Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » safe amount of thread on the bolts for mounting a wheel?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ashling
Regular

February 2003
safe amount of thread on the bolts for mounting a wheel? Mon, 22 December 2003 07:47 Go to next message
how would i know if i needed to have longer bolts on my wheel hub? (other than the wheel falling off, yes).

i was told it would be good if i could get 6 turns out of the nuts, but i don't quite get that (5 or so).

[Updated on: Mon, 22 December 2003 07:48]

Send a private message to this user    
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: safe amount of thread on the bolts for mounting a wheel? Mon, 22 December 2003 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ideally, you want all the thread of the nut to contact thread of the stud, this however is difficult to check when using enclosed nuts! The other line of thinking is to have a greater amount of thread contact than width of stud, which for most small cars is at least four complete rotations of thread, and more for larger cars with bigger studs. Check the requirements yourself, before you take anyone's remarks including mine as gospel!
rxtoy
Regular

December 2003
Re: safe amount of thread on the bolts for mounting a wheel? Mon, 22 December 2003 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
don't know about Australia but in NZ it's meant to be 7 full turns of the nut for a warrant of fitness. i've never seen it checked though
Drift_AE71
Regular

October 2003
Re: safe amount of thread on the bolts for mounting a wheel? Mon, 22 December 2003 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on my old 180sx i use to have the nuts half on becuase i ran spacers.
i got them on about 3turns and made sure they where tight.
they never come lose on me and i drifted the shit out of it

cheers matt
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: safe amount of thread on the bolts for mounting a wheel? Mon, 22 December 2003 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yick! People that use spacers and only a couple of threads are tosspots of the first order - it does seem to work, and often you'll get away with it for ages, but they have a horrible habbit of failing at the WORST possible time. I went and had a look at a crashed car one time, reason for the crash? Dickspot that owned the thing had done the spacers/no thread trick. Dickspot is now well and truly dead, by the way... Another time I was IN a car, when Dickspot MK II that 'owned' it decided to 'have a go' at beating a falcon at the lights. The result? The car hit a gutter, and the wheel came right off! Need I even BOTHER mentioning the reason??

Changing studs is not hard. If you can't do it yourself, pay someone to - and it really is that easy! In case anyone gives a damn, as part of my current brake upgrade, I changed to 5 larger and longer studs. How long? Try over 30 turns with open ended nuts Evil or Very Mad (OK, so I went too far, but hey!)
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: safe amount of thread on the bolts for mounting a wheel? Mon, 22 December 2003 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It took me about an hour per side to change the short assed studs to longer ones. That included removing and refitting the hubs to the car. Smile
"Old Engineers rule of thumb: Minimum 3 threads above surface of any nut". Hey if you're using blind wheel nuts, do the maths.
Anyone relying on 3 turns or so is IMHO an accident waiting to happen.
I dont care if you kill yourself, but Murphy's law says you will take out someone else! If you survive, your life is going to be hell! particularly if the ones you hurt are mine!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad

regards Chuck.

ashling
Regular

February 2003
Re: safe amount of thread on the bolts for mounting a wheel? Mon, 22 December 2003 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I only need to change one wheel Razz

I was trying to replace a cracked rim and the guys down at Tempe Tyres sold me one with a different offset after assuring me that it was exactly the same wheel. I suppose I should have thought to check that one.

Anyhow, now I have 3 wheels with an offset of 35, and one wheel with an offset of 40. Tempe Tyres will refund me, but I don't want to do that unless I can replace the wheel somewhere else.

My other option is to fit a 5mm spacer, although it is a little annoying having the nuts stick out 5mm more on one wheel than any other.

The wheel is a "Diablo Burgini" or a "Zenetti Mystic" depending on who you ask and I'm looking for a 19x8.5 with a 35 offset in silver.

I bought the wheel from Tempe Tyres for $290. Hell, I'll give $50 to anyone who can find me the wheel I want locally (Sydney) for under $320 by tomorrow.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: safe amount of thread on the bolts for mounting a wheel? Mon, 22 December 2003 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Take the wheel back, get the refund, and put the steelies back on till you find a suitable replacement. Changing the offset of only one wheel is ludicrous.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: safe amount of thread on the bolts for mounting a wheel? Mon, 22 December 2003 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steelies? *cough* Mk4 Supra *cough*
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: safe amount of thread on the bolts for mounting a wheel? Mon, 22 December 2003 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, alloys, donuts, bricks, whatever, just not one odd wheel!!!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: safe amount of thread on the bolts for mounting a wheel? Mon, 22 December 2003 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very Happy
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: safe amount of thread on the bolts for mounting a wheel? Mon, 22 December 2003 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i like 150% of the bolts diameter -- a 10mm bolt needs a nut that contacts 15mm of threads.
200% would be better for wheel stuff and the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM is 100% for anything else except jam nuts.
ashling
Regular

