version, however it definantly has a air to air intercooler, whether or not that has been changed i dont know...? injector plugs are grey and its amanual if that helps?
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: ga70 overboosting? Tue, 25 November 2003 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 'u' means japo emissions stuff

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/9975/dataBy Subject/EngineCodes.html
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon1.gif  Re: ga70 overboosting? Tue, 25 November 2003 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2Lsupra wrote on Tue, 25 November 2003 19:51

nah i dont, because apprantly its a 86 supra, on the ID plates it has the engine as a 1g-gteu. now i thought that the "u" meant it was a water to air intercooled version, however it definantly has a air to air intercooler, whether or not that has been changed i dont know...? injector plugs are grey and its amanual if that helps?

I haven't seen grey injectors...

Check here for the different versions that we know about:
http://www.toymods.org.au/1g_versions.html
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ga70 overboosting? Wed, 26 November 2003 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boost cut aint no flat spot.. it's more like the feeling of being thrown through your front windscreen!
2Lsupra
Regular

November 2003
Re: ga70 overboosting? Wed, 26 November 2003 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok i looked properly this time, and unfortunatly the injecter plugs are yellow,
so this a gen 1? the worst of em all?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon2.gif  Re: ga70 overboosting? Wed, 26 November 2003 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup. That was my feeling. That's why you're hitting boost cut when others haven't.

It's interesting that they converted to air to air though. Can't see the reasoning for that. This coming from someone who's converted a Gen 3 from air to air into water to air... Smile
2Lsupra
Regular

November 2003
Re: ga70 overboosting? Thu, 27 November 2003 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh i not sure why it been converted either then.

so would a FCD solve my problems? seing as it a boost cut happening?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: ga70 overboosting? Thu, 27 November 2003 22:33 Go to previous message
You would hope so! Smile

We don't know much about the Gen 1s so I don't know if their fuel cut is actually lower. Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4AC Rpm Questions..
Next Topic:grinding noise
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 11 08:49:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050339698791504 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.