Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
1B4U18
Occasional Poster

November 2003
1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Wed, 26 November 2003 00:30 Go to next message
>Hi my name is Craig roberts and i own a EA Falcon ( I know its no toyota)
>but it does have a 4.0lt soarer V8 conversion at the moment it is stock
>except an exhaust and pod filter. i was after a new computer ( Aftermarket)
>and was wondering if you knew what was the best for these V8's. ive heard
>the wolf 3d is a good system and that they have a specific program for the
>engine? price is important to me ! as always! also who could install this
>for me?
>P.S. what after market parts can purchase for the engine? throttle bodys ?
>extractors? intake manifiolds? etc?
>
>thankyou for your time and help!
  Send a private message to this user    
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Wed, 26 November 2003 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Firstly what are your reasons for wanting to use an aftermarket ECU?

As for aftermarket parts, AFAIK they are quite limited. If you are looking for more power I would get some thicker headgaskets, made by SCE and bolt a couple of turbos on, like RB25 T28's on Smile. Might be cheaper than getting cams, intake manifolds etc. and you will make good strong power from low down.

Im not totally clued up with the wolf3d, but id say you will have to run direct fire waste spark and multipoint injection on the 1UZ.
TRD-75
Regular

July 2003
Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Wed, 26 November 2003 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how hard was it to put the v8 in? my dad has a EA wagon which is in near new condition except for the P.O.S motor. this would be an awesome conversion.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Wed, 26 November 2003 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as for stuff to do to the engine check out

http://www.planetsoarer.com

it has a heap of info for modding a stock 1UZ, plus i think they have finally developed a way to reprogram the standard ECU for a blower or other mods.

i dont even own a 1UZ but still find it interesting reading the tech articles on that site Very Happy
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Wed, 26 November 2003 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Wed, 26 November 2003 13:17

i dont even own a 1UZ

But you should bitch! Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 26 November 2003 02:33]

SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Wed, 26 November 2003 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also www.lextreme.com is also good for tech and upgrades.

Good upgrades are the usual N/A stuff:

Intake mods (local exhaust shop & aftermarket filter)
Extractors (Neil Grifiths)
Exhaust (local exhaust shop)
Cams (the guys that made the bullet roadster)
Head work (a reputable workshop)

There are some supercharger kits floating around, but they can be quite pricey.

As for aftermarket computer, I'm running a GM Delco, cost me $2,500 including parts and tuning, but not wiring. Benefit is I've got the most power out of the "stock" engine (to my knowledge). Which is 20% more than stock and 10% more than other aftermarket computers.

A few people are running Autronic. I don't know costs though.

The computer tuning from the PlanetSoarer website looks more like a chip to me. Its still not a programmable computer (unless you get it tuned by the guy that made the chip).
1B4U18
Occasional Poster

November 2003
Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Wed, 26 November 2003 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well the main reason behind it is that from first in drops into second for exactly 3 secs and then straight into third and the previous owner who installed the engine said the reason was because not all of the computer was installed (somthing like they have nine computers and this one only runs 4)and i was told that i could run an aftermarket system to stop the prob also it would be a good basis for heavier mods
1B4U18
Occasional Poster

November 2003
Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Wed, 26 November 2003 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aparently it wasnt to bad all they did was turn the crossmember around and she boltd straight on the only prob is clearence it is supposed to be around 15mm (between th oil sump and the body of the vhecile) and it only leaves around 3mm but myn is getting engineered now and i havent heard anything bad about it and this is in nsw so if it passes its all sweet!
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Wed, 26 November 2003 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1B4U18 wrote on Wed, 26 November 2003 14:00

Well the main reason behind it is that from first in drops into second for exactly 3 secs and then straight into third and the previous owner who installed the engine said the reason was because not all of the computer was installed (somthing like they have nine computers and this one only runs 4)and i was told that i could run an aftermarket system to stop the prob also it would be a good basis for heavier mods

pffft. You've been given some BAD info.

If you change your computer to an aftermarket computer it will make it WORSE.

What you need is to fix your current computer to work with your auto gearbox (PROPERLY).

