Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Track Talk » How far is Far enough?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

How far is Far enough? Sun, 07 December 2003 23:00 Go to next message
Last night was on my way home with Rob and a friend who owns a SX Corolla. Now the friend was sure that his car would give mine a run for it's money, so we come up to one set of traffic lights and Rob very kindly pulls over behind me to let this friend have a go. Thanks to an absolute shocker of a start it was an interesting race. Next traffic lights Rob does the same thing. He gets another go at me. Smile This time was a bit better. Absolutely blew him away. Was ahead by the end of the intersection and was just pulling away at a very rapid rate. When I got home Rob goes, "I give you another go, and you stuff it up." Confused What I realised was that in that second run, I stopped accelerating and just cruised as soon as I knew it was over (when I was about a body length ahead). He thought I had stuffed up the race and didnt beat him by much.

So how far is far enough? Do you have to go the whole hog and just leave them 100 meters behind? This is assuming the race is one-sided. What if it's close? When do you stop?
  Send a private message to this user    
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: How far is Far enough? Sun, 07 December 2003 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well it was just that on the previous race which you stuffed, Mr. Corolla kept going to 90-100 or so.

But on the second race, you decided that his precedent was too ambitious so you stopped at 70-80 or so. Yeah?

I just wanted you to pummel him into the ground mate Smile Give him a piece of Supra Pie to eat....
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: How far is Far enough? Sun, 07 December 2003 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah but the difference was, the first race I was going 110 when I passed him. Second race I was going 80 or so and was already a car length ahead of him and pulling away, so I just figured it was enough.
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How far is Far enough? Mon, 08 December 2003 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fast enough is when YOU know you've won.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How far is Far enough? Mon, 08 December 2003 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends - usually I'd say 80 or 100 is the end of a drag, but it all depends on how far you're ahead.
if I've ripped someone a new one by 80, there's no point going any further - just makes you more likely to get busted. If they do the loser fly by .. meh, let them think they're king shit.

if it's really close, I tend to keep going till someone is most definitly in front or the other guy backs off - whichever comes first Smile
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How far is Far enough? Mon, 08 December 2003 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Mon, 08 December 2003 13:31

if I've ripped someone a new one by 80, there's no point going any further - just makes you more likely to get busted. If they do the loser fly by .. meh, let them think they're king shit.

you can go past a car doing the speed limit in any shitbox its how quick you get there that counts Smile

Allan
DiZ_
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: How far is Far enough? Mon, 08 December 2003 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Should of used the doulbe blinkers or something. Or just put your head out the window and laughed as he went past.
leebroozlee
Regular

November 2002

Re: How far is Far enough? Mon, 08 December 2003 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah just hazard-light as soon as they're far enough behind to see em and still falling further behind i reckon
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: How far is Far enough? Mon, 08 December 2003 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cant say I like the hazard lights. Just makes you look like a try hard. The good old thumbs up is better I reckon, but you dont always get a chance for that.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: How far is Far enough? Tue, 09 December 2003 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hazards is the international sign of "HAHA SUCKSHIT I WON!

isnt it?
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: How far is Far enough? Thu, 11 December 2003 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
me and my friend in the ra60 and sa63 say we won as soon as we pull infront- either by a good start or whatever. then we slow down to alloy them some loser flyby... Evil or Very Mad

how would an ma61 fare against an auto VL?

just curious... Smile

rob and cal: are you guys brothers?

[Updated on: Thu, 11 December 2003 05:47]

Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: How far is Far enough? Thu, 11 December 2003 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

rob and cal: are you guys brothers?

How'd you guess? Razz

See, I dont like that theory of yours evil. Very Happy Cause if I have an average start, I will lose 99% of my races. Smile Rob gets about 1 or 2 car lengths ahead of me if I have an average start. Very Happy
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: How far is Far enough? Thu, 11 December 2003 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I mean we could always have the theory, the race isn't over till I am ahead Very Happy Very Happy

Quote:

hazards is the international sign of "HAHA SUCKS**T I WON!

Not in South Africa, it is like the "handwave" there and is what you do when someone has let you in to traffic to thank them or whatever. Smile
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: How far is Far enough? Thu, 11 December 2003 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Not in South Africa, it is like the "handwave" there and is what you do when someone has let you in to traffic to thank them or whatever.

Also here, the truckies use it as the "thankyou" sign as well.
FreaK
Regular

September 2002

Re: How far is Far enough? Fri, 12 December 2003 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
'Round here yuo keep it pinned till someone backs down.

