Toymods » Track Talk » Home mechanic war stories

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Home mechanic war stories Thu, 23 January 2003 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hah, did the ramps trick in the celica when I replaced the panhard rod, did it on a slight slope, and when I drove off em they spat out backwards, nearly taking out my mates knees.
  Send a private message to this user    
Darkfire
Occasional Poster

January 2003

Re: Home mechanic war stories Thu, 23 January 2003 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
First car was a gemini, had it a year and decided to rip out the motor make some mods- first stuff up was, once I had disconnected every thing I started pulling on the Winch block chain but the motor wasn't keen on moving so I hung off the chain. Two quick pops and the motor lifted out - with half an engine mount on each side of it...
Ripped the motor down, at the end I held the crank up high by the front end in one hand for the victory photo, crank slipped, landed rear end first on my big toe, no shoes, cut through toe nail and down to the bone - no photo either.

Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Home mechanic war stories Sun, 02 February 2003 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.

my brother inlaw has a TG Gemini, well, he put a 32/36 on it,his brainy father saw the 2 breather hoses off the tappet cover {went to old air cleaner} weren't going to anything, HMMMMM he says, i'll put these together, built up pressure and blew tappet cover gasket and blew out all 4 liters of oil, fried engine.
new worked engine goes in, didn't bother to change anything else tho. i.e. hoses.
was coming back from the coast one night, his mate was driving {he was drunk}, hmmmmm the car seems to be going slower, flat to the floor in 4th got 80k
blew a heater hose, lost all the water and melted 3 pistons, i got a call at 2.15 in the morning "duh, can u pick me up", now has a 1.8 that he revs to 8000

when he put car back together after paint, he didn't have the bonnet catch, it sucks when the bonnet flips back when doing 110k. that was on the way to schoolies.
on the way back from schoolies a small vibration was felt when exiting the highway, he got 2 more k's and the tailshaft sheared off the 4 bolts,

at my work {Mitsubishi} i got a few stories from the techs, like the one back in 87 when the new magna arrived, took the car for a road test for the PDI {pre delivery inspection} got 2 k's heard a bang, engine died, pulled over and saw half a conrod on the road, and another same type of car tech did a oil change but forgot the new oil, car just stopped, his brain caught up with him, walked back got oil and the car was fine.

toycelica77
Regular

February 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Tue, 11 March 2003 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spending 4 days trying to get a 2H to run Rolling Eyes...

f#ckin diesals!!
Rowan
Regular

January 2003
icon10.gif  Re: Home mechanic war stories Wed, 12 March 2003 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was under my car grinding exhaust bolts off, i got metal in my eye...despite wearing (loose) goggles. i went to the doctor, who sent me to the eye doctor. it took him about an hour to remove two metal bits from my eye, $185 dollars and alot of pain later... Smile and there i was thinking i would save money doing some work myself.

I also ripped of half the finger nail on my index finger when it got lodged between my taiwanese spanner and a the crossmember bolt. On the second attempt the spanner snapped, and part of it almost hit my eye...
anyway those are my horror stories.
Mk2supraman
Occasional Poster

June 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Fri, 20 June 2003 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Probably the dumbest thing I have done I was pulling the motor out of a camry and had it up on the lift. I am trying to get the power steering pump loose so I stick my head up there to see what I am doing.I get the ratchet on there and start pushing. The motor shifts and I am standing there with my head stuck between the drive-axle and the steering rack. One of my buddies got a good laugh out of that.

Or another one I was pulling a motor out of a celica it was also on the lift I was pulling one of the bell housing bolts and the damn A/C compressor comes swinging down from the top side of the car and nails me in the back of the head. The boss walked asked what that was? He was outside and heard it hit me. OUCH!!!!
Mk2supraman
Occasional Poster

June 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Sun, 22 June 2003 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What nobody can beat my stupidity
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Home mechanic war stories Sun, 22 June 2003 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are a few stories from work...

A car fell off a hoist as the lifting pads were not corrctly placed under the sill panel... Got all the way to the roof and as soon as the hoist stopped, the rock tipped the car face first into the ground... The result, one written off car and the customer getting a brand new car at no cost...

There have been a few engine bay fires that are quite funny when they do no damage...

