Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
GTStar
Forums Junkie

October 2002
parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Thu, 11 December 2003 01:40 Go to next message
hi guys

i was just wondering what parts i need to put poowersteering into my oz spec sprinter.

if i was to get it from a japspec treuno exactly what bits do i need.

cheers

Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Thu, 11 December 2003 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't understand why people want to put powersteering in their small RWD cars. I have an RA23 Celica which is 100kg or so heavier than a Sprinter, and I wouldn't even consider installing P/S in that. The steering is light enough but nicely weighted, even with 205 tyres. I really can't imagine a Sprinter being any heavier!

Perhaps you should consider going to a gym if you're having problems turning the steering wheel? Razz
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Thu, 11 December 2003 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The steering on the sprinter is extremely light if not too light at 100km/h+. I admit while trying to turn the wheels on the spot to get out of a tight parking space is rather heavy, you dont have to do it that often. Its really easy even if you are only just rolling slightly.
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Thu, 11 December 2003 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive driven a sprinter that had power steering and im not worried about it, although there is a noticable difference it not one i would worry about.

If your that serious about it, find someone with a trueno half cut that is only using motor and gear box and use the rest.

Take a look at a half cut first and play "spot the difference".

I dear say that you'll need all of the steering components
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Thu, 11 December 2003 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i'd agree with the above, unless you have a specific purpose for wanting power steering, other than just being easier to park etc, I wouldn't bother...

Driving an old Torana (1300 kg or so) without power steering and doing pizza delivery probably got me into the fittest condition I had been, forget the gym 'cause it's great for the stomach & abs...

Having said that I now own two cars with power steering Razz
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Thu, 11 December 2003 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha I was going to make the comment about needing to go to the gym, but thought i'd better now Smile

Seriously though i've got 2x AE86's and the steering is so light in them! One has 195 tyres and a quite small momo steering wheel and even in tight parking situations it is fine. The other has 185's and stock wheel and is dead easy.

Like Norbie said even the RA Celica's don't really need it and they are heavier.
GTStar
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Thu, 11 December 2003 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for giving me great feedback on why i DONT NEED POWERSTEERING but really I just want to know specifically what parts i need to do this conversion.

p.s. i plan to daily drive my car AND powersteering are for other reasons which you guys obviously dont get Rolling Eyes

i though this was the tech section not the outhouse or parts for sale section.

hahaha Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Thu, 11 December 2003 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is a discussion forum, and people will often discuss the topics which come up. If you have a problem with this, perhaps you're in the wrong place?
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Thu, 11 December 2003 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
People are saying its not worth it for a reason, if you wish to have power steering thats fine, i gave my advice about what i would do in your situation.

Maybe if we knew the reason for power steering, medical/physical, preference, just damm lazy(like me sometimes),
it might stop/change peoples responses.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Thu, 11 December 2003 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'll need rack, tie rods, steering knuckles, fluid lines, pump, bracketry, crank pulley, fan belt, and altered wheel alignment settings, and a large wallet as you'll need to import the stuff probably.

[Updated on: Fri, 12 December 2003 01:49]

Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Thu, 11 December 2003 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 11 December 2003 22:45

This is a discussion forum, and people will often discuss the topics which come up. If you have a problem with this, perhaps you're in the wrong place?

exactally.

Besides.. have you DRIVEN an AE86 with power steering?

they feel so un weighted, so light and so crap!

Now to answer your question you will need the pump, the rack and pinion, the power steering tie rod and steering arms, you will also need the power steering column as it is 2 inches shorter, then you;ll need lines.
GTStar
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Thu, 11 December 2003 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know it's a discussion forum but really my question was "what parts i needed for power steering" AND NOT "is a power steering conversion worth it?" OR "will powersteering in an ae86 make a difference"

anyways

what does the powersteering pump run off? is it an additional pulley?

simon & norbie: THANKS HEAPS for the reminder you both deserve a pat on the back!

LiL_MiC
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Thu, 11 December 2003 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have powersteering in my current ae86. my last one didn't. I wouldn't really bother thru the conversion tho [current one came with it].

wat reason would u want powersteering? The only real difference I see if were trying to steer on the spot, or moving at 1-5km/h for parking. For racing or such, non-powersteering is helpful. I remember i used to read about people removing their powersteering.

ps. steering on the spot is bad mmkay Razz
JDM hachi
Regular

February 2003
Re: parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Thu, 11 December 2003 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Besides.. have you DRIVEN an AE86 with power steering?

they feel so un weighted, so light and so crap!

