Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SupraBOY
Regular

September 2002

Truck Intercoolers Tue, 23 December 2003 11:44 Go to next message
Has anyone had any experience using truck intercoolers cut down and used on their cars?

Send a private message to this user    
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: Truck Intercoolers Tue, 23 December 2003 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from what i've read/heard they are pretty shite for a performance car application.
shindeokure
Regular

September 2003
Re: Truck Intercoolers Tue, 23 December 2003 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shit flow hence good flutter... good for your fully sick vl turbo.
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: Truck Intercoolers Tue, 23 December 2003 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't believe the blanket 'Truck cores are crap' BS that is propagated by the aftermarket industry. I've made numerous cut down truck cores and have a good deal of experience with them (made them on the side to fund the crown build-up). There are some types that are poor for flow, but equally there are very very god ones. specific examples are the Garrett and Valeo cores. Both flow brilliantly and have exceptional heat transfer properties (far better than most of the automotive cores available). The last time I saw the JPC VL (it had run 9.23 at that time) it was fitted with a garrett core. In short, look for a core with large passes and a good degree of internal finning. The whole argument that 'trucks don't rev' is absolute rubbish-air is air, heat is heat.

As for the crap cores-as a general rule of thumb, if it came off a Volvo truck-throw it in the bin!

Having said that however, now that new cores have come down so much in price, cutting and welding up a truck core no longer really makes economic sense unless you want the ultimate in flow and size. Just buy a bare core from PWR and make up your own tanks. In the end it'll cost only 100-200 more than a modified truck core.

Take it easy

Sean
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Truck Intercoolers Tue, 23 December 2003 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi all,

just another view from experience with the intercooler (cut down truck core) that is on my car.

*4AGTE using a cut down truck core, origin of the core is unknown???
* pressure drop across the core under 14psi was insignificant ie, couldn't be measured accurately (less than 0.5psi)
* pressure drop at 18psi across the core is less than 1psi (about half a psi or so)
*in the temperatures we are experiencing at the moment ie mid 20's the intake temps are 1 to 2 degrees above ambient
NB. the airfilter is in the engine bay (unshrouded) so it sucks in the heated air in the engine bay.

So for my application the "truck" core seems to do the job.

I don't get any "flutter" (reversion), and an earlier post mentioned they are no good for performance applications. I don't know if mine rates as a "performance" vehicle but it ran a high 12 second quarter last time I took it to a Street meet at Eastern Creek. So it doesn't do too bad for a little old corolla with a shite truck core cooler Very Happy

Cheers.

[Updated on: Tue, 23 December 2003 23:03]

Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Truck Intercoolers Tue, 23 December 2003 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK here is my 2 cents.
There is nothing wrong with truck cores, a intercooler core is a intercooler core. Just so happens that a big bar and plate core is usefull for a truck application, but in my OPINION (ppl doesn't neccassary mean i am 100% correct) a tube and fin is more useful for a street driven / performance aplication on a car. I also fail to see that when you cut down a truck core how you can not actually damage the actually damage the fine welds that or on a intercooler when when habibi attackts it with a angle grinder. Finnaly lets face it where do truck cores come from where they are used to be cut down. A WRECKER, why are the trucks at a wrecker, CAUSE THEY ARE FUCKED. I dont want this post taken the wrong way and end up with 100 posts from ppl trying to disprove me. I aint referring to every truck intercooler core used on a car application but some ppl that have used them have had these problems. So in conclusion let it be said that if venturing down the path of using a core like that make sure its right for your application (i.e not so large that it takes up the entire front end of your car) and that it has the right flow and cooling capabilities.

[Updated on: Tue, 23 December 2003 23:31]

MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: Truck Intercoolers Tue, 23 December 2003 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, there is certainly the scope to ruin a good core if the cutting down and following clean-up isn't done properly. I've seen many dogs of cores over the years when the proper care hasn't been taken. To cut a core down properly is not a small task by any means and requires many hours of work. Selection of a good quality core to begin with is also crucial.

Sean
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Truck Intercoolers Wed, 24 December 2003 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I understand what you mean by getting a trashed core from the wreckers fattony, better off in most cases getting something decent from the start.

It was just fortunate with the core in my car that it was brand new, had been cut down already by a professional to an appropriate size and was a very good price. All very handy at the time, nearly 4 years ago now.

If I was buying a core now though I would definitely be grabbing something from somewhere like PWR and having some custom end tanks fitted up Smile

Maybe something for the new year..........$$$$$
LowRollaBoy
Regular

June 2002
Re: Truck Intercoolers Wed, 24 December 2003 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a truck core, its bs about that they are sh1te for flow.
It totally depends on the type of core.

Ive seen some terrible bar and plate truck cores with so much internnal finning htat it would cool nice, but give a big restriction, you obviously avoid such a core.

I run a truck core of unknown origin, and it works fine!
around an .8psi pressure drop.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Truck Intercoolers Wed, 24 December 2003 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

shit flow hence good flutter... good for your fully sick vl turbo.

WTF is that supposed to mean? Explain how it makes a 'sick' flutter? Do you understand what reversion is and what causes it?

And as for trucks not revving, it doesn't mean anything at all, since at 1800rpm they are most likely flowing shitloads more air than any of the 'performance' applications we could build.

Airflow = horsepower. If a truck core can flow enough air for your target power without considerable pressure drop (1-2psi) whilst keeping air temp within say 20 degrees above ambient, then there's no reason to criticise it. There are several truck core applications that match the above criteria, but as said, there are some pretty bad designs too.

Many truck cores end up at the wreckers because of cracked end tanks only, which are almost always replaced for our use to suit the car anyways.

SupraBOY
Regular

September 2002

Re: Truck Intercoolers Wed, 24 December 2003 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok. well now i will say i bought a truck cooler last week for $100. it is brand new apart from a few lil dings and scratches.
it is of bar and plate design and compared to the hybrid core the only 2 differences i can see is that the hybrid has offset fins and is 10mm thicker.

the core i have is 870 X 670 X 65 with end tanks on the end of that.

what do you guys think of this core from the best details i can give at this point in time.

also what size should i get the core cut to for my nissan exa 1.8 turbo engine.

thanks
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Truck Intercoolers Wed, 24 December 2003 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you have the standard turbo on it? T2 isn't it?

If so, I wouldn't make it too big. The general consencus is that 600 X 300 is good for modded cars. You want to maximise the front sectional area without making it to big that it creates lag or pressure drop.

SupraBOY
Regular

September 2002

Re: Truck Intercoolers Wed, 24 December 2003 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
t25 turbo. ca18det engine. n13 exa. 1989 model.
wolf 3d v4 ecu, 2.5" exhaust.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Truck Intercoolers Thu, 25 December 2003 03:59 Go to previous message
Once again, it's relatively simple - if you take the 'cooler from, say, a kenworth with a CAT diesel producing 600hp, and the cooler is providing minimal restriction in that application, then using half of the core for a 300hp car, providing the job is done WELL, is fine. However, using 30% of the core from a lesser powered truck/one that is naturally more restrictive is sheer folly. Trouble is, usually truck cores are bought at scrap metal dealers and such, and you've got no idea what kind of truck they came from originally. However, as said, with the price of new cores these days, why bother? Evil or Very Mad
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ST model dizzy
Next Topic:[AE86] - What the HELL is the stock OIL gauge meant to read?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:32:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068669319152832 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.