<obie-wan voice> you will go to the lextreme system, there you will learn from Kdog </obie-wan voice>
1B4U18
Occasional Poster

November 2003
Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Wed, 26 November 2003 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can you give me the website or the email adress of KDOG
anyway couldnt i run all the computers to the one aftermarket system? and that would fix the prob? what could be the prob because with this electronic shit im crap ( but im slowly learning)
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Wed, 26 November 2003 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have you considered a DIY EFI and EI computer(s)?

if you can drive a soldering iron and a PC, maybe you could do one or more of these (i'm converting a 18R turbo to EFI with one-or-more of these):

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/megasquirt/
and/or
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/megasquirtnspa rk/
and/or
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/megaspark
and/or
http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/oz_ms/

charles.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Wed, 26 November 2003 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Basically no aftermarket computer can control the auto box, so changing to wolf3d, microtech, autronic, will just make it worse as Pete said.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Wed, 26 November 2003 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1B4U18 wrote on Wed, 26 November 2003 14:49

can you give me the website or the email adress of KDOG
anyway couldnt i run all the computers to the one aftermarket system? and that would fix the prob? what could be the prob because with this electronic shit im crap ( but im slowly learning)

I told you go to the lextreme site and find him there.
step by step:

1. http://www.lextreme.com
2. click "V8 Forum"
3. Join forum
4. click "member list"
5. sort by User name
6. page 4 has KDog on it cick on the PM button
7. send him a message with your problem with your standard auto box and computer

And NO an aftermarket computer won't help your shifting problems.

KDog will help.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Wed, 26 November 2003 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Wed, 26 November 2003 14:58

have you considered a DIY EFI and EI computer(s)?

if you can drive a soldering iron and a PC, maybe you could do one or more of these (i'm converting a 18R turbo to EFI with one-or-more of these):

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/megasquirt/
and/or
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/megasquirtnspa rk/
and/or
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/megaspark
and/or
http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/oz_ms/

charles.

Honestly mate, you have no idea how complicated the 1UZ-FE is, and how hard it is to tune. Don't push your "soldering iron and a PC" product for the 1UZ.

The 1uz has a crank trigger with 12 lobes on it, and 2 cam triggers with 1 lobe each.

COMPLETELY different from 1 lobe on your dizzy of the 18RG.

How would you plug this into the megasquirt system? And how is it going to fix an auto box shifting problem?

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Wed, 26 November 2003 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HKSPete wrote on Wed, 26 November 2003 12:10

How would you plug this into the megasquirt system? And how is it going to fix an auto box shifting problem?

Is it just me, or does it seem that everyone has forgotten the original problem as Pete states here??
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Wed, 26 November 2003 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kdog has actually done a 1UZ into an EA conversion before. He documented some of the problems he faced here. Definitely speak to him.
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Wed, 26 November 2003 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
www.kalmaker.com

there's info on there RE; a shift box that allows you to shift gears using push buttons on your steering wheel (ala tiptronic) for about $500. and i think KDog is the man to speak to re; that too.

and for the record, i'm using a delco on my 1UZ as well. i'm also using the 4L60 GM gearbox computer to run the toyota box too (A101E or something like that?)
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Wed, 26 November 2003 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
onejayzed wrote on Wed, 26 November 2003 14:43

www.kalmaker.com

try http://www.kalmaker.com.au
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Wed, 26 November 2003 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
onejayzed wrote on Wed, 26 November 2003 17:43

and for the record, i'm using a delco on my 1UZ as well. i'm also using the 4L60 GM gearbox computer to run the toyota box too (A101E or something like that?)

Really? cool. Who did it for you? When did you do it? What state you in? What rwkw you getting out of it? What car is it in? Who tuned it?
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Thu, 27 November 2003 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
attention, clean up aisle 3... clean up aisle 3...

bit excited there Pete? Laughing Laughing
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Thu, 27 November 2003 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah I actually refrained myself.

