Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Members Rides » Dodgy Haro's Panda AE86 Final Update! She's been *** SOLD ***

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Dodgy Haro's Panda AE86 Final Update! She's been *** SOLD *** Thu, 19 June 2003 10:15 Go to next message
Hmmm ... lots of pics been posted but here they are again with some info:

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Car2.JPG

Details for the curious: Cool

CAR:
1983 Toyota Sprinter Chassis AE860002501
Bought for $2,600 originally brown with 264,000 km's

ENGINE:
Conversion by Robin Berado of Perfourmance Motorsports including fitment of AE86 Bluetop motor, Jap spec T-50 gearbox, rear AE86 disc brake open diff, one piece custom tail shaft, custom mandrel bent 2" exhaust with 3" tip:

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/4AGE%20Engine.JPG

BRAKES:
Rear jap spec AE86 disc brakes + DBA slotted rotors at the front with bendix metal king pads all round.

SUSPENSION:
Full set-up by Fulcrum Suspensions consisting of whiteline swaybars, urethane bushes, AE86 bump stops, koni shocks and formula springs.

ALLOYS:

Red 14" Black Racing watanabe look-alikes
http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/BR1.JPG

Black 15" SSR-like Mesh wheels
http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Mesh2.JPG

Silver 15" Speedy Mystique 2 alloys
http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Ken5.JPG

STEREO:
Installation by Ares Speed consisting of JVC Mp3 head unit, Pioneer 3 way 5 1/4" speakers, Sony Explode 200W 4 channel amp and 10" Kicker Sub

INTERIOR:
Momo driving wheel, Sparco 5mm boss extension, Autotecnica boss kit, Autotecnica gearknob and Autotecnica seats.

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Momo2.JPG
http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Seats3.JPG

EXTERIOR:
Panda paint scheme by DMD the Image, Ken Streeter front & rear spoilers, Levin air slot grill, Levin kouki tail lights

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Ken1.JPG
http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Ken4.JPG

FUTURE MODS:

1) Rebuild early gen AE92 big port motor - has TVIS but 7 rib block with stronger internals

2) Fitment of webber Carbs unless my mechanic buys them off me first

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Weber.JPG

3) Holy grail - fitment of LSD unit ... KAAZ units still available brand new for $1,800 excluding fitment ...

4) Paint that darn engine bay at last!

[Updated on: Fri, 02 September 2005 11:58]

Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Thu, 19 June 2003 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice car. You ever get around the northside?

BTW, you need to edit one of thoses pictures. Dump the "FTP" bit.
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Sun, 22 June 2003 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heh heh ... yeah I noticed that Embarassed but you posted b4 I could fix it.

I'm more south-side based ... you'll probably find me hanging out with the guys at Ultra Tune at Sunnybank most Saturdays if I've got nothing better to do ... Confused

shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Thu, 03 July 2003 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice car haro..

BTW: what color code white did you use? Or from which car should I say (if any)..

rock on.
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Thu, 03 July 2003 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much did your conversion cost?

They couldve given you new hoses and covered the wires and chh.

Im just fussy.

looks nice though they r rwd ay?

My mates got a rwd starlet with an efi k motor its a drift machine Laughing
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Thu, 03 July 2003 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the comments ppl. Smile

Shcao, um ... dunno ... all I can tell you is that it is 2 pac paint. Probably doesn't matter as both white and black contrast each other so much that it pulls off the Panda effect regardless of the particular paint code used. Confused

Still, the paint is of a tinted (as opposed to solid) type no doubt used to keep costs down.

Who'd believe though that the pic was taken even before the car had a wash? Sometime's it's too glossy for my digital cam:

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Car1.JPG

Let me know if you ever decide to go with the Panda scheme ... I can be a useful reference point.

As for the conversion coronamark2, much more than expected. Sad

Close to $5.5k but it was a bit more than the usual engine upgrade - extra $$$ went to the following items / parts:

1) rear Jap spec AE86 open diff with disc brakes
2) reconditioning rear diff
3) getting new rear disc rotors
4) getting custom 1 piece tailshaft
5) getting a 2nd motor - yes, the first motor that went in had a knock so I had no choice but to get a 2nd engine and swap it around from FWD to RWD. Mad At least I can laugh now looking back.

Will hopefully be getting my new mechanic to recondition / rebuild the other 4AG engine I have this Saturday. Difference this time is that it'd be at mate's rates so hopefully will be a lot cheaper.

