Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
poor_lackey
Newcomer

August 2002
mid engined 1UZ-FE Fri, 30 August 2002 00:51 Go to next message
Hi,

I’d like to fit a 1UZ-FE, in a mid engine configuration.
However space may prevent an inline set-up, as there is only about 700mm (maybe less) from centre of rear wheel to firewall.

So I’m thinking about a transverse mount, as plenty of room for a V format engine.

Can anyone tell me if the 1UZ-FE is an easy bolt up to any standard FWD transmission, preferable one where the engine sits in front of the wheels?

Would prefer a manual but any suggestions on transmission,
for inline or transverse options and/or dimensions for 1UZ-FE trans combinations if they are known.

Could also consider a V6.....

Appreciate any wisdom anyone has to offer
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: mid engined 1UZ-FE Fri, 30 August 2002 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 1UZ-FE was only ever built in RWD north-south configuration. If you want to mid-mount this engine you're looking at custom fabrication all the way, which means BIG dollars. If you want a transverse mounted engine, something like the Camry V6 may be a better option.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: mid engined 1UZ-FE Fri, 30 August 2002 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some guy in NZ did mid mount one and from memory he used a Renault gearbox/diff doover (forget the technical name). It was a north-south arrangement though.

Edit: here is the webpage.http://www.constructorscarclub.org.nz/closeddoors. html

[Updated on: Fri, 30 August 2002 01:48]

._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: mid engined 1UZ-FE Fri, 30 August 2002 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i weant to the constructors car club show last month (in wellington) there were several saber's there running the 1uz. basically you need to find a renault un1 type tranny (renault r30 v6 type)and someone in nz (and a couple of places over here) does conversion bellhousings. place in qld sells the trannies for $1400.

T
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: mid engined 1UZ-FE Fri, 30 August 2002 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Theres a guy in melbourne that has but the 1UZ into Lamborghini replicas, they're mid mounted North-South engines .. I think the gearbox is a Renau one and using Supra drive shafts.

http://www.carbontech.com.au is the site, you can ask questions on how hard it was, but this was all custom (ie. the whole car).

I tried to get David to the dyno day (with the white lambo) .. he might come to the next cruise.
digitalts
Occasional Poster

November 2002
Re: mid engined 1UZ-FE Sat, 02 November 2002 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would you have the name of the place where you can get one of those Renault trannies in Qld? I can only find one in NZ for 3,000. I am building a Carbontech Lambo as well, hopefully with a 3UZ-FE if i can find one....
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: mid engined 1UZ-FE Sat, 02 November 2002 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silly question.......what's a Porsche transaxle worth? Is it the same ballpark or totally diffent league pricewise? Strength? Better then Renault?
digitalts
Occasional Poster

November 2002
Re: mid engined 1UZ-FE Sat, 02 November 2002 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A Porsce G50 transaxle is around 6 grand.... Only a few Porsche boxes will work properly in Mid-engine configuration, as they need to run upside down, (so you dont have 5 reverse and one forward gear...)
The G40 and G50 are supposedly good for around 600HP, whereas the renault R30 can handle 450HP.
CamZH
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: mid engined 1UZ-FE Sun, 03 November 2002 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Couldn't you just use a strengthened kombi box??
I've seen these boxes used for all sort of aplications..
only once with a V8 tho...

just a suggestion...

CamZH
OP111
Newcomer

November 2003
icon7.gif  Re: mid engined 1UZ-FE Thu, 27 November 2003 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There's a guy in Queenlsand who does conversion kits for just about any engine to a VW box...

But if you've ever driven a VW with intent to change gears quickly you'd probably think twice about using one. Confused
They have problems

5spd Porsche box (if you can get one) might be a better option?

SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: mid engined 1UZ-FE Thu, 27 November 2003 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Problem is the 1UZ is a 700mm cube. Its not going to fit in the original poster's car.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: mid engined 1UZ-FE Thu, 27 November 2003 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1UZ is closer to 675 isnt it? (27" x 27" x 27")
But yeah, it will cut it very close indeed
Johnny Blade
Regular

May 2003

Re: mid engined 1UZ-FE Thu, 27 November 2003 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This ultima har a 1UZ-FTE (twin turbo)
http://www.ultimaclub.com/Images/Ownersdatabase/Features/Fastest%20sportscar/chassis+engine1.jpg
TOY77
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: mid engined 1UZ-FE Thu, 27 November 2003 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
let me be the first to say wow!
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: mid engined 1UZ-FE Fri, 28 November 2003 02:12 Go to previous message
That wouls look great under the bonnet of an RA28. I might have to relocate the strut towers to fit the exhaust and turbo's in though.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:sx/gti dash question
Next Topic:2t-g questions
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 21:16:02 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046000480651855 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.