Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » Slot Cars anyone?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
andrij
Regular

December 2003
Slot Cars anyone? Tue, 02 December 2003 10:02 Go to next message
Does anyone here muck around with slot cars, or am i the only juvenile (30 plus at that) who mucks around with them?

Shame is i dont have any Toyota slot cars, but plan on making some next year, when i get my modelling and casting skills up to speed.

Oh, before i go. Any body out there who has any old AFX/Tomy/Lifelike cars or sets they dont want?

Thanks for your time.
  Send a private message to this user    
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Slot Cars anyone? Tue, 02 December 2003 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have an AFX track
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Slot Cars anyone? Tue, 02 December 2003 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got like ten afx tracks put together
i have one room in my house with a specialty made board like 10m x 3m to race on Very Happy
hours and hours of run with loops the loops wall climbing and jumps Cool
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Slot Cars anyone? Tue, 02 December 2003 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think I still have a bathurst track slot car set, but havent played it in ages.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Slot Cars anyone? Tue, 02 December 2003 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bah, you guys with your AFX stuff
Go get the real Slot-cars, get Scalextric (or at least the cheap ripoff SCX)
bman
Regular

November 2003
Re: Slot Cars anyone? Tue, 02 December 2003 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when i was about 12-13 my brother and i used to go down to the slot car track and race our cars. they were called 'flexi cars' or something like that, they were bloody quick and i think there was even a drag track. to get grip i think we put shellite on the wheels. do people still race these?

[Updated on: Tue, 02 December 2003 20:44]

Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Slot Cars anyone? Tue, 02 December 2003 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I've got a few flexi-cars with different engines I used to race. Unfortunatly the 2 tracks near home both closed down Sad
they were fun to race.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Slot Cars anyone? Tue, 02 December 2003 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

[Go get the real Slot-cars, get Scalextric (or at least the cheap ripoff SCX)

I used to have Scalextric, but then it broke. Sad
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Slot Cars anyone? Wed, 03 December 2003 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually ive just been looking at starting to buy a whole lot of bits and pieces off ebay as i want to make a big track that i can lower from the roof of the garage for when my Kids grow up ( not that Dad ever will Rolling Eyes )

I looked and bidded on a couple of items but got confused as to what to buy... i was thinking scalectrix but i dunno... any body got any experiences good or bad and or have stuff they want to sell now they dont use?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Slot Cars anyone? Wed, 03 December 2003 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get Scalextric or its cheaper ripoff (but exactly same sized and 100% compatible) SCX.
AFX is a smaller version of Scalextric, hence the cars are fast, and grip better, but is less fun IMHO
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Slot Cars anyone? Wed, 03 December 2003 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there is more skill in scaletrix Smile
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Slot Cars anyone? Wed, 03 December 2003 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so you can scx cars on Scalectrix track and controllers and vice versa?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Slot Cars anyone? Wed, 03 December 2003 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSupra wrote on Wed, 03 December 2003 15:10

there is more skill in scaletrix Smile

Yeah, thats what I thought, but I can't back that up. I've only had experience with Scalextric

Quote:

so you USE can scx cars on Scalectrix track and controllers and vice versa?

AFAIK, yes, 100% compatible
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Slot Cars anyone? Wed, 03 December 2003 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its all about the banked corners, narrowing roads and crossovers with the bigger cars Smile
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Slot Cars anyone? Wed, 03 December 2003 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just want to make a 6 lane pikes peak track with a loop back Smile
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Slot Cars anyone? Wed, 03 December 2003 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh.........6 lane in scaletrix will be wiiiiiiiide.

155mm = 2 lanes (min width)

so 465mm wide for 6 lanes! Thats either going to be a massive track or limited in turns!
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Slot Cars anyone? Wed, 03 December 2003 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm maybe a rethink is needed... i was planning on putting it on 4 sheets of mdf but even that wont be big enough
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Slot Cars anyone? Wed, 03 December 2003 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AFX = muuuuuuuuch smaller

im just guessing at this, but probably 100mm wide track = 2 lanes
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Slot Cars anyone? Wed, 03 December 2003 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bman wrote on Wed, 03 December 2003 07:24

when i was about 12-13 my brother and i used to go down to the slot car track and race our cars. they were called 'flexi cars' or something like that, they were bloody quick and i think there was even a drag track. to get grip i think we put shellite on the wheels. do people still race these?

