Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Mon, 08 December 2003 00:17 Go to next message
Has anyone here followed the same stage 2 modification path listed in this article? For those who havent here is the mod list:

- Good 3.5 - 4" mandrel bent exhaust system
- Custom dump pipes
- GTR equivalent FMIC
- Aftermarket management
- 15 psi boost

If you have what sort of power did you make, Zoom claim 250-270 rwkw?

I have followed a similar path except I have a custom 400x500x57 intercooler and Haltech instead of power FC, car will be tuned Thursday ill post up my results.

[Updated on: Mon, 08 December 2003 00:17]

Send a private message to this user    
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Mon, 08 December 2003 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4" exhaust???

jeesus....
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Mon, 08 December 2003 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I plan on skipping stage 2 and going straight to stage 3! Smile
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Mon, 08 December 2003 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wish I had a 4" full exhaust system. I will be getting the custom dump pipes along with my Hybrid FMIC put on in the next few months. I'm making about 185kw @ the wheels now though.

I have a MicroTech instead of a PowerFC and a 3" Exhaust system.

poombah
Regular

August 2002

Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Mon, 08 December 2003 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well atm im upgrading stuff on mine, i have a 3" dump to rear exhaust, im converting it to manual and fitting a Blitz editted Manual ecu, with a greddy emanage to fine tune, steel turbine ct12's so im hopeing for around 330rwhp @ 1 bar once tuned properly.
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Mon, 08 December 2003 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where are you getting the steel wheels from poombah?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Mon, 08 December 2003 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Having seen the size of the exhaust housings on CT12A turbos, I laugh at the concept of a 4" exhuast. Laughing
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Mon, 08 December 2003 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah having a 4" exhaust sounds pretty over the top. I was going to go for 3", but ended going for 3.5" due to the fact i will have quite a number of bends in the system due to it being a 4WD and having to dodge transfer cases etc. However im starting to think 3.5" might be over the top too when making comparisons to other cars Laughing. Dont the steel wheels come from turbo Starlets?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Mon, 08 December 2003 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gotta love zoon.
4" exhaust Laughing Laughing
plus factory injectors run out at around 250, which (apparently) requires 17psi
poombah
Regular

August 2002

Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Mon, 08 December 2003 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Starlets have CT9's

You get them rebuilt with a steel exhaust turbine.

the ct12b's had a variant that came out at the factory with steel turbines.

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Mon, 08 December 2003 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, i am a bit skeptical on the power outputs from ZOOM. Didn't his Soarer only run a low 13 with 'his' 350rwkw? hmmm Shocked
wastegate
Regular

May 2002

Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Mon, 08 December 2003 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Notice they have no mention of the overboosting...

I'm pretty much at stage 2.5 or whatever and have cronic overboosting problems over 4500rpm, just keeps going above 1bar.

Mods include

Dual Dumps off the turbos
3" Mandrel to a straight though muffy.
2.5 SS mandrel to IC
600x300x90 Bar and Plate cooler
3" SS mandrel to TB
Walbro Fuel pump.

It's a load.

Poombah: Yes but those steel wheeled CT12B's were only in "Export" spec Supras that went to local markets in the US and Europe.

[Updated on: Mon, 08 December 2003 03:42]

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Mon, 08 December 2003 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so to stop the overboosting, would you need either a boost cut defender (don't like em), aftermarket ECU and an upgraded MAP sensor? What sort of MAP sensor would you use?
wastegate
Regular

May 2002

Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Mon, 08 December 2003 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How are any of those things going to stop overboosting, I think I went though this awhile ago. The wastegates can not flow enough. No computer, no boost cut defender and nothing short of milling out the wastegates (or better pissing off those fucked CT12s) will fix the problem. Other people have been having the problems too. People that don't have a restriction.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Mon, 08 December 2003 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Mon, 08 December 2003 10:22

gotta love zoon.
4" exhaust Laughing Laughing
plus factory injectors run out at around 250, which (apparently) requires 17psi

Didnt he install a bigger fuel pump to overcome running out of fuel, or was that much earlier on then 250 rwkw?

wategate: how much power are you making? Do you have an aftermarket ECU? So people with good dumps cant even control the overboosting?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Mon, 08 December 2003 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
having a bigger fuel pump wont make a lick of difference to the fact that the injectors simply cant pump any more fuel.

how bad's your overboosting problem wastegate? I'm running around 15psi, and dont have any noticable overboosting problems - maybe half a psi?

edit: never mind - I'm running the standard dumps

[Updated on: Mon, 08 December 2003 05:26]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Mon, 08 December 2003 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip wrote on Mon, 08 December 2003 14:51

So people with good dumps cant even control the overboosting?

