Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
St3ve_AE92
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Instument cluster conversion Tue, 01 October 2002 07:01 Go to next message
Ok, today tried putting a instrument cluster from Oz_Craig's 4afc carby into my 4afe efi.

The dashes are pretty much the same, except my one doesnt have a tacho, and when we tried putting craig's in, that does have a tacho it didnt work.

Anyone know why it is doing this? is it because they are both wired differently?? or because one in carby, one efi??

is it then possible to easily change the wiring so that it will work?
  Send a private message to this user    
haggis
Regular

May 2002
Re: Instument cluster conversion Tue, 01 October 2002 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didnt work how exactly?

I know there is no difference in the AE82 dashes. Tacho or nontacho, the actual wireing harness is the same (right down to having the plug and wired for the rear wiper in the sedan wireing harness!!)

I'd suspect somthing similar in the AE92 range, but dont quote me on this.

More info would be good...

Craig.
St3ve_AE92
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Instument cluster conversion Tue, 01 October 2002 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yer, man that is what we thought would be the case too....that they'd be the same. just "plug and play" so to speak.

but it turns out it wasnt to be. what i mean by didnt work was that no dials worked. i think i remember the warning lights working ok, but definately not the tacho, and the fuel and temp guages didnt work.

We think it might have something to do with the ecu wiring, and because mine is efi, and craig's is carby.
chaoren
Regular

September 2002
Re: Instument cluster conversion Tue, 01 October 2002 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah there is a difference but they will work. You need to swap some wires in the plugs.

Its not too hard if you sit both clusters beside each other and draw yourself a bit of a diagram. Make sure you know where each wire came from before you change things though!

Somewhere, I have a rough conversion diagram between the CS, the Csi and the SX dashes. If I can be bothered typing it up, I will post it here.

chaoren
St3ve_AE92
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Instument cluster conversion Tue, 01 October 2002 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yer man,if you can be bothered to type it up that sounds like it will be of great help. thanks.

Does it pretty much show what wires we will have to change, or??
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Instument cluster conversion Tue, 01 October 2002 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man if you could post it up we would be greatful

you know you want to
Razz

cheers mate

Craig
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Instument cluster conversion Tue, 01 October 2002 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u could also submit it as a tech article, toymods would be very greatful, just email it to nark or sam..
Liam
Regular

July 2002
Re: Instument cluster conversion Tue, 01 October 2002 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It would be greatly appreciated if you could type up those wiring diagrams Smile

Looks like there is a few of us that could do with your help...

Thanks,
Liam.
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Instument cluster conversion Wed, 02 October 2002 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok mine is complete (sx into a cs carby) im gunna type up a tutorial

if anyone needs a hand let me know, be careful but that diagram can be mis leading!

if anyone wants a copy of the tutorial let me know

craig

steve we will finish your 2moro night
partyjase
Regular

June 2002
Re: Instument cluster conversion Wed, 02 October 2002 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meeee please!

would be really helpful.
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Instument cluster conversion Wed, 02 October 2002 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep i wouldn't mind a copy to please!
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Instument cluster conversion Thu, 03 October 2002 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alright i ll send you guys a copy when its done her are a couple of before and after pics

before
http://www.users.bigpond.com/digger_aus/dashthingy.jpg

After

http://www.users.bigpond.com/digger_aus/sxdashin.jpg

[Updated on: Thu, 03 October 2002 00:23]

St3ve_AE92
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Instument cluster conversion Fri, 04 October 2002 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After craig connected up the last few wires the sarv, my dash conversion is now complete also! Smile

So now my after pic looks similar to craig's before pic. Razz

To the guys that are doing a similar conversion, as you might already realise, it is not a hard job to do at all. A fair bit of re-connecting wires, but that is not hard at all.
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Instument cluster conversion Fri, 04 October 2002 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did you guys keep your odometers the same? Surprised
St3ve_AE92
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Instument cluster conversion Fri, 04 October 2002 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yer man, just coz it was the easiest thing to do at the time. just kept the ones that were in that certain dash in there.

coz i'm a bit of a fuss pot, i wrote down the k's on mine when i took it out, and the k's craig had when i put his in.... i works out good, all i do is take off 18,000k's.
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Instument cluster conversion Fri, 04 October 2002 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah now i have 300,000 km on mine lol!!!

yeap all is good both working perfectly
ill try get the thingy typed up this week

i might wind the speedo back to match, nar stuff it to much effort
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Instument cluster conversion Fri, 04 October 2002 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you serious Craig??? 300,000km???

Where did u get the little plastic bit that goes under the deck in the SX dash layout??? Mine has the checker plate there which is going but I need the little plastic compartment there...
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Instument cluster conversion Fri, 04 October 2002 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its outta a 1998 corolla if my memory serves me right got it a while ago but
you will have to make a few brackets but
NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
Re: Instument cluster conversion Sat, 20 December 2003 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok.. now I seem to be in the same situation. Going from a non tacho cluster to a tacho cluster. I've rewired it to the CSX pinouts I found on the net but it doesn't seem to work.
All that seems to work is the high beam light. Also the temp gauge goes straight to hot. I'm guessing I might have mixed some wires that were the same colour...
So how do I test bad earths??
How do I use my multimeter to find out the function of the wire? and where it goes??

