Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » are red cars actually faster??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
are red cars actually faster?? Mon, 15 December 2003 13:40 Go to next message
i want to paint my car, and i was just wondering, if i paint it red....wont it actually be slower??

i mean...there's more lead in red paint than most other colors...does that mean it would weigh more?

i dont want my car to go slower... Rolling Eyes
  Send a private message to this user    
Meathead
Regular

March 2003
Re: are red cars actually faster?? Mon, 15 December 2003 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The color red has been scientifically proven to provide enhanced aerodynamics and as a result better performance... Rolling Eyes
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: are red cars actually faster?? Mon, 15 December 2003 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but wouldn't the extra weight hold it back?
Shocked
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: are red cars actually faster?? Mon, 15 December 2003 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and...

you're just saying that because your car is red...(at least in your avatar...)

Very Happy Very Happy
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: are red cars actually faster?? Mon, 15 December 2003 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*shakes head*

as i said steve... you're a *()Y$*(#@^
Malicia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: are red cars actually faster?? Mon, 15 December 2003 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My celica was red and it was damn fast and only had an 18rc Laughing
Grant
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: are red cars actually faster?? Mon, 15 December 2003 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is not quite on the subject but some insurance companies charge a higher rate for red cars. Apparently they have a higher probability of being in an accident.
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: are red cars actually faster?? Mon, 15 December 2003 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant wrote on Tue, 16 December 2003 07:26

This is not quite on the subject but some insurance companies charge a higher rate for red cars. Apparently they have a higher probability of being in an accident.

Only if there's a blonde p plater woman behind the wheel...
wizzfizz2097
Regular

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: are red cars actually faster?? Mon, 15 December 2003 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would have said more because red and black cars are harder to see at night, and theres an emotional attachment to the colour red that may make their driver think they're hot ****
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: are red cars actually faster?? Tue, 16 December 2003 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but woudn't red paint be heavier than white paint? Very Happy
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: are red cars actually faster?? Tue, 16 December 2003 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My old Telstar was red, and that wasnt fast
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: are red cars actually faster?? Tue, 16 December 2003 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahahah Ford owner! Laughing
Matt20v
Regular

September 2003

Re: are red cars actually faster?? Tue, 16 December 2003 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why does it always come back to red being faster just cause ferrie paint the cars red dont mean its good. i reckon silver is a better colour and faster then a red car.!!!
fingers
Regular

April 2003
Re: are red cars actually faster?? Tue, 16 December 2003 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just remember that red also means stop... Razz
NickAE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: are red cars actually faster?? Tue, 16 December 2003 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there was some scientific study into this actually...they somehow proved that a red car would be ever so marginlly faster due to the paint itself...something to do with less molecules or something....has no bearing on performance whatsoever as we're talking smidgins of a smidgin. If i can be bothered searching for the article again i'll post the link

re:red cars costing more for insurance...would have something to do with the driver demographic...also certain shades of red are more expensive...moroon is the most expensive colour to respray your car
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: are red cars actually faster?? Tue, 16 December 2003 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The whole idea about red cars going faster stems from a phenomenon called doppler effect. In reality it doesn't make any difference, however if you are going really fast, a white twinky will look like a red twinkey.

This is why the RED corollas are in much higher demand than the white ones, because they appear to be faster. In reality, we all know that this is just an optical illusion and that no corrola is capable of going fast no matter what colour it is painted.

This is also likely to be the reason why the driver in the corolla that you just past looks like this Embarassed
c2888
Regular

May 2002

Re: are red cars actually faster?? Tue, 16 December 2003 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Who won the F1 championship this year?
a fazza
What colour is a Ferrari?
RED
Case Closed Very Happy

Daniel
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: are red cars actually faster?? Tue, 16 December 2003 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well a few points for the Scientifically proven stuff guys. But Apart from the 'fewer molecules' (which i haven't heard of, not to say it doesn't have any merit) they are umm...just a myth.
However due to the wavelength of the Color RED it is actually one of the fasters colors in the spectrum, so you do actually see the Red car b4 you see the blue one next to it. The doppler effect is a concept that covers the changing of the properties of Sound waves created by an object travelling at very high speed.

[Updated on: Tue, 16 December 2003 03:43]

boudan
Regular

June 2003
Re: are red cars actually faster?? Tue, 16 December 2003 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Is this really a technical conversation... leave this crap in the 'General' or 'Outhouse' ...
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: are red cars actually faster?? Tue, 16 December 2003 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

However due to the wavelength of the Color RED it is actually one of the fasters colors in the spectrum, so you do actually see the Red car b4 you see the blue one next to it

although conversely if you were watching from rear angle the red car would appear to move away slower.

