Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Track Talk » A drive in a ST-162, A Glorious day!!!!!!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
A drive in a ST-162, A Glorious day!!!!!!! Sat, 20 December 2003 04:26 Go to next message
Hey,
Just thought i might mention what I did today,
I've been checkin out some ST-162 celicas a bit these days, wanted to check some information about them, And Started to like them more and more.
It was gettin at me because i could only see pics of them,
So i decided to go check one out at a dealer, so i jumped on CARPOINT and found a couple at Car City, so I made my way down.

First I found this Red ST-162. It was pretty nice, a bit rough around some of the edges, but nice non the less, I was speaking to the guy a bit, and he started the engine, I was like "HOLY CRAP thats a nice sound" it was just the standard exhaust, still nice. After some discussion, I said to myself "this is enough, its eating away at me to give it a drive" so i said to the guy "How would i go about getting a test drive", and he goes to me "Well i'm the only person here today so I won't be able to come with u for a drive, and because this is a 'Sports Car' we aren't allowed to let u go on ur own." Pity, as it had like 160,000kms. It worried me that the engine was all rusted, like not rusted but coroded in a way, but it was smooth to the touch, just a bit rough, that was mainly on the head.

I didn't mind too much, so i went next door and found this NICE as White Celica ST-162, it had 180,000kms but was pretty neat inside, bit rough, but pretty nice, he fired this one up, and it came to life, It had a sports exhaust system, 2" i think, or it might have been just a sports muffler, but it was pretty loud. I said to him "is there any chance I could take this car for a drive at some stage", and hes like "ohhh u can go now if u like, I just need ur licence, I was like "ohhh wow, thats fantastic" He went to get me P plates and i was off.

Initial impressions
Holy crap this is nice hahaha. I was loving it, the engine had a LOT more torque than dads CS corolla haha.

He mentioned that 3rd gear had the syncros going pretty badly, and it showed in the driving, but i didn't mind, I just shifted in pretty slowly and waited for revs to go down,
I took it to about 6500rpm, and it was pretty clean all the way, it was in the wet too, so i was having loads of fun,
The car has sooo many features, sunroof, power windows etc..

I had a lot of fun as u can imagine,
There was this underground car park, and this cafe in the car park too, so I just wound the windows and sunroof down to really hear the exhaust in action, I was just driving really slowly but it sounded UNREAL....
These cars are pretty damn amazing, Really comfy too!
I know what i'm saving up for.
I had to wait a bit coz the engine was smelling a bit LOL!

Thanx for reading!
  Send a private message to this user    
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: A drive in a ST-162, A Glorious day!!!!!!! Mon, 22 December 2003 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is that the SX celica with the 3s-ge or the ST with the 3s-fe?

sounds good man Very Happy
DrExTc
Regular

August 2003
      nah
Re: A drive in a ST-162, A Glorious day!!!!!!! Mon, 22 December 2003 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like u had a blast Very Happy not sure the dealer would trust me if i came rollin in...but u get that, hey what do u mean by the engine was a bit smelling..as in burning?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: A drive in a ST-162, A Glorious day!!!!!!! Tue, 23 December 2003 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey champ! You will have to change your MSN name now! Very Happy

they are absolutely fantastic cars no question
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: A drive in a ST-162, A Glorious day!!!!!!! Tue, 23 December 2003 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I KNEW it was just a matter of time till Rob replied to this thread. Laughing
DrExTc
Regular

August 2003
      nah
Re: A drive in a ST-162, A Glorious day!!!!!!! Tue, 23 December 2003 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whos msn name rob?
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: A drive in a ST-162, A Glorious day!!!!!!! Tue, 23 December 2003 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey,

Evil_Foetus - Yeah the SX model, it had the 3sge engine. It sounded VERY GOOD LOL!

DrExTc - I Did have one of the best afternoons of my life, he would have let anyone drive this car hahaha. But it was mad. I'm not too sure what the smell was, it could have been the clutch or the engine itself, just this type of burning smell of oil kinda. but the engine was fine.. Not a hint of smoke, even at 7000rpm, i think it was just the engine was being driven hard and just made a wierd smell...

RobST162 - I just thought i might mention that Robst162 was the one that made me want a st162, hhahaha, Thanx to him hehee.
Yeah that they are, being absolutely awesome cars...