February 2003
Re: safe amount of thread on the bolts for mounting a wheel? Mon, 22 December 2003 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah all i've got to sit the car on is the space saver.

one odd wheel might be my only choice if i can't find a replacement.
ashling
Regular

February 2003
Re: safe amount of thread on the bolts for mounting a wheel? Mon, 22 December 2003 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i hate driving my girlfriend's magna! Crying or Very Sad

i want my supra back! Sad
crazy_camry
Regular

April 2003
Re: safe amount of thread on the bolts for mounting a wheel? Mon, 22 December 2003 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin wrote on Mon, 22 December 2003 22:16

Changing studs is not hard. If you can't do it yourself, pay someone to - and it really is that easy! In case anyone gives a damn, as part of my current brake upgrade, I changed to 5 larger and longer studs. How long? Try over 30 turns with open ended nuts Evil or Very Mad (OK, so I went too far, but hey!)

where can i get longer studs from? and how do they connect into the hub? just screw in i suppose?
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: safe amount of thread on the bolts for mounting a wheel? Mon, 22 December 2003 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I changed mine over from 16x7" stockies to 17x7½" chromes, and the offset is similar to stock, though I miss out on about 2 thread turns. Confused

The spare tyre, however, is a different matter.... having a modified rear wiper arm (from a Toyota Kluger) which is thicker than a RAV4 stocker, combined with a much wider tyre on a bigger rim means that I had to use a 10mm spacer on the rear door studs. Shocked The rear wiper arm does get it's full swing now without jamming up against the tyre. The studs are still stock and the wheel nuts only get about 3 or 4 turns on the spare wheel, but there's no wobbling or rattling at speed, even with only 3 nuts/studs holding the wheel on.
ashling
Regular

February 2003
Re: safe amount of thread on the bolts for mounting a wheel? Tue, 23 December 2003 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The end result has been...

Tempe Tyres are ordering the wheel with the proper offset in with their next shipment. Meanwhile, I will be using the wheel with the wrong offset with a proper spacer made courtesy of Neale Wheels. When the new wheel arrives, Tempe Tyres are going to buy the old rim back off me, as long as it is still in good condition.

What a run around!
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: safe amount of thread on the bolts for mounting a wheel? Tue, 23 December 2003 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd make sure they buy the wheel back at all costs!

um, re: the amount of thread, at least 75% of the wheel nut i'd like to see consumed by thread (from the hub)

the studs are normally an interference fit into the hub...ie: they pull up against the outer part of the hub when tightened.

[Updated on: Tue, 23 December 2003 05:55]

ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: safe amount of thread on the bolts for mounting a wheel? Tue, 23 December 2003 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Longer wheel studs are available at auto parts suppliers.
For Celica front: remove the entire brake disc and hub assemly, unbolt the the disc, then knock out the old studs. You will see that there is a spline type engagement section, under the head of the stud. The new stud has to be pulled into the hub, ensuring that the stud fully bottoms out. Rattle gun works well for this. You would be well advised to re-check wheel nuts a couple of times, after replacing studs.
Some live axle rear ends can have studs replaced without removing the axle, some cant, depends on the length of the new studs.
As has been said elsewhere in this thread, it is imperative that, the wheel centres on the hub. This is where all the weight of the car sits. Adapter rings are available at wheel shops, measure the dimeter of your hubs, and the internal diameter of the mounting hole on the wheel. Take these measurements along to the wheel shop, and pick up the adapters.

regards Chuck.
TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: safe amount of thread on the bolts for mounting a wheel? Thu, 25 December 2003 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maximum strength is achieved when you have 1.5 times the stud diamter on the nut. Eg 12mm stud gets maximum hold will 18mm of nut. This is the general rule.
More contact than that makes no difference.

Cheers,
Simon
crazy_camry
Regular

April 2003
Re: safe amount of thread on the bolts for mounting a wheel? Fri, 09 January 2004 08:37 Go to previous message
ChuckLandwehr wrote on Tue, 23 December 2003 19:48

Longer wheel studs are available at auto parts suppliers.

do you mean like a repco or something? if not, what is an example store? what model celica is your tutorial referring to?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1GGTE Manual Conversion
Next Topic:97 camry taco wire diagram or colour
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 31 00:04:50 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052490234375 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.