Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

A Lesson in Acceleration Tue, 16 December 2003 23:43 Go to next message
A Lesson in Acceleration
First, some useful info:

* One Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than the first 4 rows at the Indy. 500.

* Under full throttle, a Top Fuel dragster engine consumes 1 gallon of nitromethane per second; a fully loaded 747
consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.

* A stock Dodge 426 Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to drive the dragster's supercharger.

* With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a
near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.

* At the stoichiometric 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitromethane the flame front temperature measures 7050 degrees F.

* Nitromethane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen,
dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

* Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

* Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from compression plus
the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.

* If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient
force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.
* In order to exceed 300 mph in 4.5 seconds dragsters must accelerate at an average of over 4G's. In order to reach 200 mph
well before half-track, the launch acceleration approaches 8G's.

* Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have completed reading this sentence.

* Top Fuel Engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light!

* Including the burnout the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.

* The red-line is actually quite high at 9500 rpm.

* The Bottom Line; Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP,
each run costs an estimated $1,000.00 per second. The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.441 seconds for the
quarter mile (10/05/03, Tony Schumacher). The top speed record is 333.00 mph (533 km/h) as measured over the last 66' of the run,
(09/28/03 Doug Kalitta).

Putting all of this into perspective:
You are riding the average $250,000 Honda MotoGP bike. Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged and ready to
launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the RC211V hard up through the
gears and blast across the starting line and past the dragster at an honest 200 mph (293 ft/sec). The 'tree' goes green for both of you
at that moment. The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your wrist cranked hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal
whine that sears your eardrums and within 3 seconds the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter
mile away from where you just passed him.
Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road
when he passed you within a mere 1320 foot long race course.

That, folks, is acceleration.
  Send a private message to this user    
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: A Lesson in Acceleration Tue, 16 December 2003 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whoa.
isaac
Regular

March 2003
Re: A Lesson in Acceleration Wed, 17 December 2003 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like my stock '90 celica Cool
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: A Lesson in Acceleration Wed, 17 December 2003 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol. Woah. I need one Evil or Very Mad
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: A Lesson in Acceleration Wed, 17 December 2003 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can we shoehorn one into a sprinter or even better a ke10 to see how long the chassis would last and have heaps of fun ? Wink
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: A Lesson in Acceleration Wed, 17 December 2003 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Sounds like my stock '90 celica

wish I'd said that... Very Happy
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: A Lesson in Acceleration Wed, 17 December 2003 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Wed, 17 December 2003 12:00

Quote:

Sounds like my stock '90 celica

wish I'd said that... Very Happy

i was going to say that about my RA60!!! Mad Laughing Laughing
SXer
Regular

May 2002
Re: A Lesson in Acceleration Wed, 17 December 2003 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
got any proof? Very Happy
isaac
Regular

March 2003
Re: A Lesson in Acceleration Wed, 17 December 2003 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.bermudarectangle.com/car/isaac/hinze/images/DCP_2433.jpg

Notice the red paint? That's all the proof i need Razz
SXer
Regular

May 2002
Re: A Lesson in Acceleration Wed, 17 December 2003 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fair call.

actually - I was more looking for proof of the claims in the first post. I have no trouble believing that a celica could do those figures.. Laughing
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: A Lesson in Acceleration Wed, 17 December 2003 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that is one niiiiiiiiiiiiiice celica dude Very Happy
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: A Lesson in Acceleration Wed, 17 December 2003 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ha ha ha. I would like to see a Celica pull 9s, let alone 400m in 4.5 seconds.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: A Lesson in Acceleration Wed, 17 December 2003 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
easy, drop it out of a plane at 2000kph

all that and only 1 gear
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: A Lesson in Acceleration Thu, 18 December 2003 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pffft Very Happy Very Happy

the celica is so quick.. that you dont even see it move down the quarter... before you know it its gone. and down the other end of the 400m

http://www.eviltrip.com/77/ggc051003/photos/IMG_0032.jpg

see looks like its doin 500 kph standing still!!

and then... i woke up, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: A Lesson in Acceleration Thu, 18 December 2003 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goddamn that white celica is quick!
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: A Lesson in Acceleration Thu, 18 December 2003 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philmelvin wrote on Wed, 17 December 2003 19:42

easy, drop it out of a plane at 2000kph

all that and only 1 gear

Pfft, drop a ball out of a plane at 2000kph and watch how quick it does a 1/4 mile. All that and it's JUST A BALL! But then ofcourse, the plane actualy got it that fast. And realy, that's what we are talking about. The thing applying the power, not the thing traveling at speed. Well.. we are kinda talking about both.
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: A Lesson in Acceleration Thu, 18 December 2003 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evil_Foetus wrote on Thu, 18 December 2003 12:26

goddamn that white celica is quick!

if ya lucky ill let ya touch it one time J/k Very Happy
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: A Lesson in Acceleration Thu, 18 December 2003 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alwaysRA23 wrote on Thu, 18 December 2003 10:43

pffft Very Happy Very Happy

the celica is so quick.. that you dont even see it move down the quarter... before you know it its gone. and down the other end of the 400m

http://www.eviltrip.com/77/ggc051003/photos/IMG_0032.jpg

see looks like its doin 500 kph standing still!!

and then... i woke up, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing

yay, i took that photo

sorry Embarassed
4AGE
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: A Lesson in Acceleration Thu, 18 December 2003 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got faster!!!
With my push along scooter!
If u put one of those on the greyhouse track instead of the rabbit. I'm pretty sure my corgi/terrier and pomeranian can catch up to it plus eat it for lunch! Laughing

Sorry if it was bad humor.
Malicia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: A Lesson in Acceleration Thu, 18 December 2003 10:48 Go to previous message
Shocked
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Jamie Heritage 1UZFTE celica
Next Topic:1JZ RA23 at Willowbank last night?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 10:27:14 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048511028289795 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.