Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

twin turbo 18RGEU Mon, 15 December 2003 07:26 Go to next message
i have the option to get my hands on some GT15's ATM, does anyone know anything about these turbo's, they are off the current SAAB 93 T, i know they can deliver 21psi on overboost and make boost at 1500rpm on the saab 2.3L, apart from cost would they be useless on a 18RGEU,

imagine lifting your bonnet at a car show to show a twin turbo 79 corona Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: twin turbo 18RGEU Mon, 15 December 2003 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One of them would probably work OK, two would be lag city. Generally speaking twin turbos don't work well on 4-cylinder engines anyway.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: twin turbo 18RGEU Mon, 15 December 2003 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi phil!

well ... low comp pistons, turbo cam (minimal overlap), used-intercooler and piping, teach-yourself-to-weld, an 18RGU EFI manifold and you're set ... oooh, i nearly forgot ... a bucket of cash... Wink

seriously, would the 18RG pump out enough exhuast gas for two of them? and even if they're boosting at 1500rpm with a 2.3litre your engine may not be up to feeding two of them?

info:
http://www.egarrett.com/products/gt_15_25.jsp
http://www.limitengineering.com/catalog.pdf (size!)
maps:
http://www.turbofast.com.au/balsmall.html (first section)
http://not2fast.wryday.com/turbo/maps/

would be a shitload of plumbing under the bonnet, but jeez what a sleeper... Wink

charles.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: twin turbo 18RGEU Mon, 15 December 2003 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh i know it'd cost a lot, but how sic would it be, on a normal 2l engine it may be excessively laggy but on a rev happy 18RG it wouldnt be all that bad would it,

wouldnt 1 be way too small, run out of legs in the top end,
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: twin turbo 18RGEU Mon, 15 December 2003 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
solution.. put a 1g-gte into the corona.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: twin turbo 18RGEU Mon, 15 December 2003 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philmelvin wrote on Mon, 15 December 2003 18:57

yeh i know it'd cost a lot, but how sic would it be, on a normal 2l engine it may be excessively laggy but on a rev happy 18RG it wouldnt be all that bad would it,

wouldnt 1 be way too small, run out of legs in the top end,

yup ... 1 would be way too small - it would hav a short, brutish life being constantly overboosted...

i think you might find the lag (with 2) annoying after a while - but if you mostly ran it as a show/drag car instead of suburban-run-about then maybe you could deal with it?

anyway ... as you've obviously got a contact in the trade to get these at a suitable price ... why not aim for a GT25 - would make you 18RG shine... Wink
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: twin turbo 18RGEU Mon, 15 December 2003 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

yup ... 1 would be way too small - it would hav a short, brutish life being constantly overboosted...

anyway ... as you've obviously got a contact in the trade to get these at a suitable price ... why not aim for a GT25 - would make you 18RG shine... Wink

[/quote]

price......whats that i get'em for free, just need new seals

[Updated on: Mon, 15 December 2003 10:13]

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: twin turbo 18RGEU Mon, 15 December 2003 10:48 Go to previous message
well, that's offsets the welding costs of the manifolds for a start ... Wink
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Dust boots on ball joints
Next Topic:Do watercooled turbos have to be watercooled?!?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 17:11:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.003572940826416 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.