Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

my car wouldn't start :( Mon, 15 December 2003 14:47 Go to next message
hey guys
tonight after work (just now) my car (JDM 4age ae86) wouldnt start
8 hrs previous it was running like a dream
i parked it on a slight incline while i was at work

it would try and try and try, *turn key - eeet eeet eeet eeet eeet eeet* no love... Sad poor lil hachi

so we push started it and it started.. YES!

what would be the issue? why would it be fine to drive after push start, just wouldt start on it own?

i has a funny thing with my starter a while back, where it wouldnt even try to start, just a *click* of the starter motor and then nothing, but that disappeared...

any connection?
me = total engine newbie so please explain if you can

anyone elighten me? this is my first car so im learning as fast as i can Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 15 December 2003 14:48]

Send a private message to this user    
nomuken
Regular

November 2003
Re: my car wouldn't start :( Mon, 15 December 2003 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check your battery man, maybe It is about to give up.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: my car wouldn't start :( Mon, 15 December 2003 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but it was trying to start
the power/elec part was good

anyone?
NickAE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: my car wouldn't start :( Mon, 15 December 2003 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dodgy alternator?

if it happens again give it a tap with a screwdriver see if it fixes it. You can also test it but im not sure what current you're looking for...where's cool1 when u need him Razz
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: my car wouldn't start :( Mon, 15 December 2003 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
best way to test yr battery is

turn yr lights on then try to start the car

if yr lights go dime then the battery is sort of flat

if they stay bright then yr starter motor os probably old and
dirty

u can pull the losenoid part of the starter apart and sand the contacts up

and maybe even pull the back bushes of the rotor in the starter and clean the bushes and the rotor where the bushes rub with sand paper

or u could pay 150 bucks for a reco one
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: my car wouldn't start :( Tue, 16 December 2003 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hang on did it grind like the starter solanoid wasnt throwing the armiture out and engaging with the flywheel remove the starter and check it on the ground to see that its working properly.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: my car wouldn't start :( Tue, 16 December 2003 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah i did the lights thing, they went sorta dim, so little tho so i rekon is ok, funny thing is tho, the car doent like to start with the lights on sometimes, its all very intermittent Sad

they battery/elec is good i THINK

but the car is fine today, but i dot want it to happen again!!

jason: no, not a 'grinding' sound, just like the engine wasnt responding to the "come on, start you bastard" from the rest of the engine

i rekon the starter is fucked..... it wouldt start a few weeks back

how much is a new starter genuine parts?

sideshow: the rotor from the distributor? or the starter?

nickae86 : which bit is the alternator? is that on the drivers side under the oil dipstick?
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: my car wouldn't start :( Tue, 16 December 2003 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Tue, 16 December 2003 01:47

any connection?

Quote:

nickae86 : which bit is the alternator? is that on the drivers side under the oil dipstick?

wow you wernt kidding were you we will do our best to help
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: my car wouldn't start :( Tue, 16 December 2003 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a similar problem the other day with the Corolla (4AGE).

I found that it was a poor connection from the battery to the main ignition wires (i.e. the fuses which were used to replace the fusible links were dodgy... not blown just dodgy)

The ECU still had power just not the coil pack etc. so the engine ran fine once you got it started and the alternator was powering everything.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: my car wouldn't start :( Tue, 16 December 2003 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason wrote on Tue, 16 December 2003 12:02

any connection?

Quote:

wow you wernt kidding were you we will do our best to help

yeah Embarassed thanks Smile
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: my car wouldn't start :( Tue, 16 December 2003 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Tue, 16 December 2003 13:18

I found that it was a poor connection from the battery to the main ignition wires (i.e. the fuses which were used to replace the fusible links were dodgy... not blown just dodgy)

The ECU still had power just not the coil pack etc. so the engine ran fine once you got it started and the alternator was powering everything.

which part? the fuses or the wires?
NickAE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: my car wouldn't start :( Tue, 16 December 2003 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Quote:

which part? the fuses or the wires?

i dont think you've got anything to worry about re the coil pack....if there was in issue there the car simply wouldnt run...my ignitor kicked the bucket, no sound when you turn the key just the click of the starter. Wouldnt roll start due to ignitor being busted=no spark. You dont wanna go there...toyota wanted $500 for the part Shocked

toobs: isnt the coil pack & ignitor connected so that one cant work without the other?

http://www.maccustoms.com.au/DVC00115.JPG
alternator located in front of the exhaust manifold & next to the battery...the silver looking thing (right haand side if looking at pic)

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: my car wouldn't start :( Tue, 16 December 2003 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so my car did start on a rollstart so my starter/ignitor is ok

so it could be alternator/distributor??
or something completely different?
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: my car wouldn't start :( Tue, 16 December 2003 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dunno but sure sucks when you pay more than $10k for something which can't start ... Confused

Just a bit of experience - it could also be a faulty fuel pump however this will be likely only if the engine is cranking but not starting whenever you turn the key.

I had a similar problem where the wires to my fuel pump were tied too tight and fell out leaving me stranded for a nite.