Good dumps cause the overboosting. The stock wastegates are too small, so the stock engine relies on some restriction in the exhaust system to keep boost under control. Remove that restriction and the wastegates can no longer cope; overboosting (or "boost creep") is the result.

FWIW 2JZ-GTE's have exactly the same problem, which is why my dump pipe has a 2.5" restrictor in it.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Mon, 08 December 2003 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry, i was on the wrong topic of boost cut not creep Smile

I was actually referring to it when at stage 3 as i plan on getting a bigger turbo and external gate soon.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Mon, 08 December 2003 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
An upgraded turbo would be a big fat waste of time if you didn't upgrade the engine management at the same time. Once you've done that, boost cut is no longer an issue.
Special Ed
Regular

November 2003
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Mon, 08 December 2003 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That article is a load of crap.

I have everything the stage 2 setup requires, and though it is not tuned i dont think it will crack 230 rwkw let alone 250-270.

Last Dyno day it posted 206 rwkw with a MASSIVE boost leak and 10:1 a/f's.

since then fixed the leak and it has improved a lot.

Further tuning to lean mixtures should also ake more power.

with the leak fixed on Celicamads "dyno Plus" it has recorded a hold rwkw figure of 260 or just over 350 rwhp.

I know this will draw a lot of remarks aboutthe accuracy of the equipment, however I use it as an indication of improvement not an absolute kw figure. We have been testing on the same road, same conditions, same machine for 2 years now and a steady improvement can be shown with each mod.

When i first got the the car it was recording about 240 rwhp on the dyno plus, It was probably what zoom would call "stage 1"- with big exhaust and a bit of boost added.

Dump pipes, exhaust changes cat mods and some minor (incorrect - it turns out) tuning netted around 280 @ 1 barr. This was reflected in a toymods dyno day figure of about 187 rwkw.

Last dyno day - with new intercooler (big) and cam gears (but still no tuning) it held 206 rwkw but with issues (see above).

I reckon now that the new intercooler pipes are porperly sorted (no leaks) It should put down about 220 rwkw at toymods dyno, and possibly 230 (@1.1 bar) with tuning.

So I am about 50 rwkw (or nearly 25%) down on the zoom cars that are tuned on the mythical Tilbrooks Dyno, with the same mods.

Zoom Tech = shit.

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Mon, 08 December 2003 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as i expected Smile

Norbie: i plan to get larger turbo, wastegate (mainfold to suit), ECU, injectors, and intercooler all at once.

One day! Smile
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Mon, 08 December 2003 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Tilbrook's Dyno is notoriously generous, with some rounding up, i think that's how those figures come about.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Mon, 08 December 2003 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im glad i posted this now, its creating an interesting discussion Smile

Norbie: Could it not work both ways i.e. there is so much restriction on the exhaust side that the wastegates simply cant flow enough gas out of them? Or do you think this is purely overuled by the fact that with decreasing the restriction and back pressure the power goes up, therefore more exhaust gas flow, more spinning of the turbine = more boost and the inability for the wastegate to bypass enough gas Smile That sucks

So basically with the list of mods I have given:

a) im not going to be able to control the boost to under 17psi.
b) at these boost levels my turbos will shit themselves
c) buying a boost conrol solenoid with the Haltech was useless as it is going to remain closed 100% of the time
d)i may get 250-270 rwkw on a generous dyno, such as Myaree here in WA which consistantly gives ridiculously high power readings
e)my injectors are going to be near on 100% duty

sound correct?
Special Ed
Regular

November 2003
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Mon, 08 December 2003 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on those points

a) no, although wastegate has this problem, I have never experienced it. We have discussed this at length in previous threads - have a search around.

