Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Building custom dash for ra23 Sun, 14 December 2003 22:50 Go to next message
Hi all,

I'm currently in plan stage for a custom dash for my ra23 - anyone have any ideas what I should try and make it out of?

I can do wood easy as pie -- but I was thinking maybe fibre glass / plastic?

Any thoughts?

Also any one know where I can get some inspiration from pics etc?

Cheers Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Building custom dash for ra23 Sun, 14 December 2003 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you talking about the fascia or the entire dash panel?

Carbonfibre, fibreglass, brushed aluminium, tell us what look you want to go with eg contempory or traditional etc, etc.
Andy_H
Regular

October 2003
Re: Building custom dash for ra23 Sun, 14 December 2003 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there once was an orange ra28 in fast fours which had a new dash panel made from plastic with grey leather over the top. mind you his profession was car interiors. just cover the original one with something.
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: Building custom dash for ra23 Sun, 14 December 2003 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The entire dash - complete including the glove box Smile

I was hoping to try and get a brushed aluminum look, or a dark silver finish -- I'm not quite sure the best material to make it out of - I know wood will suck - but then for the support would be ok...

Not sure Smile

I have this vision of it in my head - all neat and 'modern' ish I guess - though very simplistic in design -

All smooth and flowing -- lots of things hidden neatly and looking like they are just a part of the panel....

That probably helps less Very Happy

Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Building custom dash for ra23 Mon, 15 December 2003 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try bluewire (i think) he does this for a living and will be able to help you out heaps....
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: Building custom dash for ra23 Mon, 15 December 2003 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Smile I've contacted Sean - to see what a price could be and what sort of materials Smile

Have to say the bluewire install looks sweet Smile

Cheers for the advice.

*as always Toymods helps me sort myself out* Very Happy

Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Building custom dash for ra23 Mon, 15 December 2003 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glad to be able to help, two heads are better than one.

With my dash i took all the yucky wood grain and replaced it with a sheet of carbon fibre and then plastic welded the cracks and painted the dash up, looks alright and is nice to look at on long trips.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Building custom dash for ra23 Mon, 15 December 2003 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I like the factory fake wood Confused Confused

But be nicer if it was real and polished. Just not sure how to cut a piece of wood that fine.
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Building custom dash for ra23 Mon, 15 December 2003 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Mon, 15 December 2003 14:06

I like the factory fake wood Confused Confused

lol each to their own i guess

mine was all falling off and missing bits so i really had no alternative but to replace it with something a bit more modern.

[Updated on: Mon, 15 December 2003 03:13]

coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Building custom dash for ra23 Mon, 15 December 2003 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heres mine not the best pic but you get the idea

http://xdesign.com.au/coronamk2/interior-small.jpg

went for the wood look to go with the steering wheel its also got wooden arm rest and some of the centre console

i'll eventually paint the plastic Razz
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Building custom dash for ra23 Mon, 15 December 2003 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

+ me & a mate carpeted the whole dash and my mate gave me a ciggie burn while i was sat in the car i smashed the steerng console so we made one out of some plastic bottles paper mashay then carpeted it (aint no one going to get my ignition barrel out Evil or Very Mad )

where the 2 gauges are is where the am radio was

ps. im getting new black carpet for the floor in the new year Very Happy
dcving
Regular

May 2002

Re: Building custom dash for ra23 Mon, 15 December 2003 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try polished stainless with autometre gauges, thats what i have and i quite like it even tho a lot of people wouldnt
rxtoy
Regular

December 2003
Re: Building custom dash for ra23 Mon, 15 December 2003 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have a look through some hot rod magazines, the ones with tech tips. i've got a couple with how to's on complete interior trim's and one with a custom aluminum dash from scratch. i wouldn't want to try it myself but for someone with the skills it wouldn't be too hard.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Building custom dash for ra23 Mon, 15 December 2003 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gotta put a plug in for my ta22 cluster :

http://www.vncommodore.com/images/celica/newdash.jpg
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: Building custom dash for ra23 Mon, 15 December 2003 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CoronaMark2: IS that a complete custom or is it original modified?

Grega: I like the ta22 dash too Razz

and the hotrod mags are a good idea - *hadn't thought of them*

Smile

more wealth of info Smile

Dciving:

I like the sound of the polished stainless, any pics for me to see and borrow ideas from? Very Happy

[Updated on: Mon, 15 December 2003 12:08]

coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Building custom dash for ra23 Tue, 16 December 2003 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its original but the centre console is custom as well as where the gauges are. It looks heaps better than the original.

polished steel is the go but you have to make up custom mounting points so i hope you have a decent welder friend Very Happy
dcving
Regular

May 2002

Re: Building custom dash for ra23 Tue, 16 December 2003 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry no pics at the moment, ill take same during the week, ill email them to you as i dont have webspace to put them up here
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Building custom dash for ra23 Tue, 16 December 2003 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd love a custom aluminium dash in mine - the lightly polished look with custom gauges is awesome (imho)
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: Building custom dash for ra23 Tue, 16 December 2003 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers Dcving - I'll look forward to it - just pm me for my email addy Smile
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: Building custom dash for ra23 Fri, 19 December 2003 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
grega where abouts is your fuel gauge gonna go? i really like what you've done though... how long does it take/how hard is it to take out the dash like that?
scrote
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Building custom dash for ra23 Fri, 19 December 2003 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
personaly i like the wood grain and think the ta22 has a dash that compliments the style of the car.

would love to have a gt face style instead of the wood thou.

there was a home made dash face from polished aluminium on ebay awhile ago that didnt look to bad. was sort of domed out instead of flat.

i also think a great idea to keep the original stereo in and hide whatever system you have.
good security and fills the holes.
Azrael
Regular

September 2003
Re: Building custom dash for ra23 Sat, 20 December 2003 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you wanted a wood finish you could always go down to your hardware shop and buy some wood veneer and glue it over your existing dash. Then you'd just need to add some shellac over it... That's one of my potential plans anyway.
peal
Newcomer

December 2003
Re: Building custom dash for ra23 Sun, 21 December 2003 05:03 Go to previous message
With the stainless dash, you may want to check with the legality of this mod first. Head impact zones etc could possibly pose a problem.

Personally I'd just restore the original and maybe fit some new gauges.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:O/D light wont stop flashing (ma70 turbo) ?!?!
Next Topic:Electrical: DOME??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 15:21:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058109760284424 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.