Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
isaac
Regular

March 2003
Dual Exhausts Celica Tue, 16 December 2003 22:52 Go to next message
I am thinking about going with dual exhausts once my loan gets approved. I am going to have a similar setup to http://www.mackdaddy.tk but get big fat mufflers and angle them outwards like http://www.hive.net.au/qik/10ded.asp. Somebody said that i would loose back pressure and therefore lose performance, is this true? I think that dual exhausts would look so much better than just one fat one. What do you guys reccon. I have been quoted $140 for the work, plus $200 each muffler for huge ones. I am mainly concerned with the "am i going to lose power" problem. can somebody tell me if this will lose power or not?
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Dual Exhausts Celica Tue, 16 December 2003 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Engines do not need any backpressure at all if appropriately tuned. I wouldn't worry about losing power, although I would worry about looking silly! Razz
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Dual Exhausts Celica Tue, 16 December 2003 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Once again, Norbs is accurate and correct.

Why would anyone think taht the exhausts look good like this, especially when they cost $200 EACH.

I can find much better ways to spend $540.

isaac
Regular

March 2003
Re: Dual Exhausts Celica Tue, 16 December 2003 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You think that my car would look stupid with the soarer-style exhausts?

You said that i don't need any back pressure if approperiately tuned. What if it's just a stock engine with that done to it? I am thinking that there is still back pressure up to the part where the pipe splits in two.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Dual Exhausts Celica Wed, 17 December 2003 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
540 for dual exhausts, thats pretty cheap...

how big is the pipe?
stainless mufflers?
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Dual Exhausts Celica Wed, 17 December 2003 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
isaac wrote on Wed, 17 December 2003 09:48

You think that my car would look stupid with the soarer-style exhausts?

You said that i don't need any back pressure if approperiately tuned. What if it's just a stock engine with that done to it? I am thinking that there is still back pressure up to the part where the pipe splits in two.

No, with true soarer style exhausts, it would probably look sweet if you modified the rear bumper and did it right. (true dual, x-cross, straight out).

On the other hand, those crimes against nature that they put on that poor soarer look like clear tail light lenses do. Totally fucked. Especially if you angle them, you'll look like every other wannabe riceboy out there. Cannons are just stupid.
isaac
Regular

March 2003
Re: Dual Exhausts Celica Wed, 17 December 2003 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's using the stock piping, and then in the middle of the car using a Y piece to break it up into two pipes. Then at the back there are 2 muffs. 540 sounded pretty cheap, other places wanted more like 700.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Dual Exhausts Celica Wed, 17 December 2003 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you're retaining the stock piping until the rear of the car, there will be little or no reduction in backpressure at the exhaust manifold, so you don't have to worry about your engine running any differently.

You say $540 is pretty cheap, but it sounds pretty expensive to me when compared to the cost of not doing it at all (ie zero)!
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Dual Exhausts Celica Wed, 17 December 2003 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Believe me, this mod will be for appearance alone. It will not change performance one iotum, particularly if you will be running the standard exhaust right to the division point.

It is a $540 no gain modification (except for some weight - sounds like a body kit).

Of course it's your money so don't let any of us stop you. However I'd be spending my $540 on the first metre of the exhaust, not the last metre.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Dual Exhausts Celica Wed, 17 December 2003 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Wed, 17 December 2003 12:55

I'd be spending my $540 on the first metre of the exhaust, not the last metre.

Well said. Smile
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Dual Exhausts Celica Wed, 17 December 2003 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I would agree. Spend the money on extractors, or tuning or something. Perhaps cold air induction or something. Save the dual exaust system for when you have enough money to do it right (ie, an actual dual exaust, not a split thingy).

Or alternativly, if you REALY like the look, just get a chrom tip, stick it on some piping, and weld that to the left hand side of your car. As far as I know, it will give you the same sort of performance gains. Very Happy

P.S. I think the stock Soarer exaust looks way better than what he replaced it with.

[Updated on: Wed, 17 December 2003 06:41]

isaac
Regular

March 2003
Re: Dual Exhausts Celica Wed, 17 December 2003 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alright, i am convinced that i should not get the dual exhausts. I am going to save my money until i can afford something decent for my car that is not rice Razz Thanks guys
swankiedude
Regular

March 2003

Re: Dual Exhausts Celica Wed, 17 December 2003 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh dear

I cant believe you are letting other peoples opinions be the decider on what to do and what not to do. If you like the look of the dual stainless cannon muflers then do it regardless of what any1 else thinks.

When done properly and on the right car, I love the look of the dual stainless cannons and have every intention of doing this exhaust treatment myself to me seca. I know most people dont like it and think its "rice" but im not building my car for them, Im building it for me so I will make it look the way I want it to.

Car modifying is all about personal taste as far as im concerned
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Dual Exhausts Celica Thu, 18 December 2003 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
He asked for opinions. He got them.

Read carefully.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Dual Exhausts Celica Thu, 18 December 2003 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i agree that there would be little point in doing the twin exhausts using the standard front pipe but if he really wants to do it then he can. But as he has already changed his mind (for the better IMO) then it wasn't all that important.

BTW fitting 'real' dual exhausts on a 4 cylinder would be pretty ccrazy. Most people that have twin exhausts on an inline engine will have a single that splits into two.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Dual Exhausts Celica Thu, 18 December 2003 06:57 Go to previous message
Hey hey. Don't get me wrong, I think the dual exaust system can look sweet. In fact, I'm a bit of a ricer. But I don't like pointless rice. Putting a chrome tip on your standard exaust, getting "mag wheel" hubcaps, lowering the car with cut springs, puting a spoiler on an Excel (like... WTF?).

If you want a dual exaust, with 2.5" cannons, go for it. But do up your extractors first and then see if you can split the 2.5s off the cat. That will look nice, and actualy be functional. Oh and on modern cars you wont get much gain from any modification unless you get someone to tune the engine/program the computer to deal with the modifications (unless you have a spiffy computer that figures out that you made the mods itself).

Hey, question for you all, are you allowed to change your catalitic converter in Australia? I know you can get high flow cats, but is that legal? Ofcourse, the next question is should you care. Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Oh my! look what I found...
Next Topic:Loose all your licences if caught drink driving?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 20:55:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050880908966064 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.