All I can say is that unless you know how to do the work or lack tools, it'd be handy to have a mechanic you can both trust and be good mates with.

BTW, there ain't that many RWD starlets in Australia - only one I know of is Bill Sherwood's one although that is yet to be running on the road. Rolling Eyes

I'd luv one as well - saw an 80's Option video once and there was a KP61 Starlet drifting in it.

[Updated on: Fri, 03 October 2003 14:34]

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Sun, 06 July 2003 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh sooo nice dodgy

when i get mine here
ill be driving back to brissie to see my friends and lay a few down at the track with my mate in his PRB

we should get together with all the other brissie 86 people
and do a photo shoot with my 3.2MP camera
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Sun, 06 July 2003 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Mon, 07 July 2003 01:55

when i get mine here
ill be driving back to brissie to see my friends and lay a few down at the track with my mate in his PRB

Maaaattttttee, good buddy ol pal Very Happy
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Mon, 07 July 2003 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool doode ... let me know when you're coming up - late August rite?

If my car's not out having it's new motor put in, then I'll round up the Sprinter troop for a photo shoot or something. Am sure that Speedcore's demon will be ready by then as well.

Keep me updated!
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Thu, 10 July 2003 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my bro is working for anthony now

haha
hes got all the goss (i know the seeklets)

will you be going to anthony for yours too?
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon10.gif  Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Thu, 10 July 2003 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked Shocked God!!! It really is a small world!! Very Happy
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Fri, 11 July 2003 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doode ... do you realise that the word re AK's ability to meet deadlines or send products is getting around, even as far as the Philippines? Confused

http://garagedori.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57

Never met him but I know he has done some interesting conversions on AE86's. Perhaps the only guy that has done many a 20 valve conversion on an AE86.

I'm actually getting a close mate to do the dirty work for me - at least I know what goes in and I'm actually there to see what's going on.

For some reason, I've got an aversion to 20 valves & 4AGZE's - I prefer the simpler nature of a 4AGE for some bizzare reason. Rolling Eyes
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Sat, 12 July 2003 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dodgy_Haro wrote on Sat, 12 July 2003 00:39

Doode ... do you realise that the word re AK's ability to meet deadlines or send products is getting around, even as far as the Philippines? Confused

Laughing That is extremely funny.. And I don't think I'll say any more Laughing
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Sat, 12 July 2003 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive been told hes slow to finish but does the job right.. apparently the workshop is a disaster zone too Very Happy

my bros is helping him out now, and hes good at cleaning shit up
hahaha

although he keeps telling me about this cetain red ae86....
heh

oh and does this mean your going the 4AGE 100KW redtop conversion?

ive heard that a ae92 block wih a jap 86 head is the best coupling

an ae92 "7 rib" block with the small port ae86 "revvy" head on it

[Updated on: Sat, 12 July 2003 05:00]

Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Sat, 12 July 2003 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Sat, 12 July 2003 14:56

oh and does this mean your going the 4AGE 100KW redtop conversion?

ive heard that a ae92 block wih a jap 86 head is the best coupling

an ae92 "7 rib" block with the small port ae86 "revvy" head on it

Well, latest update today - Riceboy and I stayed to keep my mechanic company today as he stripped the motor apart. The good news is that the motor hasn't travelled far (head's clean along with valves etc) - about 40 to 50k's but it has been neglected somewhat.

Still, it's the perfect base for a rebuild and I guess things couldn't get any better. Very Happy

FWIW, it's not a small port motor that I'm rebuilding rather the 2nd and last generation of big port motors which only came in early generation AE92's. Basically the same specs as a normal bigport 'bluetop' motor with TVIS but with the addition of a 7 rib block + stronger internals.

We're keeping it under budget ATM so all I can afford for now is some polishing & refreshing / balancing of internals and ligthening of the flywheel. However, later mods as budgets permit may include adjustable cam gears, cams & perhaps aftermarket ECU. At least the motor won't have to come out again for all these mods.

As for AK, yeah ... I also know of a certain Red Devil in AK's workshop that's been there a while since last year - however, that is Speedie's secret and I am told that he will devour anyone who lets it out until he gives the official word. Evil or Very Mad
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Fri, 18 July 2003 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I see this car in this months Hot4's Very Happy
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Fri, 18 July 2003 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heh heh ... I'm half proud / half ashamed ... Confused

Actually, the pics were submitted late Feb 03 and then forgotten. It was just a 'what the heck, we'll see if it gets published' sort of moments.