I have managed to smack my head a few times on the hoist arms and they bloody hurt too...

My hoist in next to the Hydraulic Press... I think I need to be wearing safety goggles when I working on the hoist as one day when a bearing was being pressed out of a hub, the spacer tool snapped and a piece of it skimmed the tip of my ear... I felt really lucky that it didn't go in my eye...

I was doing something on a car one day (can't really remember) and I felt something in my eye... So I got the eye wash stuff... Hmmm... Still there, went to a mirror and saw what it was... Couldn't get it out... Went to the medical centre and it ended up being a piece of metal that had cut into my eyeball... Had to use eye ointment for a week and couldn't see out of my left eye for a week...

Thats about all I can think of for the moment...
Mk2supraman
Occasional Poster

June 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Sun, 22 June 2003 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have done alot of stupid things in life but a few standout. I have got my fingers in moving fans numerous times ouch but i still got them. I have been shocked a ton of times but the one that stands out to me is the time I was checking to find a dead cylinder with the car running pulled the spark plug wire off and the damn thing sparked to the chassis then sparked from the bumper to my Zipperand of course got willy in the process.

Another one I didn't do but one of the guys at work went to start a truck that had been towed in last night and it had a hydra-lock so he pulled the spark plugs out of it saw that a few were covered in gas. He went to crank it over to clear out the cylinders and when he did it shot gas everywhere and turned into a fireball. By the time the fire department got there the truck had burned to the ground all the way to the bed of the truck.

I have a ton of stories and injuries but it is good to know that I am not alone.
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Home mechanic war stories Mon, 23 June 2003 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL... Got your willy in the process... That must've been a fright Shocked Shocked Shocked ...
Mk2supraman
Occasional Poster

June 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Mon, 23 June 2003 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked Well it was definitely very shocking to me Shocked
ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Home mechanic war stories Tue, 24 June 2003 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My dad was pouring petrol down the carby to try and start the RA40 (he didn't believe me when I said it ran out of petrol) Anyway it fired out of the carby, into the container which my dad through across the yard and set the grass on fire, so my brother ran over to put that out, didn't realise that my dad and the car had caught fire so there's dad with a sheet trying to put himself and the car out at the same time. Mum was just standing there laughing at them while I ran out of the house with the hose ready to put them all out.

No one was hurt except the hair on my dad's hands and his shirt. So after we all stood around having a good laugh.

I'd just bought my newest RA23, puting it on the trailer to take it home, dad was driving it up and next thing the ramps fell off so it was left hanging there over the edge. Dad was stuck in the car cause he couldn't open the door and it's funny trying to see a 6'3" person climb out of the window of a car. Finally enough of us lifted it onto the trailer. The ramps slipped off as we were taking it off the trailer but managed to keep it from falling. Next attempt the ramp actually speered the bottom of the car and we got stuck, unload everything out of the car and finally got it down. Another time it fell of a ramp in the shed, then while trying to move it off the other rolled of the back.

papercut
Regular

April 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Tue, 24 June 2003 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Tue, 24 June 2003 03:06]

papercut
Regular

April 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Tue, 24 June 2003 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jacking the car up on a mini hydaulic jack, me underneath the centre, when suddenly the car was lowering itself.....

i slid out like the speed of light and got out just in time for the car to slam and crush the jack.

i bought a lottery ticket next day Very Happy
Mk2supraman
Occasional Poster

June 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Tue, 24 June 2003 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked I was changing the tire on a buick century at 1 O'Clock in the morning on a little 2 lane road i jacked the car up pulled the tire off and was going to get the spare out of the trunk when the car slid off the jack and the jack went flying. So i was there at one in the morning stranded without a flashlight looking for that damn jack in the field. I finally found it not before finding a fire ant mound. so an hour later i was back on the road scratching the 30 ant bites on my legs. Mad
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Home mechanic war stories Tue, 04 November 2003 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Worst i have done would be when we were removing the engine from my spare T-18... i live on vegie farm so we weren't using a engine hoist but a forklift (made for dirt not concrete hehe)

bare in mind this was my first time ever removing an engine..

we tryed to remove engine/gb at same time as i lifted the belhousing got caught on the crossmember, we stopped and thought about it but then all of a sudden the car fell forward into the forklift, wrote off the front end of the T-18 (didn't really matter) and the engine was left hanging free of the crossmember.

