Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » AE82 twin versus VX commodore?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Toby AE82 Twin
Regular

July 2002
AE82 twin versus VX commodore? Tue, 06 August 2002 04:40 Go to next message
A mate of mine (that knows nothing about cars) reckons his new automatic Commodore would beat my stock AE82. I realise that to 100 km/h this would probably be true (commodore about 9 seconds versus AE82 10 seconds) but I reckon I can beat him over 100m or so which he doesnt believe and wants to bet on it.

Should I take the bet??
  Send a private message to this user    
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: AE82 twin versus VX commodore? Tue, 06 August 2002 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mate i douldt you would beat him hey!
Toby AE82 Twin
Regular

July 2002
Re: AE82 twin versus VX commodore? Tue, 06 August 2002 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Even though his tank weighs about twice as much and is an auto?

If he had a manual I wouldnt bother trying but I reckon I can get the jump over a short distance.

I have driven his car and they are powerful but thought it was sluggish off the mark (0-60). Maybe I'll bet if its a 50m race...
HSV_gal
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: AE82 twin versus VX commodore? Tue, 06 August 2002 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude....
Maybe off the mark.... but he will catch you very quickly.... That is if he knows how to drive his car.... Being an auto it would be alittle sluggish... but i still think over 100m he would catch you.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: AE82 twin versus VX commodore? Tue, 06 August 2002 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hate to admit this, but the VX will kick ya butt! Sorry to say :-
Toby AE82 Twin
Regular

July 2002
Re: AE82 twin versus VX commodore? Tue, 06 August 2002 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If he knows how to drive his car??? Its an automatic commodore! How many ways can you drive it? Just put your foot to the floor.

HSV_gal
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: AE82 twin versus VX commodore? Tue, 06 August 2002 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well you can either drive the car like a commodore should be driven..... or you can drive it like it is made of glass.... like i have seen done many a time. Confused
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: AE82 twin versus VX commodore? Tue, 06 August 2002 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its not just as simple as stickin the pedel to the floor!
You can put ya left foot on the brake to bring up the revs, then when the light goes green dump the accel and take ya foot off the brake!
Toby AE82 Twin
Regular

July 2002
Re: AE82 twin versus VX commodore? Tue, 06 August 2002 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Tue, 06 August 2002 5:45 PM

Its not just as simple as stickin the pedel to the floor!
You can put ya left foot on the brake to bring up the revs, then when the light goes green dump the accel and take ya foot off the brake!

Like I said, my mate knows nothing about cars (that includes how to drive them) so he wont be doing that.

Looks like the consensus is not to take the bet . Oh well I guess his is 16 years newer and more than twice the capacity after all. Might have to get a GZE and then take the bet.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: AE82 twin versus VX commodore? Tue, 06 August 2002 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We're just telling you the facts mate!
Even if he just sticks the accel peddel to the floor, he will still beat you! As much as I would like to say you would win, this just wont be so!
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: AE82 twin versus VX commodore? Tue, 06 August 2002 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They aren't THAT fast!! V6 3.8ltr push rod engine. A mate of mine has a VT 6 banga and he crawls past me at about 140km's... (I have a 7AFE though, bit more torque than a 4a). But to 80-90km's, my moneys on the AE82.

VX's weigh more than a VT don't they?!
toyrota
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AE82 twin versus VX commodore? Tue, 06 August 2002 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alot of people make the mistake of thinking that their loud car that they have to change a heap of gears in to do 100kms is faster then an auto that does it all with out all the noise and bullshit.I'm not saying that all quite auto are the fastest thing on the planet but don't be mislead by how easy some cars do it
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: AE82 twin versus VX commodore? Tue, 06 August 2002 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Put in a 20V or a GZE then make the bet and cash in Smile
AE82 twin cams are fast but they aint that quick. a mate of mine has one 86kw.(zorst/extractors/filter/coldair) and another friend has a TX3 (same sort of mods) and the tx3 whoops it
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: AE82 twin versus VX commodore? Tue, 06 August 2002 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE82's came out in 100kw didnt they!?

Toby AE82 Twin: Is yours 100kw or 86kw?
Toby AE82 Twin
Regular

July 2002
Re: AE82 twin versus VX commodore? Tue, 06 August 2002 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here, here Rvrolla, they're not that fast. 0-100 in 9 seconds is not quick and my logic came to the conclusion that as they have a lot more power they would get the edge on the AE82 and make up that 1 second diff at higher speeds, hence my inkling that i could get him up to say 60km/h.