Did you ever go to the slotcar track in Rye? That was one of my favourite memories of our holidays down the peninsula. Smile
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Slot Cars anyone? Wed, 03 December 2003 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have an AFX " thunderlop thriller " in the cupboard with a few cars id sell if anyone wants it Smile

Still works a treat - as the " computer control car " thing too .. 2 cars come with lights Smile

mind you i have all three trans am's ( the black ones my favorite " and a Nissan 300zx lemans car thing :)id be happy to see these go to kids ( or dads ) i know will have heaps of fun with

bman
Regular

November 2003
Re: Slot Cars anyone? Wed, 03 December 2003 19:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
simdog:
never got down to that one, when i was living in bendigo there was only the one track.
andrij
Regular

December 2003
Re: Slot Cars anyone? Wed, 03 December 2003 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1RA11Y

SCX is different to the New Scaletric stuff mate. The new scalectric track , scalectric sports have different joiners to the older style scalectric. The SCX track , IMHO is better than the older scalectric track, because it does not bend like the older scalectric track.SCX cars work on all 1/32 scale track, and do take some skill to race, but then again, AFX, old and new also take some skill to race.

If you look around at garage sales, you should be able to find some stuff. That is what i do. I hit garage sales and swap meets and markets for stuff, and got a bargain from "Trash Converters" once, picking up a set that was $280 brand new for only $45, because the two cars were broken.

I have some of the older Scalectric track if you are interested. They do need a bit of a clean, and if interested, i will clean the track up at work.

In regards to AFX stuff, i am after any of it, old style or new.
If any one has any they want to sell in the new year, please contact me.

Early in the new year i want to set up one 4 lane track, for my son(yeah right, more like for me and my mates) and then later on, a larger one on a board as well.

If things go to plan, maybe take a mobile track to a few shows, on a trailer, if i refinance my mortgage and find a 67-70 Toyota Crown to tow it. Not as great as a play station, but people would look at these "adults" racing cars at a car show or two.

Cheers
Andrij
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Slot Cars anyone? Wed, 03 December 2003 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IRA11Y wrote on Wed, 03 December 2003 17:30

as i want to make a big track that i can lower from the roof of the

the guy across the road from my place has a setup just like this, scalectrix, 4 lanes, him, my old man and a bunch of other guys race every thursday night in a friendly comp they run every year, they've been doing it for years now.

lowers down via a big pulley, the legs fold in, all electrics are run under the table, holsters for the triggers, timed popup starting gate custom made, uses a strip of toilet paper, if someone jumps the start the toilet paper breaks hehe Laughing the even run "night races" they turn off the lights and the track has its own street lighting.

its almost like their own little exclusive racing club.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Slot Cars anyone? Thu, 04 December 2003 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrij wrote on Thu, 04 December 2003 04:32

SCX is different to the New Scaletric stuff mate. The new scalectric track , scalectric sports have different joiners to the older style scalectric.

Yeah, I just had a look and the new Scalextric is different
I wonder why they changed it after sooo many years. Prolly becase the old type keeps on snaps after years of use.

Wierd
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Slot Cars anyone? Thu, 04 December 2003 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm maybe sfx it is but i dont know if i want to pay new prices

rob-ra40 that sounds pretty much like what i want to do... dont want to go as far with detail as the train guys but street lights sounds cool Smile
andrij
Regular

December 2003
Re: Slot Cars anyone? Fri, 05 December 2003 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lambolica

Hornsby is still running, and there is a track around liverpool ways. Have you tried those?

Armchair racer, located in Lane Cove has 2 tracks, and more cars for sale than i could poke a stick at.

IRA11Y, as i said before mate, i have some old scalectric track if you want it mate. Plus, if you go to the swap meet that happens once a month in Granville, you should be able to find scalectric track reasonably cheap.

As for AFX being fast, i muck around with some cars from the 60's and 70's, and even if they are slower, they are more like the older Scalectric cars, no traction magnets, so the butts slide around on the corners.

Andrij
E30-323ti
Regular

June 2002
Re: Slot Cars anyone? Tue, 09 December 2003 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bman wrote on Wed, 03 December 2003 07:24

I use to go to a place in Reservior or Thomastown when I lived in Melbourne, You use to be able to buy differrent tyres to go on them, bigger motors etc... The hand controllers were big and had power plugs on them and the track was about 8 cars wide I think. That was a while ago, 11yrs, how time flies.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Slot Cars anyone? Tue, 09 December 2003 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool, I'm in Kellyville now I'll have to pull out the car dust it off and go for a trip to hornsby. I wonder how may times I can launch a car off the track and smash a window before they ban me Embarassed
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Slot Cars anyone? Tue, 09 December 2003 06:34 Go to previous message
My uncle bought a house a while ago, the buying point for him was the fact that it came with a scaletric that is set up permanently in the garage on an arrangement of pulleys so you can hoist it out of the way up to the ceiling.
Boys and their toys Laughing Rolling Eyes
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Cheap Freight?!?
Next Topic:Master and Commander
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 18 06:32:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059139728546143 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.