AuthorTopic
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
icon4.gif  License Renewal plan Wed, 10 December 2003 16:12 Go to next message

Is my Licence Renewal plan a good idea?[ 15 vote(s) ]
1.Yes 8 / 53%
2.No 7 / 47%

I'm sick of bad drivers, as I'm sure many of you are too. I was thinking that to bring the level of driver skill up, that there should be a mandatory driving test - much like the one you took to get your P plates - every five to eight years. You would also have to take this test when you go from P plates to full license. This test would be a little harder to pass than your Ls test, as of course you are a much better driver than you were back then (well hopefully). The test would have an extensive test on road rules and also have a driven component.

If you fail the test, you get put on a temporary green P license. You still keep your normal license, and don't need to display any plates, but you can't drink and drive, can only acquire 5 points in a 6 month period, etc.
You must then resit the test within one month.
If you pass, you get put on a one year green P plate (at the end of this period, your license returns to normal without you having to take any more tests).
If you fail the second test, you must attend a two day driving course and you get another test within two months time and stay on temporary green Ps until then.
If you pass the third time, you get put on three year Green P license (at the end of the three years, you have to resit the test to get your full license back).
If you fail the third test, you get your license suspended for up to two years (Depending on how badly you fucked it up), after which you may re-sit the test to get your Red Ps (just like current red P plates).

What do people think? I know I know, it's a crazy plan and the government will never introduce it, but do ya think it's a good idea?

[Updated on: Thu, 11 December 2003 07:09]

Send a private message to this user    
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Licence Renewal plan Thu, 11 December 2003 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If the Government can get more money out if it they'll go for it Very Happy
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Licence Renewal plan Thu, 11 December 2003 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As good as the idea seems, they would not be able to charge ppl for it as it is mandatory, and they amount of ppl going through these tests would be phenomenal

Lets assume that the test you are talking about takes 30mins (prolly more like 45 with the extensive tests you are describing), and an instructor works 8 hr days, 5 days a week. So in a 48 week year, he cant even put 4000 people through the test. Now lets assume there are 2 million road users in Victoria (feel free to correct me, this was just a guess), then you would need an EXTRA 100 instructors just to take this in.
And at about $35K a year, thats an extra $3.5 million in funds, not to mention the extra paper work it would create, say 10 extra paper pushers, almost put its to $4 million a year.

But now, come to think of it, $4million a year aint that much when it comes to save lives

Go on Shraka, take these figures to your local MP
Billy-Mason PI
Regular

July 2003
Re: Licence Renewal plan Thu, 11 December 2003 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depends who's going to pay for all those tests.... Confused

Me or the Government?

No me..... Very Happy
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Licence Renewal plan Thu, 11 December 2003 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not just P platers though, older people as well say 65+. There are some real shockers in that category.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Licence Renewal plan Thu, 11 December 2003 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nonono Callifo, Shraka is talking about EVERYBODY taking this test every 5 years, nobody excluded
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Licence Renewal plan Thu, 11 December 2003 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh ok well that way they could added for free as a part of the registration fees, because they cost enough already.
JDM hachi
Regular

February 2003
Re: Licence Renewal plan Thu, 11 December 2003 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the only problem is the government would have to spend an ungodly ammount of money on the public transport system so that people can still get to work, remember even the existing licencing system has an appeal process,so the new one would also can you imagine how clogged the courts would be?
Chrisso
Regular

August 2003
Re: Licence Renewal plan Thu, 11 December 2003 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm just amazed at the amount of thought that Shakra has put into this!

I agree with CrUZsida's suggestion, type it up and send it to your local MP. You never know. There's been some pressure put on the government's mentality towards tackling road fatalities almost soley through targeting speeding.

Admittedly it's probably a high cost/high workload suggestion, but has the potential to be the base for a good scheme. In terms of government budget expenditure, $4 million won't break the bank.

Chris.

Great idea by the way.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: License Renewal plan Thu, 11 December 2003 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I understand that it would involve a lot of work, but since when have we become so lazy that even saving lives isn't worth an extra $4-6mill a year?

I think the plan is fairly cheap actually, when you consider the benefits. The problem is, no government in there right mind really wants to stop people from driving. Think how much money they make from petrol taxes, speeding fines, etc. If this plan was implemented I think 5% of drivers would be walking, and another 10% would be on green Ps.

I think on top of this plan, a free safe driving seminar should be offered to drivers once a year. It would just outline new laws introduced in the past 3 years, go over laws that are broken often (such as keeping left) and go over some of the things to be careful of. If you attend this seminar, you get 10% discount off of a hands on driving course. If you attend that driving course, you get a 10% discount off of a full on emergency situation driving course, with driving techniques for stooping a car not equip with ABS in the wet, and steering to avoid accidents etc. People on green Ps MUST attend the seminar at least once a year.

The seminar and both driving courses should be mandatory for drivers going for their red P plates for the first time.

Oh, and yeah I have far FAR tooooo much spare time. Just look at my ride height simulator for proof of that!

Oh and I think the government makes more than enough off of us drivers. I don't understand the ad campaign thing though. Surly raising driver skill and awareness of how dangerous it is to drink drive would be better than just putting TV commercials on!

OH oh! I just got a great idea while editing this post. Drunk driver simulations! You get a bunch of real to life simulators, get people who have been done for drink driving, give them drinks to get them to .06, and then chuck them in the simulator. See how well they go in emergency situations while a little tipsy.

Okay perhaps that last suggestion is a bit insane.

But the simulator could be used to test people as part of the mandatory five year testings. You could set it up like some super sophisticated computer game, with force feedback, optional manual or automatic transmission, then throw the drivers in to totally insane situations. Like the camera runs through a quick flythrough of where you have to go, then you have to follow it without breaking the road laws while an instructor watches you. And then do things like have a pedestrian run out onto the road, have cars in strange places, and a few cars doing strange things, people tailgating you. See how they react to it. Even put them in crash situations that are unavoidable. Have a car illegally pull out in front of them, while oncoming traffic is going the other way, parked cars to your right, and not enough distance to break to a stop, see how they react.

You could even base the simulated test off of how they did on the written component. They did badly on certain road laws, throw them in the simulated levels that require you to use those road laws. Of course, it wouldn't be a substitute for a real on road test, but it would give the testers some idea of how the driver will go in emergency situations without having to endanger anyone or any machinery.

[Updated on: Thu, 11 December 2003 07:08]

Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: License Renewal plan Thu, 11 December 2003 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All I have to say is, B... U... M... P...
Astroboy007
Regular

October 2003
Re: License Renewal plan Fri, 12 December 2003 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you might think thats a good idea, but like the usual tests, it all comes down to the fuckwit writing the ticks and crossses on a piece of papar, if they dont like you then too bad you wont be getting a license today
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: License Renewal plan Fri, 12 December 2003 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Thu, 11 December 2003 14:50

Oh and I think the government makes more than enough off of us drivers. I don't understand the ad campaign thing though. Surly raising driver skill and awareness of how dangerous it is to drink drive would be better than just putting TV commercials on!

Its called scare tactics, and suprisingly it works
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: License Renewal plan Fri, 12 December 2003 04:38 Go to previous message
Understood, but pictures of some lady holding her daughter who has been brutally killed in a car accident just doesn't move me like it used to. Too many of these "Shock" campaigns and we adapt, and they stop being shocking. That and too many violent movies. Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:license cancellation
Next Topic:ta22/2tg
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:08:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0066971778869629 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.