AuthorTopic
joemor
Occasional Poster

June 2002
left foot braking Tue, 11 June 2002 06:06 Go to next message
when is it usefull,
how u do it?
best ways to see results when starting?

and im not talking bout driving a shit auto commo with 1 foot on the brake to do burnouts!!!!!

is it only good at high speeds? or only on gravel?

i need a detailed description so i can go thrash my mums car PROPERLY!!!! lol

joe
  Send a private message to this user    
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: left foot braking Tue, 11 June 2002 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do a search on the old forums in the TECH section and you should find all the answers there Very Happy
joemor
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: left foot braking Tue, 11 June 2002 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just tried and didnt find anything........

what should i search under?
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: left foot braking Tue, 11 June 2002 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unless you know what you're doing, I'd advise against it (for road use)

You won't be able to exercise the control of your right foot with your left and your braking effort will be disproportionate to what is required...esp. in an emergency!

As for doing it off-road (track etc), I'd also advise caution... for the above reasons.
yatesie
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: left foot braking Tue, 11 June 2002 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id agree that it isnt good to left foot brake unless you know what you are doing, but once you have pedal feel in your left foot.. it can be useful to get you out of the sticky situation of understeer (in rear / AWD cars). The principal of left foot braking is that in an understeering situation, your rear wheels are gripping more than your fronts, by braking an giving it a bit of herbs, you then grip on the front while the rears are slipping. Hope thats of some help

a good reference is www.drivingtechniques.co.uk i think it is

Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: left foot braking Tue, 11 June 2002 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd have to give you pretty much the same advice as everyone else.. Don't try it anywhere that you could possibly hit something! Razz

There isn't really any way you can get good at it without practice though, so find some quiet roads (preferably WIDE ones) late at night and go for it. Driving a front wheel drive, i find it extreeemely handy for countering understeer when cornering at high speeds. Coming onto the brake too sharply though can be pretty dangerous as it makes the rear end very susceptible to coming around on you. This can be fun, but you want to make sure there aren't any other cars around, and you aren't too close to any gutters, telegraph poles etc etc...

Having had a bit of practice with the technique now, i find it invaluable when attacking roads like the Old Pac, or the National Park. (also makes roundabout work a bit more fun too! Smile)
yatesie
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: left foot braking Tue, 11 June 2002 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm.... wouldnt have thought you would have gained anything by left foot braking in a FWD. unless your doing just for its quicker access. Never tried the technique in a FWD before... but yeah.. practicing it on an open dead road is good... If you in a RWD car.. its quite alot of fun, as its the best way to switch from understeer to over, and if you drive a TA22... they tend to understeer to the max (well mine does anyways)
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: left foot braking Tue, 11 June 2002 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehehe... i remember when i was teaching myself to left foot brake:

went for a bit of a rally out in the national park to figure it out. was at it for over an hour or so, then made my way back into the suburbs.

cruising down a street near my house at about 70kmh, i went to jab the clutch in, as you do, for a shift, and instead, hit the brake pedal in a big mofo way (as foot was used to going over the brake).

MASSIVE 4 wheel uncontrolled skid up the road.

scared myself absolutely shitless

hope that adds to your enthusiasm

cheers
ed
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: left foot braking Tue, 11 June 2002 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've found left foot braking in a FWD car to be EXTREMELY USEFUL, it is a great way to keep the weight over the front wheels to counter understeer.

But like everyone has been saying tho, make sure you get REALLY used to it before you try it at any decent speed, because your left foot is definately not "tuned" for braking and the first couple of times you do it you'll probably find yourself either stopping WAAAY to soon or locking up your fronts. You just really need to "hover" over the brakes, not really apply it... And once you get the hang of it you can actually use it to kick the tail end out too Smile

Chris_RA60
Regular

May 2002
Re: left foot braking Wed, 12 June 2002 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just to start off, practice normal braking with your left foot, so you can get the feel of it. Your left foot will usually be used to slamming down the clutch, so the fine touch required for braking can be a bit hard at first. Just make sure there's no cars too close behind you
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: left foot braking Wed, 12 June 2002 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm it was there but I just did a search around and cant find it either.... I recall it was under a thread where the guy got double clutching and left foot braking confused..Ill have another look a bit later to see if I can find it for you
ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: left foot braking Wed, 12 June 2002 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Michael i believe im sad to say i think i have more time on my hands then anyone as i know the internet like the back of my hand Eye Spin
The thread you are refering to is on the forum on 4agze/twincam16.

But in any case, Heal and Toe can be handy in normal day to day driving, but you should only have to really left foot brake if your in a racing situation to help balance the car during mid corner, and under braking and acceleration so you dont waste time moving your right foot from brake to accelerator and vise versa.

