Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
JZA70_R
Regular

December 2003

JZA70/GA70/MA70 drift Tue, 23 December 2003 11:14 Go to next message
Does anyone drift their Mk3 supras or have tried? how have you guys got your car setup? and also have you done anything engine wise?
  Send a private message to this user    
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: JZA70/GA70/MA70 drift Tue, 23 December 2003 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why waste a good car on that shit... buy a sprinter/falcon/commodore/180sx/silvia of you want to do crap like that

ITS STUPID, not a "sport" is called overstear learn how to drive the car properly/quickly/safely/smartly on a track

if you take notice is the jap version of smash up derbies once a car is old and disposeable "drift it"

Are you geting neons and coloured flames for your exhaust too?

/rant
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: JZA70/GA70/MA70 drift Tue, 23 December 2003 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ps - the mk3 is a bit of a barge and parts are expensive to be turned into a drift pig
japs use the 180/silvia because they're light, and when they (inevitably) crash, parts are cheap
ViNcEnXo
Regular

July 2003
Re: JZA70/GA70/MA70 drift Tue, 23 December 2003 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So they repair them cheap and throw em away, then bought by dori dori wannabes here.
SUPRA MAN
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: JZA70/GA70/MA70 drift Tue, 23 December 2003 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Wed, 24 December 2003 00:10

Why waste a good car on that shit... buy a sprinter/falcon/commodore/180sx/silvia of you want to do crap like that

ITS STUPID, not a "sport" is called overstear learn how to drive the car properly/quickly/safely/smartly on a track

if you take notice is the jap version of smash up derbies once a car is old and disposeable "drift it"

/rant

Drifting is more of an art, than a sport, and I back it 100% because that is what I love to do. I have had pics published in car magazines of me drifting my MA70 Turbo-A Supra, and I love it. Dont be so negative, just accept that different people like different things.

I have just imported a 1JZGTE MZ20 to use now as my company drift/track/show car, and you would be quite surprised as to how well it performs.

Kristian
Japanese Import Parts
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: JZA70/GA70/MA70 drift Tue, 23 December 2003 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Everyone has such a negative view of drifting...
Beats me why you all get your nickers in a knot everytime the word is mentioned.
I love watching it, it's up their on the most interesting motorsport (or whatever it is classed as, art maybe) IMHO. Much prefer to watch it than say the V8 supercars. Like Supra Man said, everyone likes different things, accept it.

Sorry JZA70_R I cannot help with your question though.

Cheers
Joel
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: JZA70/GA70/MA70 drift Wed, 24 December 2003 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Don't take this personally, but you come across like a real knob sometimes. The guy just asked a question. I don't really like "drifting" either, but it's a legitimate question on an automotive forum - the following in Japan reinforces the validity of his question.

He did not ask "how do I make my car LOOK like a drift car", he asked how to make it drift better. That's fine in my book.

In answer to the question:

I think that an MA70/JZA70 Supra could make a very good drift car despite the fact that they are a more luxo machine. Gobs of torque, easy power increases, a strong factory diff and gearbox, all tied in by a relatively stiff chassis on a long wheelbase with extremely responsive and close-ratio steering.

Main negatives:

* need a mechanical LSD - the Toyota ones are crap and if you do lots of burnouts/drift then it will wear out before too long.
* cooling issues - 7M's are sketchy from factory, I'd hate to think what big revs and low speds do for them. Perhaps look for an aftermarket radiator/intercooler/oil cooler combo.

Suspension-wise... I don't really know much about drifting but I'm sure someone will. At a guess I'd say stiffen it up as much as you can (particularly the rear) and dial in as much negative camber as humanly possible... you're onto a good start then.

[Updated on: Wed, 24 December 2003 00:47]

c2888
Regular

May 2002

Re: JZA70/GA70/MA70 drift Wed, 24 December 2003 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AU taxi pack wheels bolt on Very Happy
My friend does some pretty neat slides and links in his supra, but the police don't like him Razz
Oh yeah, it's a Automatic too.
Supras are far too nice to slide, but hey, it's not my car.

Daniel
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: JZA70/GA70/MA70 drift Wed, 24 December 2003 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7M-Brisbane wrote on Wed, 24 December 2003 11:44

Don't take this personally, but you come across like a real knob sometimes. The guy just asked a question. I don't really like "drifting" either, but it's a legitimate question on an automotive forum - the following in Japan reinforces the validity of his question.

He did not ask "how do I make my car LOOK like a drift car", he asked how to make it drift better. That's fine in my book.

Don't take this personally, but i think your a dickhead too!

7M-Brisbane wrote on Wed, 24 December 2003 11:44

In answer to the question:

Main negatives:

* need a mechanical LSD - the Toyota ones are crap and if you do lots of burnouts/drift then it will wear out before too long.

Nahh just weld the diff up Razz
Quote:

* cooling issues - 7M's are sketchy from factory, I'd hate to think what big revs and low speds do for them. Perhaps look for an aftermarket radiator/intercooler/oil cooler combo.

You gotta be kidding! the ma70 cooling system is overkill when in decent condition ie less money on "Pineapples" for your suspension and more on decent coolent and a system flush

You drive the car hard you have to expect to service it more often!

It amazes me how people go out and buy a sports car that handles then go and tune the suspension like a v8 powered sedan of the 70's and call throwing the ass around "art"

c2888 wrote

My friend does some pretty neat slides and links in his supra, but the police don't like him

yenda has 2 defect notices in the month since he has had the car yeah?

