Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bman
Regular

November 2003
EPA! Mon, 08 December 2003 08:56 Go to next message
Hi ya, i recived a freindly letter today, requesting that my celica needs to be tested by the EPA. the problem i have however is that i did not get pulled over by the police. the 'offence' must of been noticed by either the police or the epa themselfs as i drove thru shepp during the springnats.
i was not aware that this could happen, i was under the impression that human contact would be made with me first.
anyways, i am wondering weather any one else has had a letter simular to this? (probably i think...)
thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: EPA! Mon, 08 December 2003 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey champ, exactly same thing happened to me new years eve last year Mad

its actually a good way to get done, cos u have time time change/put a muffler in and go get the test and pass, all done, i think its only about 30bux and then its all done.

and also you avoid a big fine as if the EPA pulled you over and went over ya car on the spot.

nothing to worry about really, lucky in a way Very Happy

bman
Regular

November 2003
Re: EPA! Mon, 08 December 2003 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks,
i thought it was a bit sneeky, must have been on the side of the road as i was leaving. because i was heading to bendigo and not melbourne i thought i would avoid trouble! i can only assume that other car's were caught, and i was taking it easy! Sad oh well.

oh one more thing, does the epa go over your car for other possible defects? thanks
ENVYS-SR20
Occasional Poster

July 2002
Re: EPA! Tue, 09 December 2003 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

just 2 clear it up, does your car actually have 2 go 2 EPA office for them 2 test it??. Or did the letter say u have 2 get your car tested for noise?? cause if it just noise, most of the time u can change the muffler and get it tested at a nominated EPA tester, and they just send off the paper to EPA sayin that u have passed the legal DB reading. if u have 2 actually go 2 epa u mite have 2 change a few more thing that just ur exhaust, as EPA will look over ur car for anyhitng and everything. And make sure u do it by the date they say, as not doing so will result in a $500 fine, i founbd out the hard way Crying or Very Sad

adam
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: EPA! Tue, 09 December 2003 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where abouts in melb you from? if your in the frankston area. Then I reccomend Fast Fit exhaust on wells rd. They are (i believe) the only ones near here with an accredited EPA tester. If anyone gets done with an EPA they actually have to go to this guy. he knows his stuff and I just had my setup done there.
hope it helps
bman
Regular

November 2003
Re: EPA! Fri, 12 December 2003 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the help guy's, luckily the notice is only for exhaust emmision/noise test. i'm in the clayton area, and according to the list of approved testers, dandenong is the closest to me, so i'll get it sorted next week.
cheers
john.
grande91
Regular

July 2002
Re: EPA! Sat, 03 January 2004 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey bman have you been to EPA yet??how it go,what did they check/do?? i got picked up about 3 months ago and the cop went straight to the front of the car had a good look at the IC and then he said EMISSIONS,gave him the engineers certificate...no good,..anyway nobody bothered me ever since....but you never know,.......let us know what happened.....
bman
Regular

November 2003
Re: EPA! Sun, 04 January 2004 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im booked in for the 13th jan, update then.
bman
Regular

November 2003
Re: EPA! Tue, 13 January 2004 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey, just an update on the noise situation - had test yesterday and punched out 102db @4000rpm. at idle it runs at 94db @1500rpm. seems a little odd that the db only increases by 8 over 2500rpm. even the tester was a little puzzled.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: EPA! Tue, 13 January 2004 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
an increase of 3db is equivalent to double the sound.

so, 97db is twice as loud as 94, 100, twice as loud as 97 etc...

so yes, 102db is *significantly* louder than 94 despite not seeming so on the numbers Shocked

cheers
ed
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: EPA! Wed, 14 January 2004 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but an increase of 10db is double the audible difference to the human ear. So at 4000rpm should sound nearly twice as loud as 1500rpm. would have thought the tester would have known that?
walu
Regular

December 2003
Re: EPA! Wed, 14 January 2004 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
102dB is pretty loud still. What is the limit required to meet?

84dBa in the workplace (8 hours continuous exposure) means that you have to wear hearing protection. I think over 94dBa, means measures have to be taken to bring the level down.
bman
Regular

November 2003
Re: EPA! Wed, 14 January 2004 07:53 Go to previous message
down here in vic, the maximum for pre 86? cars is 96db, for post 86 it's 92db i think.
tomorrow a nice restrictive muffler will go in place, with a bolt/flange arrangement so i can put the straight thru muffler back on if i want.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Sub finally arrived.
Next Topic:Toyota Supra Mk2
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 18 04:09:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046329498291016 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.