Why any one would want to do it on the road is beyond me as the traction limitations of the car shouldnt came in to play, unless you doing something wrong of course hehehe

Ben
AE86 Trueno 4AGE

Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: left foot braking Wed, 12 June 2002 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is Not for inexperienced drivers....
In a FWD or AWD car, a quick hard dab of the brakes, just on entry to a corner, will cause the car to oversteer, but you still have to keep your right foot planted which effectively helps pull your car around the corner. And if you do get it at the right point, you can hold the brake to control the slide right around a fast sweeper (dirt) or keep a neutral balance (Tarmac) So in the end you don't lose too much speed
In a RWD, Its more or less to hold a balance (Neutral) while going through a corner at speed and not having the car go into oversteer or understeer.
joemor
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: left foot braking Wed, 12 June 2002 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so a big gravel car park would be the best place to learn?
ive been practising the left foot on the brakes for a while now and its a good as the right, so i guues its time for mums astra to see some fwd drift Smile

joe
Chris_RA60
Regular

May 2002
Re: left foot braking Thu, 13 June 2002 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just remember, tarmac and gravel are two very different things.
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: left foot braking Thu, 13 June 2002 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and a combination of dirt to tarmac is especially dangerous when trying to left foot break or slide accross one to the other Smile

Ben do you know the exact thread I did a search and found nothing...perhaps you could post the thread up so people can link to it?

[Updated on: Thu, 13 June 2002 05:41]

IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: left foot braking Thu, 13 June 2002 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok had another crack at the search and found it... heres the link, but re-reading it you will have to exuse how rude I was at the beginning....Im kinda embarassed by it now Embarassed

http://pub26.ezboard.com/ffwdtoyotafrm4.showMessag e?topicID=1219.topic
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: left foot braking Thu, 13 June 2002 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

and a combination of dirt to tarmac is especially dangerous when trying to left foot break or slide accross one to the other

Doesn't Dangerous = Fun, especially if you pull the move off... When doing this, it will sort the average driver from the best...

Michael, That topics about double clutching, Not Left Braking, and I think the other topic on the old forum was the Scandinavian Flick....

joemor
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: left foot braking Fri, 14 June 2002 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
true dangerous = fun

i love comming into rounderbouts pull the h-brake and slide it round....

....... and somtimes end up facing the wrong way hehehe
it half the fun

joe
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: left foot braking Fri, 14 June 2002 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes dangerous does = fun sometimes (theres also nothing wrong with learning all this stuff at an approved course!) however I dont want someone to take what I have said and test it for themselves and end up hurt, so it was just warning that going sideways from dirt to tarmac at speed as you well know is a lot more dangerous than just hanging the tail out in the dirt. Thats all I was getting at Smile
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: left foot braking Fri, 14 June 2002 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
been there done that.
the 4 wheel drift is going beautifully, when suddenly the back wheels of your car GRIP, and unfortunately the front keeps going ... almost put myself into a spin doing that
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: left foot braking Sat, 15 June 2002 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

(theres also nothing wrong with learning all this stuff at an approved course!)

Totally agree, or in a big paddock, nothing to hit, and a good rollcage!!
I the end you need a feel for the car, ie what's good (it's strengths) and what's not (it's weaknesses), and on this you can become a better driver, but we all need to still be weary of of cars.
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: left foot braking Sat, 29 November 2003 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey anyone get F1 magazine this month? (december 03 ) there is a really interesting article about Rubens never having left foot braked in his F1 career until the last round at suzuka this year where he gained a lot of time in the high speed corners, interesting that they say as a rule right foot braking is better and faster in the tight and twisty?
Greg.
Regular

November 2003
Re: left foot braking Sun, 30 November 2003 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
About 6? years ago the Company I worked for took all the staff to a driving day at Oran Park...the whole thing was great...skid pan flooded ...timed braking etc etc ...entry/exit to corners, defensive driving risk avoidence etc etc
everybody was in their own car...my '92 Camry was a slug but it did stop and steer..as well as all the theory and group drives...5 in a company commi. driven by an instructor was pretty scary for a while..then each of us got a 3 laps with an instructor and left foot braking was a part of it..the reaction times in the "testing" we did were cut to bits over the day...as we got "better" and the left foot poised to jump on the pedel is now part of my daily driving...easier in an auto of course..The final run of the day was each student got a lap as passenger in a very modified RX7...HOLY SH*T..no movement in the suspension..flat chat all the way..a few of the chicks were white as ghosts when they got out and one lost her lunch..I was just shaking quietly...and yep lots of left foot braking..

The guy I had...Peter ??forget name.. was the then current truck racing champ...the school was Ian someone...forgot his second name as well...

It must have cost a bundle for the lot of us but everyone reckoned they learnt heaps..It was costing about $200 a head some years later.
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: left foot braking Fri, 12 December 2003 12:04 Go to previous message
ian luff advanced driving courses
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Car Vandalising Idiots
Next Topic:Who's going to SummerNats?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-