Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Bazooka
Regular

April 2003

4A Turbo matching Thu, 11 December 2003 09:06 Go to next message
Now I know this may sound like it has been covered many times before but I did a earch and could really find anything that was specific enough.
Am looking into turbocharging 4A-GZE and would like to know from anyone who has had experience with this what sort of turbos work best.
I am only looking at second hand import turbos from factory engines as the budget just isnt there for a brand new aftermarket turbo.
So basically what I would like to know from people is what turbos off factory cars give what sort of performance on a 4A engine.
What turbos seem to be the best?
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4A Turbo matching Thu, 11 December 2003 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ball bearing T28 from S15 and S14A 200SX seems to be the winner. Other popular ones include the turbo from RB20 but these have ceramic turbines.
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: 4A Turbo matching Thu, 11 December 2003 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if interested mates got a t3 (i think) of a fj20 or vl dunnydoor (i think) 4 sale
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4A Turbo matching Thu, 11 December 2003 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't mean to sound rude when I say this, but neither of those turbos are very good, nor are they likely to produce a nice result on a 1.6l engine.
Bazooka
Regular

April 2003

Re: 4A Turbo matching Thu, 11 December 2003 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok so how am i going to identify one of these T28 turbos?
I assume they are off the SR20's but there are a lot of different ones out there. Engines are usually imported in already out of the car so how do I tell what car it is out of??I have an RB20 turbo lying around but not sure of its specs. It came off an R31 skyline.
How do I know if a turbo has ceramic or steel wheels?
Sorry for all the questions but I gotta learn somehow.
What about the toyota turbos? (CT20/B, CT26)
I know where there is an RB25 turbo too, assuming this will be too big but how good are these?
What about Subaru WRX turbos?
Or Mitsubishi?
All these are options so any info on any turbo will help.
Bazooka
Regular

April 2003

Re: 4A Turbo matching Fri, 12 December 2003 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hasn't anyone used any other type of turbo on their 4A?????
1bam777
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4A Turbo matching Fri, 12 December 2003 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It really depends on where you want the power.

A turbocharger off the Nissan RB20/25DET motors are good for power around the 2800-6000rpm range, giving a good torque spread across the mid-range.

If you want power above 4500-5000 rpm, a nicely sized T04 will be right in the ball park.

Cheers.
ChaserJZX100
Regular

July 2003
      wtf is a jabber handle
Re: 4A Turbo matching Fri, 12 December 2003 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Look for feralmr2 his name is somthing like that lol, he turbo'd his gze and it worked out good, look for him , im sure he'll answer all your questions, i'd go the t28 and hi flow it...

Nate
Bazooka
Regular

April 2003

Re: 4A Turbo matching Sat, 13 December 2003 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

If you want power above 4500-5000 rpm, a nicely sized T04 will be right in the ball park.

How do I identify a T04 turbo?

There are that many damn turbos out there I have no idea what I'm looking for.
Does anyone have any info on identifying factory turbos and their specifications?
Im interested to know if anyone has strapped an RB25 turbo to the side of a 4A? Would it be worth it or would this thing have way too much lag for street use?
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4A Turbo matching Sat, 13 December 2003 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak i have a t-25 from a ca18det, it's .49 a/r on the turbine and .48 a/r on the compressor. spools up at about 2800rpm, max boost by about 4000rpm. (i would like a gt-25).
the highest i ran it at was 12psi, they can go more but start to lose their efficieny. i think the t-25 or t-28 are a good turbo for the 4agze engine.
not what you wanna use if you want a huge hp drag monster, but a damn nice turbo for quick street etc. applications.
i still run my gte with the factory gze ECU and i/c as well (hopefully soon to change).

i have friends with t-28's that are performing great as well, and one that has a wrx turbo on his gte in a little ford anglia (that thing fookn flies)... Evil or Very Mad
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: 4A Turbo matching Sat, 13 December 2003 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Thu, 11 December 2003 20:21

I don't mean to sound rude when I say this, but neither of those turbos are very good, nor are they likely to produce a nice result on a 1.6l engine.

nah thats kewl constructive critism is fine Smile
the turbo in qestion came off my mates 2 litre 8v single cam piazza powered gemini
Sprinta
Regular