Just waiting for me club to arrive in the mail now ... Very Happy

[Updated on: Wed, 23 July 2003 12:55]

Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Sat, 19 July 2003 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Was this the car that was in the readers rides section???
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Sat, 19 July 2003 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sure is Very Happy
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Sat, 19 July 2003 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a feeling it was gunna be a Toymods car...

I was gunna scan the pic and paragraph and post it up... This just saved me some time Smile Smile Smile ...
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Sun, 20 July 2003 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You should still scan and post the article
Would be a good read, and would also save me having to find a newsagents with it Razz
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Sun, 20 July 2003 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here it is just for you...

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TQAdA*cXnLkvUIAzhCrV8TZO8bRgxkeMxRHN0V3PU*OzpGxpNpNHqkCe2ykWCP8NcoNhmfZhJ9KIZVEkl5TAE142nRuSX0jq5l1g5TQxOlrrzS6dL!hO1w/Sprinting%20Panda.jpg?dc=4675431038739953767
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Wed, 23 July 2003 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers doode. Very Happy

Still, it's amazing how Hot 4'S completely change what you submit to them ... and by the time it's published, already the suspension, spoilers, new wheels, seats & stereo have gone on.

Hmmm ... hopefully the new 4AG engine'll be in by the time Jamboree comes around ... Confused

[Updated on: Wed, 23 July 2003 12:55]

Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Wed, 23 July 2003 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What did you actually write???

What did they change???
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Wed, 23 July 2003 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolla Boy wrote on Wed, 23 July 2003 18:17

What did they change???

Nah ... it wasn't anything like a Current Affairs - I basically gave them a detailed description of the car but obviously you can't include / write everything in the short space.

They did a good job though as it kept the general 'feel' of what I told them however here's a shameless plug for Dom from DMD for the Panda paintjob. Smile
Willy86
Regular

May 2002
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Wed, 30 July 2003 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ha Ha Cool!
I saw that too Very Happy Readers Rides. Nice one Dodgy.
Just as long as you dont send youre girlfriend into
"Readers Wives" Laughing
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Thu, 31 July 2003 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or could that g/f submission still be called "readers rides"??? Laughing Laughing Laughing ...

*****hopes my g/f doesn't read this*****
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Thu, 31 July 2003 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bet she would be pissed off if you refered to her as your Weekender only!! Rolling Eyes
Green_Comet
Regular

August 2003
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Sat, 02 August 2003 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice car Haro,
i just got a sprinter couple days ago. I think the panda theme looks cool how much did a paint job like that cost ya? im thinking of getting it done! are those the original grey bumpers that have been sprayed?
looks cool anywyas man.
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Sat, 02 August 2003 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heh heh ... my other half already has a hard time competing with the Panda but fortunately she's very understanding. The car's the weekend toy, not the other way around otherwise it's lonely driver nites again ... Laughing

As for the paintjob, I was fortunate enough to get DMD to do it for $3k in 2 pac B&W paint. Other places quoted at least $4.5k or so however in all cases, this involved no prep work on my part.

You can cut costs down by preparing the car yourself. Even then, chances are whoever you approach will not have done a Panda paintjob before so you are really relying on the quality of their workmanship. Guess I was lucky ... Smile
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Sat, 02 August 2003 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dodgy_Haro wrote on Sun, 03 August 2003 00:21

not the other way around otherwise it's lonely driver nites again ... Laughing

Hey it wouldn't be so different from your sig now would it!!

"Reminds me of those days in the shower alone... together"

Very Happy
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Sun, 03 August 2003 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hahahahaha!!!!!!!
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Sun, 03 August 2003 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heh heh Speedie ... u crack me up ... Embarassed

Yeah ... some of the things ppl say after a couple of drinks whilst doing an anime dub brings back fond memories ... bwa hah ha hah ... Laughing

Seriously though, I'm just waiting for your Red Devil to hit the member's rides forums ... get AK crackin'!
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Tue, 05 August 2003 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dodgy

say i have a recently sprayed 2-pak white ae86 (all bumpers painted, the whole ar is white, bleugh)

how much u rekon to do the black over the top of the white?

its not much paint but its pretty fiddly, so how much u rekon?
what could i do to prepae it?
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Tue, 05 August 2003 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In theory, it could work but I doubt you'd get the finish you're looking for - afterall, if you're spending that amount of $$$ on a car, don't cut corners by going for a cheap job.

