Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

MA70 thermo fan install Sat, 08 November 2003 06:01 Go to next message
Rather then replace broken shroud i mose' well spend a "bit" extra put thermos on:

Costs:

AU falcon *spit* thermo fans $250
Relay and base $10
Roll of wire $16
Corolla thermo fan switch $55
Foam rubber to seal around fans $22
Kneed it epoxy putty $20
All threed and nuts/washers $3.50
Total $376.50

http://members.optushome.com.au/supra80/DSC00365.JPG

Still needs a sand and some matt black paint and it will be finished

http://members.optushome.com.au/supra80/DSC00368.JPG

Also gota put some more foam in here but as you can see its exactly the right width

http://members.optushome.com.au/supra80/DSC00371.JPG

Wireing has to be run over to the other side, I have hooked them up to the existing condensor fan wireing

note also the RED fan switch this is an 85/90 unit from a corolla/MR2 exactly the same threed and connector (stock one switchs at 95-100 (too hot)

http://members.optushome.com.au/supra80/DSC00366.JPG

only problem is the corolla one is a normaly closed where as the stock one is normaly open contacts so a relay is required to invert its output

Any questions feel free to ask

Allan

Edit: two L's in Allan i cant beleave i fubar'ed my own name Razz

[Updated on: Sat, 08 November 2003 06:02]

Send a private message to this user    
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: MA70 thermo fan install Sat, 08 November 2003 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice work there, i'm at a stage where i'm going to have to do something about my fans, as they never come on and just let the engine temp keep climbing. not good.

By the way love the photo with the bit of wood holding your bonnet up, i use a branch myself, dam gas stuts or whatever not doing there job, my bonnet has hit me on the head so many times becuase of those things.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA70 thermo fan install Sat, 08 November 2003 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes and the bonnet struts new cost more then engine mounts! EACH!

gota get em re-gassed one day

Allan
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA70 thermo fan install Sat, 08 November 2003 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wouldnt spit about au thermos ay...they're some of the best around!
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA70 thermo fan install Sat, 08 November 2003 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id like to know more about the corolla switch though...i need one also! But a bit of advice from me, which i got from norbie also, is to have the fans hooked up via a thermal delay relay after the car is shut down..turbos espec can have heatsoak problems (i.e the coolant boils after the engine has been shut off). Im also doing this with my 8...
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA70 thermo fan install Sat, 08 November 2003 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes there made by bosch not ford thats why Smile

I would not bother with the corolla switch on anything but an MA70 due to the fact its a direct replacement for the money get a davies craig adjustable one!

Allan
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA70 thermo fan install Sat, 08 November 2003 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much would i be looking at?
What i need is:
Thermal switch - so fans switch on/off automatically via temperature operated sender switch.

Thermal delay relay - so when the car turns off, the fans stay on to bring the temperature of the water down.

Are both of these available from davies craig?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA70 thermo fan install Sat, 08 November 2003 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All you need is a thermostat. I'm not sure where you got this thermal delay concept from!
TD42T
Regular

May 2002
Re: MA70 thermo fan install Sun, 09 November 2003 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tridon make a heap of different switches.
Which personally I think are a heap better than those stupid adjustable one with the probe you have to stick somewhere.
I run a single 16" fan with a 80-85deg switch and it works fine.
As for the bonnet struts Monroe part No ML4337 $51 + GST My regassed ones never worked this good.
They also fit MA61 I think.

Marty
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA70 thermo fan install Sun, 09 November 2003 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just pulled a Nipon Denso 85deg switch out of a magna today at PNPL... cost me $5

just gotta figure out hor to mount in in a plastic tank, or (if i keep the ma61 rad) if i can just braze it straight into the bottom tank...

ed
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA70 thermo fan install Sun, 09 November 2003 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shouldn't it go in the top tank? Or the thermostat housing?

[Updated on: Sun, 09 November 2003 12:19]

Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA70 thermo fan install Sun, 09 November 2003 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Sun, 09 November 2003 22:20

i just pulled a Nipon Denso 85deg switch out of a magna today at PNPL... cost me $5

Sorry been there tryed 2nd hand thermo switchs not worth risking your engine for $50 if its faulty

Allan
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA70 thermo fan install Sun, 09 November 2003 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Sun, 09 November 2003 23:18

Shouldn't it go in the top tank? Or the thermostat housing?

yeah, youd think so, just that the magna had its located in the bottom tank next to the outlet...

but yeah, i just checked my thermostat housing, and theres a blanked hole with a grub screw in it. pulled it out, and lo-and-behold, thermo switch screws straight in nod:

problem solved
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA70 thermo fan install Sun, 09 November 2003 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the one off the gt4 radiator i have is also in the bottom tank Confused strange...
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA70 thermo fan install Sun, 09 November 2003 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://members.optushome.com.au/supra80/DSC00367.JPG