Mine's only 86kw. Dunno if VXs weigh more than VTs, they are virtually the same car so there wouldnt be much difference in weight.

He crawls past u at 140? And I think your rolla weighs substantially more than an Ae82 twinky? Why you swapping for a 4age if they have less torque? Are they better to mod or something?

Toyrota - i think some autos would be quicker on the changes than manuals but i am only looking at a short sprint. PS. i dont have one of those loud cars.

Hunty - i assume you are talking about the turbo TX3? The non-turbos are absolutey gutless, drove a couple before buying the twinky.
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: AE82 twin versus VX commodore? Wed, 07 August 2002 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not going to a 4AGE, I'm staying with the 7A, but using the GE head.

Best of both worlds really, the torque of the 7A and the power of the 4AGE.

Hence a 7AGE Hybrid Conversion...

Not much here at the moment but check out my site:
http://my.integritynet.com.au/dhall

I'm too lazy to keep it updated all the time Razz
Toby AE82 Twin
Regular

July 2002
Re: AE82 twin versus VX commodore? Wed, 07 August 2002 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RVrolla

Oops i saw the AGE and missed the 7 at the beginning of it! Razz

I think AE82s weigh about 900kgs? I'm sure plenty of people here will know the answer to that. How much does your rolla weigh?

[Updated on: Wed, 07 August 2002 01:39]

SXer
Regular

May 2002
Re: AE82 twin versus VX commodore? Wed, 07 August 2002 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae82 Twin-cam hatches are roughly 950kg
The seca is an extra 25kg.

all ae82s had the twiv engine which was only 86kW. The next generation of corolla (ae92) had the 100kW engine. Nice effort by toyota to pull 14kW out of an engine huh?
whiteGZE
Regular

May 2002

Re: AE82 twin versus VX commodore? Wed, 07 August 2002 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you have a stock ae82 the vx wouldn't have too much trouble getting away from you, even with a bad driver Sad

From the vx/vts I have dragged, at higher speeds is when I really leave them for dead. So I would say they are better lower down.

But take him on anyway without a bet just for a bit of fun and see how you do. Up To Something

I reckon the ae82 is probably closer to 1000kg. I believe the quoted weights for the car are the dry weight and don't take into account things like petrol, water, other fluids etc.

My ae82 hatch weighs 1060kg.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE82 twin versus VX commodore? Wed, 07 August 2002 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hate to say but the guys are right - the VX would win - use the auto thru the notches to get the revs built up, and utilize the torque and it would be a one horse race .. onve again - he'd have to know how to do this properly to get full benifit

as for TX3 - ive driven them too - found them to be very responsive little machines - and have taken on and beaten said corollas in my brothers one ..

the one you may have driven could have been a tad sick ..

HSV_gal
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: AE82 twin versus VX commodore? Wed, 07 August 2002 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just to clear something up... Weighs on Vt's and VX's are basically the same
VT sedan comes in at 1522kg's standard... while the VX comes in at 1519kg's
Toby AE82 Twin
Regular

July 2002
Re: AE82 twin versus VX commodore? Wed, 07 August 2002 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Wed, 07 August 2002 2:26 PM

hate to say but the guys are right - the VX would win - use the auto thru the notches to get the revs built up, and utilize the torque and it would be a one horse race .. onve again - he'd have to know how to do this properly to get full benifit

as for TX3 - ive driven them too - found them to be very responsive little machines - and have taken on and beaten said corollas in my brothers one ..

the one you may have driven could have been a tad sick ..

I drove 2 TX3s and one was a very clean machine (not sick) check out this website. http://203.34.142.21/~x/t/history.html

I would not say 0-100 in 11.9 is very responsive!!! Thats 1.5 seconds slower than the twinky so I think you're brothers TX3 must be modded or those twinkies he raced were sick.
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: AE82 twin versus VX commodore? Wed, 07 August 2002 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My Seca weighs 1240kg's...

Front:
700Kg's
Back:
740kg's

Thats with stereo, and basically crap through out the car. 2 other secas came in at exatcly the same weight, but different front and rear.