After this as i was lowering it onto a pallet for transportation (that farmer thing again) my mate was guiding the engine down as i was watching the engine, the forks were actually getting stuck and lowering slower than usual, the chains got bunched up then all of a sudden the engine dropped and forks landed on top!!! missed my mate but made a mess off the aircleaner hehe
(the forklift had a home made fork carrier my uncle made which wasn't properly tested, not perfect but still going, wore in a bit hehe)

Prolly lots more, thats my worst
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Tue, 04 November 2003 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i earthed my turbo timer to the wrong bit of metal and managed to fry both my turbo timer and my dash lights/switchgear. '

im also another person that managed to lock myself out of the car while it was still running.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Home mechanic war stories Wed, 05 November 2003 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try doing an out of chassis rebuild on a 8v92 Detroit diesel! bent the engine crane nicely and that was only the short block no supercharger,heads or flywheel!

I have got all the good jobs too on my brothers truck.. rebuilding an 8v92 blower when you didnt see how it come apart is one hell of a jigsaw with VERY tight clearances

then theres the RTLO915 roadranger gearbox with twin counter shafts that if you miss time the gears it splits the case in half

The number of cuts and bruses in the above alone are note worthy let alone the many engine/gearbox swaps and other things that have given crushed fingers, about the most instant pain i would say was grabing a bullbar tightly that had just been welded basicly stick my little finger on glowing red metal HUGE blister

Allan
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Home mechanic war stories Thu, 06 November 2003 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
see how many of these problems could be solved by having a fire extinquisher in the car Smile
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Wed, 12 November 2003 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Finally managed to read this post in one go. Brought tears to the eyes, and a few grimmaces (the zapped willie and zipper one).

I've managed to rebuild the engine in an old CB200 motor bike, rushed the finish, took it for a spin, and wondered why it was 'tinking' rather loudly. Shocked No oil !!!!

One of the worst things when about to smack the knuckles against a sharp object is that definite knowledge about 2 milliseconds before it actually happens that this is gonna hurt, which it invariably does. Mad

On the elctrical front, used to work for a company that made the batteries for the Collins Class subs (really big lead acid suckers). 2V for each cell, but the conductors joining the cell are 2 off 20 x 75mm solid copper bars. Short out those terminals, and the spanners diasappear !!
waynewatson
Regular

May 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Thu, 04 December 2003 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My cooleant was overheating, so i take radiator cap off with a rag, puts a bit of coolant over the place. Took me 5 minutes to clean the engine bay out the next day. I take the car to RED DEVIL for a radiator clean. $260 later i get the car back and there is coolant on EVERY FUCKIGN THING IN THE ENGINE BAY from the windscreen wipers to the front bar. Took me hours to clean it again and the smell didn't leave for weeks. Fucking dickhead, should have asked for my money back. I've never met anyone so unprofessional.
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Thu, 04 December 2003 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i don't usually attempt home repair jobs, for many of the reasons stated above. But here's my contribution anyway.

I had a mate who was a builder...

He had cracked the cylinder block in his XF Falcon & had been quoted ~$500.00 to get it welded. 'Stuff that!' he said, 'I'll do it myself' (isn't this how all war stories get started)...

Being a builder he had an abundant supply of quick dry cement... So he decided it'd be easier & quicker to bog up the crack with cement rather than go to the time & effort to get it welded.

Needless to say the engine was pretty screwed after that Laughing

4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Sun, 07 December 2003 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scissor jack collapsed while working under sisters car...
came out black from spraying undercarrige of my 3rd car...
scissor jack collapsed while replacing the nth dif in my 3rd car while under it...
saw smoke coming from engine bay while driving, opened it to check after pulling over to be greeted with flames , sparky that had stuffed wiring up
had an accident in 4th car fair distance from home damaging bonnet holder so it wouldnt catch so used coathanger wire and plastic cable ties to get me home , didnt get home in 1 piece needless 2 say
4got 2 replace oil in g/box after replacing it untill 10 k plater it let go on me whining a painful death on the freeway
oh the fun
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Home mechanic war stories Mon, 08 December 2003 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4DaDrift wrote on Mon, 08 December 2003 02:36

scissor jack collapsed while working under sisters car...
scissor jack collapsed while replacing the nth dif in my 3rd car while under it...