September 2002
Re: 4A Turbo matching Sat, 13 December 2003 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a r31 rb20 turbo on when i first got my car.. Very good for street, instant boost etc..
Took it off and put a rb25 turbs on and i get 1 bar @ 4000rpm and holds till redline..
I think a t28 would be a better option than a rb25 turbo.
pulcino
Regular

November 2002
Re: 4A Turbo matching Sun, 14 December 2003 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a VG30 t28 that is not only big but also plain bearing and got a ceramic exhaust wheel. Running 15psi on a gze it rocks. Cost me the princly sum of $250.Full boost with my auto box by 3500 all the way to 8000. Cant argue with that...
Ct20 b and Ct26 are large and boost will be hard pressed till 5000. To4 will cut in at about 4500 to 5000. Ct20 is too small(tried this one)S15 t28 sposed to be good. But Im gunna stick with the vg30 get a steel wheel put in and hello 20psi... Very Happy
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4A Turbo matching Sun, 14 December 2003 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was using an RB25 on mine, and response etc. was fine so long as you gave it plenty of timing off boost. 5th gear overtaking was always fine above about 80, you'd generally reach 160ish after you'd passed a couple of cars. Oh, and I'm happy to sell the turbo, dump pipe and manifold if anyone's keen Evil or Very Mad
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: 4A Turbo matching Sun, 14 December 2003 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have u wrecked ur engine yet mrshin aka maximum power outpot comment Smile
Bazooka
Regular

April 2003

Re: 4A Turbo matching Sun, 14 December 2003 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok now this is what im looking for.
Keep it coming guys.

Mr Shin, what are you running on it now if you dont have the RB25 turbo on it? How much do you want for the turbo and manifold?
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4A Turbo matching Mon, 15 December 2003 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What am I using now? Something much bigger from our good friends at HKS Evil or Very Mad
And no, I haven't wrecked my engine YET, simply because it hasn't actually been run with the motec/hks/etc. yet! Evil or Very Mad
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4A Turbo matching Mon, 15 December 2003 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

What am I using now? Something much bigger from our good friends at HKS

I'm jealous! You beat me to it Evil or Very Mad Razz

care to share any more specs on the turbo?

Cheers
Phil
Bazooka
Regular

April 2003

Re: 4A Turbo matching Tue, 16 December 2003 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah time to spill the beans, whats the specs?
And how much for the turbo and manifold?
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4A Turbo matching Tue, 16 December 2003 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hah! Won't be too long till everyone can see it going Evil or Very Mad Yeasch, can't go giving away ALL chickens if they're not yet hatched! For the RB25 turbo, dump pipe and manifold? I'm thinking about $500. Evil or Very Mad
Bazooka
Regular

April 2003

Re: 4A Turbo matching Tue, 16 December 2003 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehe ok I wont nag you about your new turbo. Laughing Laughing

After a lot more reading im not really much closer to choosing a turbo for my setup. Seem to have narrowed it down a bit though. Now im looking at either a BB T28, BB RB20 or VG30 turbo.
The T28 sounds the most popular but some have said it runs out of puff a little early, is this true?
The RB25 seems to be too big with too much lag (sorry mrshin, suppose you wont part with just the manifold?)
The RB20 seems to be alright with more punch at the top end with little lag but having ceramic wheels doesnt help.(is this correct)
Havent found a lot about the VG30 turbo but seems that it should hold to redline with again not a lot of lower RPM lag, maybe someone can help me out here. Does it have ceramic wheels too? Is it BB or not?
Critisism here is accepted as I know near to nothing about different turbos so everyone please feel free to add your own story Very Happy
This package will all be shoehorned into a little Suzuki Sierra purely for street use but still wanting something to impress the rice burers. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
It wont be doing the quarter mile in it, (a Sierra has the aerodynamics of a loaf of bread) I'm leaving that up to my mate who believe it or not IS making a Sierra drag car. Seeing that my current runabout Sierra which has a 100kw 4A-GE in it spends most of its life above 4000rpm simply because it is geared so low, a turbo that will still give a good punch above this is probably recommended.
I'm just trying to get it right the first time!
Surely someone can help me out.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4A Turbo matching Wed, 17 December 2003 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used an RB20 unit on mine, until too much excitement saw the ceramic wheel disappear out the pipe one evening, as expected Evil or Very Mad It was quick to spool, and would probably provide most with more than reasonable excitement for a sierra, but having said that, if it's geared like that, use it to your advantage and run something bigger! As for parting with just the manifold, yeah I might well be able to do that, except the manifold IS the worst part of it, it's not entirely a work of art - but for experimentation, it should fit the bill Evil or Very Mad
Bazooka
Regular

April 2003

Re: 4A Turbo matching Wed, 17 December 2003 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What sort of figures were you getting out of the RB20?
what rev range did boost occur?
what sort of power did you get out of it?
How much for the manifold? (must be cheap if its not really good Wink )
Any pics of it?