This position works perfectly did a trip to phillip island and back today thermo fans work better then the stock fan ever did

Allan

sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: MA70 thermo fan install Sun, 09 November 2003 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to run a thermo switch of a corolla u need a normally closed relay
the common relays are normally open

if u look into a corolla fusebox its the green relay that turns on the thermo

but u have to connect it a certain way otherwise the fans
will work when ignition is off

you usually need an extra relay to run with this green one
to do it properly
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA70 thermo fan install Sun, 09 November 2003 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Allen,

The thermo fans (the ford *spit* ones), were they new or s/hand ? And was it the whole unit (mounts/cradle etc), or was it just the fans themselves ? The first picture doesn't show the fans too clearly

Cheers

Michael B
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA70 thermo fan install Mon, 10 November 2003 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sideshow wrote on Mon, 10 November 2003 08:33

to run a thermo switch of a corolla u need a normally closed relay
the common relays are normally open

if u look into a corolla fusebox its the green relay that turns on the thermo

but u have to connect it a certain way otherwise the fans
will work when ignition is off

you usually need an extra relay to run with this green one
to do it properly

You will notice there is relay with mostly hidden wireing under the connector for the resistor pack for the injectors, normaly closed relays are un-common so I used a DPST relay from jaycar that is common and can easly be replaced if it ever fails.

And the certain way is to conenct the other side of the relay to switched ignition power (black wire with orange tracer) do not cut ANY wire!!! remove insulation carefully over about an inch wrap wire around then solder, clean wire with solvent and tape with high quality pvc tape nitto or 3m brands prefered

NOTE: Only one wire was cut in the process and I fitted a 2 pin molex connector to the cut wire so it can easly be returned to stock should the need arise

http://members.optusnet.com.au/supra80/DSC00366B.JPG

bbaacchhyy wrote on Mon, 10 November 2003 09:31

Hi Allen, *OI!!! makal its Allan ;P*

The thermo fans (the ford *spit* ones), were they new or s/hand ? And was it the whole unit (mounts/cradle etc), or was it just the fans themselves ? The first picture doesn't show the fans too clearly

Whole compleate unit off an AU part number on the invoice is *FO - ER 8C607 A FAN AND MOTOR ASSY
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA70 thermo fan install Mon, 10 November 2003 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Embarassed
Sorry about the spelling Alin, I'm only an engineer !!!!! And who is makal ?? Very Happy

Were the parts new ? I presume that they are when you quoted the invoice part number ?

Another quick question to clarify, will the same installation work in a MA61 with 7M-GTE ? The heading shows it for an MA70.

Cheers

Michael B

Oh by the way, it is tubing, complete, wiring, uncommon Twisted Evil
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA70 thermo fan install Mon, 10 November 2003 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Mon, 10 November 2003 12:27

Embarassed
Sorry about the spelling Alin, I'm only an engineer !!!!! And who is makal ?? Very Happy

Were the parts new ? I presume that they are when you quoted the invoice part number ?

Another quick question to clarify, will the same installation work in a MA61 with 7M-GTE ? The heading shows it for an MA70.

Cheers

Michael B

Oh by the way, it is tubing, complete, wiring, uncommon Twisted Evil

So I can't be stuffed clicking "Spell-check message" please see tag at bottom of message Smile this is in my MA70, MA61 should be the same but the A/C temp sensor would be one of the left over wires if you used the stock loom (blue with white trace)

only issue maybe if the ma61 engine bay is shorter?

http://members.optushome.com.au/supra80/DSC00369.JPG

I have seen these fans fitted to an MA61 apparently the owner is now up in QLD so i cant get ya any pics

(anyone in the celica car club seen this car geting around up there?) http://members.optushome.com.au/supra80/DSC00090.JPG
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA70 thermo fan install Mon, 10 November 2003 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers

Michael B

PS Which one is the spell check button ??? I need a "type right" button for my computer Very Happy
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA70 thermo fan install Mon, 10 November 2003 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i built a perfect bracket for an ma61 radiator...search in the for sale section for complete electric fan cooling system or something...
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA70 thermo fan install Mon, 10 November 2003 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Mon, 10 November 2003 15:59

i built a perfect bracket for an ma61 radiator...search in the for sale section for complete electric fan cooling system or something...