Which of course they do.. Razz
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: are red cars actually faster?? Tue, 16 December 2003 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have to disagree, light travels at the same speed, fast cars just appear to be red.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: are red cars actually faster?? Tue, 16 December 2003 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah-uh (year 8 style)

Light does not travel at the same speed across the spectrum.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: are red cars actually faster?? Tue, 16 December 2003 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSupra wrote on Tue, 16 December 2003 08:49

hahahah Ford owner! Laughing

Says Mr Ex VL Wagon owner Rolling Eyes
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: are red cars actually faster?? Tue, 16 December 2003 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
0h yeah, well my dad said that the speed of light is the same (about as fast as his Celica) and it's the frequency and wavelength thats different wif the colours.
midnight
Regular

November 2003
Re: are red cars actually faster?? Tue, 16 December 2003 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matt20v wrote on Tue, 16 December 2003 12:29

Why does it always come back to red being faster just cause ferrie paint the cars red dont mean its good.

Im fair sure the "red is the fastest colour" quote only went mainstream after that moto GP ad... u know the one with the ethnic fruiterer, saying how he can make his mototbike ride attract more kids..
"paint it red, it is the fastest colour"
"maybe give it a stripe"

lol best bits when u see him on the ground "help! help! i've been thrown!"

anyways enuf crap from me...

[Updated on: Tue, 16 December 2003 05:32]

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: are red cars actually faster?? Tue, 16 December 2003 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeez, it has to be fast .. why else would i have painted my car "toyota red" Wink

T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: are red cars actually faster?? Tue, 16 December 2003 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gold28 wrote on Tue, 16 December 2003 16:24

0h yeah, well my dad said that the speed of light is the same (about as fast as his Celica) and it's the frequency and wavelength thats different wif the colours.

different frequency and different wavelengths are variables
v = FxL (L=lamder (Wavelength))
so yes to keep the same speed v = 3x10^8 m/s the wavelength and frequency balance out.
so apology's to GOLD28, for the doppler affect does work here too. however even on a F1 ferrari it wouldn't be noticable to the naked high.
ie: the same way a train's sound increases in frequency when speeding past you. And then its frequency lowers again when driving away. btw, Its only in effect under acceleration.

the fact is that scientists aren't 200% sure on the properties of light. The Basis of the modern physical world is that the speed of light is constant. However different colors do achive different 1/4mile times. dependent on their position on the spectrum, ie wavelength. Thanks for bringing up the discussion. It's re-kindled my passion to go back to uni.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: are red cars actually faster?? Tue, 16 December 2003 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
T APLUS 22 wrote on Tue, 16 December 2003 19:41

naked high

Rolling Eyes
Razz

gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: are red cars actually faster?? Tue, 16 December 2003 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So I guess it doesn't matter what colour you paint it. If you go fast enough it will look red in their rear view mirror and blue once you pass them and dissapear in the distance.

So the ultimate question is do ou want to look fast bearing down on their tail or speeding away.

Why not paint the front of your car red and the back of it blue. You couldn't get any faster than that.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: are red cars actually faster?? Tue, 16 December 2003 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Tue, 16 December 2003 10:46

but woudn't red paint be heavier than white paint? Very Happy

Red paint is not heavier that white paint, and it doesn't generally contain lead. You would be hard pressed to find lead based pigments in any modern car paint - it is now only used quite rarely in some industrial coatings/colours.

White paint is based on titanium dioxide (Specific Gravity of 4.1) and so will be heavier than red paint based on organic red pigments (depending on pigment have a S.G of 1.2 - 1.Cool. White paint also generally contains higher pigment loadings than red paint.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: are red cars actually faster?? Wed, 17 December 2003 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The strangest thing is, that when I drive really fast, I seem to see BOTH red AND blue in my rearview mirror, and they seem to be flashing!
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: are red cars actually faster?? Wed, 17 December 2003 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin wrote on Wed, 17 December 2003 21:18

The strangest thing is, that when I drive really fast, I seem to see BOTH red AND blue in my rearview mirror, and they seem to be flashing!

HAHAHAHAH nice one man...someone get some stiches..my pancreas is falling out my sides

'naked eye' - one of those after night shift things
MIKE_JZA70_TYPE_R
Regular

November 2003
Re: are red cars actually faster?? Wed, 17 December 2003 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aren't the particles in red paint closer together thus allowing a better drag co-effeicent?????

If not that then that John Denver is full of crap!
ReQuieM
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: are red cars actually faster?? Wed, 17 December 2003 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
red an blue? me too! Razz
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: are red cars actually faster?? Wed, 17 December 2003 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol shin - GOLD! Wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: are red cars actually faster?? Wed, 17 December 2003 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thing is, it seems to have the same effect even when I'm driving Whitey. Stuffed if I can work out where the red and blue come from! It's as though they just, well, appear from behind a tree or something... Evil or Very Mad
hotrolla
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: are red cars actually faster?? Wed, 17 December 2003 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go get your car sprayed corolla red Smile
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: are red cars actually faster?? Wed, 17 December 2003 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MIKE_JZA70_TYPE_R wrote on Wed, 17 December 2003 18:39

Aren't the particles in red paint closer together thus allowing a better drag co-effeicent?????

If not that then that John Denver is full of crap!