Also like answers to the same questions from anyone that has the VG30 turbo?
Does it handle much differently to the RB or T28???
Sprinta
Regular

September 2002
Re: 4A Turbo matching Thu, 18 December 2003 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can tell you right now the VG30 turbo is laggier than the RB25 turbo. For starters it is an older turbo, it has steel wheels and the housings are a tiny bit bigger.

I had mucho fun with my rb20 turbo and to be honest i shoulda just kept it or had it highflowed a bit. It was perfect for street.
T28's highflowed seem to be a good choice between power and streetability.
Apart from that we'd just be repeating what has already been said, so now you just have to pick one Smile

Power figures.. Hard to say as every setup is different in some way or another whether it be intercoolers, motor condition etc.

To start the ball rolling my old setup with a VR4 intercooler, rb25 turbo, haltech e6k ecu and 1 bar of boost had 166rwhp.. Not much Smile
Friends setup with the same turbo got 147rwhp from memory. Hes on this forum lurking around probably (Hi Chris Smile )

[Updated on: Thu, 18 December 2003 04:06]

NickAE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 4A Turbo matching Thu, 18 December 2003 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bit of a thread hi-jack perhaps but...

i'm getting a conversion done atm using a '93 levin motor, calsonic fmic, ihi rhb5 gtx familia turbo and am hoping to get around 160rwhp. Currently running standard gze comp but looking to throw a haltec in at some point. I'm aware the gze computer would be restrictive but do you think the figure of 160hp is reasonable or am i dreaming?

hmmm, i think i might be dreaming...something more along the lines of 140rwhp i'd say on second guess

[Updated on: Thu, 18 December 2003 07:43]

Bazooka
Regular

April 2003

Re: 4A Turbo matching Thu, 18 December 2003 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm, so the VG30 is worse than the RB25!
Bugger! cause thats the one I was starting to lean towards.
Becomes a problem when you keep getting different stories from everyone. Just dont know what to believe. If there was only 1 simple answer, dream on.
Still like to get more input from anyone who has turboed their 4A to help me decide.
Might just have to stick to the RB20???
NickAE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 4A Turbo matching Thu, 18 December 2003 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends what u want

do want an easy street car making boost pretty much the whole time but not insanley fast

or

a bit of lag but balls galore up the top of the rev range, sacrificing a little of the daily drivability to have a straight line monster

Bazooka
Regular

April 2003

Re: 4A Turbo matching Thu, 18 December 2003 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As I have already posted I am only after a streeter, nothing that is going to be posting blistering quarter mile times. I dont want too much down low lag for streetability.
But at the same time I dont want it to puff out at higher RPM.
Is there an easy comprimise or am i stuck with one or the other?????
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4A Turbo matching Thu, 18 December 2003 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello all, here are the facts on my 4AGTE, this may help with some peoples decision making, I find it a great street setup.

* 4AGTE with a Garrett T28 (highflowed) 0.48 A/R exhaust housing.
* makes full boost of 18psi by 2750rpm (so its obviously starting to make boost much lower than that)
* It holds full boost right to the 8400rpm limiter, and just screams around to redline.
* It made 168.9 rear wheel kilowatts at the last Toymods dyno day (see the results on this site)
* It recently ran a 12.9 second 1/4 at 103mph (with a 1.7 second 60 foot) at Eastern Creek. This was in full street trim, street tyres, full tank of optimax etc. Nothing at all removed or changed on the car from how I drive it all the time (it also made the drive from Canberra to Sydney, raced then drove home to Canberra with no probs at all and quite good fuel economy too).

I hope this helps with someones decisions as these are facts on how the setup performs. A bigger turbo will make more top end, but around the streets this thing is has full boost available at any rpm I normally drive at, so you can blast down the road with a quick push of the throttle.

Cheers,
Shane.