ALL SCISSOR jacks have a clear label "DO NOT WORK UNDER CAR SUPPORTED ONLY BY THE JACK"

Read it....

Understand it....

Dont do it again!
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Tue, 09 December 2003 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yer im lucky i had 4x solid stands and 4x rims stacked into 2 piles otherwise id be a pancake
FreaK
Regular

September 2002

icon10.gif  Re: Home mechanic war stories Fri, 12 December 2003 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing oh my .. the tears! Memories and the thot of what you all looked like at the time!

Short list;
Snapped wrenches, bolts, wires, busted knuckles
Dropped automatic trans on head twice (same car, different methods)
Dropped car (4 stands, dirt shifted) on best friend (not hurt)
Shorted battery thru wrench and RING ouch...
Shot top hat and spring thru basement wall when compressors weren't tight enough - good thing rest was in vice!
Tore engine mounts using engine starter and wrench to snap loose main pully bolt
Kick started warm Harley in gear (fun!)
dear God I can't remember all the stoopid things I've done
Sat in engine bay holding (!!!) tow chain while buddy hammers other end with tow car to pull out Mustang frozen into Ice on a farm
Coathanger-wired doors shut, mufflers on, steering together...
"Yah yah, it's OK - just kick the starter once while I hold this..."
Had fresh built TRD 22R, fresh cleaned everything, freshly loosened airfilter gasket too - got sucked into the intake by the massive vaccuum and jammed the TB wide open in 3rd - in traffic on test run
Shorted out nearly everything imaginable while imagining new methods to "trick out" the stereo install...

I have equally as many friends ask for my mechanical help as do RUN when I "try something" lmao. I tend to be the "I can figure this out" kind, as well as the 'parts left over box' kind.

Tho my cars do seem to run fast and long! (and I still have all my body parts!) Razz

keep 'em comin!
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Fri, 12 December 2003 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My ex girlfriends car decided to catch on fire on the way home one night. We had to stop in a bad area too. An 86 Celica. It eventually was engulfed in flames and the fire department had to be called. All the drunk people came out saying it was going to explode. She managed to get more than what it was bought for from the insurance! Laughing
M.J.H
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: Home mechanic war stories Fri, 12 December 2003 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prob the worst that has happened to me was when i was doing an engine swap for a friend of mine.
We decided to drop the whole k frame out of the donor car and then take the motor off the cross member after it was all out on the ground.
After getting car lifted up and getting everything else undone it came time to undo the x-member bolts so we put a jack under neath and i undo one side with the rattle gun and as the bolt comes out the jack moved and it came down with enough force to rip the strut top on the other side so i was stuck holding the gun with the whole motor,box x-member ass on top.
Not fun at all.
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Fri, 12 December 2003 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=
I try not to do too much mechanical work for obvious reasons[/quote]

ahh, my sides hurt Laughing
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Home mechanic war stories Fri, 12 December 2003 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
An Apprentice manged to put 20litres of oil into a range rover without notcing he hadn't put the drain plug back in. Put it back in and refilled. On the raod test, it came to a chugging, staggering, followed by large bang halt. He refilled it alright, right to the top! Blew the side out of a sleeve and it had pumped oil into most of the other cyl's. New engine for rangie, the boot for the app. Car only had 2000k's on it too.

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Fri, 12 December 2003 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I tend to be the "I can figure this out" kind, as well as the 'parts left over box' kind.

das me too! I haven't yet done anything too serious beyond a cut thumb very very deep when my wrench slipped taking my rear disk torque plate off.... dare I tempt fate here?
i286
Occasional Poster

January 2004
icon10.gif  Re: Home mechanic war stories Sun, 04 January 2004 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LMAO @ Guy with mini and the fan/radiator 'problems' Laughing Laughing Laughing Razz

Sorry at present time nothing stupid on real car, unless you want to hear some remote control car stories Mad Very Happy Laughing
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Home mechanic war stories Sun, 04 January 2004 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"Tore engine mounts using engine starter and wrench to snap loose main pully bolt"

and there I was thinking this may be a viable option!
FreaK
Regular

September 2002

Re: Home mechanic war stories Sun, 04 January 2004 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually cracking the pulley bolt with engine starter is a "viable option" - but be warned.
If you don't have a rattlegun this is about the only way I know to get that damn thing loose!
I've heard of people stuffing a chunk of lumber into the crank to brace the rotation agains the effort... I've heard of people rolling a to BDC and stuffing rope into the combustion chamber through the sparkplug hole then rolling the engine up and hoping that holds......

