Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Sat, 13 December 2003 14:03 Go to next message
Cut springs donut count, too ordinary.

I have seen cars patched up with chicken wire, cardboard and chassis protection mass(thick bitumen stuff) in lack of welding machine.

Friend of mine once fixed leaking fuel line with short piece of bicycles inner tube and couple clamps. Worked few weeks until he had a chance to fix it correctly.

I have also seen sheer madness with rusty rear trailing arms. A stupid f***er I know well, didn't pass road worthy test due to rusty rear trailing arms. Engineer said to him to get new trailing arms. This bloke didn't find new trailing arms for suitable price so he decided that he will repair the old ones. He cuted old arms open and filled them with "Das Massa". Das Massa is some sort if man made pottery clay, sold here. But anyway, he filled and baked those. After that he put few layers of fibre glass and paint. He did pass the test with hes "new" rear trailing arms. Any sort of modifying or repairing of chassis parts is strictly forbidden here. Yet to this kinda.

Back in the days when I had my CE-70 corolla, I had really slack shock absorbers. Me and my friend decided to little squeeze those shocks in bench vice. Worked nice in a PADDOCK TRASHER. Thats the most dodgiest repair that I have made.

My second dodgiest fix up is when I had broken alternator bar and I had to wedge my alternator with tennis ball. Tennis ball was there couple of months Laughing .

I cant remember more for now.
  Send a private message to this user    
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Sat, 13 December 2003 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i saw at bunbury in perth one celica a guy was try to sell..

would say 60% of the cars was puddy Razz
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Sat, 13 December 2003 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you want to see dodgy repairs, just looks at jap drifters Smile

cables ties and duct tape hold most things in place, air filters replaced with coarse wire mesh... it's a neverending list really
JDM hachi
Regular

February 2003
Re: Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Sat, 13 December 2003 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have the dodgiest of mates.....
1) a friend went to the effort of making and bending the orange plastic from a highways light into a shape that would fit his rear indicator took him half a day saved him $10,(cheap ass uni student).
2) another used a tent peg for the external linkages on his gearbox on a torana he owned
3)rust repairs with sellys spac-filla (same bloke as the indicator lens)
4)yeah seen the chicken wire and fibre glass many times
5)home made braided lines on a jap import (consisted of lots of cable ties running down the line.)
6)another mate went on family trip, but the hz kingswood they had blew a head gasket, only replacement they could get was a used one!!!!, the bastard sold it to them also, bloody rural queenslanders!!!!!!!
will no doubt think of many, many more.....
matty.
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Sat, 13 December 2003 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A Range Rover with not one but both chassis rails filled with bog. Not filled behind with wire, paper etc but totally solid. Lasted till the first off road trip and bricks started falling out.

Windscreen cracks ground out with an angle grinder and filled with polyester fibreglass resin.

shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Sat, 13 December 2003 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zip ties on brake lines? thats the best idea i have ever heard Laughing not joking toooo much here, but i suppose there would be a downside.

its not too dodgy, but once i helped change a gearbox in my cousin's ute, in the abscence of a hoist, he lifted it onto 4 44 gallon drums with his forklift, worked quite well.

IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Sun, 14 December 2003 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heres one i saw in the last two days, a professional suspension job where they had obviously made an error and bought two right hand suspension struts, so now they brake line bracket was in the wrong position for the left hand lines, solution.... cut the bracket off and Araldite (or some other form of cement) it back onto the strut in the right place and cable tie the cable to it. obviously the cement would never be up to task and it was left hanging in mid air after a bit of vibration
CRAB-86
Regular

September 2003
Re: Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Sun, 14 December 2003 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Was with a friend cruising last saturday night, driving along normally and sudenly all the power went from the car. pulled over and eventually figured out that the fuel pump wasnt getting any power. The obvious solution, he had an amplifier wire running from his engine bag to his boot. Hooked one end up to the battery, pulled other end out of boot and hooked up to power of Fuel pump under rear seats. And it worked... His fuel pump was permanantly 'on' unless u unhooked it... Just kept on cruising.
wastegate
Regular

May 2002

Re: Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Sun, 14 December 2003 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Went to lunch with a couple of mates in the Supra while I was visiting them in Sydney.

Came back to the car and drove off, steering got very heavy and growning. Pulled over to find power sterring fuild tailing behind the car for 200m.