[Updated on: Thu, 18 December 2003 22:25]

pulcino
Regular

November 2002
Re: 4A Turbo matching Fri, 19 December 2003 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My t28 is vg3o they are ceramic wheel plain bearing. I have duel stage set @ 7 psi and 15psi very streetable until you make it sing. I have more of a problem with engine mounts breaking. Evil or Very Mad I run a standard auto (no tall stall converter) so my launches suck but my mile per hour is 20 to 30 mph faster than the car I beat.It mows them down 3/4 track.If I can ever kill the ceramic wheel I am gunna keep the turbo just replace the ceramic wheel with a steel one then 20 psi. Mad
Bazooka
Regular

April 2003

Re: 4A Turbo matching Sat, 20 December 2003 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane, Thanks for the top info. This is exactly the sort of information I am looking for from everyone.
Seems to be a nice setup with plenty of power at both ends of the rev range. Is your turbo aftermarket or factory? What else have you done to the engine?

Pulcino, Would like a bit more in depth info like what shane posted if you dont mind. What sort or power is it making? When does the boost cut in and out? What 1/4 mile times were you getting? etc etc.

So what is the difference between these 2 T28's?

How much would one be looking at to get a T28 highflowed?

TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4A Turbo matching Sat, 20 December 2003 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

So what is the difference between these 2 T28's?

one is a T28, the other is a T3, that's the difference Razz

The VG30 (like the RB20&25) are a turbo that's a bit hard to categorise, as its sort of a Garrett, but with design input from Nissan. They use all use a T3 flange, and a T3 sized core, but for some reason get badged as a T28 quite often.

As a comparison to Shanes setup, mine uses a similar recipe, except for the following:

*Later 8.9:1 compression 4AGZE motor, bigport head & 4AGE (86kw) camshafts.
* Standard T28 plain bearing turbo from an S14 200SX (SR20 engine) 0.64 A/R exhaust housing
*Makes 5psi boost at 2500rpm, but full boost (18psi) at closer to 3500rpm.
*Made 158kw on the same day as Shane's Mad (toymods dyno day)
*Ran 13.3 @108mph with a shitty 2.36 60 foot at eastern creek, but busted an axle on the next pass Crying or Very Sad

Its definately noticeably laggier than Shanes 4AGTE (we've swapped cars for a comparison), but isnt really a problem to keep on boost on the street, especially compared to my previous high-flowed CT26 setup.

I'll be ready for a rematch when the new Western Sydney Dragstrip opens next month Very Happy

Cheers
Phil
pulcino
Regular

November 2002
Re: 4A Turbo matching Sat, 20 December 2003 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How do you guys get such big kw. I run about the same hardware and I dont get that. Im chasin 150 rwkw. I have 8.1 big port vg30 t28 15psi. What timing do you guys run?My fuel map is a little on the conservative side but not much.I have programmable computer and gze ic.HELP me to get the best out of mine...Has to be in the tuning somewhere.
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 4A Turbo matching Sat, 20 December 2003 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Intercooler flow/efficiency, intake restriction, intake temperatures, ambient temperatures, fuel selection, exhaust choice & quality, runner size, manifold design & quality, etc, etc, etc all make a difference.

It's not necessarily just in your tune...
Bazooka
Regular

April 2003

Re: 4A Turbo matching Sat, 20 December 2003 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK now we are finally starting to get somewhere. Thanks heaps for all the info. Sorry if it seems I have been nagging a bit on the topic but now it is finally paying off.

Phil, thanks for your input, now makes a good comparison to shanes. Do you know what else shane has done to his engine??

From this it seems highflowing a standard T28 turbo nets a nice gain. Would it now be safe to say that I should get what I want from a BB T28 200SX (S15) turbo and highflowing it to suit? Run it on 18psi or there abouts and be prepared to break lots of axles and diffs? Very Happy Very Happy
Or am I way off here again??

What is the advantage of using the 86kw cams or is it better to use the entire head being a bigport?
OR, would it be even better to bolt down a 20V head as I have heard they flow really well??
Probably starting to get a bit off topic here now.
Does all this make any difference to what sort of turbo should be mated to this kind of engine?

