Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » Anyone gonna see LOTR ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
nomuken
Regular

November 2003
Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Fri, 26 December 2003 01:57 Go to next message
Got tickets a few days back going at 5 hope its good. Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Fri, 26 December 2003 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate said the first 3 hours were awesome but they dragged the ending out a bit too much. Bastard saw it last Wednesday! Sad He said it was unbelievably awesome though regardless Smile

We were going to go tomorrow, but will wait till after we get back home after New Years cos girlfriend got Gold Class tickets for Christmas. Very Happy
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Fri, 26 December 2003 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im going sunday, i could allmost jump up and down in excitement
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Fri, 26 December 2003 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I just saw it. The end does drag on a bit, but it's awsome regardless.
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Sat, 27 December 2003 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
up to the standard of the first 2.

battle scenes are absolutly awesome.
the huge elephant things kick ass...

audience was getting impatient at the end, after sitting for over 3.1/2 hours.

I think the editors just let peter jackson include whatever he wanted...they didnt cut anything..
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Sat, 27 December 2003 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awesome movie Smile . Best of the 3 for sure, and thats saying something as the other 2 were damn good.

The fight scenes are HUGE. Shocked

I really think most of the things Peter Jackson included were necessary, he actually didn't leave a lot out of this one that was noticable as it was jam packed action.

Yeah the Oliphants were very cool, especially their armour and spikes etc. Love the quote from Gimli "That still only counts as 1".
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Sat, 27 December 2003 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I have to go see it again as I was in a cinema with lots of people from a University fan club for Tolkien, so they where very loud and geeky, and it didn't help the experience.
Malicia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Sat, 27 December 2003 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked F@CKING AWESOME Shocked

Fight scenes were great,

yeah the ending was long but it gives great closure to the movie unlike the matrix long ending and still no closure.

Going to see it again on monday!!!

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Sat, 27 December 2003 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
besides being LONG it was awesome
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Sat, 27 December 2003 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
longer is better where this movie is concerned.

I walked out thinking, "I will never see another movie like that again". Truly spectacular. the White City blew my socks off Smile
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Sat, 27 December 2003 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wait for the extended version to come out.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Sat, 27 December 2003 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haven't seen it yet.. no spoilers please!
although I already know it's going to kick arse, and be one of the best movies I ever see... but that really goes without saying.

and comparing it to the matrix..... well, I'll quote Mr Cranky (www.mrcranky.com) in saying "The third installment of "The Lord of the Rings" could match this for disappointment only if Frodo stops mid-quest to perform an impromptu karaoke set to the greatest hits of ABBA. "
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Sat, 27 December 2003 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive read the book

cant wait cant wait cant wait cant wait cant wait cant wait cant wait cant wait cant wait cant wait cant wait cant wait cant wait cant wait to see the moive
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Sun, 28 December 2003 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It was truly awesome. And no it wasnt too long. I found that by the end I was like "that's all" :'(

And no the producers didnt just let him put in anything. Smile The first edit was 8 hours long. Shocked
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Mon, 29 December 2003 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wanna see the directors cut !!
NickAE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Mon, 29 December 2003 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good flick...3.5 hrs a bit long

too many 'bold & the beautiful' moments ie: 30 sec poignant (sp?)stares
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Mon, 29 December 2003 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Mon, 29 December 2003 12:36

i wanna see the directors cut !!

me too....... 4 hours 50 minutes.... yes thats right.... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad awesome
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon14.gif  Re: Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Mon, 29 December 2003 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I always felt that the novel should've ended at Aragorn's coronation.
The last bits were just being faithful to the book. Just be glad that he didn't stick the Saruman scene in at the end.

Only a few annoyances when major things were changed like:
* everything to do with Arwen
* how Aragorn carries a sword
* when Faramir tries to take the ring
I could be here all day I suppose....

Other than those grievances, I loved everything about the movies. They were everything I hoped for.

Did anyone else find it strange that Sting finally glowed blue in the third film when it never did that in the first two? Disgusted
Also, Anduril is supposed to flame when Aragorn weilds it. I was kinda looking forward to seeing that. Sad
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Mon, 29 December 2003 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it glows in the first one - in the mines and at the end, warning peoples that orcses are comings

and I just saw it tonight.... I was blown away
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Mon, 29 December 2003 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Tue, 30 December 2003 00:01

I could be here all day I suppose...

