Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
HedgehogSandwich
Regular

May 2002
oil pressure gauge 1JZ Thu, 19 September 2002 11:40 Go to next message
quickest answer wins £5. I need to order it in asap.

Which oil pressure gauge do i need.. mechanical or electrical? I dont want to fit any extra senders but want to use an existing sender on the egnine.

adi
  Send a private message to this user    
Pete
Regular

May 2002

Re: oil pressure gauge 1JZ Thu, 19 September 2002 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't bother running an oil pressure gauge on it, unless it is a 0-30 Psi unit. Maybe try running an oil temp gauge. I tried running a 0 -100 autometer and the pressure hardly registered on the gauge.

Jz's run bugger all oil pressure but loads of volume. Electrical is always thew best because you don't need to run the capillary tube into the cabin. ie. no hot fluids if something splits,bursts.

Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: oil pressure gauge 1JZ Tue, 23 December 2003 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lately when i start up from cold my oil pressure reaches 100 PSI! Then it settles to around 40-60PSI when it's warm. This has been only happening recently. Maybe it's time for an oil change?
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: oil pressure gauge 1JZ Tue, 23 December 2003 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes indeed danish
thick oil when cold.

i have a 0-100psi elec gauge on my 4AGE
it reads 25psi at cold idle

the mechanical gauges are supposed to be more accurate as they read the absolute pressure, but, from what i gather its illegal to run pressurised oil/fuel into your cabin...
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: oil pressure gauge 1JZ Tue, 23 December 2003 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hands up who had an engine fire yesterday as a result of a ruptured oil pressure gauge capilary tube....

yes they're more accurate, and the gauges themselves have much higher resolution, but ill be putting it back in with nothing less than a braided stainless line...

[Updated on: Tue, 23 December 2003 06:51]

lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: oil pressure gauge 1JZ Tue, 23 December 2003 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you're using an exisitng sender then it'd have to be electrical. I didn't think 1jz's had an oil pressure sender to run a gauge from, just the one for the dash light and the low oil sender in the sump.
If this is the case (no pressure sender), there is a great mod for installing one that uses the 2jz union bolt which you can mount a sender on. It's covered in supraforums somewhere.

[Updated on: Tue, 23 December 2003 06:52]

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: oil pressure gauge 1JZ Tue, 23 December 2003 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You buy an IS300 2JZGE VVTi bolt. It comes predrilled with a sender unit thread. Being a cheap bastard, I just got mine tapped.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: oil pressure gauge 1JZ Tue, 23 December 2003 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed!!!!
that better not ahve been your sexy beast that caught on fire!
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: oil pressure gauge 1JZ Tue, 23 December 2003 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Engine fire? That makes me sick hearing that. What exactly happened? Did the nylon tube rupture in the cabin or engine bay?

Guess i'll have to put my spare extinguisher in the cabin until i can actually do something about it. Do Autometer do an electric oil pressure gauge?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: oil pressure gauge 1JZ Tue, 23 December 2003 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Tue, 23 December 2003 18:16

ed!!!!
that better not ahve been your sexy beast that caught on fire!

errr, yes it was Sad

not too much damage tho actually. a few things discoloured and there's a bit of melted plastic and rubber here and there, but in all, not that bad.

how: nylon pirtek pressure line (which was zip-tied WELL away from contacting anything hot) just melted under the radiant heat of the extractors (which were about 4" away at the closest point). ultimately the line ruptured, then pissed oil @ 50psi over the manifold/engine, and wooshka...

bought an extinguisher this morning Rolling Eyes

cheers
ed
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: oil pressure gauge 1JZ Tue, 23 December 2003 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if u havnt changed the oil sneder on a 1jz its a shit fight
its under the a/c compressor

theres not much room there
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: oil pressure gauge 1JZ Tue, 23 December 2003 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought only fuel pressure gauges in cabins was illegal? Are mechanical oil pressure ones too? If so i had better take mine out before going over the pits Sad. My autometer reads up to 100psi of pressure on my 1JZ, normally around 60psi. I just tapped my bolt too as gianttomato did.
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: oil pressure gauge 1JZ Tue, 23 December 2003 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does anyone know if oil pressure sender could be used as a fuel pressure sender? Is the sender mechanism somehow fundamentally different?
I have uncorked oil-pressure gauge. It goes without saying that this is an electric-sender.