I don't know much about painting but one would assume that with use, the white paint would have come into contact with the road dirt & atmosphere in Japan and therefore will be somewhat contaminated - ppl reckon your paint starts to detiorate as soon as your car leaves the showroom floor / painters.

Also, I've heard that ppl may apply a gloss layer to seal in the paint and give it that shine. If that's the case, painting black over it may not go too well. I don't think mine had one given that it's 2 pac (which is glossy anyway).

Also, it depends on what your white is done in - acryllic or 2 pac paint etc and whether your paint would stick onto the one beneath. Mine is both 2 pac black and white so they'll stick. Not sure whether acryllic would stick on 2 pac & vice versa.

Your best bet to get a show room finish is to strip it back a layer at least and start from scratch. Painting black on it will work from a distance but ppl can tell you cut corners on the paint when they examine it upfront.

I have cut corners on mine but since it was never meant to be a show car, it never really bothered me as it still looks great.

You may be better off going for a colour scheme like the Drift King's AE86 - much better than a Trueno Panda which instantly labels most ppl as Initial D wannabe's although that wouldn't bother me. Very Happy

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Red9.JPG
http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Red11.JPG

[Updated on: Fri, 03 October 2003 14:35]

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Wed, 06 August 2003 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay so

1. what do i do to prepare the car for the paint job?
  2. how much did your whole job costs from start to finish?
  3. how LONG did it take to do? whats the quickest amount of time a paint job can be done?
  4. what paint codes did you use?
  5. do you need special paint for the bumpers?
  6. what is the most costly part of the job (labour wise) i can cut out by doing it myself?
  7. when you say strip back a layer? do you mean doing a full cut? or a sanding job?
  8. does anyone know a good spray place in the south sydney area (round arncliffe)?

that about sums it up
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Thu, 07 August 2003 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Thu, 07 August 2003 01:41

what do i do to prepare the car for the paint job?

Depends on how far you want to go ... remove tail lights, mouldings, bumpers, mirrors etc etc - the less work the painters have to do, you will save. Best discuss with them a price first.

Quote:

how much did your whole job costs from start to finish?

$3K all up - this was exceptional as no prep work by me, just drive in drive out. Only thing not painted was engine bay. Other places quoted $4.5-$5K on average.

Bear in mind my car had NO rust to be attended to ...

Quote:

how LONG did it take to do? whats the quickest amount of time a paint job can be done?

I gave them 4 weeks and it was done in that time - however I noticed they only got off their butts into the 3rd week or so. Depends on how good your painter is at meeting deadlines.

Quote:

what paint codes did you use?

Black and white gloss - no specific requirement other than it had to be glossy 2 pac ...

Quote:

do you need special paint for the bumpers?

Not sure - they painted it, I just paid them however it appears to be the same paint.

Quote:

what is the most costly part of the job (labour wise) i can cut out by doing it myself?

Disassembling the car and removing any rust I think.

Quote:

when you say strip back a layer? do you mean doing a full cut? or a sanding job?

You could paint over the existing paint although that is cheapskate - normal resprays will at least include stripping back a layer of paint. Most paintshops do this by applying a paint remover and then scrapping it off.

You can go for a bare metal respray which strips things right down to the metal but you're looking at something over $5K then.

Quote:

does anyone know a good spray place in the south sydney area (round arncliffe)?

Dunno - best to visit several paintshops like I did, see their showcars, see if you 'like' / trust whoever deals with you etc etc. Only then will you be able to make an informed decision as to who to go with.

Other than that, remember that paintjobs aren't cheap and you get what you pay for.

Good luck!
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Sun, 07 September 2003 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just a couple more pics from different angles FWIW ...

Use either as a wallpaper or reference for that Panda paintjob. Smile

Enjoy:

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Panda.JPG
http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Panda1.JPG
http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Panda2.JPG

[Updated on: Fri, 03 October 2003 14:37]

shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Wed, 10 September 2003 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toyota used a specific paint code on their panda ae86s...
it seems to be more of an off white.. almost like a racing white. I've seen it in real life, and also, have you noticed on initial d battle stage, the car is more 'yellow' than the others?