Anyone else like to share their 4AGTE stats??
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4A Turbo matching Sun, 21 December 2003 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pulcino: GZE's love timing, I'm running 21 degrees advance at 18psi, but take no responsibility if you do the same to yours and it detonates its head off! Cool I run a very large front mount intercooler, and always optimax, if you only have a small cooler & therefore hotter intake temps, then you may not get away with that much timing. My exhaust is also 3" mandrel bent with one straight through muffler & resonator, so no restrictions there.

Bazooka: I wouldnt highflow the S15 T28 unless you want more than 170-180kw at the wheels, they are an excellent turbo straight out of the box (as good as identical to the aftermarket garrett GT28). I actually do use the whole bigport head, reason being that I had the RWD intake manifold to suit also. Its cams have slightly longer duration and higher lift. Havn't done any back to back testing against the GZE cams though.

ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4A Turbo matching Sun, 21 December 2003 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bazooka asked: "Is your turbo aftermarket or factory? What else have you done to the engine?"

A: my T28 is from a skyline GTR, and has been rebuilt/high-flowed. The engine is a standard 4AGZE, internally its untouched, its just all the bolt on stuff that has been changed and the addition of a Microtech MTX-8 computer (as I have mentioned before, It had the stock computer running with the turbo for nearly two years and was making 156rwkw in that form)

Bazooka asked: Would it now be safe to say that I should get what I want from a BB T28 200SX (S15) turbo and highflowing it to suit?

A: Like Phil said, you should be able to get what you want from the BB T28 without needing the high-flow, just find a turbo in good nick and you will be right to go.

Shane.
Bazooka
Regular

April 2003

Re: 4A Turbo matching Mon, 22 December 2003 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So a standard BB T28 will do everytihng I want it to do!
Who said these puff out at higher RPM then?????
WOW im really getting confused Eye Spin
Shane, did you ever run your engine with the stock turbo or was it highflowed before you did any running? Interested to know how much different it was.
I know a BB T28 is going to be really hard to find seeing their so popular and will be pretty expensive.
I do however know exactly where there is a RB25 turbo in good condition. I am curious to know how shanes highflowing helped there seeing others have said it is too lagy for street use, while shane has posted very good boost figures with his setup.
Its hard to know what to believe??

Keep the info flowing guys Very Happy Very Happy

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4A Turbo matching Mon, 22 December 2003 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can certainly confirm that GZEs LOVE the advance - go silly with it, just make sure you listen carefully for nasty noises, set up a reasonable amount of retard as air temp rises, etc. Also, even with stock cams/small (rb25) turbo, mine seemed to like to use more revs than I figured - it didn't seem to taper off quite as I expected Evil or Very Mad
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4A Turbo matching Mon, 22 December 2003 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak i dont notice any drop off at high revs out of my little t-25 either.. Smile
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4A Turbo matching Mon, 22 December 2003 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine used to keep a flat dyno graph past 8200rpm. Another tip - the standard GZE cams (same as smallport) are terrible for turbos! Use the older NA bigport cams, whatever head you've got Razz
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4A Turbo matching Mon, 22 December 2003 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I am curious to know how shanes highflowing helped there seeing others have said it is too lagy for street use, while shane has posted very good boost figures with his setup.
Its hard to know what to believe??

I think you are missing the point that Shanes turbo originates from a twin turbo 6 cylinder GTR, and so was a very different kettle of fish (or turbines Smile ) to begin with. The RB26 GTR turbo is Ceramic, vs the SR20 T28 being steel (or GMR alloy if you want to get technical), and it also has a smaller exhaust side, and a smaller compressor housing. Shane's hiflow probably puts the GTR turbo on par with an S14/15 turbo (~320hp flow capability), but chip in here Shane if i'm wrong.....

The RB25/VG30 turbos are completely different again.

There is no easy answer, at the end of the day, what works for someone elses setup may not be the perfect match for you Confused

Cheers
Phil
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4A Turbo matching Mon, 22 December 2003 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello again,

Bazooka asked: "Shane, did you ever run your engine with the stock turbo or was it highflowed before you did any running? Interested to know how much different it was."

The turbo was run on the car in stock form (with the ZE standard computer). It spooled up a bee's dick quicker than it did after the high flow (barely noticeable though). After the highflow the turbo was rated at 320hp, so pretty much on par with a BB T28 with the 0.64A/R housing I believe. The big difference with the highflow is the change to steel wheels etc that allow it to be run up to 25psi (not that it sees quite this high Laughing ) and the higher flow capacity allowing it to make more top end. The old ceramic wheels limit boost to around 15psi I think (correct me if I am wrong???)