b)no, there is two generations of 1jzgte aparrently and only the earlier version is more prone to turbo failure, this is related to some ventilation valve problem which was a recall on factory delivered cars. (search on ALSC for more details). I always suspected such a problem as it seems the cars that blow turbos do it time and time again , sometimes within weeks. Other cars go forever pumping 18 psi nigth and day (like mine - the later variant).

c)no, i think with some tricky setup/ programming you will get satisfactory boost control. This has been achieved with other 1j's with similar probs through unusual programming of EVC's.

d) I tend to think that no dyno could within reason and seriously be that optimistic. Who cares what it will make on such a dyno anyway. 230rwkw is acheivable on an accurate dyno I beleive, your car will go hard, that is all that counts.

e)yes, an adjustable FPR may help ( a little)

Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Mon, 08 December 2003 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im glad to say i have the second generation motor Very Happy
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Tue, 09 December 2003 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how do you know if you have the second generation motor?
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Tue, 09 December 2003 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does the cam cover vent go into your intake before or after the rubber peice? After = 2nd gen.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Tue, 09 December 2003 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There was a link to a site posted here which showed you how to identify this a couple of weeks ago.
82MKII
Regular

July 2003
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Tue, 09 December 2003 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep - go here.
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s= &threadid=143293

Regards

Peter
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Tue, 09 December 2003 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"having a bigger fuel pump wont make a lick of difference to the fact that the injectors simply cant pump any more fuel."

I beg to differ... if you increase the fuel pressure and have a better fuel pump, then yes you can often make do with small injectors.

It's not the ideal solution but it does work in budget situations.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Tue, 09 December 2003 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will you only see the benefits of a bigger fuel pump by installing an adjustable regulator at the same time?
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Wed, 10 December 2003 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Urgghhh! Dyno warrior stuff! Wouldn't it be interesting to compare 0-100kph or quarter mile times after each of these Zoom mods, eh?

My own 1JZ build-up goal is the lowest 0 to 100 possible. To me, that sound like a much more useful measure and indicator of which mods are worth doing - given that mine is a 99% street car.

Also, the Zoom article made no mension of autos and manuals making different power levels with similar mods. I know there is some tech. debate about this, but all those ALSC dyno figures sure seem to indicate that un 'worked' autos are sapping more driveline power.

Justin
Another JZA61
1JZ.747
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Wed, 10 December 2003 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when donnan made 250rwkw he already had 840cc injectors not the factory injectors,

if you all care to look at the skyline forums, he turned up at a dyno day of theres and made 285rwkw with standard turbos, and it wasn't run at tillbrook, so it made more power on a different dyno. and all these skyline boys were shitty that there big turbo skyline's got an ass kicking.

i was rather skeptical myself until i did some research of my own. Donnan is an exceptional tuner, that is the bottom line, the same car in another persons hands most probably would have made less power.

you have to take into account he has spent relentless hours on dynos, out on road tuning, it has probably seen more time on a dyno than all of our cars put together. we don't have the finances or the connections to use someones dyno for a day a week for a year long like he does.

and as for the comment about the 13second pass when he is making some 341rear wheel kilowatt. look at the mile per hour 122 MPH, it indicates a lot lower time is possible, you try side stepping a quad plate clutch and getting a sub 2 second sixty foot time. the car wasnt set up for drag. a normal 13 second pass would have a trap speed of between 92 to 105 MPH with a sixty foot time of about low 2 seconds. his sixty foot was high twos, and if you read the article it said the diff was F#$KED, that would also be a contributing factor. look at jases yellow rolla, it ran 11.81 at 118 MPH from memory, donnans car is certainly a mid 11 sec car, just not with the hard suspension setup it ran with.

it amazes me how so many people are quick to criticize a person for putting in the effort when
1, they have never even ran a time at an ANDRA approved event which is world wide recognized, they think there GTECH times qualify as legit. remember ANDRA times are world recognized, gtech'd dyno plus's or what ever back yard invention isn't so as much as you think it is, ANDRA is a even playing field.

2, they haven't done the extensive research that the other person has, and that is why there own car isn't making the numbers. bigger the budget the more research you can do and make more power out of the same package.