Dodgy. BTW, that panda scheme is really good. I see you got that little "swoosh" bit beneath the rear lights (side profile) correct. A lof of people get it wrong.... I know at least a couple of guys on this forum who've screwed up... (one of them drives a trueno Rolling Eyes ).

The wheels arches are also correct too. That's another place where MANY MANY people screw up..

good job allround mate.
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Sat, 13 September 2003 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the comments Shcao ... you wouldn't believe the amount of AE86 handbooks I had to acquire to make sure I got the side lines correct. However, so many AE86's are done Panda style these days that even I doubt if the ones I see in my books were originally painted straight out of the factory.

Apparently the person who applied the paint worked at Jaguar before in their paint booths and has had many years of experience so was competent in following instructions & photo's in all the books I handed to him.

The only part I concede that I may have gotten wrong is the front bumper. Comparing mine with the factory brochure below - notice how the front sides come down more besides the indicators in the brochure?

http://members.iinet.net.au/~jar1/rwdcorolla_files/ae86cat.jpg

Still, I prefer the way I've done mine as it has a cleaner look.

As for the paint, I didn't specifically ask for any Toyota colours nor did I attempt to replicate the paint colour by getting the right factory codes. I just asked for 2 pac gloss black and white because I wanted a glossy look that makes the car look brand new. You won't believe how much a transformation it makes. Smile

Lastly, I am down-sizing my rims to 14" so if anyone comes across a pair of deep dish alloys either similar to the front ones in the pic below (Longchamps) or match it well (either Volk TE37, Watanabe's or Hayashi's), get in touch with me.

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Longchamp.JPG

P.S. Before I get a flood of email like last time, a mate has first dibs on the 15" black mesh rims if I ever do decide to part with them but that won't even happen until a suitable pair for the rear is found ... Razz

[Updated on: Fri, 03 October 2003 14:39]

shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Sun, 14 September 2003 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe... Haro, you must be pleased to see that your 'eye for detail' on the 86 hasn't gone unappreciated hey Smile
you'll have to excuse a lot of people for thinking a panda is simply a panda...

I reckon a set of 15 inch mesh rims in silver would really suit your levin.

Something similar to that nice trueno with no rego in melbourne had. His car was really really nice. If that car wasn't originally a panda from japan, he's paint respray was really close to original (like yours).

His rims were nice, but it really didn't match the trueno (watanabes would've suited it more). I reckon meshes give levin's a more classic 'muscly' look. Trueno's should look a little more 'hi tech' and hence, the rims.

rock on.
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Raid the Datsun coffers! Sat, 01 November 2003 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
S'kay ... been a while since I updated my AE86 project thread. First of, another obligatory wallpaper pic of the panda for the fans:

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Sunny1.JPG

Realise there are lots of huge pics so I apologise to all those still on 56k dial-up ... Confused

Next up, here is a lesson - never park your car in public car parks for extended periods. Wish I could say that this was drift damage for some cred but unfortunately this was just a careless P plater who parked too close behind the bugger. Mad

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Scratch1.JPG
http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Scratch2.JPG
http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Scratch3.JPG

At least the incident happened right in front of my eyes so I caught the culprit's rego and I have several witnesses as back up. Just Cars Insurance has been good enough to say that if the other party's not insured, they'll still pay me out first for the damage and then seek to recover from the other party as I wasn't at fault. Just got my letter of demand in the post yesterday so fingers crossed for an early & easy settlement.

It's a real pain chasing up the other party, getting quotes and more time spent with panel beaters fixing it but at least the bumper will be resprayed again and will look better than before. Twisted Evil

The bizzare thing was that the cops gave me the other driver's home details without even taking mine nor taking my rego plate etc. Was tempted to pay a little visit forehand but I guess common sense prevailed in the end (as opposed to road rage).

Next, here is another lesson for those looking for Sprinter wheels - try Datsun wheels! Finally succumbed to a nice set of 14" from a Datsun specialist today for a cheap price. Am stoked as they are the usual deep dish sort with mesh.

I'll have to polish them and remove the nissan centre caps. Unfortunately they are only 6 inch wide however they'll still allow me to run 185/60/14's rubber as I originally intended. The weird thing is that they are made in England but are still really light. Came right off the shop owner's own 240Z and look the part IMO. Surprised

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Dat1.JPG
http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Dat2.JPG

Me thinks that the car would look really tough now with the gold mesh wheels and a carbon fibre bonnet. Guess that will be left for later once the bumper is fixed and the new engine goes in.