Pays to have RACQ back-up or a mate with a tow truck ... Smile
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: my car wouldn't start :( Tue, 16 December 2003 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah dodgy it starts today and everytime since last night

just very indescicive, and irregular

its probably homesick Wink hehe
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: my car wouldn't start :( Tue, 16 December 2003 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bad earth mate
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: my car wouldn't start :( Tue, 16 December 2003 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-MrRx7 wrote on Tue, 16 December 2003 20:51

bad earth mate

you fucking serious? Very Happy
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: my car wouldn't start :( Tue, 16 December 2003 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
very mate very Razz

ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: my car wouldn't start :( Tue, 16 December 2003 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Old Toyota Tarago, she no start, turn fan off she starts good!
Old 4AGE Seca, she no start, turn lights off, she starts good!
Old 4AGE Seca, she no start, turn off fan, she starts good!
OLD old Corolla she no start, bloody wires too old, can't carry current anymore, put in a relay for starter motor, Bloody Bewdiful she start!

Go find a friendly auto electrician who knows about Toyota's.
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: my car wouldn't start :( Tue, 16 December 2003 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

hey guys
tonight after work (just now) my car (JDM 4age ae86) wouldnt start
8 hrs previous it was running like a dream
i parked it on a slight incline while i was at work

it would try and try and try, *turn key - eeet eeet eeet eeet eeet eeet* no love... Sad poor lil hachi

so we push started it and it started.. YES!

what would be the issue? why would it be fine to drive after push start, just wouldt start on it own?

i has a funny thing with my starter a while back, where it wouldnt even try to start, just a *click* of the starter motor and then nothing, but that disappeared...

any connection?

anyone elighten me? this is my first car so im learning as fast as i can Smile

I have the exact same problem with my 3TGTE very very weird. Never got to the bottom of the problem. When it is trying to start but wont click over (as in the eeet eeeeet eet) try putting your foot flat then starting the car then easing your foot off the accelerator, apparently mine had a small leak in the injector which flooded the motor beofre I started it, so putting your foot flat before you start lets air in to mix with the fuel, which makes the car easier to start. Has worked every time so far....

As for the starter motor not even trying to start, I have had this problem aswell but with either problem you can push start the car and it will run and drive fine. Cant be my starter motor as it has just been rebuilt but I found a lose connection at my starter motor which has just been fixed and the problem hasnt occured once since then.

Could be a similar problem as one of these but I had both problems at once and it took me a fair while to work out what the problem was, so hopefully this may help you.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: my car wouldn't start :( Wed, 17 December 2003 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
happenned again tonight

tried the foot on pedal thing > didnt work

push started ok tho

anyone???
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: my car wouldn't start :( Wed, 17 December 2003 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think it is definately your starter motor. After you had the problem the first time, you then drove the car around with the battery charged and alternator light not glowing,and the car functioned normally without the use of the starter motor (when you push started it - it fired into life easily), but why does the starter work some times and not others I hear you say?!!!

I once had the same problem in a 3TGTE starter motor (same reduction drive starter as you should have), sometimes you could start the car, sometimes all you could hear was the solenoid giving up in desperation. The problem was traced back to a wire that was soldered on in the starter. It moved around with vehicle movement to allow the starter to work some times, and not, other times. The Starter was pulled apart, resoldered, and I've never had the problem since.

Most electricians will test a starter motor that you have removed from the car for free, if they won't go somewhere else to have it tested. If you want to save the $150 fee for the reconditioned unit, just ask him to fix the problem, not recondition the unit for you. Mine was fixed for free, I repayed him by going back there several times, so he still made money in the end!
crazedrt104
Regular

March 2003
Re: my car wouldn't start :( Thu, 18 December 2003 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude...definately your starter...either the solinoid is starting to pack it in or you have a dodgy cable connection. could be that you have a shit load of crap inside your solinoid (dirt/carbon etc)
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: my car wouldn't start :( Thu, 18 December 2003 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any directions on how to clean or fix a starter motor??
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: my car wouldn't start :( Thu, 18 December 2003 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ill second the bad earth, also check the efi relay
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: my car wouldn't start :( Thu, 18 December 2003 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IRA11Y wrote on Thu, 18 December 2003 20:32

Ill second the bad earth, also check the efi relay

annnnd how does one check an efi relay?

ill do it if you explain it Smile
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: my car wouldn't start :( Thu, 18 December 2003 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to do so requires a vague understanding of how a relay works. if you don't have this and are not prepared to find out yourself, then you should probably take it to your local mechanic.

how about how stuff works etc, or even looking at the manual for your car (do you have a manual??) which will probably tell you how to test it....

alas, i cannot help you.
Cya, Stewart
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: my car wouldn't start :( Thu, 18 December 2003 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20tech_pages/Tech%20Photos/AE86_Japan_ECUa.jpg

bling!

now what does a relay look like? in the engine bay?

ps > i have no manual Sad

[Updated on: Thu, 18 December 2003 11:28]

Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: my car wouldn't start :( Thu, 18 December 2003 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they look like a little black (sometimes grey) cube, with pins at and wires plugged into the pins at the bottom of it, they are held onto the car by a single bolt or screw.

check connections on the pins, turn the ignition ON and OFF and to start and to on to check the relay clicks.

since you dont have a basic knowledge, its really hard for us to help you out so far, so even harder again to say this is what the prob is!.

if i were in sydney i'd take 2 sec's to find the prob Razz
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: my car wouldn't start :( Wed, 10 March 2004 15:07 Go to previous message
found a helpful toyota starter motor link

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h7.pdf

save ti disk all you info horders

as for my issue
ifixed the battery and did a tune up and it fixed
except for tonight where the starter was sparking and i push sarted it
then realised the grounding ring wire had come loose Rolling Eyes

time to screw it back on... which terminal do i take off the battery first?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Repair VVT - rebuild VVT???
Next Topic:How does a 4AG dizzy pick up crank angle?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 18:23:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005885124206543 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.