DRextc - think Rob was talking about me in terms of msn name, coz I was originally ae82 twincam, so i changed it to st-162, hahahaha!!!

The extra torque on those things are mad...
I'd love to do the painting of the front bumper bottom bit, but i heard they are really fragile!!!
I'd still do it hAHA!
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: A drive in a ST-162, A Glorious day!!!!!!! Tue, 23 December 2003 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DrExTc wrote on Tue, 23 December 2003 01:53

sounds like u had a blast Very Happy not sure the dealer would trust me if i came rollin in...but u get that, hey what do u mean by the engine was a bit smelling..as in burning?

Rob for one, ur members cars pictures don't work,
And either does ur web site, i really wanna read all the stuff about ur car etc..
and anyone elses with a st162 etc!
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: A drive in a ST-162, A Glorious day!!!!!!! Tue, 23 December 2003 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They all work for me. Confused

Did you click on the link in his sig?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: A drive in a ST-162, A Glorious day!!!!!!! Tue, 23 December 2003 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah they didn't work for a day there... back on now...

Chase down what that smell is dude. My car smokes at 7000 rpm, a combination of running too rich with the intake/exhaust mods as well as old rings Sad

Yeah definetly get the front bar painted looks so much better I reckon. Smile Or replace it with a 165 one Smile heehee (my plan)

Get NRMA (RACV?) to go over it if you are not sure, they are a little over-careful because they cover their butts but they do a pretty good job

Stuff that was wrong with mine when I bought it:
? Dodgy wiring on radio/cruise
? Leaking clutch master cylinder

and that was it! Been an absolute trooper ever since
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: A drive in a ST-162, A Glorious day!!!!!!! Wed, 24 December 2003 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have heard that the smell could have been the clutch and the tyres mainly, it was in the wet, and I was doing burnouts.
The engine was in immaculate condition from driving it, It felt ever so strong, and it revved fine, no smoke or anything even towards the 6500rpm mark..

Damn I want one of these sooo bad now...

Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: A drive in a ST-162, A Glorious day!!!!!!! Sun, 28 December 2003 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You were doing burnouts in a test drive car????!!!

ROFL! Laughing Laughing
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: A drive in a ST-162, A Glorious day!!!!!!! Mon, 29 December 2003 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
YEAH
Only little baby ones though,
And just take offs in the wet, and yeah gettin wheel spin in second,

hahaha
I needed to know what they were capable of....

And boy did i find out.
HAHAHA
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: A drive in a ST-162, A Glorious day!!!!!!! Sat, 17 January 2004 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got my eye on a st-162 myself atm
How much was this SX going for?
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: A drive in a ST-162, A Glorious day!!!!!!! Tue, 20 January 2004 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camry_omega wrote on Sat, 17 January 2004 20:23

I've got my eye on a st-162 myself atm
How much was this SX going for?

This one with 200,000kms and very good condition all round was going for $7500, but he said he'd do $5000, i could have got him down to $4500 i reckon too..

Regards
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: A drive in a ST-162, A Glorious day!!!!!!! Tue, 20 January 2004 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive seen these bastards go for $3000 in the tradingpost at times ive also seen a slightly bumped one at the auctions go for $500 keep your eyes pelled when buying cars :0) and now u all know why ive owned many cars Razz
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: A drive in a ST-162, A Glorious day!!!!!!! Tue, 20 January 2004 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$7500????!!!!! Surprised Surprised

Who was he kidding? Sheesh. I wouldnt pay over $5k for one unless it was in very good nick. Like robst162's. I reckon that one is worth close to $7k.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: A drive in a ST-162, A Glorious day!!!!!!! Tue, 20 January 2004 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thank you... Smile thank you very much Very Happy

I would only pay 7k if it was something special Wink
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: A drive in a ST-162, A Glorious day!!!!!!! Wed, 24 March 2004 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe, i bought my first one for $1300 :D:D:D
nothing wrong except faded paint
i love old ppl Very Happy
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: A drive in a ST-162, A Glorious day!!!!!!! Mon, 12 April 2004 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
praetor did I see you in Carlingford like sunday night?
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: A drive in a ST-162, A Glorious day!!!!!!! Wed, 14 April 2004 01:39 Go to previous message
I wish, car is still off the road.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:me vs gtr godzilla
Next Topic:idiot driver
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 23:26:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.17171502113342 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.