Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
The Untouchable
Forums Junkie

September 2003
ta22/2tg Mon, 08 December 2003 05:29 Go to next message
hey guys,
well i took the motor apart yesterday so ill tell you my findings. checked the bearings, there is a little bit of wear on them, but they are ok, im going to replace the front end bearings and main bearings, im grant btw, the one who owns the ta22 with the 2tg in it. k, so it wasnt the bearings that had siezed it. noticed a crack on the front aluminium cover, so took the rocket cover off etc. turns out the timing chain had come a bit loose and grated on the cover, cracking it. that meant the timing was way out, assuming the chain had slipped a couple of teeth. so the pistons had just touched the valves. checked them both, the valves are fine, tiny little bit of wear on the top of the pistons but they are good. no damage to the block (y) so, i guess all i need to do is replace the head gaskets, bearings, main bearings...um, anything else? i think ive forgotten to write something. tell me what you think of my analysis of it all anyway guys.
so i dont need to do the 3t piston conversion afterall, even tho i am a tad dissapointed i cant condone doing it. i might do it later..does it give enough performance to warrant doing it later?
also, im thinking, when ive got my motor apart now, i might get my head port and polished, is that worthwhile for a ta22? What type of performance gain and how much is a reasonable asking price 4 it done? anything i should ask for or keep in mind when getting it done?
also when the motor is apart im thinking of changing the cams. what type of cams would give the best performance upgrade most suitable for the 2tg motor? if you could give me specific brands/specifications of cams that would be great.
ive heard you can get the cams ground down, what are the pros/cons of this?
are sporty cams roadworthy? coz i wanna keep it roadworthy Smile

thanks heaps boys, answer any or all of the questions if u can
thanks!
  Send a private message to this user    
bman
Regular

November 2003
Re: ta22/2tg Mon, 08 December 2003 20:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi there,
recently had my 2tg head reco'ed, cost me around $600, that included new valves, springs, shims and gasket set. head was also shaved, water galleries welded and redrilled and combustion chambers cc'd etc. i had this done by berryman race engines in morrabbin, that's if u want to travel to melbourne.
cheers.
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: ta22/2tg Tue, 09 December 2003 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill buy the seats if there isnt much rust in them Twisted Evil

Surprised
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: ta22/2tg Tue, 09 December 2003 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
grunta your mum is in the milk fridge

[Updated on: Thu, 11 December 2003 14:19]

T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: ta22/2tg Thu, 11 December 2003 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bman wrote on Tue, 09 December 2003 07:11

hi there,
recently had my 2tg head reco'ed, cost me around $600, that included new valves, springs, shims and gasket set. head was also shaved, water galleries welded and redrilled and combustion chambers cc'd etc. i had this done by berryman race engines in morrabbin, that's if u want to travel to melbourne.
cheers.

hey man, I live in frankston so I want to check out this place to see what they can do.
bman
Regular

November 2003
Re: ta22/2tg Thu, 11 December 2003 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

hey man, I live in frankston so I want to check out this place to see what they can do.

no worries, if your there on sunday i will be more than happy to talk to you about it some more. Smile
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: ta22/2tg Thu, 11 December 2003 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah I'll be there. Hope your brining that van in your avatar ! I wanna try standing up in the back as you drift it down the hill. Razz
bman
Regular

November 2003
Re: ta22/2tg Fri, 12 December 2003 03:44 Go to previous message
ah memories, this is what happens to an 84 urvan after 590000kms (original motor,diesel). side door fell off and had to pushed back on, and you could lift half of the roof off because of rust. unfortunatly it's now a cube. Sad
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:License Renewal plan
Next Topic:ouch
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 00:31:07 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047268867492676 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.