SUPRA MAN wrote

Drifting is more of an art, than a sport, and I back it 100% because that is what I love to do. I have had pics published in car magazines of me drifting my MA70 Turbo-A Supra, and I love it. Dont be so negative, just accept that different people like different things.

yeah thing is i like racing but if i want to do it ill goto a track rather then give people who enjoy there cars a bad name by doing it on public roads

Do your thing at a track get lots of fully sik drift wings and over-sized turbos that spool at 5000 revs to chuck that ass end out more i'll be more then happy.

But promote it as "art"/"sport" and do it leaving a shopping center you can crap on all you like its a disgrace to motor sport and makes it harder to own a modifyed car each year.

Allan

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: JZA70/GA70/MA70 drift Wed, 24 December 2003 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
'Drifting' really is a word to inspire people to rabbit on a bit ain't it Evil or Very Mad Thing is, throwing a car around IS good fun, but when seriously incompetant fools congregate in shopping centres and try to show off, it really is awful... I guess it's a bit like S13s - they're not really such a bad little car, but the whole 'image' and what not is one of the reasons I'll never own one...

It also seems that many of the 'circuit racing' type of people tend to get a bit uptight in their own little way too. What we need is for modified car owners to ALL learn to tolerate each other!

And for my little snap, touring car racing lost all it's interest the day group A died - f'r crying out loud CONTROL TYRES???

[Updated on: Wed, 24 December 2003 23:29]

7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: JZA70/GA70/MA70 drift Thu, 25 December 2003 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Don't take this personally, but i think your a dickhead too!

Grow up and settle down, it's Christmas. Unlike your little effort, I did not make a personal insult. I just stated that you come across like a knob sometimes - a fact which you have managed to reaffirm quite nicely.

Don't let me stop you from living out your own little Allan in Wonderland story where you are always right. I'm sorry that my opinions are different to yours, and if presenting them with reasonable argument on a public forum makes me a dickhead, then I guess I'm guilty.

Oh, and the word you were looking for is you're not your. This word, which you may be unfamiliar with, is a combination of the words you and are. Try it some time, you may find it to your liking. Rolling Eyes

Goons like you scare off all the people with post-Primary education that may on occasion have useful input. And yes, I just called you a goon. Merry Christmas.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: JZA70/GA70/MA70 drift Thu, 25 December 2003 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i believe allan just got OWNED!
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: JZA70/GA70/MA70 drift Thu, 25 December 2003 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kiddies. Please. Cool
JZA70_R
Regular

December 2003

Re: JZA70/GA70/MA70 drift Thu, 25 December 2003 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, 1, I too like the V8's and watch them each time they come to barbagallo raceway.

2, I also like track racing, and many other motorsports, speedway, autocross, rallying and yes drifting.

3, Another thing, drifting IS a sport ever heard of D1??? and who drifts falcons and commodores?

4, I asked a question on how some1 would set up their mk3 supra, not what your opion of drifting was.

5, I love my car and love to have some fun in it, and getting out on the track. thanks for your input 7m and supraman and others.

6, I've also noticed that allan has watch 2f2f good for you, plus most of the drift cars leave out most of that crap and just have it dumped, no wings, no neons, mild kit, they are not autosalon cars as you think... oh and merry christmas
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: JZA70/GA70/MA70 drift Thu, 25 December 2003 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd say the usual suspension mods need to be done.

Coilovers with good sprinbg and shock rates with FIRM valvings.

dont bother playing with sway bars

camber kits, and wind in some castor if you can.

LSD as someone mentioned, get a nice 2 way, a decent clutch also.

that should keep you going for a while Wink
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: JZA70/GA70/MA70 drift Thu, 25 December 2003 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No im just bored and happend to find some worthy stiring Smile

Shurely got a whole heap of people worked up and get some action on here Evil or Very Mad

"Don't take this personally, but i think your a dickhead too!"

mooohhahahahha

Too easy

Allan Go's to watch fast and furious again Shocked
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: JZA70/GA70/MA70 drift Thu, 25 December 2003 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
By the way what is it with gramma bitchs? someone got a school teacher issues un-resolved Smile

Allan
Yenda
Occasional Poster

July 2002
Re: JZA70/GA70/MA70 drift Fri, 02 January 2004 12:50 Go to previous message
JZA70_R wrote on Thu, 25 December 2003 18:26

Ok, 1, I too like the V8's and watch them each time they come to barbagallo raceway.

2, I also like track racing, and many other motorsports, speedway, autocross, rallying and yes drifting.

3, Another thing, drifting IS a sport ever heard of D1??? and who drifts falcons and commodores?

4, I asked a question on how some1 would set up their mk3 supra, not what your opion of drifting was.

5, I love my car and love to have some fun in it, and getting out on the track. thanks for your input 7m and supraman and others.

6, I've also noticed that allan has watch 2f2f good for you, plus most of the drift cars leave out most of that crap and just have it dumped, no wings, no neons, mild kit, they are not autosalon cars as you think... oh and merry christmas

hey sorry to bring back old thread but I thought I might answer you , since the other people in these channel don't understand what that is.
the car naturally drifts nicely, considering it has torque and an lsd. don't start doing suspension work and other mods until you can slide around your car with no fear... it will make you a lot better when you do get ur suspension mods..

for dry drifting you need a bit more power than stock. minor mods and your fine
one problem is that if you bend panels it WILL be expensive, so take it easy and push only when you feel comfortable...

yes I did get 2 canaries in 1 month, they were sorta worth it Smile

ps. Allan is one of those guys that thinks drags are safer.
HI I THINK GOING 150KM DOWN PRINCESS HIGHWAY IS SAFE

[Updated on: Fri, 02 January 2004 12:51]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ae92 strut braces
Next Topic:1976 ta23 wiring diagram
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 10:18:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049221515655518 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.