Found the line that busted and a quick walk up to the servo to get some tape (silver race tape stuff) and rapped and raped that hose till we were out of words to ryme.

It got us back to my mates place atleast were we put on a new line.

Dodgest I have ever done.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Sun, 14 December 2003 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sanding back a panel on the XX. Started finding bog, thought thats okay, someone has used it for finishing...kept sanding only to find in some spots it was an inch thick.

They'd applied bog to nearly a whole panel to fill a dent that me with my totally newbie panel beating skills was able to remove! Dodgy.

Lets not get started on the steering wheel "boss kit" which was made from a cut down steering wheel and a hunk of aluminium with dodgy holes drilled in it No No No
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Sun, 14 December 2003 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When my parents were in an accident...the other car hit the rear passenger door & all the glass was smashed. We took it to this place in Syd. on bronte road to fix it up coz it was "NRMA APPROVED". the 1st time them fixed it the window fell out of the rubber slot things. the 2nd time the window wouldnt go down(power windows). the 3rd time they made a HUGEscratch on the door...so we had to take it back a 4th time and get the door resprayed Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

THE WORST PLACE EVER
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Sun, 14 December 2003 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dunno i just used a few cable ties to dodgey up an sr20 powered ta22 fuel system to get a guy home... *guilty look*
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Sun, 14 December 2003 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
allan dont forget the 'no more gaps' Very Happy
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Sun, 14 December 2003 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Friend of mine has wanted a Datsun 180b sss (really rare here)for years and he finally got one from one punk. Only downside to mention is that this car had been in possession of every gangster around. As you can guess this car had some serious ghetto style fixings. Like electrics, longest piece of one kind electric wire was like one metre. Otherwise it was one electric wire and tape hell.
Im not even going say to what we found under paint and centimetres filler layer.
That Datsun has had +300hp turbo engine in it and it didnt have then any sort off brakes. Intercooler pipe holes was cut with shears. Also firewall was cut open to dissipate some heat. I could say that it was one thoroughly raped Datsun. Now it's healing in my friends tending hands.
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Mon, 15 December 2003 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was at an airconditioning place last week and some guy came in complaining that his aircon didn't work... I overheard the mechanic explain that his system had been illegally regassed with BUTANE because someone was to cheap to convert it to the new type of gas that's used these days.

When the guy said he just wanted it gassed up again the mechanic said he wouldn't do it and pointed to the pics on the wall of him releasing the gas in other dodgy cars. In the pics he was holding a hose connected to the aircon reservior and a 1/2 metre flame was coming out the other end!!! Shocked

The retarded customer was informed that it would cost $250 to convert and regas his system to Australian Standards... He walked away complaining it was too much!! No No No
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Mon, 15 December 2003 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some fella had his car at a workshop getting a larger top mount intercooler fitted to his Liberty GT turbo. The intercooler was a little large and it was hitting something in there so the mechanic (later found out was a qualified plumber) decided to grind one corner of the intercooler off! It rattled very loudly and the customer complained. Don't know what happened though.

Look out for this fella! In SE Qld. I forget his last name, but we just call him Dodgy Mark! Fat dude, looks funny Smile
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Mon, 15 December 2003 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I busted my alternator fuse, so just used the metal and a pair of pliars to curl it back around so the metal touched. Embarassed
Astroboy007
Regular

October 2003
Re: Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Mon, 15 December 2003 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the most dodgiest fixing i have ever seen...

would have to be ray martins hairpiece Laughing
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Mon, 15 December 2003 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Astroboy007 wrote on Mon, 15 December 2003 16:14

the most dodgiest fixing i have ever seen...

would have to be ray martins hairpiece Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
shindeokure
Regular

September 2003
Re: Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Mon, 15 December 2003 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we did a respray on a friend's 180sx. we found a dodgey repair on the tailgate using a coke can.