3, manual boxes make more power on a dyno as they don't have the slippage factor. so if you have an auto you wont make as much.

everyone is entitled to an opinion obviously, but maybe try emailing donnan or picking up a telephone and asking for his thoughts instead of calling him a liar. be assured i have never heard him call someones car a piece of shit or call there owners liars, he always seems to be helpful to me.

just some food for thought guys, i am just gald to see a toyota being modified in the public eye instead of another $150,000 Nissan GTR that no one can afford.

E30-323ti
Regular

June 2002
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Wed, 10 December 2003 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
using 0-100 times as a benchmark for mods is all good when traction isn't an issue and you can drive consistantly enough not to effect the results (easier for auto drivers than manuals).

You would be better off testing things like 3rd gear roll-ons from 2000rpm say as a point of comparison, if you are still braking traction in 3rd gear roll-ons you prolly wouldn't be using the butt dyno to gauge the effectivness of your mods.

Then you get stuck when your car does almost twice the legal speed limit in 3rd and it wheel spins in 2nd, bring on the Dyno.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Wed, 10 December 2003 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I didn't read the whole HPI build up and i didn't know that it was a 122mph trap speed!!!! 1jz.747: all of what you said makes sense to me.

So is Donnan planning on running it again with a good diff or what?
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Wed, 10 December 2003 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Point taken Embarassed . Guess it depends on the level and type of power you're aiming for. ETTO!
1JZ.747
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Wed, 10 December 2003 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont know, i only what i read and hear. the last HPI he had the car in was infact the article that i read with this info, it also read he has put a JZA80 diff in it whether he runs it again only he knows i suppose. so it goes to show, it helps to read the full article.
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Wed, 10 December 2003 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Somewhere else in that same Zoom mag, another writer said that Martin Doonan had sold the Soarer to put his efforts into the new 180SX drift project. I certainly hope this isn't true!
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Wed, 10 December 2003 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
He sold the Soarer a while ago. It's for sale by the new owner who has recently installed a Getrag V160 6-speed gearbox (same as the Supra TT). I think he's asking $40k for it.
1JZ.747
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Wed, 10 December 2003 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i believe soarer is correct on that one.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Wed, 10 December 2003 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It appears that the stage 2 modidfication path does not include the addition of bigger injectors anyway. 250 - 270 rwkw should be capable with the standard injectors?

This is not dyno warrior stuff either, i dont have a JZZ30 soarer, so the tuners guide would be absolutely useless to me if each modification stage didnt state results in dyno RWKW or the like. Im sure the 0-100 time, or even 3rd gear roll ons of a JZZ30 soarer are going to be far different from a Landcruiser Bundera with a 1JZ and 4.3 ratio 1st gear Smile. I know all dynos are different, this is probably why Donnon states 250-270 rwkw depending on dyno, not "The car will make 270rwkw" anywhere.

If i do or dont make the power it doesnt matter, i was going to follow the modification path anyway.

Turn Sarcasm On - Donnon you had better watch out, if my car doesnt make 250 - 270 rwkw on all dynos im going to come sue your ass. Rolling Eyes
1JZ.747
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Wed, 10 December 2003 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
now theres a sik conversion i want to see.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Wed, 10 December 2003 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree with skip. They made a good choice using dyno figures as there are so many people putting 1jz's in all sorts of cars! ( me included) Smile

Can't wait to get to stage 3!
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Wed, 10 December 2003 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Yeah, dyno figures are the best 'all-round' measure. I guess I just get a bit frustrated with some of the stuff I read. I'm really not going to be going over 110kmh often, and will be getting most of the fun-value from my 1JZ tearing away at the lights and onto the freeway, etc (in the safest possible way, of course Smile ).

What I really liked about one of the earlier Sin City Soarer pieces was that it showed each mod (at that stage I think he was on stock turbos & injectors), plotted on the dyno graph against rpm and kph - not just max rwkw numbers. So, for example, I could see that the APEXI-FC gave a power increase across the board, where-as the cams sacrificed a little power down low for the top end.

It was a bloody brilliant tech. series that I learnt heaps from and am sad to see go.