There are a million ways to screw your engine! lmao. Freak

Mine decided to "exit, stage left" beacuse the engine mount was weak to begin with (not sure if it was Toyota or aftermarket) and my usual *launch* with this car (84 Celi GTS with 22RE) was around 3500RPM then drop the clutch. So the force applied (converse to normal rotation) was enough to make things real exciting real fast!

It took a lot to make things fail hehe.
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Home mechanic war stories Sun, 04 January 2004 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I havent done much, but what I did do was take the radiator cap off when the engine was still hot (I THOUGHT it was cool enough Embarassed ). Needless to say the resulting explosion was quite spectacular.
walu
Regular

December 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Wed, 07 January 2004 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
An ex-girlfriend (not the sharpest tool in the shed)of my brothers was asked when the last time she had changed the oil. Next time she filled up with petrol she grabbed 4 litres of oil and put it in. The went back into the service station to get another 4 litres. Attendant asks why she needs another one.

"It hasn't filled up to the top yet"

All heart but no understanding of drain plugs or dip-sticks.
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Home mechanic war stories Wed, 07 January 2004 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used to own a little charade turbo.
I was wanting to do an oil change but I had realised that the turbo oil supply line had cracked and was squirting oil over the rear of the engine. It was cracked right near the mounting point so I would had to have got a new one (not an easy task). I also had a charade wreck so I scavenged a line from it which had been cracked closer to the middle. Anyway I cut out the cracked section and replaced it with some vacuum hose line and some cable ties to hold it on tight Razz

I then drove the car to Castle Towers ( a shopping centre about 10 kays drive from home) to get some oil and an oil filter.
Once I had driven into the car park the rubber hose slipped off the metal line and sprayed oil all over the exhaust and block producing enough smoke to have convinced anyone that I'd done a ripper of a burn out through the carpark. I pulled over on a slight ramp so as not to destroy the engine from oil starvation. and there was a shitload of oil going down the ramp and all throughout the engine bay. The smoke set off the fire alarms which then began the evacuation of castle towers. A security guard came over and asked for my drivers license and I then started thinking "Oh Shit how much is this going to cost me".

The firies came and cleared up the oil, helped push my car out of the car park and left.

I got my car towed home and I haven't heard anything about it since.

I then took our van to the same place to get the oil and oil filter and ran one of those boom gate things down the side leaving some nice big horizontal dents. I was fucking pissed off after that.

It was a shitty day for me.

[Updated on: Wed, 07 January 2004 06:32]

Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Home mechanic war stories Wed, 07 January 2004 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a mate of mine had a 1975 corona
he had reversed the rear up some car ramps on the side of the road to fix the bolts on the uni joint.
Once he had fixed it he revved it up to about 4k and dumped the clutch while he was still on the ramps. It looked like his car had just dropped and the ramps slid down the road about 10m.
I was laughing for about 5 minutes after that.
He also launched his car off the ramp at Dural Mitre 10 and got about a foot of air beneath his tyres!
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Wed, 07 January 2004 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FreaK wrote on Fri, 12 December 2003 16:15

Shorted battery thru wrench and RING ouch...

haha,
been there Embarassed
walu
Regular

December 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Wed, 07 January 2004 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My war story is a little different - working under the Corolla (no stands, jacks, ramps etc, so my nose is against the underbody) not a lot of room, reach for the spanner I just put down and cannot find it.

My mum, a neat freak, had wondered passed and decided it looked untidy - and went and put it away!
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Thu, 08 January 2004 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

He also launched his car off the ramp at Dural Mitre 10 and got about a foot of air beneath his tyres!

hahah yeah I know the one, I used to go to Pacific Hills Xn School near there and that ramp is NASTY.. was he going up or down? Very Happy
Tommo
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Thu, 08 January 2004 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Thu, 08 January 2004 04:51]

Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Home mechanic war stories Thu, 08 January 2004 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
He was going up.
I was thinking that he was going to crash into the HSV GTO that was parked to the side.