As for the Dunnydore race, I agree, just go for it. Who cares about bettin, just have some fun. I have never draged my mates VT off the mark so I couldn't say, but I know they are nothing special up top...
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: AE82 twin versus VX commodore? Wed, 07 August 2002 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just to clarify the my twinky / tx3 experience
the rolla 1987 twin cam 1.6litre 86kw with said mods
the tx3 1994 model coupe (2door sedan) 1.8litre twincam non turbo with same mods as rolla BUT maybe the deciding factor here, just found out he has a "special cam" in the tx3 which aparantly give it a better top end. G-tech results in the TX3 reakon 0-100km/hr in 9.2secs seems awfully quick as there was ridiculous amounts of wheel spin thru 1st and 2nd (had the stock 14's on with pretty average tyres kuhmo somethings)
yet to G-Test the rolla

I hope i dont start a TX3 versus Twinky war!

Cheers,
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: AE82 twin versus VX commodore? Wed, 07 August 2002 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I walked away from a tx3 coupe non turbo fairly easily a few weeks ago, a 9.2 isn't very quick for a car with mods and cam etc.
dunno what they pull standard though
Toby AE82 Twin
Regular

July 2002
Re: AE82 twin versus VX commodore? Wed, 07 August 2002 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hunty wrote on Thu, 08 August 2002 2:43 AM

Just to clarify the my twinky / tx3 experience
the rolla 1987 twin cam 1.6litre 86kw with said mods
the tx3 1994 model coupe (2door sedan) 1.8litre twincam non turbo with same mods as rolla BUT maybe the deciding factor here, just found out he has a "special cam" in the tx3 which aparantly give it a better top end. G-tech results in the TX3 reakon 0-100km/hr in 9.2secs seems awfully quick as there was ridiculous amounts of wheel spin thru 1st and 2nd (had the stock 14's on with pretty average tyres kuhmo somethings)
yet to G-Test the rolla

I hope i dont start a TX3 versus Twinky war!

Cheers,

Ok that clears it up then. I was comparing the 86kw twinky with the non-turbo laser of about the same age! The early TX3s are totally gutless.

Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: AE82 twin versus VX commodore? Thu, 08 August 2002 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
like i said the weels only stoped spinning about the last 1500 rpm in 2nd before we hit 100clicks
we sat still in first for what seemed like ages
hmmm 5k hard launch in fwd not the best way to get a good 0-100 time Razz
ben_ra23
Regular

May 2002

Re: AE82 twin versus VX commodore? Fri, 09 August 2002 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i can take on a VP commodore....And the VX isnt THTA different.....

And i reckon ur corolla would beat my celica (18rg twin carb)

plus, mine weighs more.........

I took a VT and he slowly pulled away, all i got was wheelspin though, But he wasnt THAT much quicker!

The Gen 3 was another story, As was the R33 Smile

Flogged Sad

Ben
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: AE82 twin versus VX commodore? Fri, 09 August 2002 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ben_ra23 wrote on Fri, 09 August 2002 8:00 PM

well i can take on a VP commodore....And the VX isnt THTA different.....

What???? Come on mate, thats like saying the SR20 isnt that different to the CA18
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE82 twin versus VX commodore? Fri, 09 August 2002 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just race for fun. Who cares?

The commodore has the advantage of pure cubits.

The AE82 isn't exactly the be all and end all of road rockets either.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: AE82 twin versus VX commodore? Sun, 11 August 2002 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't quite know how the VP fits into this, but in a straight line the VS Commodore will beat a VT, not sure about VX but I'd imagine it'd do the same.
Insane Sx
Regular

August 2002

Re: AE82 twin versus VX commodore? Sun, 11 August 2002 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vx commodore for sure!

My 100kw SX beat a VS auto ute by 3 car lengths upto 140km

But guessing the extra power a VX would have and considering you have 14kw less than me... Than i would say VX to kick your arse after 2nd gear...

Sorry to say, but thats were i would have my money
HSV_gal
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: AE82 twin versus VX commodore? Mon, 12 August 2002 04:22 Go to previous message
hmmm... as has been said.... this is only for fun.... I say do it.... it would actually be intresting to see how you go.... just don't be to pissed if you do get beaten....I still think the VX would win... But you never know... if the person in question doesn't know how to drive the car to its potencial then you just might beat him on pure skill..
Laughing

[Updated on: Mon, 12 August 2002 06:01]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Malkom 2.0 -
Next Topic:GT Celica
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 23:10:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006497859954834 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.