Justin
JZA-61
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Wed, 10 December 2003 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1JZ.747 wrote on Wed, 10 December 2003 13:10

now theres a sik conversion i want to see.

I wonder what will happen when I put the transfer into low range (2:1), 1st gear (4.3:1), rev to 7000rpm and dump the clutch, maybe i will wheelstand Twisted Evil

Total drive ratio = 2(4 Low)x4.3(1st gear)x4.88(diff) = 41.97:1 haha Shocked

Its quite funny, when i first took the car out i was in 5th gear doin 20 - 30km/h and couldnt work out what the hell was wrong, i thought my clutch was seriously slipping, but that didnt make sense as i put a brand newy in, then i realised i had accidental knocked it into 4 low at some stage doing my conversion Laughing
1JZ.747
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Wed, 10 December 2003 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just to add to this wastegate topic,

i tried a dual stage turbo smart, no sucess, i tried a dna got no sucess. a mate got me a air pressure regulator, a little black knob with a lock setting, fine increment adjustment nd a free movment adjustment. it cost $65 and i never had a problem after that.

i know of guys spending $1200 ON BLITZ DUAL SBC'S and still having problems.
Milhouse
Regular

February 2003
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Wed, 10 December 2003 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

The only thing that bugs me about the Zoom 1J tuners guide is that all the figures are based on a manual 1J when like 5% or 10% of 1J powered cars came out with a manual from the factory!! It would have been so much more interesting and relevent if they had based the figures on what the majority of people have behind their 1J's which is an auto!
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Wed, 10 December 2003 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but it makes us all more eager to sit behind the manual versions

importers must be having a field day on r154's atm
Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Wed, 10 December 2003 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My 2 cents worth on this thread and some of the points raised based on first hand experiences over 3 years of owning/modifying a 1J powered JZZ30 Soarer-

There's an easy fix for the wastegate/boost creep problem beyond 16 psi - have them bored out to the max ; I'm able to run a steady 20 psi from 3500 to 7000 rpm since my wastegates were modified on my hybrid turbos by GCG.

Other than Martin, I'm not aware of any stock turbos flowing 250rwkw or more - anyone heard of anyone else achieving this?

Stock injectors max out between 240 and 250rwkw, 440cc injectors max out between 270-280rwkw and 550cc injectors are at 85% duty cycle at 300rwkw in my experience. Oh, all on pump gas, not fancy race fuels.

Factory stock manual transmission JZZ30 Soarers run about 130-140rwkw on calibrated Dyno Dynamics dynos - I've personally seen two including my own pushng these numbers - mine produced 134rwkw with only the compliance cat converter altered on the entire car after a complete service replacing all consumables. A factory stock GTR ran 140 odd rwkw immediately after my car on the same dyno. Factory stock Auto JZZ30 Soarers run very similar rwkw figures as well according to the results of numerous ALSC Dyno days despite being burdened with an Auto - either the A340x auto is efficient or the R154 is inefficient if this is the case.

Still indiferent about the apparent reliability issues with the difference between "Series I" and Series II" 1J's - yet to see this "factory recall" or observe retrofitting by Toyota Japan when the cars were being serviced, especially on Soarers - perhaps it only applies to JZA70 1J engines?
HedgehogSandwich
Regular

May 2002
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Wed, 10 December 2003 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wastegate wrote on Mon, 08 December 2003 04:08

How are any of those things going to stop overboosting, I think I went though this awhile ago. The wastegates can not flow enough. No computer, no boost cut defender and nothing short of milling out the wastegates (or better pissing off those fucked CT12s) will fix the problem. Other people have been having the problems too. People that don't have a restriction.

Following on from this.. i've got enlarged steel hybrids without any wastegate mod (the later versions had the wastegates enlarged) and have to keep the stock Y pipe and downpipe in order to control boost.
Now then, i'm not too knowledgeable about turbos, but how about welding the stock wastegates closed, and having external wastegate/s to do the job instead? Would this work and would it be better than enlarging the factory wastegates?

[Updated on: Wed, 10 December 2003 11:54]

pannelvan_screema
Regular

November 2002
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Wed, 10 December 2003 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey fellas if zoom creates this much controversy. Everyone will love the new issue as it has a 4A-GE TUNERS GUIDE.