Got some good stories (with witnesses even!) like that hehe

'leastaways thats how WE do it. The *ricekidz* seem to just peel and stop peel and stop.

Tho the boys I run with... well ... we have occasionally raced between towns. Like 20-30 mins flat out.
Cop was pissed when he finally found us the one time lol.

Anyway - 80-100??? you talkin MPH? KPH? 100MPH is serious in any city.... Freak
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: How far is Far enough? Fri, 12 December 2003 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah. It's 100kph. I have gone up to 170km once, but that's unusual.

Racing between cities would be heaps of fun. I love it when it's like that. Smile
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: How far is Far enough? Sun, 14 December 2003 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why dont both drivers agree to how far is enough before the race even starts.

First to next traffic lights seems logical, or first to next street sign.

Just a thought.
FreaK
Regular

September 2002

Re: How far is Far enough? Sun, 14 December 2003 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, since most of the time around here, windows are tinted, "races" are just ppl buggin each other at the lights, you know...

The "organised" street racers set a "course" wether it be lights or a section of an industrial area, or wether it be around 'da hood' an the first one back (the real version of what was in 2F2F) !

I like the U.K version of "organised street racing" - the local clubs got with the local police and managed to get a section of street closed for "straightlining" on one evening a month!!!!!!

I'd love to find cops that cool.

Beats the hell out of driving 2+ hours to a dragstrip!
Not to mention the costs with a dragstrip, and the *stoopid* costs of laps on open track days at teh road course 4+ hours from me!

Between towns is real risky, rather stupid really, and verry rare - if you are *goin for it* then the speeds get...stupid.
I wouldn't reccommend you do this,..
AE92poit
Regular

January 2003

Re: How far is Far enough? Tue, 16 December 2003 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Caledwvech was the corolla stock? lol
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: How far is Far enough? Tue, 16 December 2003 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rolla was an ae92 SX 100kw 4age with a new headgasket and shaved head slightly overtightened head bolts.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: How far is Far enough? Wed, 17 December 2003 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If they do the loser flyby. Next lights when your in front of them MOVE INTO THEIR LANE. Shocked Shocked

No more flyby. Very Happy
DrExTc
Regular

August 2003
      nah
Re: How far is Far enough? Thu, 18 December 2003 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
loser flyby in practice..only he doesnt actually "fly by"

http://www.echopshop.com/parts_images/videos/drag2 run.mpg
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: How far is Far enough? Fri, 19 December 2003 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ROFL! That was that civic that was on sale on ebay a while back! Laughing
DrExTc
Regular

August 2003
      nah
Re: How far is Far enough? Fri, 19 December 2003 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indeed it was, and for those who have not seen this remarkable sports car simply click, herya http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ewItem&item=2432601336

this must the worlds fastest civic, do proud, warehouse motors boy Cool
midnight
Regular

November 2003
Re: How far is Far enough? Mon, 05 January 2004 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the race pretty much finishes when ur pulling away so quick they know theyve got no chance, one car length isnt enough...
My monaro could get 2 lengths on a lexus twin turbo but once it hit third the lexus would overtake...
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: How far is Far enough? Mon, 05 January 2004 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah that's true. When you are pulling away at high speeds. In other words, there is no reason that the other car would then catch you up.
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: How far is Far enough? Mon, 05 January 2004 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had a race with an MX5 yesterday, nothing at break neck speeds but he was older like 45sh kinda guy with his wife in the passenger side.. i presume anyways, i think it must have been a mid life crisis thing

anyways at the lights and he looks over and asks what ive done to my celica, i said. oh its just an exhaust on the standard crappy motor,

he smiled and revved his engine, i just let my lumpy 18RG attempt at idle. lights went green and gunned the shit outta it with wheel spin thru 1st, got about a half a length on him, hit second and we stayed the same.. i couldnt put anymore distance on him, but he wasnt reeling me in either...

top of second im doing 90 in an 80 zone hit third for some more chirping, and im doin about 120, so i just go to 5th gear and slow it back down as the old guy keeps flooring on bye.

at the lights he said, she goes nicely but i see you dont have much in the top end of things, lights went green and he dropped the clutch and took off...

i thought, well im not gunna be doing some insane speed on a busy little road, that goes from 80 to 60, this dudes just an idiot. i mean, sure its fun to have a little rev at lights and take off like no 2morrow, but theres a limit to what my license can handle these days...
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: How far is Far enough? Mon, 05 January 2004 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm. It's idiots like that who you just let think they have won. Nothing you can do.