...Did anyone else find it strange that Sting finally glowed blue in the third film when it never did that in the first two? Disgusted

* I liked the inclusion of Arwen. I think it added to the story, although, it wasn't at all faithful to the book.
* Aragorn carries a sword in the book, doesn't he?
* Yeah, the bit with Faramir kinda pissed me off as well. He was supposed to be greater than his brother, not just the same. I dunno why they put that in the movie.

And sting does glow in the first movie. Watch it again.

--- WARNING: SPOILER TO FOLLOW ---

I'm kinda annoyed at the killing of the Nazgul king. It would seem that "No man can kill him". In the movie it seemed that 'cuz Eowyn was a woman, she could kill him??? However, in the book Merry is carrying a sword specifically designed for killing Nazgul. Merry's sword is described as follows "No other blade, not though mightier hands had wielded it, would have dealt that foe a wound so bitter, cleaving the undead flesh, breaking the spell that knit his unseen sinews to his will."
I would draw from this that Merry's sword broke the spell that kept the Nazgul's body from harm, and then Eowyn killed it.
So I'm kinda annoyed that they left the whole "Merry has a sword that kills Nazgul" bit out. Even if they wanted to drop the bit with Tom Bombadil, they still coulda left in the finding of the swords.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Mon, 29 December 2003 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and I agree max - I reckon skip the fade to black where sam & frodo are lying on the rock. instead cut to gandalf hopping on an "eagle" or some such.
aragorn's coronation. then maybe the boat trip out.

as for the other stuff - poetic licence. Would be impossible to completely recreate the books, and jackson did a bloody good job.

mmm - work tomorrow ... sleep time
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Mon, 29 December 2003 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Tue, 30 December 2003 01:47

Nark wrote on Tue, 30 December 2003 00:01

I could be here all day I suppose...

...Did anyone else find it strange that Sting finally glowed blue in the third film when it never did that in the first two? Disgusted

* I liked the inclusion of Arwen. I think it added to the story, although, it wasn't at all faithful to the book.
* Aragorn carries a sword in the book, doesn't he?
* Yeah, the bit with Faramir kinda pissed me off as well. He was supposed to be greater than his brother, not just the same. I dunno why they put that in the movie.

And sting does glow in the first movie. Watch it again.

--- WARNING: SPOILER TO FOLLOW ---

I'm kinda annoyed at the killing of the Nazgul king. It would seem that "No man can kill him". In the movie it seemed that 'cuz Eowyn was a woman, she could kill him??? However, in the book Merry is carrying a sword specifically designed for killing Nazgul. Merry's sword is described as follows "No other blade, not though mightier hands had wielded it, would have dealt that foe a wound so bitter, cleaving the undead flesh, breaking the spell that knit his unseen sinews to his will."
I would draw from this that Merry's sword broke the spell that kept the Nazgul's body from harm, and then Eowyn killed it.
So I'm kinda annoyed that they left the whole "Merry has a sword that kills Nazgul" bit out. Even if they wanted to drop the bit with Tom Bombadil, they still coulda left in the finding of the swords.

Yeah I agree. I was a bit annoyed to begin with about Arwen, but in the end it actually adds to the movies I think.

Aragorn does carry a sword and I loved that one. It was "fully sik bro". Smile

Faramir did annoy me too, but after watching the extended version of the Two Towers, it all falls into place and you actually see him in a totally different light. Makes a HUGE difference.

------------SPOILERS--------------------

I was a bit frustrated at the killing as well, but I was still in awe of his weapon. Very Happy
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Tue, 30 December 2003 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Tue, 30 December 2003 01:47

Aragorn carries a sword in the book, doesn't he?

AFAIK, the only sword that Aragorn ever carried and used was the hilt end of the shards of Narsil.

I remember looking out for the glow of Sting and not seeing it. I'll have to watch it all over again now..... Smile
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Tue, 30 December 2003 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No. They did reforge the sword just like they did in the movies, and gave it too him. It's just that it happens in the Two Towers and not the Return of The King.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Tue, 30 December 2003 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's when they are in the mines or Moria.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Tue, 30 December 2003 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Caledwvech wrote on Tue, 30 December 2003 11:53

No. They did reforge the sword just like they did in the movies, and gave it too him. It's just that it happens in the Two Towers and not the Return of The King.

Was this directed at me?

If so, I'll expand on what I said.

Aragorn only ever carried the broken Narsil until it was reforged as Anduril. From what I remember, he only drew Narsil once in Bree (maybe once again on Weathertop).