[Updated on: Mon, 15 December 2003 12:50]

Malicia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Mon, 15 December 2003 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My bros commonwhore I challenge anyone to find a wire not cut up and fixed with tape.
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Tue, 16 December 2003 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Working on aircraft i have seen garden hose used as fuel hose in the engine bay.
Saw a guy in Bankstown want to do his own spray job on a cesssna 182 decided he would sandblast the plane problem being when you sandplast alclad (aircraft sheet metal) it stretches. He did the whole plane stood back and admired his handy work and realised that the panels were all buckled like it had warts.
scratch one perfectly good plane
mrsoopra
Regular

July 2002
Re: Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Wed, 17 December 2003 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was driving my sprinter to a friends place one day.. Took off from a set of lights full noise and broke the bolt that locks the top of the alternator to the bracket. so there was no tension on it (which means no water pump either).. Had just cleaned all the junk out of the car, and was in the middle of nowhere.. Managed to find in the boot under the spare tire, about 5cm of pink ribbon and 2 paper clips.. This was enough to tie to the alternator and attach it to the body of the car.. Got to my friends place no worries Razz

Gaz
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Wed, 17 December 2003 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shindeokure wrote on Mon, 15 December 2003 23:46

we did a respray on a friend's 180sx. we found a dodgey repair on the tailgate using a coke can.

thats factory!
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Wed, 17 December 2003 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I was driving my sprinter to a friends place one day.. Took off from a set of lights full noise and broke the bolt that locks the top of the alternator to the bracket. so there was no tension on it (which means no water pump either).. Had just cleaned all the junk out of the car, and was in the middle of nowhere.. Managed to find in the boot under the spare tire, about 5cm of pink ribbon and 2 paper clips.. This was enough to tie to the alternator and attach it to the body of the car.. Got to my friends place no worries

This is what happened to me. I used Tennis ball like I already described.

Here are some really dodgy patents. Keep storys coming.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Thu, 18 December 2003 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just this mourning my gf rings me up at 6am and tells me her TA22 wont go, has no acc pedal and shes stuck at a roundabout. get to her car and ofcourse the throttle cable had snapped. lucky for me however i have just removed her immobiliser yesterday afternoon and it was sitting in her car still, so i tied a wire to the throttle but it only JUST made it out to the windshield so i had to drive it back to my place leaning half out the window to use the wire as a throttle, quite intersting. on the plus side i got a new cable for free from the wreckers, on the downside after letting my gf drive my car all day she insists i must replace her 4AGE with a 4AGZE. DAMNIT Mad
Techie
Occasional Poster

February 2004

Re: Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Wed, 25 February 2004 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Man I've enjoyed some of these. Although i must say i have been quite dodgy when it comes to my Corona!

1. Muffler Fell off, after few months cops said my tail pipe wasn't long enough, fixed the prob by using some tail pipe, old steal tennis ball container, hose clamps and wire. Dad said it would last 2 weeks, 6 months later when i finally got the money to replace it, it was still good!!! Razz

2. Oil leak after replacing head, had to buy a head as old one had massive corrosion holes. New head didn't quite match over head cam, bolted up fine, but a gap 1.5" long and 1/2" wide under the fuel pump was letting a lot oil out. Used to pull up at an intersection with James Bond style smoke screen. Fixed by using card board and loads of auto silicon. Have got a cam that doesn't have the gap to put on it, but is still in the spare car.

3. Removed boot springs to fit larger speakers in parcel shelf.

4. Duck tape on door skin to pass road worthy.

My Celia's paint job is 2 years old and stuffed. Its faded and has clear peeling off it left right and centre. also crow footed on the roof. The guy who owned it before me said the place he bought it from had to respray it before he could pick it up. Obviously they weren't real good sprayers.

Wanted tunes in my mates bomb of an XF panel van once, we needed an external amp as the CD players amp didn't work. So we ran power cable out through the window into the engine bay.

This is not a tradition I plan to keep up though, now that I work full time, and want to drive a really nice reliable Celia. Although all the dodgy repairs that i have completed have lasted till i could afford or could be bothered replacing them, so i think i did all right Razz There are plenty more, can't remember them all right now though. The ones here occurred when i was sober, the rest probably weren't....
MR MA70
Regular

May 2002
Re: Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Thu, 26 February 2004 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not really a fixing but more of a temp repair. We were in Mt Gambier SA for an event (We live in Sydney), and left for the drive home at about 7am on Easter monday. One hour after leaving, sitting on 110 i got that sick feeling when all of a sudden, even though my foot haddent moved, the accelleration dramatically decreased.
As it turns out, the mechanical fuel pump had craped itself 14 hours away from home on one of the only days of the year that you can not buy any form of replacement....
To get home the passenger had to hold a 20l drum of fuel on their knees with garden hose (that we acquired from the front lawn of a local)running our the passenger window through the gap in between the guard and slightly popped bonnet up to the carby, syphon (spelling???) feeding the fuel.....
Had to wire the bonnet with my 6*9 speaker wiring so it couldnt fly up and if we drove over 80kph the motor would starve of fuel.