I generally just wait until I am pulling away from them constantly, even if it's only 1/2 a body length ahead.

The other night me and my bro had a race and as soon as I got half a bonnet in front we both let off. We knew the race was over.

If you come from behind to overtake someone, you know that as soon as you take them, the race is pretty much over.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: How far is Far enough? Mon, 05 January 2004 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

The other night me and my bro had a race and as soon as I got half a bonnet in front we both let off. We knew the race was over.

Yes, our races have this funny trend. I win to at least 80 km/h and then once you past me, we back off, 'cause the 162 ain't got so many herbs in the high end. So our races are me in front for 95% of the time Very Happy

But as Agent Smith said, "that is the sound of inevitability". There is no escaping a 3L turbo Smile
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: How far is Far enough? Mon, 05 January 2004 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heh heh. Yeah it all revolves around the start.

If you have a bad start or I have a good start I usually take you by 80 or so.

If I have a bad start or you have a good start you will usually escape inevitibility (sp?) until 95 or so.

Only once has he stayed ahead until 100. A sad day for the Poopra. Mind you that was because I got TOO good a start and wheel spun all through 1st and 2nd. Very Happy
shindeokure
Regular

September 2003
Re: How far is Far enough? Tue, 06 January 2004 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what happens if your car has no guts below 120km/h? Confused
this is where i catch drivers who presume they've already won and already start braking.
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: How far is Far enough? Tue, 06 January 2004 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shindeokure wrote on Tue, 06 January 2004 17:04

what happens if your car has no guts below 120km/h? Confused
this is where i catch drivers who presume they've already won and already start braking.

ROFL. Yeah, my brother can catch me after I start braking as well. Very Happy
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: How far is Far enough? Mon, 12 January 2004 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just out of curiosity why isnt the double blinkers used anymore...... they come real handy at the illegal runs to know who has won, these days there hardly used and you go home wondering did the excel or the 200sx win?
DrExTc
Regular

August 2003
      nah
Re: How far is Far enough? Sat, 17 January 2004 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, i was comging home one night, i was at a set of lights where there were three lanes, first there was me on the far left, blue camry, spinning magz, i looked to the left, and saw a yellow excel looking ricely, i mean nicely Very Happy in the night, and the chik driver of the car appeared to be chatting to someone in a celica, sex unkown due to the triple tiniting effect of looking through two windows,

anyway, the lil excel took off, preety well! coming first, Shocked followed by the celica, then me, the lil excel that could thought she won the race didnt she, putting in her lil orange blinkers, Laughing which were flicked away by the fast up coming peak11n, who thrashed both the celica, and the excel, putting on MY blinkers, in truimph Very Happy

but im sure everyone shares a day of triumph, come on lets hear everyones stories...
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: How far is Far enough? Wed, 24 March 2004 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My most triumpant win would be against a GTI swift. He had dark tints, mags, riced to the max. Well we took off fairly even, then he missed 2nd Laughing So next lights he pulls up beside me again and starts reving his car....lights go green and the mighty celica with 260,000km's on it pulls slightly ahead of him, then he hits second with a screech of tires - starts gaining on me. So I drop into second - bye bye mr gti Smile I stopped when I hit about 110 and naturally he did the looser fly-by and then flashed his hazards Laughing

[Updated on: Wed, 24 March 2004 01:08]

Ozzie
Regular

December 2003
Re: How far is Far enough? Wed, 24 March 2004 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Far enough is when you can flash the hazards a few times. Then back it off.
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: How far is Far enough? Wed, 24 March 2004 12:58 Go to previous message
really no one has won until u agreed on a distant to race. i dont like people who think theyve won coz they pulled few car length on the other car and starts braking, calls them doin 'loser flyby' when actually the other car could still be racing and who knows will win

for eg i had a go with a nx once and kept in front til 120 and i backed of coz it was way over limit. the nx kept goin way past that speed, but i never claimed i won that race nor have i said the guy did loser flyby. i just tell my friends i beat him to 120

my car usually rips most cars mainly fwds to the 100, but alot of car do power past me after third, thats y i never assume that i can beat someone just have 2 gear changes
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:one stupid ute and a stupider motorbike rider...
Next Topic:Owned...
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 14:46:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073099136352539 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.