Bazooka said: "Who said these puff out at higher RPM then????? (referring to the T28)"

A lot of people have responded to your post offering their first hand experience eg Phil, mrshin etc. Given that the 4AGTE set up is open to a lot of differences given that its a custom setup you will always get differences between peoples cars. However, you will also notice that on these forums a lot of people love to offer information based on rumour and hearsay eg "....my mate dangerous Dave has a mate who new someone that had a commondore that raced a guy who knew someone etc etc......" take all the information on these forums on board, read between the lines, and make up your own mind. That said its probably safe to estimate that the T28 will run out of puff on a 4AG at probably 175 to 180kw @ wheels or so (depending on the rest of the set up,and many many other variables).

Mrshin said: "Another tip - the standard GZE cams (same as smallport) are terrible for turbos! Use the older NA bigport cams, whatever head you've got"

Very interesting, I am keen to try some out if my terrible ZE cams can keep me happy now, then something better can only be more fun Very Happy

Pop along to the next dyno day and I will more than happy to take you for a spin Bazooka. Then you can see for yourself how it goes, but you will probably have made up your mind and got your turbo by then.

As feral4mr2 said, I have the same experience, I don't get any drop in boost running at 18psi all the way through to the rpm limiter, in fact it creeps up a 1 to 1.5 psi due to the wastegate being a tad on the small side Razz .

Cheers.

[Updated on: Mon, 22 December 2003 23:16]

onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: 4A Turbo matching Tue, 23 December 2003 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've seen a T51RSPE on a 4AGE in a Jap magazine.
it used a 4-into-1 28mmØ exhaust manifold, which collected into a 75mmØ pipe and straight into a 75mm-to-50mm reducer and then onto the turbo.

i think i read that boost came on a 7000rpm and the engine redlined at 8500...

you'd want a REAL close ratio gearbox for that one....
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: 4A Turbo matching Tue, 23 December 2003 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in the new year i will be bolting a 99wrx turbo on to a 4age, from what i have seen they are a pretty good match,

ill let you guys know how it goes after it is all on there and dynoed

Dale
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: 4A Turbo matching Tue, 23 December 2003 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
been watching this thread with interest. mid next year i'll be bolting an rb20det bb turbo (which will have been hiflowed) to a 4AGZE 8.9:1 comp block/small port head - straight LPG (aka mrshin)

unfortunately my turbo does not have any sort of AR numbers on it, i used the guide from the tech docs as a start, i figure a hi-flow should work just fine...

dale the wrx turbos are said to be ideal for the 4AGE's be interested as to how you go
NVD05X
Regular

June 2003
Re: 4A Turbo matching Tue, 23 December 2003 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but if you were changing from gze cams to bigport cams wouldnt you have to use an aftermarket computer?
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4A Turbo matching Tue, 23 December 2003 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NVD05X wrote on Tue, 23 December 2003 18:56

but if you were changing from gze cams to bigport cams wouldnt you have to use an aftermarket computer?

people put the early 4age (3 rib blue top) cams in gze's and gte's all over the globe, they dont change their engine management. (well some are lucky to just have after market already). grrr
i have a set here on my work bench for my 4agte, i'm just too lazy to put them in.. Laughing
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: 4A Turbo matching Tue, 23 December 2003 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
grega,

im hoping it will work well, it is going onto a clubman so hopefully there wont be too much lag!

Dale
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: 4A Turbo matching Tue, 23 December 2003 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeezus dale in 600kg or so of clubman that will be insanely quick.
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: 4A Turbo matching Tue, 23 December 2003 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats the plan,

he wants sub 1:05's at wakefield, he can drive so that is a bit of a help

the dam thing is pretty quick now!
mlaser
Regular

March 2003
Re: 4A Turbo matching Sat, 27 December 2003 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'll be putting a blitz kkk k26 on my 4agze soon, got a haltech and bigger injectors plus intercooler and fuel pump. Once it's all up and running ill let you know the hp.
Cameron_Datto
Occasional Poster