Your help is much appreciated.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Instument cluster conversion Sat, 20 December 2003 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is the engine a 4agze
they need a booster to get the tacho to work
NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
Re: Instument cluster conversion Sat, 20 December 2003 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope its a 4a-fe...
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Instument cluster conversion Sat, 20 December 2003 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok on back of tahco wil be a small screw with ig- on it
run a wire from it to the negative coil

that should be the rpm signal
if it still doesnt work then the power to tacho or earth is not there
NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
Re: Instument cluster conversion Sat, 20 December 2003 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm actually trying to wire up an instrument cluster which includes speedo, tacho, coolant temp, fuel gauge etc etc not a standalone tacho. But at this point I'm so stumped I kinda wish I had bought a standalone tacho instead...
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Instument cluster conversion Sat, 20 December 2003 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok
well tacho is black wire

temp is yellow with green strip

oil is yelow with black strip or it could be grey wire

charge/alt light is yelow wire

there the one is know of my head

the otheres just trace where they go for ech dash
they cant be too different

do drawing of them makes it ewasier
NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
Re: Instument cluster conversion Sat, 20 December 2003 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sideshow wrote on Sat, 20 December 2003 17:08

ok

the otheres just trace where they go for ech dash
they cant be too different

do drawing of them makes it ewasier

hm... how does one do that?
Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Instument cluster conversion Sat, 20 December 2003 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a wiring conversion diagram for AE92 clusters that I have drawn up from info posted previously by members here and in Twincam.org. It differs a little from the workshop manuals I have but has the connections have been used successfully. I will be doing this conversion over Christmas and will post the results. E-mail me if you want a copy or someone can host it for me. I have done a Tacho dash conversion in a 4AFC and everything worked straight up including the Tacho. I had a separate issue with my water temperature going hot which proved to be an earthing problem with an earthwire from the wiring loom behind the carby to the inlet manifold.

NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
Re: Instument cluster conversion Sat, 20 December 2003 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hm... I've seem to have been able to trace quite a bit of it to my new cluster. Apparently the cluster I bought is wired completely differently to the csx cluster although similiar in features.

I can't seem to get the cluster to illuminate when I turn the headlights on. Can anyone help me with that? I've tested the wires that I thought powered the illumination with a test light but it wouldn't turn on. (Green and White and Green wire)

Another thing my new cluster seems to have a weird light i've never seen before. It's like a pipe with a big middle section and the middle section has squiggly lines above it. Its definately not a rear demister light as it has one as well and looks different.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Instument cluster conversion Sat, 20 December 2003 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry typing too fast

well its pretty basic

trace the ign power

ans the neg to the dash
usually its writen on th eback of dash

honestly if u dont understand this give the job to a pro

both dashes are from similar cars so it should be easy

do a drawing of the orig dash
race wires where they go
its not that hard
if u dont understand it then dont do it
NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
Re: Instument cluster conversion Sat, 20 December 2003 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I've been able to get most of it working now (amazing what a person can learn in a weekend) Shocked . Pretty much all except for the illumination when you turn the headlights on.
Rod83
Regular

August 2003
Re: Instument cluster conversion Sun, 21 December 2003 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That weird light you're talking about is for the catalytic convertor temp sensor. It tells you when you're cat is overheating or something. As far as I know its pretty useless. The dash cluster from my ae92 levin halfcut has one.
NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
Re: Instument cluster conversion Sun, 21 December 2003 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Catalytic converter temp sensor? Did you connect it up? What does it mean when a catalytic converter is too hot? There's too much harmful substances in your exhaust? a/f ratios aren't right? Lead in your exhaust? Does the standard oz ae92 have connections in its cluster loom for it? I wouldn't mind having it.

Update: My cluster now lights up when I turn on the headlights. Turns out my taillight fuse was out.
Rod83
Regular

August 2003
Re: Instument cluster conversion Sun, 21 December 2003 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I haven't wired the car up yet. Since I'm not using the levin dash cluster, I won't be wiring up that light. I don't think any of the oz clusters have them but I could be wrong. To use it you'd need a temp sensor just after your cat. It's probably too much of a hassle to get working if you don't already have the temp sensor and connections.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Instument cluster conversion Sun, 21 December 2003 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the ilumination comes from the dimmer

turn yr lights on and plug in the dimmer
if the dimmer is not plugged it u wont get power up to the wire that powers the lights in the dash

NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
Re: Instument cluster conversion Sun, 21 December 2003 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SUCCESS! It's all wired up. Very Happy
Enrage
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: Instument cluster conversion Mon, 31 May 2004 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
has anyone made a diagram from a cs to csx dash yet?
Enrage
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: Instument cluster conversion Tue, 01 June 2004 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
plz... someone, can they send me a diagram. dash is out at the moment so yea, could do with one right about now.
Enrage
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: Instument cluster conversion Tue, 01 June 2004 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
never mind, its all good Very Happy turns out i didnt need to change any of the wires at all. i was amazed when i plugged it in and it worked!! *shrug*
Flogbag
Regular

December 2003
Re: Instument cluster conversion Sun, 06 June 2004 11:29 Go to previous message
changed the cluster in a friends rolla today

hes got a ae92 csi..? 4afe with a tacholess cluster
i fitted a ae92 seca 4afe cluster with tacho

took a while

what i did was write down where all 3 sets of wires went then did the same with the new one and just changed the wires in each connector to suit

still have info if anyone is interested...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Strange noise when turning left... ( in a ST162 )
Next Topic:1jz valve clearance?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 11 09:26:09 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0066978931427002 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.