Oi !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Twisted Evil
i never really noticed any different feel on my 86 with p/s than my aussie one that didn't, maybee you drove a "tired" example.
To the question of p/s or no p/s, if thats what you want then do it, with all the parts on hand, it should take no longer than about 3 hours to fit, required parts should be easy to find (or maybee a substitute from another model of car) and all the holes and even captive nuts are there for mounting. required parts are as listed.
matty.
ps, what engine do you have at the moment?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Thu, 11 December 2003 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JDM hachi wrote on Fri, 12 December 2003 08:59

required parts should be easy to find

How do you figure that? Aus-spec Sprinters never came with P/S, and I doubt wrecked imports come up that often...
GTStar
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Fri, 12 December 2003 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i`ve got a japspec 4age bluetop from a trueno

FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Fri, 12 December 2003 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive got a powersteering pump and mounting braket if you need them.

Its a start?

[Updated on: Fri, 12 December 2003 12:00]

DAMO
Regular

May 2002
Re: parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Fri, 12 December 2003 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you may also need cross member as I dont think the rack bolts to oz spec one.
GTStar
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Sat, 13 December 2003 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool thanks guy will PM u if i dont eventually find one.

thanks dude.

Blown86
Regular

July 2002
Re: parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Sat, 13 December 2003 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm thinking about the same deal.

It's amazing with all these "experts" prepared to offer no actual advice and bag the idea that none of them were able to appreciate that a: if you run a lot of castor and wider wheels Sprinter steering can be very heavy at low speeds. b: Power steering gives you faster steering by about 0.5 turns. Confused
JDM hachi
Regular

February 2003
Re: parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Sat, 13 December 2003 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

How do you figure that? Aus-spec Sprinters never came with P/S, and I doubt wrecked imports come up that often...

cause...... the fact that many front cuts have come in to the country over the last decade coupled with the fact that no-one can be asrsed to put the p/s on leads me to believe that there will be these type of parts arround. also the fact that car manufacturers seem to want to use as few different parts as possible for each model of car makes me think that perhaps camry or latter model corollas may have the same rack, pump resivoir etc....
matty.
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Sun, 14 December 2003 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah dont listen to the "experts" - I once wanted PS for my ae86.

every modern car has PS, it just makes the car much more easy to drive if your using it for everyday duties.

"oh youll loose all the feel", yeah right - with the way traffic is on the roads these days when do you ever go hammering around corners at 120kmh?

I suppose you guys wouldnt want AC or radios because they add too much weight. and while your at it why not strip out all the sound insulation.

I think the actual chances of finding the parts pretty bad tho.
youd best be selling your car and looking for one with PS already installed Confused

have a look at the EPC catalogs and see what part numbers are the same. if you can find a common car with a compatable rack youll be half way there. rack width is the critical thing tho, wrong length will cause too much bump steer.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Sun, 14 December 2003 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisss wrote on Sun, 14 December 2003 11:00

I suppose you guys wouldnt want AC or radios because they add too much weight. and while your at it why not strip out all the sound insulation.

i already have, i have No ac, no stereo, no heater, no sound deadning, no power steer, nothing in the rear of my car at all.

there are people who like driving and having a feel for the car whereever they go, thats people like myself where every tiny thing makes a differnce, and you DO loose feel with power steer.

then there are people like yourself, who NEEDS the mod cons and wouldnt notice the difference between power or non power steer except that without it's "heavier"

For what its worth i run 15X7 wheels, extra track (by about a FOOT, more then most people have)as much castor i can wind in, about 2 degrees neg camber, And i dont find my steering heavy at all...even at low speeds. *shrugs*

Blown86
Regular

July 2002
Re: parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Sun, 14 December 2003 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With all your suspension mods maybe you can't dial in as much castor as you can with standard struts?
How did you get 12 inches of extra track?

Looks like the F1 boys and many other race car builders manage to get appropriate feel using power steering or maybe they don't need the "feel" that you need. Confused
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Sun, 14 December 2003 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if your trying to tell me that F1 power steering resembles anything LIKE road going power steering, (esp from a 1985 car in the ae86) then you have rocks in your head.

i have a lot of castor, how do i know this? ive had to cut the bolt and holder off the bumper to gaurd mount and cable tie it on so the tyre doesnt rub the bolt.

extra track is achieved by using longer control arms, decent offset wheels and spacers.
Blown86
Regular

July 2002
Re: parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Sun, 14 December 2003 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So your statement about power steering was only actually meant to be limited to applications involving an ae86?

Whilst an F1 or other race system maybe unique and very expensive, can you explain how they get back all this "feel"?
Perhaps you missed your vocation! Rolling Eyes

How many degrees of castor are you running? You sure that the tyre rubbing isn't because of the extra track?