Where abouts are you from ROBst162?

I love Quarry Road Evil or Very Mad
but anyone in the passenger seat is like Shocked
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Home mechanic war stories Thu, 08 January 2004 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah Quarry road is awesome. Those bends around the school taken flat out are so much fun. Just have to make sure you do it on the weekend or late at night. Night is better cause you can see the headlights on oncomming cars and so you know if you can cut the corner or not. Very Happy
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Mon, 12 January 2004 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lol these war stories are funny Laughing , i have 2 Both while changing oil. I have done the famous put in the oil and forget to put the plug back on Confused . Also i finished changing the oil and left the bucket full of oil under the ramp, thinking the car will clear the bucket becuase its quite small, anyway i roll the car off the ramp and hear a crack and the oil goes allover the garage, an hour later it was cleaned and i was feeling dizzy Embarassed and i started to catch a cold then next day got a 41 degree celcius fever where i fainted a few times, and 4 days later i was better, and thats all because i was lazy and didnt take the bucket from under the ramp. Razz
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Fri, 23 January 2004 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i rarely go out and buy lowered springs...... im the type of person to cut them and make the car sit on the cement.... now ive learned after cutting springs on a previous car thinkin 2 myself there is no harm nothing has happened before, i learnt my lesson..... cracked oil sump, oil all over the place blown motor...... and all this on a bmw Sad. another one: cut springs on a corolla the firewall cracked making it weak from the front end a few months later front end welds snap from the bouncing.... under a gemini welding the diff the jack falls down lands on my ankle...... ouch Sad. tightening a handbrake cable on a laser i overtightened it the cable snaps whips me in the back. had no screws left to hold on a bodykit on a previous car... best next thing Razz TIE SNAPS! ties snap whilst driving i run over my bodykit...... on my old 1999 holden barina GSI driving heard a rubbing sound ignored it. i thought itd just be the wheels rubbing on the back guards cause they were 17s and the car was low i turn a corner the back wheel falls off ripping apart the bodykit and damging the left side door it turns out 2 be a seized bearing in the back left wheel Sad
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Fri, 23 January 2004 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TryUrLuk wrote on Fri, 23 January 2004 12:22

well i rarely go out and buy lowered springs...... im the type of person to cut them and make the car sit on the cement.... now ive learned after cutting springs on a previous car thinkin 2 myself there is no harm nothing has happened before, i learnt my lesson..... cracked oil sump, oil all over the place blown motor...... and all this on a bmw Sad. another one: cut springs on a corolla the firewall cracked making it weak from the front end a few months later front end welds snap from the bouncing....

Cutting springs that many times and not learning Shocked

You deserve all of the shit that you get Rolling Eyes

When will people learn that this is about the dumbest thing to do to a car
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Sun, 01 February 2004 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey it mite be dumb but fuk it looks good..... correct?
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Sun, 01 February 2004 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TryUrLuk wrote on Mon, 02 February 2004 02:15

hey it mite be dumb but fuk it looks good..... correct?

Ummmmmm....NO
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Home mechanic war stories Sun, 01 February 2004 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude, cutting springs is stupid. Ok, I might look ok, but surely you are not so tight-fisted to not go out and spend $300 to look after your car. Sheesh Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Mon, 02 February 2004 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Benjamin did I see you crossing Old Windsor Rd at Norwest Boulevard on Sunday arvo??

Yeah I am from Epping, but went to Pacific Hills... Quarry Road is sweet as, except when the school is on. of course. I always take that Mitre 10 bump slow. You would get wicked air going up at speed. Evil or Very Mad
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Mon, 02 February 2004 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you try finding 4inch lowered springs for a 1997 bmw 318is or 4inch springs that will neatly fit 17inch wheels on a rolla. pedders and lovells stop at 3inches...... king springs stop at 2.5 - 3 inch
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Home mechanic war stories Mon, 02 February 2004 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't think so I didn't drive at all on Sunday.
I have P plates aswell. If you see me, shout out. (I'll prob be flyin' though Very Happy )
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Home mechanic war stories Mon, 02 February 2004 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My springs in the rear are chopped... Thats the way that I bought the car... I havn't been able to afford to get them done yet... Rust is more important to rid of first...

