Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Sx Acceleration is stuffed!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
tuz76
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Sx Acceleration is stuffed! Sun, 21 December 2003 08:15 Go to next message
Hi,

I hve a 1989 Toyota Corolla SX with around 179,000kms on the clock. (The car is definately not thrashed because its been driven very moderately 90% of the time.

I wanted to try and get asome answers here regarding this problem because I know you guys are the best out there with regards to the 4AGE motor! I have been really distressed trying to work out what on earth it could be. my problem is a weird one. Over the last month or so, Ive noticed that the power 'kick' of my car is 'gone'. The best way to explain this is that PRIOR to my problem occuring, if I am driving and sitting on 3rd at 3500RPM, if I then planted the accelerator, the car would kick hard and accelerate. All good.

The problem now is that the acceleration is much more gradual and it seems alot weaker/longer to work from idle through the tacho range. Almost as if something is blocked in relation to the car breating. The engine exhaust (2 inch) is also more quiet than it used to be. Im thinking something to do with the cat converter or muffler? ,Maybe the air filter?

The car is mechanically perfect, compression is fine, just been serviced, but for some reason feels like it has only around only 60kw! And the time that it takes to accelerate from idle to around 6000RPM is much longer than it used to be a few months ago. The acceleration curve is also very linear and gradual (even with foot planted on the floor) rather than being traditionally low up until 3000 then a nice sharp punch all the way to redline. I miss that!! Plz fellas, who or where do I look to correct this? Sad

The car has basically lost its ability to 'accelerate' on demand!

Other things I can thing of that may/not be correct??

Computer?
Fuel injuectors?

im dying to fix this and someone must know!! arrghh

Cheers,

Tuz
  Send a private message to this user    
hotrolla
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Sx Acceleration is stuffed! Sun, 21 December 2003 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it's just been serviced they should of found the problem but check the air filter/filters or there could be to much oil Rolling Eyes in the car but im not to sure. Check your spark plugs and leads to.

Good luck
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: Sx Acceleration is stuffed! Sun, 21 December 2003 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
only use premium unleaded, and make sure your timing is right
SXer
Regular

May 2002
Re: Sx Acceleration is stuffed! Sun, 21 December 2003 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
collapsed cat?
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Sx Acceleration is stuffed! Mon, 22 December 2003 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have exactley the same problem but all possible gremlins as above i have checked and all are fine,

Its starting to shit me to tears, 1 day all is good, put the foot down and i shit myself and the next its like power is out the window, and the shit returns to my pants.

Is it possible that if the tps is slightly out of wack would cause these gremlins.

[Updated on: Mon, 22 December 2003 01:17]

waynewatson
Regular

May 2003
Re: Sx Acceleration is stuffed! Tue, 23 December 2003 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Take your cat off. You're car won't rev like normal, but it should give you an indication that there is a blockage at the cat or behind the cat.

Take your airbox out and your intake pipes off and inspect them.
Take your plugs out and inspect them for oil.

Another possability is blocked fuel line or filter, or fuel pump that doesn't keep up any more. Keep your fingers crossed it's not the fuel system.

Matt20v
Regular

September 2003

Re: Sx Acceleration is stuffed! Tue, 23 December 2003 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey man i had that prob when i first got my car make sure u arnt getting ripped off with the service my prob was the fule filter it was so blocked, do u use genuine toyota parts maybe that might be a problem i hate using non gen but yeah good luck ohh and yeah use the highest grade fuel u can afford and can get i use only ultimate in my car which is that same as optimax 98 ron and has got chemical agents to clean the engine and injecters and u also get more km's out of it runs much nicer and more power to cheers mate
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Sx Acceleration is stuffed! Tue, 23 December 2003 14:56 Go to previous message
Im starting to think fuel system problems because my return hoses at the front and rear tend to pop off everynow and then.

Think i might remove fuel tank and lines and see whats up.

Steve
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:positives of fuel injection over carbs
Next Topic:car problems....urgent
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 15:21:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.089531898498535 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.