Yes! I'm a cheap bastard. Crying or Very Sad
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: oil pressure gauge 1JZ Tue, 23 December 2003 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jayem depends on how many PSI of fuel pressure you're running....i can't see why not the electric senders just measure pressure of the fluid...(unless the insides are very different but i'd doubt it)

jeez ed. extinguisher is a good investment. cheap insurance.
just as well it wasn't a methanol fire!

and invest in some pushlock hose or braided line.
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: oil pressure gauge 1JZ Tue, 23 December 2003 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll be using slightly large injectors, so I wont be running very high fuel pressures.

These are my worrys:
1. What voltage sender uses to measure pressure? Original fuel pressure sender might use lower voltage -> less sparking and there also might be capacitors for preventing sparking.

2. Overall structure. I believe that inside sender there is some sort of diaphragm and potentiometer. Does that diaphragm endure fuel?

Better safe than sorry and blown up!
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: oil pressure gauge 1JZ Thu, 25 December 2003 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. dunno.
2. if it handles oil you'd think fuel wouldn't be a problem
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: oil pressure gauge 1JZ Fri, 26 December 2003 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm still having trouble with my 1JZ. I just changed the oil, using Mobil 1 5W50, and a valvoline oil filter and it still reads 80-90 PSI on cold idle. When driving it reaches 100PSI. It eventually settles down after 20 minutes of driving to around 60 PSI.

What could be the problem? I am using a mechanical Autometer gauge.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: oil pressure gauge 1JZ Sat, 27 December 2003 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
runing a VDO 0-100psi oil pressure gauge as my fuel pressure gauge the sender works on about 3volts from memory considering you have a fuel pump emersed in fuel with 12 volts runing strait into the tank i hardly think the gauge voltage is an issue.

Allan
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: oil pressure gauge 1JZ Sun, 28 December 2003 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good thinking Allan!!

*I feel stupid Crying or Very Sad *
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: oil pressure gauge 1JZ Sun, 28 December 2003 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does anyone know where the oil pressure sender is on a 1G-GEU?

My oil pressure gauge isnt working for some reason Confused
SkiDMaN
Regular

June 2002

Re: oil pressure gauge 1JZ Sat, 03 January 2004 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sideshow wrote on Tue, 23 December 2003 19:01

if u havnt changed the oil sneder on a 1jz its a shit fight
its under the a/c compressor

theres not much room there

i put a oil pressure guage in mine the other week... pretty easy to get to... just make sure the sender isnt too big becuase it wont fit as there is a buldge in the block just next to the sender

Pete
ViNcEnXo
Regular

July 2003
Re: oil pressure gauge 1JZ Sat, 03 January 2004 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can I put a guage on my standard oil pressure sensor that controls the idiot light on the dash?

This is for my 7M-GTE.
SkiDMaN
Regular

June 2002

Re: oil pressure gauge 1JZ Sat, 03 January 2004 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
who knows... just test it in the engine bay... should be too hard... wire from battery to power the guage with earth and signal wire.... shouldnt do any harm if it doesnt
Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: oil pressure gauge 1JZ Sat, 03 January 2004 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
T-piece adaptor in block, pressure sensor in one side, idiot switch in other ... voilą ! Very Happy
naten
Regular

May 2002

Re: oil pressure gauge 1JZ Sat, 03 January 2004 16:19 Go to previous message
hey,

started my 1jz in my ma61 for the first time last week (tanks a bunch mos)

it sits around the 50-60 psi mark, but i havent warmed it up all the way yet.

I got a cheap splitfire gauge, but it friggen leaks so i gotta take it back.

my block came with electrical sender in it, i think i will be putting it in and running a electical gauge

cheers
natan
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:RA65 Struts into TA23 ?!
Next Topic:Group Buy - Cheap CNC Quad Throttle Manifolds - Hurry
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 12:51:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064430236816406 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.