Unfortunately, no pics of the engine yet as it's still being assembled - early gen AE92 4AG so it's a big port but with 7 rib block. At the moment, the engine has been cleaned up ready for assembly.

Some of the mods done to date include:
- polished head
- TRD metal head gasket
- lightened flywheel (down to 6kg from memory)
- 100kw Red top crank
- balanced internals

I'll update the thread yet again when I have pics of the new engine. Cheers! Very Happy
Sprinta
Regular

September 2002
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Tue, 04 November 2003 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe its just me but it looked the best with the black mesh setup you had going before Smile
Not a fan of those current ones, but dont take it the wrong way, still sweet car Smile
driftae86
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Wed, 05 November 2003 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gotta say that im not a fan of those red watanabe look-alikes. Confused

everything else is sweet though Smile
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Sun, 09 November 2003 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers for the comments ... I miss my red watanabe copies as they had so much character. They now belong to 4AG-AE86 who I believe has painted them black and may be using them on his recently acquired 4AGZE Sprinter. Very Happy

Black mesh looks tough but the gold ones have grown onto me. Finally fitted some brand new Sumitomo 185/60/14's yesterday and here's the final product:

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Goldie.JPG

Will have pics of the engine build later in the week hopefully when I get off my ass. Also, re the bumper damage, the other party informed that they'll be paying the cost to fix it so my life can go on now ... Smile
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon14.gif  Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Sun, 09 November 2003 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phwar!!! Now that looks nice man.

Looks like you just had enough sunlight to take a pic after washing the old girl! Very Happy

PS: Good news about the other people coughing up!
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Mon, 10 November 2003 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ooohh its very nice Very Happy
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Mon, 10 November 2003 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice man...

i liked the old black mesh ones better
but these have a nice touch Smile

good to hear about the bumper

Smile)

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Mon, 10 November 2003 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
14's are so much tougher than 15!

muahaha

i loove my 14x7.4 watan's

dished for drifts
mrsoopra
Regular

July 2002
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Wed, 12 November 2003 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dodgy you done a mad job with this car man.. Just thought i'd tell you again!!! haha.. Hmm those carbies look familiar. Very Happy
All the best , good to hear the bumper is gettin fixed.

Cheers

Gaz
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Fri, 14 November 2003 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah ... glad you like the wheels fellas! They look even better in person. Very Happy

Am considering getting some harder springs and lowering it slightly to get that nice looking profile (although it looks good already).

Funny how you take a break but my AE86 project seems to have gained momentum once again ... maybe because of my new job and more $$$ ... oh no, the nightmare begins again! Laughing

First up, I decided to spoil myself by purchasing off Ebay a set of brand new adjustable cam gears from America. With the $AUD so low, the whole cost set me back only $180 AUD for these beauties which should arrive next week:

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/10057419/Images/bomz_camgear.jpg

That should hopefully solve the dull timing problem I've been experiencing. Such gears will be going into the engine which is soon to be painted and put together. Basically an old 1st generation AE92 engine (big port with 7 rib block) which I got from JMS as a replacement a long time ago.

Heads have been polished, flywheel lightened to around 6.7kgs, TRD metal gasket, 100kw crank (initial one was cracked), balanced internals, new rings + gaskets etc etc.

My precious ...
http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Neweng1.JPG
http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Neweng2.JPG
http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Neweng3.JPG

Finally, I came across the twin sister of me panda tonite - the real McCoy at last! The boys at Autoshop Imports at Moorooka finally got in their Panda levin hatchback so I had a chance to finally witness a real genuine Panda Levin.

Wasn't in as good nick as mine with a couple of rust spots and some drift damage to the left rear fender but I was glad that the paint job was identical to the real thing. Surprised

Some pics:

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Sister1.JPG
http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Sister2.JPG

Guess that's it for the update for now ... will be looking at an exhaust upgrade to some straight thru Lukey mufflers as well.