I have had no problems at all... Even when wheels get airborne... Maybe it's cause they are in the rear or just the strut design... Everyone says that they are dangerous and they probably are in some circumstances, like chopping the spring in 1/2 or something...

The ones that i got are lowered and stiffened and they have had 1 coil chopped... Not too harsh but yeah, I wanna get some king superlows sometime soon...
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Home mechanic war stories Fri, 06 February 2004 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Had to take two wheel studs out of an AE86 hub the other day. the donor strut had come to me with a damaged bearing retaining nut, which was a result of the previous owner hiting it to try and remove the carrier. I appraoched it with the 9" angle grinder and cut away the damaged area of the nut, only to find it still holding tight on the stub axle. Another cut with the grinder saw the nut removed all together, and me thinking all I had to do now was slide the carrieer off - wrong!!! the carrier wouldn't budge, the result of a collapsed bearing I thought, so proceded to hit the back of the rotor with a Gympie to try an dislodge it. At this point, I'll mention I had no interest in the strut or rotor, so destroyed the rotor in attempting to remove it (I broke the rotor clean away from the mount with the gympie). Still wouldn't move, so back to the grinder, where I then cut into the bearing and stub axle on a horizontal plan, to relieve the force on the bearing. More persuassion with the gympie still had not effect, so I reached for the sledge hammer. When it finally came off, I noticed the bearing race was non existant - obviously the previous owner had been driving with some terrible grinding noises!!! I posted the wheel studs off, and threw the rest in the bin!!!
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Sun, 08 February 2004 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TryUrLuk wrote on Mon, 02 February 2004 17:04

you try finding 4inch lowered springs for a 1997 bmw 318is or 4inch springs that will neatly fit 17inch wheels on a rolla. pedders and lovells stop at 3inches...... king springs stop at 2.5 - 3 inch

Personally I just wouldn't cut the springs EVER....
Whats wrong with going 3"??
Does 1" make THAT much difference though??
Like after all its not making the car perform any better...
I want my car to look neat, but i would never do anything that could damage the car just for it to look good.
I'd do it for performance, which lowering it doesn't do much i've heard.... if anything!
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Home mechanic war stories Sun, 08 February 2004 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i didnt do up my earth terminal on my ma70 alternator when i put the car back together Sad Car died on the way home...looked inside engine bay to see a melted terminal...but cleaned it with sandpaper and all was good again...good ol toyota!
flynn21atwork
Regular

November 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Tue, 17 February 2004 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Had a good one at the race track, racing bikes.
Just bought an Aprilia RS250, second time riding it, when the gearbox decided to select 2nd and 3rd simultaneously on a down shift coming out of turn 9 at Eastern Creek. The bang was loud enough that people heard it back at the pits, and my crank case, along with everything inside blew to pieces across the track. Managed to keep it upright though, so I didn't drop the bike until....
Back in the pits I was wheeling the bike around to load on the trailer when I managed to drop it and scratch up all the nice paint work. I was so pissed off that I went to kick a can of Coke on the ground (let that agression out Mad ), the can turned out to be full and unopened, which then hit the wall and bounced straight back. It smashed my big toe joint, resulting in a 2 1/2" titanium screw having to be inserted to hold it all back together. I couldn't walk for three months... pretty ironic considering I was at the track hurtling around at over 200ks, maybe I can sue Coca Cola.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Tue, 17 February 2004 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Sun, 08 February 2004 17:11

i didnt do up my earth terminal on my ma70 alternator when i put the car back together Sad Car died on the way home...looked inside engine bay to see a melted terminal...but cleaned it with sandpaper and all was good again...good ol toyota!

There are no earth terminals on an alternator. It earths through the body to the block. You talking about the positive wire?
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Home mechanic war stories Wed, 18 February 2004 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Perhaps thats it...well theres a plug on it, and also a terminal.
Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Anyone know someone in sydney with a 2 door r31 skyline?
Next Topic:1500-3000rpm 1,2,3,4 beat aVN
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 13:22:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0093779563903809 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.