As it happens I saw my doctor the other day, he confirmed I have NO rocks in my head, in fact, he said there's bugger all there at all!! Confused

[Updated on: Sun, 14 December 2003 04:55]

GTStar
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Sun, 14 December 2003 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahahaha....blown86! Finally someone who agrees with me!

anyways im not mentioning names but some of these 'experts' who are baggin the idea dont even own an ae86. hahaha....how's that for laughs!!!

chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Sun, 14 December 2003 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey simon-mrrx7 your selling a PS setup for a AE86 arnt ya?

GTStar theres it if you want it.
Blown86
Regular

July 2002
Re: parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Sun, 14 December 2003 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$400 seems a bit high for something that the "experts" say is useless on a Sprinter! Offer him $50. Very Happy
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Sun, 14 December 2003 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
geeze theres some wankers on this forum...

The power steer set uo isnt mine its a friends, my friend ownes one of the most modified ae86 on the streets of brisbane and takes it to tracks, He also agree's that he has no use for the power steering set up. Im sure someone else can find it useful to them tho... *shrugs*

why do most top level small light weight cars run manual steering and no brake boosters? Because they lack feel.

stop talkjing about f1 at all in this contence, its bullshit to even compare it.

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Sun, 14 December 2003 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
simon, i feel sorry for you Shocked

*sigh*
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Sun, 14 December 2003 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and why is that ed?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Sun, 14 December 2003 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dealing with this...
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Sun, 14 December 2003 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe aint that the truth...
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Sun, 14 December 2003 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-MrRx7 wrote on Sun, 14 December 2003 22:00

my friend ownes one of the most modified ae86 on the streets of brisbane and takes it to tracks, He also agree's that he has no use for the power steering set up.

I'm sure the pic shows the results even without PS ... Very Happy

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Shano.JPG

Anyway, the PS parts do come up for sale once in a while but are quite rare ... hey, why not try the conversion but if it's very light, you can always switch back.

Personally, I find mine too light even without PS ... Confused
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Sun, 14 December 2003 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha dodgy, its true isnt it Smile

BTW: im selling shanes p/s setup
Drew-AE86
Regular

August 2002

Re: parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Sun, 14 December 2003 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmmmmmm

Wheres a screen shot of that Drift where its like at 90degrees and still brings it back.. the one which i was creaming over for many hours when i was up in Queensland last week Laughing

I havent had personal experience with P/S AE86's, but mine doesnt have any, and i dont see what the big deal is. If you want heavy steering, go drive somethign BIG with no P/S, then come back and complain about your small AE86 having heavy steering
Blown86
Regular

July 2002
Re: parts needed for power steering conversion (AE86) Mon, 15 December 2003 06:25 Go to previous message
Simon-MrRx7 wrote on Sun, 14 December 2003 19:00

geeze theres some wankers on this forum...

Completely agree Simon. Smile
The wank tone was well set by the second post of the thread! Of course it's always hard to beat someone that takes every opportunity to tell everyone about their Super Dooper Sprinter... Everyone really did need to know that your car has no radio and is held together with cable ties!
I'm sure myself and others are very happy for you that you learnt how to drive a car sideways.

Now perhaps you can go and play with the trucks on the highway and leave a potentially informative discussion to the grown ups!

On to the point.

I doubt that I will follow through with the PS conversion but I have driven recently a sprinter that was well setup with PS and it actually was hard to tell that it was assisted.
I've driven standard setups that felt way too assisted.
Having spoken to a couple of experienced guys with well setup PS and powerful Sprinters, they wouldn't go back to unassisted.

I can understand why some might want PS, my previous Sprinter had maximum caster dialed in and had very heavy steering a low speeds. Never a problem for me but a couple of girls that drove the car had big problems manoevering the car.
The fact that Toyota included PS for some Sprinters suggests Toyota felt it would be required by some.

All cars with PS (even F1 cars) have something in common. The amount of caster used can affect feel with PS as with the amount of grip the tyres have.
The degree of PS assistance can affect steering feel as well, one potential mod to lessen assistance is to drop the PS pump relief valve opening pressure.
There may be other mods as well, hopefully we will hear more from some of the guys that have PS and maybe help GTStar out some more.

Good on you GTStar, if you need more advice try the Perth AE86 board, we're lucky not to have the level of knob tweaking demonstrated here so regularly.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Cressida MX83 open diff to LSD swap
Next Topic:Rebuilding 3S-GTE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 14:10:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0088570117950439 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.