I like doing 20 questions via emails to my mates. OneJayZed got off light Very Happy
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Thu, 27 November 2003 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can answer one of your questions... PERTH
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Fri, 28 November 2003 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
apparently (and i stress apparently) i'm the first in oz to attempt this (using the 4L60/80E computer). there may be others out there who are less vocal than me who have done it though.

as for all of your questions - NFI. engine isn't back from Alan Gibbs yet, it's being 'calibrated' to run with the delco. no idea on power, just hopes ATM.

will be installing it into my 1972 Datsun 240C (datto's answer to the early cressida) over chrissy myself (and with my dads help with the engine mounts/gbox xmember), already have the engineer's okay (2 seperate front end chassis' will get you an okay too...!).

with the delco's infinite amount of tuning ability i am expecting a fair bit more power than the std 260hp quoted by Toyota (and we all know THAT's a crock of shit - more like 290). we're aiming for 13.5:1-ish AF ratio at cruise, 12.5:1-ish at partial throttle and 11.5:1-ish under load. with the twin 2&frac14;in exhausts, cold air feed and custom tuned length 1&frac12;in headers (i'm also making those) i'm aiming for 350hp at the engine, so that's 'about' 220ish RWHP. only a dyno will tell though. the std tranny should hold up to that, coz it is 'only' a cruiser...a low 13sec cruiser...but a cruiser.

Alan Gibbs at Injection Connection (0408 943 730) is the man to talk to re the tuning and computer installation - i'm only doing the engine/gearbox. a very informative bloke who has brunt a lot of the R&D costs himself, and is the no-nonsense kinda guy.

onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Fri, 28 November 2003 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry, that's one and a half inch headers, and 2 and a quarter exhausts
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Fri, 28 November 2003 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, Alan is the person who is going to be doing my Delco (1JZ you are the guinea pig in this case), unless it turns out to be too expensive
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Fri, 28 November 2003 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes, guinea pig i am, young jedi... Rolling Eyes

i just called him. we might try adapting a magnetic V8 ford dizzy instead of the commonwhore coil packs (at $1000 a set!!!) and he's making some modules for $25, instead of buying them at $200 plus.

either way will be a reliable option, with ford parts a dime a dozen.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Fri, 28 November 2003 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kool
yeah, he told me he was going to try and get away from those commodore ones being so dame expensive. Sounds like he found a back way, wikkid I say

FWIW (not much really) he was going to use my motor as the guinea pig, but somewhere we gt our wires crossed and he went with yours (unless he specifically wants yours coz you are remaining auto?)
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Sun, 30 November 2003 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't know about you being the first. I've been running the Delco system for about 10 months now.

And I didn't have to convert to dizzy! Shocked YUK Thats horrible!

I'm using 2 commodore ignition modules and the standard 1uz coils!

How much is it costing?

And your power sounds good if you get it tuned properly. I've got 200rwhp without extractors, so 220 with should be acheivable.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Sun, 30 November 2003 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are u runnin the auto ecu aswell
i think it would be runnin it

the main signals which might make it no change gears properly
are

speed signal to engine ecu or auto ecu

throttle signal auto ecu

the auto ecu needs to know what gear you have selected on the inhibitor

im am learnin more on the lexus v8

i have wired one up and have got another one to do soon
hopefully i can figure out how to bypass these signals

if u want to go aftermarket u might have to still run the std auto ecu somehow

the ecu will need to have 8 injector outputs for sequential injection
and 4 ignition outputs for direct fire

u will then need 4 modules and 4 twin output coils

[Updated on: Sun, 30 November 2003 22:40]

SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Sun, 30 November 2003 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No way. pfft. My car is manual. Evil or Very Mad

If you're running the auto theres no way you can change the gearbox properly. KDog might've come up with a way now, but its stupid to change computers and run the standard box (like standard). If you run the standard box tiptronic, then it might be worth it.

I do have the speed signal hooked up, and throttle, and it could work out gear if it takes in load (map) etc. and calculates it, but I don't know that side of the computer.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Sun, 30 November 2003 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

i was refering to the guy with ea ford
but anyway
i have read the tiptronic setup will not change gears automatically

its fully tiptronic setup

when i wire my next v8 im goin to spend time tryin to to learn how the auto acu runs and maybe try to trick it

see how i go

[Updated on: Sun, 30 November 2003 22:57]

SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Sun, 30 November 2003 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I didn't know who you were talking to.