Post whore! Razz heheheh
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA70 thermo fan install Mon, 10 November 2003 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats not being a post-whore! Lol im offering the man some help!
Seriously though, the brackets arent hard to make.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA70 thermo fan install Mon, 10 November 2003 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my install is much sexyer tho!
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA70 thermo fan install Mon, 10 November 2003 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you cheated Rolling Eyes i built everything myself Very Happy
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA70 thermo fan install Mon, 10 November 2003 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats true, but his looks a little lighter and slightly less agricultural Shocked

Much like a **cough** ford motor in a Supra.....
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA70 thermo fan install Tue, 11 November 2003 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Tue, 11 November 2003 07:44

Much like a **cough** ford motor in a Supra.....

Amen, i just wasnt going to be that rude Razz sorry all i can say is 1UZ-FE

Allan
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA70 thermo fan install Sat, 29 November 2003 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if anyone is actually interested in the AU thermo--> ma61 job, I'll be undertaking it as soon as my radiator is recored (pokes ed)
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA70 thermo fan install Sat, 29 November 2003 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With respect to the poking of fun at the Ford thermos in a Toyota, I happen to run a twin-thermo setup in the Cressida, which seems to do a very good job. (This setup has been discussed at length before, so I'll just say that it is a complete setup from a '94 EF Falcon)

Fitted with about 4 bolts/washers, and almost a perfect fit for the Cressida's radiator. Pulls a LOT of air!

I'm keen to see pics of your install when it's finished Greg. *Pokes Ed*

Although I WILL allow some gentle ribbing of the Ford engine/Toyota combo... Laughing (Think 1UZ-FE)
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA70 thermo fan install Sat, 29 November 2003 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah my fans are actually toyota ones..off a gt4...on a chev radiator.

Im not going to be involved into the pushrod v8 vs jap quad cam v8 debate again.. After its running, and tests have been done tell me what you think. Until then i have nothing to answer for.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA70 thermo fan install Sun, 30 November 2003 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Draven,

Count me in as interested on the MA61 details. The setup on Allan's car looks schmick, but would be good to see how it goes in a MA61

Cheers

Michael B
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA70 thermo fan install into MA61 ? Thu, 18 March 2004 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Draven,

Have you gotten anywhere with this job ?

Cheers

Michael B
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: MA70 thermo fan install Fri, 19 March 2004 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone here wacked a thermo fan into a TA22?
suprra_girl
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: MA70 thermo fan install Sat, 28 August 2004 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey ya'll Smile

now i've just installed a thermo fan switch to control the factory air con fan... i got it out of a honda prelude xx 1980's
works great car no longer temp spikes while driving
but if i turn off car and go away for a couple of mins and come back and turn her over to ignition (not actually starting car) the temp goes up a quite a bit but once car is started it drops back down to normal almost instantly Confused
i'm thinking along the lines of faulty thermostat or water pump even tho they are both brand new

any help?

Thanks Smile

Suzie the Supra Girl Wink
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA70 thermo fan install Sat, 28 August 2004 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what is happening is the phenenomenan? called heatsoak.

When the car settles shuts down, all the water soon gets heated up real quick by the now stationary engine. Remember the water was being pushed through the motor when its running, and when it just lies there, it heats up.

Turbo motors are notorious for boiling coolant when they are shut off.
There is one way to stop it, which is what ill do on my ma61 - hook the switch up to the battery, so whenever the cars coolant reaches the given temperature, the fans come on. Even when the car is shut down!

hope that helps Smile

Btw what supra have you got? Glad to see another female supra owner interested in her car! Very Happy

Blake
suprra_girl
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: MA70 thermo fan install Sat, 28 August 2004 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok cool i find it interesting that my car requires 3 fans in total to keep it under control tho Confused
i was gonna get my old thermostat and gut it and see if that made any difference as i'm sure that when i go drag racing my temp will spike up... i really really hate that lol
plus being a brand new rebuilt engine i'm paranoid Razz
the other thing i was gonna do was add a "heat out" vent in my bonnet lol just a simple one for heat to escape Smile

i've got a 87 mk3 supra 7mgte
best et so far 13.66 @ 171kms
1620kg of weight plus add 30litres of petrol when i drag race hehe
to4e ct26 toyota turbo
550x300x75 intercooler, 2 1/2" plumbing all round
3 1/2" exhaust one muffer (barely legal lol)
10psi boost
1.8mm custom metal head gasket

the end of my massive mod list lol

take a look at http://www.supra.co.nz/pics.htm
a few pics of my car Smile

Thanks Wink

[Updated on: Sat, 28 August 2004 11:21]

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA70 thermo fan install Sat, 28 August 2004 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like a sweet supra!

mine also has 3 fans to keep it cool, i installed two for cooling on the inside (sucking)
and one on the outside for the a/c...(pushes)

Works a treat Smile
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA70 thermo fan install Sat, 28 August 2004 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike - if you're still interested, my thermo setup is complete.
I can take some pics for you... very very nice I must say, and they suck a *lot* (of air).