December 2003
Re: 4A Turbo matching Sat, 27 December 2003 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There has been a few Comments made about the Running a lot of ignition advance , Just be AWARE Shocked you may not be getting the correct timing reading if you have a ,,Coil pack GZE and using a Timing Light with adjustable advance feature in the timing light ,, The engine is actually running less Ignition than the timing light is saying ,If the Advance Adjustment on the timing light is used to check the engine timing ... So how can this be so ? This Due to 1 coil pack firing to cylinders .. So the Timing light reads the RPM of engine as twice as fast as what the engine is going. Eg engine At 1500 RPM ,,Timing light RPM 3000RPM.......When you use the ADVANCE adjustment in the Timing to check the Engine Timing the reading will be wrong,, due to the timing light calculating the Flash of the light on 3000rpm not the true 1500rpm .. so this is why the ignition timing light readings show lots advance but the engine ignition timing is not really that high ... Rolling Eyes Some Timing lights have a "2 stroke "setting if you use this setting you will get the correct timing of the engine .. Other wise don`t use the "advance timing Adjustment" of the timing light to check the ignition timing as it will not read correctly .. Hope that makes sense Razz note This only applies to GZEs with coil packs and a Timing light with TIMING ADVANCE Adjustment's..

[Updated on: Sun, 28 December 2003 00:07]

Cameron_Datto
Occasional Poster

December 2003
Re: 4A Turbo matching Sun, 28 December 2003 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This web pages has a bit of info about the factory Nissan turbos http://www.pandablue.com/nissansilvia/forums/forum _posts.asp?TID=833&PN=2

http://www.pandablue.com/nissansilvia/forums/artic le_posts.asp?TID=795&PN=1

[Updated on: Sun, 28 December 2003 00:52]

TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4A Turbo matching Sun, 28 December 2003 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cameron_Datto: good point on the waste spark/timing errors with an adjustable advance timing light.

Mine 4AGTE is definately running the 21 degrees at 18psi that I quoted, as this is read with a normal timing light, and matches with the mapping for the Haltech ECU Smile

MLaser: Is the K26 the one that is often fitted to 3SGTE & other 2 litre engines?

Cheers

Phil
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4A Turbo matching Sun, 28 December 2003 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, dialback timing lights can be a problem at times. Use a 'conventional' type timing light, check your timing at both idle and, say, 6500rpm, and if it matches what the laptop says, you shouldn't have to look at it again Evil or Very Mad
TraeKe86
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: 4A Turbo matching Tue, 30 December 2003 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Sprinta, I believe I have your old engine.. (alem?)

I`ll let you all know how a ct26 (7m supra turbo, steel, not ceramic exhaust wheel) goes on a 4agte, I'm not sure what boost I will be running, as Im not sure when the injectors will pass their duty cycle, but if vl turbo ones will work impedance wise *shrug* who knows, goal is 300rwhp, see how long your motor lasts for Smile hehe (8.0:1 mr2 block will help this alot)

cheers

-bc

Ps: Bazooka, I say go the t25, but hey, it's up to you, all i wanna do is good fast Very Happy ..and maybe get sideways a bit.

Sprinta
Regular

September 2002
Re: 4A Turbo matching Tue, 30 December 2003 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah hey dude Smile
Yeah im pretty sure you will need injectors to run lots of boost but im sure others on here can englighten us as im interested too.. I was actually running 1 bar on that motor using the stock ecu but it ran really rich dude.. The rear of your car will be constantly black (either from tyre chunks or fuel Smile ) so thats why i changed to an aftermarket ecu but yeh. It WILL run it Smile

TraeKe86
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: 4A Turbo matching Tue, 30 December 2003 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heh, well, my car is black anyways, free paint job!! haha

Very Happy

I dont plan on keeping the stock ecu for too long, i wanted to go after market from the start, but just incase i needed the money for something else i held off, glad I did, cause now im passed the a/m ecu fund, and half way thru decent suspension fund hah, oh well, im sure it'll all be worth it

(sorry to steal your thread bazooka heh)

-bc
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4A Turbo matching Wed, 31 December 2003 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Quote:

but if vl turbo ones will work impedance wise *shrug* who knows, goal is 300rwhp, see how long your motor lasts for

Do you mean VL turbo injectors? They dont fit the fuel rail, they are hose tail not O-ring type Confused

Are you changing turbos from the CT26 for your 300hp at the wheels?
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Are AE92 Seca & Levin coupe parts interchangeable?
Next Topic:JAP OCTANE FUEL
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 20:55:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0095341205596924 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.