I'd love to help, but I got rid of the gearbox and computers etc. so I don't have anything to donate.
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Mon, 01 December 2003 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry, i wan't referring to just running the delco, as in adapting the 4L80E tranny computer to run the A101E as well as the delco.
otherwise it's tiptronic for me.
i'm not the full bottle on the tranny, all i know is i want 4 forward gears and one reverse out if it as reliably as possible. whatever setup is used i will be fine with.

the dizzy is electric/magnetic, so it's almost as good as the coilpacks (i got the engine and box only, not a front cut)...but how did you get the delco to run the twin dizzy? didn't you have to split the pulse signal or something?
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Mon, 01 December 2003 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I only got the box & engine too. The loom was cut at the back of the engine. Adapted the delco to it etc. etc.

The magic box pretty much takes signals from the 3 original factory sensors and gives it to the computer as a standard dizzy signal. Then on the way back, it sends the signals to 2 VR ignition modules to the standard coils on the engine, to the standard plugs/leads/dizzys/etc.

My tuner is selling them for $600 and for the 3 weeks development that went into them (that I paid a lot for), its DIRT cheap and will get it running SOOOO much faster (installation/tuning time, not power output).

Edit: I've spoken about it before, but can't find it through a search at the moment. Give me a PM because a lot of people won't want to hear again.

[Updated on: Mon, 01 December 2003 05:02]

onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Tue, 02 December 2003 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a lot of other people don't have to read it either!!

if you can't find it, i sure as hell won't be able to! Laughing

how does it give a twin dizzy signal as one? does it use a signal splitter/joiner or something? i'm hell confused now!
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Tue, 02 December 2003 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can write me an email
peter.watson@vss.com.au

There is NO signals from the 1uz distributers. They only distrubute spark, they don't have a sensor in them.

There IS however 2 (one on each bank) CAM sensors. They spin at the same time as the dizzys and are close to them, but not part of the distributer.

The magic box is the splitter to the two ignition modules to the two coils to the 2 dizzys to the 8 leads/plugs
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Tue, 02 December 2003 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Wed, 26 November 2003 14:58

Basically no aftermarket computer can control the auto box, so changing to wolf3d, microtech, autronic, will just make it worse as Pete said.

The guys at Motec seem to think thay can run the auto with there ecu!

Allan
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Tue, 02 December 2003 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Tue, 02 December 2003 10:13

The guys at Motec seem to think thay can run the auto with there ecu!

"Seem to think" as in maybe able to, or as in have been able to?

[Updated on: Tue, 02 December 2003 04:06]

onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Tue, 02 December 2003 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
motec can do a lot of things, like track a vehicles braking points, plot races in realtime etc...but i doubt it can run an electronic 4spd auto.

if someone were to prove me wrong, i'd like that - because i'd be learning something new.
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Tue, 02 December 2003 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depending on the auto/original ECU, it "may" be possible to rig up a system where the engine is controlled by the (after-market) ECU, and the auto is controlled by the OEM ECU.

(I know, as this is how mine is set up).
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Tue, 02 December 2003 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Exactly. If you want to run the standard box, you run the standard box's computer.
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Wed, 03 December 2003 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are they seperate entities? the gearbox comp and the engine comp? that might save all my worries then.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Wed, 03 December 2003 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Crown Majesta has separate computer for motor and gbox, but AFAIK, all over 1UZ's have one integrated computer
1B4U18
Occasional Poster

November 2003
Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Tue, 09 December 2003 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi its me again im after the bloke who said that he had wired a lexus V8 before and lives in sydney if you could give your email to me or something and your willing to have a look for me im more than happy because ive got no idea and to be able to learn about the engine would be magnificent.
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: 1UZ-FE 4.0lt V8 Tue, 09 December 2003 04:45 Go to previous message
bump 4 ya Cool
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4AGZE or 3T-GTE differeneces
Next Topic:s13 lsd silvia diff can it be used on ae86??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 2 12:46:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0074300765991211 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.