Needless to say it was a danm long trip home!
Techie
Occasional Poster

February 2004

Re: Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Fri, 27 February 2004 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I saw what I believe to be yet another dodgy repair to a vehicle I own..... I took the radiator to get repaired. Nearly every bar had some kind of blockage, and wasn't allowing much water flow (if any at all in the end). Once it was cleaned out, it revealed that there were many, many holes in it. I think the word siv comes to mind. Shocked
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Fri, 27 February 2004 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When my conversion was complete i had a MA61 aftermarket exhaust and my stock 2J exhaust with a big mofo cat.

So we cut the cat off just after the manifold and without any welding gear used a piece of flexible truck exhaust to fit over the top of both the remaining exahust manifold downpipe and to join the rest of the exhaust.

We then wrapped it up in 'exhaust tape' of some description. Needless to say it wasnt a leakproof system, but it did the job, but dammmmmn was it loud Smile A few people an vouch for that!

Drove it to the exhaust shop the next day Smile
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Fri, 27 February 2004 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR MA70

THATS CLASSIC! Cool
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Fri, 27 February 2004 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got defected once on my tx3 bubble shape it had them round bullet lights i got defected for a wheel nut that had snapped off and a front light that wasnt working... with them tx3s you cant just change the globe you have to change the whole thing so i cut away at the plastic removed the globe and sticky taped a new one on and held it with tie snaps and the wheel nut issue i just ripped one off my friends car stuck sum chewing gum on it and threw it into the whole where the stud was missing so it looked like there was one there.

Biggest dodgy work i have seen was on my brothers r32 he had been in a big accident that needed the car to be cut in half and halve an ass cut welded back in place (we had no insurance on it and his mate drove it into a riced up micra and a fence) anyway the work was carried out in my backyard the end result was pretty well but 2mnths down the track the welds had started to rust up again the fuel lines were all stuffed up no gauges were working and the diff sat out of line and it crabed more then another car could. We ended up swapping it for a 1994 soarer and the new owner of the skyline sold it to a car yard 4 $6000 and the car yard sold it through the auctions for $2100

Zhyr
Regular

February 2004
Re: Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Sat, 28 February 2004 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Look out for this fella! In SE Qld. I forget his last name, but we just call him Dodgy Mark! Fat dude, looks funny Smile

ooo i know Dodgy Mark Very Happy
he was on the sunshine coast, working from his garage.. Chris probably knew him from Xtreme Engine Performance and Dyno Razz

he rigged dyno readings and everything Smile
heh
Beer_is_good
Regular

February 2004

Re: Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Wed, 03 March 2004 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My bro had an RX-4, 450-500hp, 13B turbo.
Anyway he was running short on funds and needed a bigger wastegate.... so he made one, out of mild steel.
But it had the best methanol system I've seen... a paint can tied down in the boot with a belt, and two lines going to it.
Worked wonders...
Adrian
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Wed, 03 March 2004 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL Laughing Laughing Laughing MR MA70...Thats the greatest story ive ever heard!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Thu, 04 March 2004 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR MA70.....that is GOLD!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

we were stuck about 200 klms out of perth at a stop sign of a cross roads. went to take off and...nothing. snapped throttle cable.

i had nothing - and i mean nothing - in the car other than a picnic hamper and a spare tyre and jack.

so i whipped off my shoelaces, tied them together and ran them to the carby under the dash thru the firewall.

pulling the throttle was wierd, but i got used to it and made it home where i had a spare bike brake cable i used to fix it.

and we were doing 110 all the way. sure made a boring trip home a little more exciting!!!!
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Thu, 04 March 2004 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Using wire crimps to join wires to my injectors seems to have worked, they haven't melted yet Smile

I'm sure I'll become worse as I do more work though Confused
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Most dodgiest fixing you have ever seen... Thu, 04 March 2004 11:20 Go to previous message
My friend once called me for help to start hes FORD SIERRA, which had flat battery. I came to help him and we hadn't any starting cables so we used speaker wire as a starting cables. We just made the wire as short as possible and we did run about 8 wires at the same time. We eventually did get that sucker to start. Those were one hot speaker wires! Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Want to see a ST-162 Without Popup lights??? INTERESTING READ
Next Topic:if you don't see it it doesn't exist?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 05:06:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0076711177825928 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.