Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
WANTED: R31 Skyline Differential Sat, 13 December 2003 01:28 Go to next message
Hello all,

Rex is looking for a complete R31 Skyline differential.

If you have one or know of one available, please dont hesitate to contact me.

two_fat_ladies@hotmail.com or 0404 027 105

Would prefer SA, however freight is no hasstle.

Thanks Muchly,

Rex

Send a private message to this user    
RA65 Sleeka
Regular

June 2003
Re: WANTED: R31 Skyline Differential Sat, 13 December 2003 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my friend has one for sale its from a manual its lsd it has done about 120K on it its hear in the south of adelaide and he wants about $450..
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: WANTED: R31 Skyline Differential Sun, 14 December 2003 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sexy Rexy!

Talk to me before you buy anything, if you want the low down on these units!

Clint
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: WANTED: R31 Skyline Differential Sun, 14 December 2003 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got your PM Rex, thought I'd post here so everyone can read it!

Th R31 Skyline diff is a factory 28 spline disc brake diff that utilises alloy callipers, with a 7.5" crownwheel. The PCD is the same as many Toyota PCD's in being 4X114.3mm. The wheel studs are different however being M12x1.25, as opposed to the Toyota's M12x1.5 - this problem can be overcome by installing new wheel studs the correct pitch, or using the suitable wheel nuts to the pitch. The centre hub is also larger than a factory Toyota unit, so if you have dedicated Toyota wheels, you'll need to machine out the central hub receiver to suit the BW diff.

LSD's and ratios can still be bought brand new for the 7.5" diff, they can't for the earlier 7.75" diff (these diffs also run 25 spline axles, so make sure you are getting 28 spline axles). The LSD itself is a cone and race style unit, that by it's very nature - wears away the hard surface the cones grab to limit slip - ie, be careful buying second hand LSD units, many of them are stuffed through active use. You can check the effectiveness of used LSD's by measuring the force needed to turn a wheel while the other one is held still - check with Motive Gear (??? - Borg Warner's new name) for the exact force needed. An LSD unit is around $400+ brand new, and you can also buy Torsen LSD's to suit the diff - a much better option, as the BW LSD will revert back to a single spinner once hot, or on a very tight radius.

With the diff running an offset centre, several people I've spoken to about converting to early model Celicas, have stated that by using the original short axle, in the new "long side", you can get away with only having to modify (shorten) one axle during the conversion. I've not tried this as I usually have a set figure I work to, when converting diffs, but it may be accurate in length for you, with a Sprinter being wider in the diff than the RA28 I fabricated one for. The axles can also be cold splined, saving the need for any heat treatment after shortening, but it will stuff the splining tool - sometimes it's cheaper to buy a new tool than heat treat an axle(which is usually done on weight of the object).

New ratios are available, they are around $400 a set, or you can pull 4.1 ratios from Pintarras, 3.7 and 3.9's from Skyline, higher ratios from late model Falcons and Commodores, and lower model ratios from some commercial vehicles running the same diff.

Conversion costs to remove the old mounting points, shorten and install suitable mounting points will be around $800, plus LSD cost if you have to buy one, plus replacement bearings if you need them, plus any brake reconditioning costs also if needed.

if you have any more questions, ask away?!

Clint!
SLY16V
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: WANTED: R31 Skyline Differential Sat, 20 December 2003 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
would this be a good diff for an ae86? heard of another using this diff in an ae86 with a gze....i spose they would be strong as there out of skylines Rolling Eyes ...
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: WANTED: R31 Skyline Differential Sun, 21 December 2003 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
While some degree of overkill would be instilled into using one in an AE86, this would also ensure trouble free driving regardless of driving style! Their advantages are; readily abundant, cheap factory LSD available brand new and it's also a four pinion design, and cheap conversion costs. Their disadvantages are; heavy for their size (comes hand in hand with a bigger diff though, and intergral not removable centre design (only a disadvantage if you seek a removable centre).
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: WANTED: R31 Skyline Differential Thu, 25 December 2003 10:54 Go to previous message
Few other points to ponder:

I use one in my AE86, but with a KAAZ LSD centre. Pricey, but pretty effective.

The standard cone type LSD sucks, plain and simple. If you treat them gentlish, they'll last a while, but they're not exactly progressive or nice in operation. Treat them hard, they'll fall over and die straight away. Also, don't be tempted to use the 'hydratrak' (from falcon utes and HSVs) LSD either, they're not too strong either... However, the basic gearset/axles in these diffs are pretty tough (that is, NEVER use the 25 spline/2 pinion one!).

Avoid the 3.889 (auto skyline) gears, these are notorious for being noisy.

The Skyline brakes aren't exactly terrific, I recently ditched mine for an EB falcon setup instead, although I haven't tried this on the road yet (be a few weeks till my engines going again). Also, the Skyline handbrake SUCKS!

That all said, I've got a manual (3.7) rear end and an LSD lying around Evil or Very Mad

Also, if you got any questions or anything, PM me
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Cheap AE86 struts
Next Topic:7mge (supra/yellow) injectors... SYD - URGENT
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 06:06:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047829151153564 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.