almost bolts up, just a couple of bits of metal. they'll also need a bit of folded aluminium to complete the job and seal a small (1-2cm) gap, but even as is they have no trouble keeping the car cold.
suprra_girl
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: MA70 thermo fan install Sat, 28 August 2004 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've got all mine exactly the same way two on inside sucking and air con blowing... but i have removed my air con radiator and pump Razz
do you drag race urs? on the burnout does ur temp spike?
on the motorway cruisin for a while does your temp drop a notch? mine doesn't move at all even on motorway... i would suspect that the thermostat is controlling that.. the engine can't get too cool so thermostat stays closed... but on my old engine it used to do that.. well same engine but bhg'd lol now a new engine Razz

oh another thing.. altho that switch on automatically thing if water is at certain temp while car is off is a great idea...
the water is no longer circulating with the engine off.. so really what would it achieve other than cooling the water in the radiator possibly considerably to what temp the engine is holding which isn't a good idea

is it?
just thinking bout it lol

[Updated on: Sat, 28 August 2004 11:37]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA70 thermo fan install Sat, 28 August 2004 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fans on while car off is not a great idea - drains battery, and as supra girl mentioned, it'd only cool your radiator.
The real problem is on & around the turbos, where the coolant and oil quickly heats up to turbo temperature (hence turbo timing).

I toyed with the idea of a time-delay on the fans, to keep them running for a minute after switching off, but the benefits really would be minimal (imho)
suprra_girl
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: MA70 thermo fan install Sat, 28 August 2004 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woohoo my blonde logical thinking does apply sometimes lol
one thing altho not sure how i could intergrate is the audi's have a setup where somehow the engine still circulates water while off (dunno how lol) and the fans still run till the temp reaches a certain temp...
we could somehow figure out how to do that..
i'm seriously investigating major cooling ideas lol
the last thing i wanna do i blow my hg again Razz
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: MA70 thermo fan install Sat, 28 August 2004 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Relay triggered electric water pump?
suprra_girl
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: MA70 thermo fan install Sat, 28 August 2004 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok kool so next question
where to get one for a 7mgte in nz lol
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA70 thermo fan install Sat, 28 August 2004 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep, would need to be an electric water pump, while supra ones are belt (thus engine) driven Sad
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA70 thermo fan install Sat, 28 August 2004 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but the thermostat is still open when the car is off, so although it might not be pumping the water into the motor, its sill flowing in and falling down....

IMO.
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: MA70 thermo fan install Sat, 28 August 2004 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a switch hooked up in the cabin that i use to turn my fans on manually. It works well, i come back home after driving hard, and idle the car for a few minutes, then switch it off and keep the fans running for another few minutes, temp guage goes right down and i don't suffer any heat soak, would be good to have it all automated but it's good as it is.

Also if you turn the car off and keep the fans going, the coolant should keep circulating simply becuase it's got a hot point (engine) and a cold point (radiator with fans spinning) so that should cuase the coolant to keep flowing and pulling the heat out of the engine.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA70 thermo fan install Sun, 29 August 2004 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Sat, 28 August 2004 21:42

fans on while car off is not a great idea - drains battery, and as supra girl mentioned, it'd only cool your radiator.

Draining the battery is never going to be a problem, unless your battery is nearly dead to begin with. I've had my fans hooked up like this for about a year now and the battery has never even looked like failing. The fans are only on for 5 minutes tops after you switch off the engine, and that's only on a hot day.

As for cooling the radiator, that's not true. Even though the water pump is no longer spinning, the convection currents in the cooling system will still pump a decent amount of heat out of the engine.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA70 thermo fan install Mon, 30 August 2004 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Mon, 30 August 2004 09:48

As for cooling the radiator, that's not true. Even though the water pump is no longer spinning, the convection currents in the cooling system will still pump a decent amount of heat out of the engine.

exactly what i thought Confused
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: MA70 thermo fan install Mon, 30 August 2004 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"Also if you turn the car off and keep the fans going, the coolant should keep circulating simply becuase it's got a hot point (engine) and a cold point (radiator with fans spinning) so that should cuase the coolant to keep flowing and pulling the heat out of the engine."

i also said something simular, except norbie knows the tech term "convection currents" wich made it sound better.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA70 thermo fan install Sun, 20 March 2005 14:08 Go to previous message
photos moved here http://members.optusnet.com.au/supra80/aufalctherm os/

see also

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=62328&rid=93&S=8df2bfe31b7161a68f47283d9 d7786f7&pl_view=&start=0#msg_577189
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Sigma Control Arms
Next Topic:Question regarding engines and automatics
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 08:24:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.007296085357666 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.