Drive safe everyone!
driftae86
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Sat, 15 November 2003 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ha ha Very Happy

thats cool dude, they look exactly the same.

good to see some real panda paintjobs, unlike those fake ones

(damn fake paintjobs Smile )

[Updated on: Sat, 15 November 2003 09:54]

79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Sat, 15 November 2003 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i can't say that i like the original watanabes in red but i love the 32 spokers on it later, i definetely want one, how do they drift? are they fast in a straight line?
royal
Regular

October 2003
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Thu, 27 November 2003 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what happen to all the pic that is on this thread???

i think i missed out! Sad
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Dodgy Haro's AE86 - Da Panda is Cruizin' Thu, 11 December 2003 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
royal wrote on Thu, 27 November 2003 17:02

what happen to all the pic that is on this thread???

i think i missed out! Sad

Ah yes ... the amount of pictures on this thread is becoming ridiculous but I'm a picture whorer ... Very Happy Even on broadband, my thread takes a while to load up so be patient ... Smile

Anyway, time for another update ... lots have been happening.

First up, I finally had the chance to take the car onto the track couple of weekends ago ... all I can say is that it was FUN! Evil or Very Mad

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Track1.JPG

Can't drift to save my life but I certainly had a lot of fun punting the car around. This was how the car looked like after a lot of spin-outs ...

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Track2.JPG

Suspension needs a lot of work - too much understeering at the moment so I'll have to have a good think on this but have good mates to help.

Next up, finally got my money off the other party to fix my bumper. So, 1 week later and she's all back to normal - time to get on with my life.

Also, the cam gears finally arrived however they didn't turn out to be quite the bargain as first perceived. Here's why ...

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Cam1.JPG

Despite being classed as 4AG cams, they actually sat about 4mm closer to the head than the normal cams. Dunno if there are any differences in 4AG cams but it is possible that these are for either a 20 valve or 4AGZE but not a standard blue top?

Obstacles aside, I decided not to send them back (them shiny blue discs are just so cool) so I shelled out some extra $$$ to machine them further to make them sit better. Cost a bit more than first planned but think it was all worth it in the end as they fit well now.

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Cam2.JPG

These have now gone onto the engine which has slowly been put back together over the past fortnight. The cam covers are being painted at the moment but here is the engine block waiting to be put in:

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Build1.JPG

Note the big port head on the 7 rib block.

The engine has certainly come a long way from a year ago when it was sitting in my GF's shed ... can't believe I almost sold it with ECU, loom & Fwd gearbox for $425 on Toymods ... Shocked

Here's a pic when it was just 'junk' from JMS ...

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Eng4.JPG

The good news as well is that the TRD metal gasket I had hanging around actually turned out to be 0.8mm and not a 0.5mm as originally thought ... Smile Bought it off someone from Toymods a while ago so at last it's being put to some good use.

The car will be out of my hands from Saturday onwards for at least a month but it will provide an opportunity to attend to the following things:

1) Possibly paint the engine bay
2) Fix the clear Levin air slot grill
3) Move water reservoir to other side of the car
4) Fit better air filter in a cold box
5) Upgrade suspension to stiffer springs
6) Fit Lukey exhast mufflers

May be a while until the next update but as Big Kev says "I'm excited!" Very Happy

[Updated on: Thu, 11 December 2003 10:42]

Matt-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

October 2003

Re: Dodgy Haro's Panda AE86 - 56k warning Tue, 23 December 2003 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What can I say, "Hello Wataru" Razz hehehe.. i really like this Eight-Six, reminds me of Wataru's Levin from initial D, with the 2 tone rims and the gold ones too. Phaaar... please.. i want Razz
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Dodgy Haro's Panda AE86 - 56k warning Wed, 17 March 2004 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, it's been ages since I've let everyone know what's going on. In a nutshell, I've been posted for 2 months to Parramatta for work purposes - guess that's a perk / hassle for working for one of the Big 4 accounting firms ... Confused

That said, I've taken this opportunity to go crazy whilst down in NSW. Initially I purchased a KE10 with 4K motor & 5 spd gearbox as a cheap runabout, then I came across this in the sales section and just had to take that up:

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/KE208.JPG
http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/KE202.JPG

I also took this opportunity to get some 14x7 Globeline mags for this car but will have to wait till I get back to Brizzy to see if it fits. Might be a mad fit on a KE20.

So, the yellow pokemon shall be returning with me to sunny Qld in a month's time. It's currently getting a checkover to see what it needs for a blue slip here in NSW.

Dunno what to do - I suddenly find myself with a KE10, a KE20 and spare 3K motor + gearbox here in NSW. I'll probably continue using the KE10 in the meantime until the KE20 is up & running however another option is to pull the motor / gearbox out of the KE10 and put it into the KE20 and then scrap the rest.