That will open up a whole new can of worms Rolling Eyes Cant wait till this one hits the stands and your hands Very Happy

Happy reading
Richard
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Wed, 10 December 2003 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HedgehogSandwich wrote on Wed, 10 December 2003 21:53

Now then, i'm not too knowledgeable about turbos, but how about welding the stock wastegates closed, and having external wastegate/s to do the job instead? Would this work and would it be better than enlarging the factory wastegates?

Yes that would work rather well, and in fact you'd probably see a modest power increase thanks to better exhaust flow at high rpm.
HedgehogSandwich
Regular

May 2002
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Wed, 10 December 2003 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers Norbie.. i'll loominto it as a future mod.. i'm presuming i'll need two wastegates, one for each or would i only need one?
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Wed, 10 December 2003 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
panelvan screema......hope bill sherwood is writing for zoom OR they've done their homework - Wink
E30-323ti
Regular

June 2002
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Wed, 10 December 2003 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What I was iluding to with the 3rd gear roll on comparisons was not to compare to other vehilces (because there are obvious differences) but as your OWN basis of measurement, in stead of forking out for dyno time when you fit a FMIC or 3" exhaust etc...
If you are visiting the dyno each time you bolt something on then you'll prolly qualify for the "dyno warrior" status!!

As for the WG issue, HedgehogSandwich: you could bolt a 40mm thick spacer between the manifolds and the turbos each with there own discharge (say 30mm) both combining at a 45mm external WG, I guess you would have to make sure the flow is balanced in the Y section or one turbo may boost more than the other.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Wed, 10 December 2003 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
External wastegates are expensive, so definitely only use one if at all possible!
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Wed, 10 December 2003 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manny wrote on Wed, 10 December 2003 22:09

Factory stock manual transmission JZZ30 Soarers run about 130-140rwkw on calibrated Dyno Dynamics dynos - I've personally seen two including my own pushng these numbers - mine produced 134rwkw with only the compliance cat converter altered on the entire car after a complete service replacing all consumables. A factory stock GTR ran 140 odd rwkw immediately after my car on the same dyno. Factory stock Auto JZZ30 Soarers run very similar rwkw figures as well according to the results of numerous ALSC Dyno days despite being burdened with an Auto - either the A340x auto is efficient or the R154 is inefficient if this is the case.

Still indiferent about the apparent reliability issues with the difference between "Series I" and Series II" 1J's - yet to see this "factory recall" or observe retrofitting by Toyota Japan when the cars were being serviced, especially on Soarers - perhaps it only applies to JZA70 1J engines?

Hmm. I have a jza-70 1j engine, with the R154 g/box in an almost completely stock state of tune except for the ma70 cat convertor and a 2.5in exhaust from cat back. Also the restrictor plate in the back of the cat was cut out to 2.5in. My car, needing a service, with stock evrything else - including paper filter (very clogged) put out 152.5 rwkw on a power run, with a madly rich top end (<10:1 a/f ratio) and boost holding at 9psi.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Wed, 10 December 2003 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is little point comparing runs on different dynos... you will find that huge variations are commonplace.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Thu, 11 December 2003 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trying to fit an external wastegate to a 1JZGTE with stock turbos scares me a bit, where the hell could you fit it? Wouldnt you have to make up some custom exhaust manifolds at the same time, it looks pretty hard to somehow adapt an external gate to those little cast squashed looking things.

Had to put the dyno tune back until Monday, just got the car back from the exhaust shop yesterday. It will be tuned on a dynopack too, more controversy with the rear wheel output

[Updated on: Thu, 11 December 2003 00:58]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Zoom 1JZ Tuners Guide Thu, 11 December 2003 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
As explained by E30-323ti, you'd have to put some sort of spacer between the turbo and manifold, and bleed the exhaust gas into a Y-pipe from there. It's not a conceptually difficult thing to do, but actually fabricating it would be a job for the professionals I think.
Pages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:What Boost Controllers are People Using?
Next Topic:Dry Weights of 4age & 4k
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 13:19:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.14293789863586 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.