Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Blue smoke and chewing oil Mon, 01 December 2003 04:29 Go to next message
Okay, so it's not a Toyota, but my Lancer has been causing some trouble. Rollaboy thinks it's worn rings, I'm hoping it's not.

The problem is as stated in the title. I'm getting a little bit of blue-grey smoke out of the exhaust, and the car is going through oil fairly quickly. Now I have been told that the car needs a new timing belt, and that the carby may need some work done to it. Could either of these be the problem? Or am I going to have to undertake the massive task of replacing the rings, or replacing the whole bottom end? Either way I'm sick of the lancer and I'm thinking of selling it up and getting something new. Something with a Toyota or Nissan badge.

[Updated on: Mon, 01 December 2003 04:29]

Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Blue smoke and chewing oil Mon, 01 December 2003 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Elaborate on the smoke please.
Does it blow upon startup (valve stem seals)
Under full throttle (Rings)
Or after a long period of idling (valve stem seals)
Hot or Cold or both?
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Blue smoke and chewing oil Mon, 01 December 2003 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It was doing it a bit last winter in the cold on startup or when taking off.

The more you open the throttle the more obvious it gets, but there isn't too much smoke (Rollaboy opened the throttle while I watched at the "nobody turned up" vic meet).

It seems to do it under both conditions, hot or cold. Oh and it used to start up fine, but after 30 seconds of idle it would start blowing smoke (this was also during winter, summer seems to have cleared that up)

Rollaboy, could you elaborate on what you saw when you followed me?

P.S. Thanks for the help CrUZsida. Smile Stupid fucking Mitsubishi Lancers!

[Updated on: Mon, 01 December 2003 04:41]

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Blue smoke and chewing oil Mon, 01 December 2003 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Under full throttle (Rings)

hey my car does this when I enter the last 1k revs on the tacho.. I lay a bit of a 'cloud' so to speak....

not to hijack, but are the rings heaps hard to change? I have to take the bottom out.. which means I should change my bearings too, which is all a fat as hassle.

is it more or less than dropping a new motor in there?
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Blue smoke and chewing oil Mon, 01 December 2003 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From what I understand, dropping a new bottom end or even whole motor in could be the cheaper option, atleast for me. I could get a new bottom end for about $100 for the Lancer.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Blue smoke and chewing oil Mon, 01 December 2003 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Blue smoke means you're burning oil, and neither the carby nor the timing belt will make your engine burn oil. It sounds like your rings are worn - time for a rebuild, or better yet, a new car!
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Blue smoke and chewing oil Mon, 01 December 2003 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Mon, 01 December 2003 15:55

hey my car does this when I enter the last 1k revs on the tacho.. I lay a bit of a 'cloud' so to speak....
not to hijack, but are the rings heaps hard to change? I have to take the bottom out.. which means I should change my bearings too, which is all a fat as hassle.
is it more or less than dropping a new motor in there?

what rpm are you going to?? it is possible that your rings do not have the tension (from ring tension and gas pressure) to seal against the cylinder at higher rpm.. kinda like "ring float"

wonder if anyone knows the relative contributions from ring pressure and the gas pressure on the ring, relative to the total ring on cylinder pressure...

heh heh, maybe your motor is trying to tell yu something Wink Very Happy
Cya, Stewart
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Blue smoke and chewing oil Mon, 01 December 2003 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah. I'm trying to get Geoff's attention so that I can organise the purchase of his ride. Very Happy
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Blue smoke and chewing oil Mon, 01 December 2003 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bump
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Blue smoke and chewing oil Mon, 01 December 2003 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Use thicker oil, and fuck the piece of shit off, its done its shitful duties and now its time to upgrade.

FWIW thicker oil will reduce the amout of oil that the motor burns.

Makes it easier to sell.

Just my 2c worth.

Steve
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Blue smoke and chewing oil Mon, 01 December 2003 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heh heh. Good call.

I want Geoff's rolla, but I don't know if I can get the cash together before someone else snaps it up.
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Blue smoke and chewing oil Mon, 01 December 2003 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just leave a deposit, and promise to sell your arsehole if you dont have the money in time.
ae82rollaboy
Regular

May 2003
Re: Blue smoke and chewing oil Tue, 02 December 2003 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shraka,

it looked to me as if it was blowing a bit of smoke when you were accelerating. im pretty sure that its your rings...and anyway, revving it isnt the same as driving it cos the motor isnt under nearly as much load. Confused

but yeah, i know this is a dodgy thing to do but we sell this stuff at autobarn called "stop-smoke" and you pretty much put it in with the oil and its supposed to reduce the amount of oil that your car burns.

so yeah, i reckon get a thicker oil, put some of this stuff in and sell it off..

good luck with it champ Smile
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Blue smoke and chewing oil Tue, 02 December 2003 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks man. I'll look into it.
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Blue smoke and chewing oil Tue, 02 December 2003 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I saw an old mitsubishi on the freeway smoking like it was doing a burnout, but it was out of the exhaust. Very Happy
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Blue smoke and chewing oil Tue, 02 December 2003 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quick additional question. Girlfriends Rolla smells like petrol when started. But only when it's first started. Tell me it could be something as simple as timing belt. Please? Very Happy

This time it's for a Toyota Rolla, not some shitty Lancer. Very Happy
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Blue smoke and chewing oil Tue, 02 December 2003 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

lfriends Rolla smells like petrol when started. But only when it's first started.

doesn't smell like it when it just sits there does it? (could be a small leak)

is it carburetted? (time for a tune/choke issues - been AGES since I did anything to a carburetted car I am hopeless)
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Blue smoke and chewing oil Tue, 02 December 2003 12:26 Go to previous message
Oh yeah, Carby. Hunk of junk. Am starting to think I should get a twin cam EFI put in it for her birthday or something. Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:what do your cars weigh
Next Topic:4ac temp sensor question. help please!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 00:16:31 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02182412147522 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.