Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
turbocharging a 4agze Tue, 30 December 2003 10:02 Go to next message
How hard is it to turbo a 4agze to make it a 4agte?
I know you have to tap the sump for the oil pick up to the turbo, make new intercooler pipes, exhaust, dump pipe, But are there any other things to be considered? Are there any major things that need to be modified?

If anyone has done this in a aw11 mr2 what size turbo did you use and what will actually fit?
  Send a private message to this user    
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: turbocharging a 4agze Tue, 30 December 2003 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Before the major backlash begins. Try the search button. Building a 4AGTE has been covered many times over and there is heaps of information found in these here forums.

The search button is you friend, dont hesitste to consult him.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: turbocharging a 4agze Tue, 30 December 2003 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, i've heard it can be done Razz
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: turbocharging a 4agze Tue, 30 December 2003 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why screw with it if it works Razz

why not just swap it with someone with a turbo engine?
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: turbocharging a 4agze Tue, 30 December 2003 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Rex, I was unaware of the search feature.

TE72_turbo: Is that picture of your motor? If so, what turbo did you use? And how does it go?

Why would i go to all the trouble of doing up my motor just to give it to someone else Jackel?
Would that not defeat the purpose? And wouldnt it be a waste of my money? And lastly, Im sure there are heaps of people out there that would want to swap a 4agte for a 4agze?!

hhmmmmm......!
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: turbocharging a 4agze Wed, 31 December 2003 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the short of it is that apparently WRX turbos (the TDO5, not the earlier TD04) are the ducks nuts for 4AG's.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: turbocharging a 4agze Wed, 31 December 2003 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak fatmr2, click the link in my siggy. i havnt gone into great detail on my site, but e-mail me anytime if you have any questions.

Smile
krayzie
Regular

April 2003

Re: turbocharging a 4agze Wed, 31 December 2003 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
onejayzed - You have your turbos mix up a bit there ... the TD05 came off the ealier WRX and then changed with the smaller TD04. I have a TD05 off my MY94 which I plan to put onto my 4agte.
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: turbocharging a 4agze Wed, 31 December 2003 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Onejayzed/krayzie: Do either of you know what sort of boost you can run with a TD05? Will there be much lag? Also, Is there enough room to fit this turbo in an aw11?

Thanks feral4mr2 Smile Looks like you've done a fair bit of stuff to your car. It's pretty cool. I like the lambo look you were going for Smile
With your turbo manifold, is there a lot of space to play with in there or not? If not is that why you chose the manifold you did?
krayzie
Regular

April 2003

Re: turbocharging a 4agze Wed, 31 December 2003 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know on a WRX you can get 20psi out of that turbo. I have seen ppl get 160-170kw atw with that turbo. As for lag it would have a bit i would think but its good for heaps nad heaps of top end.

fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: turbocharging a 4agze Wed, 31 December 2003 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been told that a s14/s15 t28 would be the go on my car? How big is a tdo4 or tdo5 compared to this?
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: turbocharging a 4agze Wed, 31 December 2003 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or should i say, will a t28 give me more mid range compared to the td05? And how would the tdo4 compare?

Sorry for all the questions but i only want to do this once and not have to waste money buying another turbo because im not happy Razz
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: turbocharging a 4agze Wed, 31 December 2003 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatmr2 wrote on Wed, 31 December 2003 13:31

With your turbo manifold, is there a lot of space to play with in there or not? If not is that why you chose the manifold you did?

i chose to make the log manifold because it was easy and it works well. Smile
plus my cast manifold was too low, anyone say smoke.. Embarassed

there isnt a great deal of space there, but enough to use a wide variety of turbo sizes depending on what type of performance you are after. get a oil filter relocation kit and take the a/c compressor off and you have heaps of space.
personaly for street applications the t-25 and t-28 are my pick for our engines. though i have seen a couple gte's with the later WRX turbo's that worked really well too.
i have a friend in Mackay that has a VG30 on his gte running an auto, that thing goes off as well..

i could of brought my turbo a little closer to the engine, as it sits now it's approx 3" from the firewall. i made it so i can put my a/c compressor back on, as i like a/c and cruiseing with my windows up.

on page 2 of here i have some pics of my current gte.
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: turbocharging a 4agze Thu, 01 January 2004 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that info feral4mr2 Smile
I guess i just want to make sure i can put performance parts on my car and still keep things like my a/c.
I think i will end up going with the t28. If i can pick up a bb one even better.
My set-up will be a little different to yours though. I have a pwr barrel intercooler ( Water to air ) which i will put in the boot and the heat exchanger will be in the front of the car . I will cut holes through from the boot to the engine bay for the intercooler pipes. That way i wont get all the heating problems you get with an air to air from the engine heat.
I will however put the supercharged engine lid on as it just looks fat Very Happy

How well do your side vents work to cool down your intercooler?
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: turbocharging a 4agze Thu, 01 January 2004 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak i have a ST-205 w2a i/c waiting on my work bench. i just need to get off my lazy arse get a pump and put it all in and make up some new i/c pipeing. Rolling Eyes

http://www.hometown.aol.com/feral4mr2/images/w2a1.jpg
http://www.members.aol.com/feral4mr2/images/fitw2a1.jpg

the side scoops on my rear end are'nt really to feed the a2a i/c i have on at the moment, that gets it's air from underneathe where the natural air flow comes from. (though in some of my old pics on that link had the ducting i was trying out).
i designed the scoops/rear end so that the air that passes through the scoops goes over the engine bay and out under the rear boot spoiler, which creates a bigger vacum over the engine and in turn pulls more air from underneathe.

http://www.members.aol.com/feral4mr2/images/airflow1.jpg

also pulls the car down more on the road at higher speeds.
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: turbocharging a 4agze Sat, 03 January 2004 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How do you put pictures in the text box?

fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: turbocharging a 4agze Sat, 03 January 2004 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey feral4mr2, how much power does your car make? in its current form.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: turbocharging a 4agze Sat, 03 January 2004 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak i dont know, i never got the 1st gte on the dyno and havnt got this one on there yet. i'll probably try and do it after i get the w2a i/c done and build a new exhaust. i dont expect big numbers outta this one though.
next gte i hope to be the good one.. Evil or Very Mad

to post a pic you need to host a image on a linkable web server, then use the
[*img]web address.jpg[*/img] tags. with-out the *.
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: turbocharging a 4agze Sun, 04 January 2004 04:13 Go to previous message
yeah look, its all a little too technical for me Confused

I'm hoping for some fairly impressive power from all of this. Hopefully i wont be disappointed Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:What oil do ppl use in their auto g/boxs? (ma70) plus trans cooler Q's
Next Topic:Problem with brakes
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 14:40:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052421092987061 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.