Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » Has anyone got burnt by Ebay?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
icon5.gif  Has anyone got burnt by Ebay? Fri, 26 December 2003 04:46 Go to next message
I have been issued with the task of buying a digital camera for the family. Whilst researching the one to get I've found the "Buy it Now" prices on Ebay are about $150-$200 cheaper than store prices for a $600 camera.

I was wondering if buying from Ebay is reliable? I have only bought small, cheap items from Ebay in the past.

Has anyone had bad experiences or heard of them? Confused
  Send a private message to this user    
Grinder
Regular

June 2003

Re: Has anyone got burnt by Ebay? Fri, 26 December 2003 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know my dad uses Ebay alot. Your best bet is took look at the sellers rating, a high rating means they are a regular ebay seller/buyer and will be reliable.
Malicia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Has anyone got burnt by Ebay? Fri, 26 December 2003 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Look for Mr.Ausfish I have baught 3 digital camera from him very happy with his service and products.
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Has anyone got burnt by Ebay? Sat, 27 December 2003 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try graysonline auctions. they clear some stuff really cheap. just be sure of what you want and what retail is. Bought a microwave for $545- less than retail and thats with the commission and delivery. Very Happy
Most things have full warranty too.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Has anyone got burnt by Ebay? Sat, 27 December 2003 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Almost ALL of the digi cams on ebay are from Hong Kong, Singapore etc etc
Therefore, if you are unlucky you have to pay import tax on it, and if it fucks up, you have to send it back there for repairs...

Just go to Harvey Norman on the last few days of each month

They'll happily knock 1-200 bucks off the listed price to make a few more sales
Southo
Regular

I supported Toymods

August 2002
Re: Has anyone got burnt by Ebay? Sun, 28 December 2003 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have bought 4 cameras, 3 CF Cards, 2 Hard drives, many batteries, tripods etc plus numerous other car parts from Ebay - all bar one without any problems ( the one problem I had was that they lost my payment - but once I gave the details again - they sent the item straight out.

When checking the history of a buyer/seller, check all their viewable transactions - if they have a rating of 30 sales, are they all for $2 items that have been used to "buy their credibility" - see what they have sold and bought, how often, any similarities etc, eg, if they have sold $20 ear rings for the past 6 mths - wht are they now selling a $1000 camera ??

to avoid the GST/Sales Tax ( I've only ever paid it once) ask that the item be marked as a present and be wrapped as such - give them an extra $5 if needed.

Otherwise -
www.dirtcheapcameras.com.au
very good and I have bought from them before and know the owner very well...

SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Has anyone got burnt by Ebay? Sun, 28 December 2003 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got home yesterday and found that Dad had gone to Bayswater Bulk (The Good Guys) and bought a camera without consulting me. Mad Mad Mad

He knew that I was thinking about buying from Ebay and I think that's why he bought one before I could. His reason was that the cheap prices had to be dodgy, like they were avoiding import taxes or something... And he said, "that's dishonest". Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad

Thanks for your replies though guys. Smile
Hirogen
Forums Junkie

July 2002
      WTF is a jabber?
Re: Has anyone got burnt by Ebay? Sun, 28 December 2003 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dishonest? HA! Dishonest is charging that much for somthing that probably only cost a $100 to make at best.
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Has anyone got burnt by Ebay? Sun, 28 December 2003 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tell me about it. Actually no, tell MY DAD about it. Sad
RA65 Sleeka
Regular

June 2003
Re: Has anyone got burnt by Ebay? Sat, 03 January 2004 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did I Was ment to get the Lights that replase the vents on the RA6X Celica from a bloke in the Usa, and he sent me the wronge ones now the f%#k head wont give the right ones or give me my money back.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Has anyone got burnt by Ebay? Sat, 10 January 2004 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehehe
ebay once suspended my account because I owed them 2 cents.
I emailed them explaining that it was impossible to give them 2 cents as 2 cents rounds down to zilch.

They had no choice but to reopen my account. Suckers!! Laughing
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Has anyone got burnt by Ebay? Sun, 11 January 2004 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if its those oz-digitalworld auctions, i cant recommend them enough. i just bought my mate a sony DSC-V1 through them, it came 5 days after paying, i did the buy it now option, Ended up costing $850 including GST (which was added by stupid aus customs)

Thats at least $150 cheaper than any where else i found it Cool
go for it dude!
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Has anyone got burnt by Ebay? Mon, 12 January 2004 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you gotta be careful about the rating system... I believe it's flawed....

I knew a person who bought some pretty expensive things ($400 bux from ebay)...

Anyways... the auction finishes and my friend paid straight away using bidpay.. (we are talking within the hour)..

What's normally meant to happen is that the buyer has kept his end of the deal (paid the seller). And he did it without hesitation. It is the sellers duty to give the buyer positive feedback.

But the seller didn't.
6 weeks passes, the item hasn't come in. My friend emails the guy and sees whats going on. The guy gives him a beat around the bush story.
"how about feedback" my friend asks. The guy goes "we don't give feedback until you give feedback, it's our policy".

If my mate gives the guy negative feedback, he gets one too. Now that's just plain blackmail. My mate keeps keeping his fingers cross that the item comes in. It doesn't. 3 months has passed and he can't give the seller feedback anymore (expiry).

The seller probably ripped about a million peple off before, but uses this tactic for his %100 positive feedback status..

pretty gay hey.
I can't believe how unmoral people can be.
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Has anyone got burnt by Ebay? Sat, 17 January 2004 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i once tried to buy a pair of sunglasses from ebay.
I won the bid, the money went out of the account, but to this day i have not seen my sunglasses.
I tried e-mailing the seller like 10 times, i tried to get ebay to sort it out. They told me it would cost me more that what the sunnies were worth.
I never buy from e-bay now.
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Has anyone got burnt by Ebay? Sat, 17 January 2004 00:39 Go to previous message
use pay pal for people who dont look like theyre down the straight and narrow.
if it was an internet banking transfer, you can do a recall of funds too Smiley =
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Favourite sandwich toppings?
Next Topic:Going Away
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 19:37:05 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0083870887756348 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.