In the movie, you see him weilding a variety of swords before he was given Anduril (much later than in the book, but we won't go there).
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Tue, 30 December 2003 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah yeah. I had forgotten all about that. Smile Good point though. But I think this way made a better movie. Smile
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Tue, 30 December 2003 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
exactly - he needed to have a sword, and if he was carring arounda sword and the broken hilt, would be a little strange.

not to mention him trying to avoid being the heir to the throne, yet carrying around the sword of the king.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Tue, 30 December 2003 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are a variety of weapons other than swords... Maces, axes, staves, polearms...

He carried the sword because it was his heirloom. He never used another sword because of the fact that he was haunted by his demons (the weakness of men) of which Narsil was a constant reminder.

Although I could be totally wrong about all of this. It's just what I remember.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Thu, 01 January 2004 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
None of those Weapons you mentioned have the same... feeling about them as a sword.

A mace is for breaking armour, but not any better than a club against someone who isn't in plate armour.
A battle axe is more of a barbarian (or in LOTR, Dwarf/orc) kind weapon. Not elegant or precise like a sword.
A Stave is okay, but it's not realy a killing weapon. It's more the weapon a peasant would use, not a Ranger.
Polearms are a little rediculous for a ranger to be carrying around. Polearms are millitary weapons for use in the field or on guard duty, not for being a ranger.

The only weapon that suits Aragorn is a Sword, and perhaps a Staff. What weapon does he use in the book? I thought he had a sword the whole way through.
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Sun, 04 January 2004 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah. The only weapon that Aragorn could have used was a sword.

An excerpt from "Lord of the Rings: Weapons and Warfare"

Quote:

A sword has always been a prestige weapon; and it's been a symbol of rank because there's something special about a sword. It is only designed for warfare: where a spear or bow can be used for hunting the sword is one of the few weapons designed purely to kill. Anyone who owned a sword demonstrated that they had the money to spend on a weapon that had no real secondary function. While not being a utility weapon it was a very efficient combat weapon: the very fact that you were having to draw one meant that you were already in close combat - not an ideal situation - so it needed to have been forged, shaped and cared for to the highest possible standard: if your sword failed you for any reason during this stage of combat you would be dead. For this reason, a warrior's sword was treated with the same love and respect as he showed to one of his family.

So in reality, Aragorn only had one choice. The sword.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon3.gif  Re: Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Tue, 06 January 2004 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It doesn't matter what weapon is more suitable to him. He has an heirloom which is a sword and is also a constant reminder of his perceived weakness.
The sword is a symbol of the inherent failing of his bloodline, that's why he only has one sword.

You guys have forced me to pull out my copy of LOTR.

Pg 168 (when they first meet Strider)

He drew out his sword, and they saw that the blade was indeed broken a foot below the hilt.

I also checked the Weathertop section and he fought off the Nazgul with two flaming brands.
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Tue, 06 January 2004 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I realised that, but for movie purposes it served them better to have the sword reforged in that way. Very Happy I mean how dramatic was that scene of deciding to reforge it and then doing just that. Smile

But those are just my thoughts. Smile
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon14.gif  Re: Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Tue, 06 January 2004 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree. The way it was done in the movie was much more dramatic. I quite liked it.
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Thu, 08 January 2004 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seen it twice now, pretty damn sweeeeeeet...

although i missed the bit at the end-

spoilers....

but....

the whole thing to do with "sharky" and the raiders and shit all over bree and the shire, i hope that is in the extended edition...

um, where were the dunedain? didn't a few of them tag along in the book? i seem to remember so....

and yes, i hope they explain somewhere that merrys sword is a nazgul killer- i missed it when i read the first book, and i hope they have him offering his services to theoden as well.... ala the book....

and the mouth of sauron????? where was he?!?! i think he's in the extended edition, so yippie yay....
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Thu, 08 January 2004 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

and i hope they have him offering his services to theoden as well.... ala the book....

They will have it. I dont know if you remember, but go have a look at the trailer. That scene is in there. Smile
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon1.gif  Re: Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Thu, 08 January 2004 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evil_Foetus wrote on Thu, 08 January 2004 16:51

um, where were the dunedain? didn't a few of them tag along in the book? i seem to remember so....

There were many players that were left out, like Elrond's sons and the Dunedain...
I suppose it just simplifies the story. Too many characters can get confusing.
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Anyone gonna see LOTR ? Fri, 09 January 2004 06:43 Go to previous message
hmmmm yes. i hope that they put some cool cool thingies in....
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:double sided printing
Next Topic:Aussie Aussie Aussie
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 08:48:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006511926651001 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.