Ah, how things get out of hand when you're away from home ... Laughing

I currently plan on keeping the KE20 stock so that insurance is el cheapo but if I get the funds one day, will either fit a 4AGTE, 20 valve or even a 12A rotary. This'd be my secondary budget project car.

On the AE86 project front, my mechanic in Brisbane has finally got the new 4AG motor running. He claims to have dusted a brand new 1.8l Corolla Sportivo with VVTI the other night by at least 2 car lengths, with more tuning to the engine to come. Obviously the Sportivo driver was not impressed.

The KAAZ 2 way LSD has also arrived in Brisbane and Simon-RX7 has the camber pillow tops on their way as well. The engine bay has been painted black now and lukey mufflers to go on as well soon.

Sorry but don't have access to an FTP program so I can't post pics at the moment.

Will probably update this thread again when I return mid April.

[Updated on: Sat, 15 May 2004 11:58]

Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Dodgy Haro's Panda AE86 & KE20 - 56k warning Sat, 15 May 2004 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been back in Brisbane now for over 3 weeks and slowly getting the AE86 project going again. All I can say about NSW is that it is crowded - hardly anywhere you can go without getting stuck in traffic. How great it is to be back in Sunny Queensland again ...

Anyway, pics of some fruit which was awaiting on my return. I'll get round to fitting it sometime however I have decided to go the full yard and get a coil over suspension upgrade before fitting this ...

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Kaaz2.JPG
http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Kaaz1.JPG

Looks like I bought at the right time as the aussie dollar has fallen since - not bad for a brand new item all for $1,000 AUD. Very Happy

The other thing is that the early gen AE92 motor's now in the car and it sure kicks butt! I haven't been happier ever since I initially did the 4AG upgrade and as Big Keith says, "I'm excited"!

There are some issues to address but the car certainly has some mumbo now. The motor's still being restricted as the exhaust doesn't have a straight thru muffler system and the air filter is too small - the pod was being sucked inward and was being swallowed by the motor! Shocked

Engine bay spray painted in dodgy black as well ... Rolling Eyes

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/AE92.JPG

Hmmm ... about the only other thing is that my mechanic fell asleep at the wheel one night and mounted a gutter, bending 2 of my golden rims and destroying a tyre. Mad

He's now repairing both rims in the meantime but has forced me to search for rims once again. As a consolation, I found out that the Globe alloys I bought off Ebay for around $250 turned out to be 114.3 PCD, but more importantly 14 x 7", zero offset - sweet! Cool

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Offset.JPG

Latest pics taken today ... I can now verify these are the perfect offset for an AE86.

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Globe2.JPG
http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Globe1.JPG

I also decided to address my steering problem once and for all and picked up a brand new Toyota replacement lower uni-joint for the steering column today. It wasn't cheap but at least there appears to be less freeplay in the wheel now. I am hoping that the coilovers + firmer springs will give me that directness I am looking for in the car's handling. All this whilst concentrating on getting the KE20 running as well.

However I will be up for having some fun later in the coming week going down to the skidpan for some sideways fun.

Can't wait!

Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Dodgy Haro's Panda AE86 - 56k warning Sun, 23 May 2004 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some more pics - how many threads do you have to post till you get to a new Toymods page? Laughing

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Ipswich.JPG

Finally fitted back the front spoiler - lots of cable ties & additional holes to secure the sucker since it came off prior to the recent 4AG transplant ...

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Moorooka.JPG

Took the car out for a spin on the skid pan during the week and learnt a bit more about the car's handling. I'm sure the suspension upgrade planned soon will address certain understeering tendancies.

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Skid.JPG
http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Skid2.JPG

And who luvs their car so much that they'd wash it at 1am on a Saturday morning after a nite out on the skid pan? Rolling Eyes

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6ii7/Wash.JPG
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Dodgy Haro's Panda AE86 - 56k warning Sun, 23 May 2004 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Quote:

And who luvs their car so much that they'd wash it at 1am on a Saturday morning after a nite out on the skid pan?

me. washed my car after i got it imported at 11pm in the pouring rain

Very Happy
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Big T's AE86 Trueno: Turbo Conversion (edit: pics up)
Next Topic:Daniel's Silly Car
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 15:06:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010533809661865 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.