Was this before or after he lit his Country Music Award on fire?
tailz
Regular

August 2003
Re: are red cars actually faster?? Wed, 17 December 2003 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
would gloss help ?? Laughing
Grant
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: are red cars actually faster?? Wed, 17 December 2003 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just going back 20 posts or so, the issue about the insurance premium and the colour of the car is to do with the fact that drivers tend to be mesmerised by bright coloured cars (not just red) so instead of stopping to avoid the accident the bright coloured car actually gets hit.
shag
Newcomer

September 2003
Re: are red cars actually faster?? Tue, 23 December 2003 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i might go for the polished steel look, no paint = no extra weight, i need all the help i can get!
Azrael
Regular

September 2003
Re: are red cars actually faster?? Tue, 23 December 2003 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hotrolla wrote on Wed, 17 December 2003 22:25

Go get your car sprayed corolla red Smile

uhhh, but if you painted it corolla red, then wouldn't it look like a red corolla... might be a good diguse Rolling Eyes
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: are red cars actually faster?? Tue, 23 December 2003 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have 2 cars one red one white, guess which one is faster...

The white one..........

but I am sure that the color plays absolutly no part in this whatsoever Rolling Eyes
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: are red cars actually faster?? Tue, 23 December 2003 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my red ke55 was much slower than my ta22 and thats gold...
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: are red cars actually faster?? Tue, 23 December 2003 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you want you car to go faster, strip ALL the paint off... That would be a significant weight reduction and as rust holes develop the car would become lighter again and therefore even faster!!! Very Happy

Note: rusted areas are nature's speed holes developing. Rolling Eyes
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: are red cars actually faster?? Tue, 23 December 2003 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tailz wrote on Thu, 18 December 2003 01:41

would gloss help ?? Laughing

actually, no. gloss creates more drag because the air 'sticks' to the paint.

similar to a golf ball. it is pitted to stop air 'sticking' to the surface and causing drag. there was a test done with a shiny golf ball and a pitted golf ball, and the pitted ball flew about twice as far as the gloss ball because the pitted surface creates tiny pockets of turbulence in front of and to the sides of the ball which helps it 'carve' thru the air.

also a sound theory why salt flat racers always have matt cars.......or it's just corrosion..... Laughing

actually land speed record drivers need a glossy car to make the air stick to the car to keep it stable and provide downforce at almost mach 2.
shag
Newcomer

September 2003
Re: are red cars actually faster?? Tue, 23 December 2003 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what if i dont want to play golf with my car? i remember bmw came out with a motorbike helmet that was dimpled like that, it hasn't really caught on. would be interesting to see how much it helps, last time i did 220 on a bike it bloody near tore my head off when i stuck it up above the visor! Evil or Very Mad
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: are red cars actually faster?? Tue, 23 December 2003 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Underwater the red car will disappear first and therefore must be faster. But green would be slow as. In regards to dimples. If they are faster you must allbe waiting for the next hail storm.
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: are red cars actually faster?? Tue, 23 December 2003 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My daewoo was red, that was so fast it ended up in 4 trees and a boulder. Or was that because i fell asleep at the wheel? hmmm.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: are red cars actually faster?? Wed, 24 December 2003 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There was a guy about, oooh, 10 years ago, who took an entire EH holden and chromed the bloody thing. Looked like a toaster, and wasn't too well recieved at rego time either, but hey! From memory that had a worked 327/poweglide/9 inch/tubs/etc., and he tried to kid it was actually pretty fast... But what colour WAS it? (probly only ran a mid 13 or something anyways!)

Speaking of hitting trees, sleeping and red cars, mate of mine rang up at 4am this morning and needed a ride home. Turned out he'd fallen asleep driving home and slammed straight into a tree at, my guess, about 70km/h. He survived without a bit of damage, and his car was red... Oh, and in case you were wondering, the car was a HZ Holden, and, thankfully, has already been put through the crusher!

As for natures speed holes, well I always DID love Datsun 180b's, and I suppose this theory just proves they're trying they're damnedest to go as hard as possible Cool
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: are red cars actually faster?? Wed, 24 December 2003 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin wrote on Wed, 24 December 2003 22:37

There was a guy about, oooh, 10 years ago, who took an entire EH holden and chromed the bloody thing. Looked like a toaster, and wasn't too well recieved at rego time either, but hey! From memory that had a worked 327/poweglide/9 inch/tubs/etc., and he tried to kid it was actually pretty fast... But what colour WAS it? (probly only ran a mid 13 or something anyways!)

My mechanic told me about that car, he said it caused many accidents coz ppl were blinded when the sun hit it. Very Happy It was on the road for only a day coz it was so dangerous. Evil or Very Mad
Donuts
Occasional Poster

April 2003
Re: are red cars actually faster?? Sun, 04 January 2004 08:15 Go to previous message
I think you guys are barking up the wrong end of the spectrum. I seem to remember that a violet painted object would be faster due to the violet colour draging less. This said, the speed advandage is so small that driving the car naked, or just after you have taken a dump would give you a bigger speed advantage. Also driving a violet car makes you look ghay (for that matter driving the car naked would make you look a bit weird too)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:stock speakers size on an 86 ma70???
Next Topic:air con into a ta23
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 01:42:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0088651180267334 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.