Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Levin
Occasional Poster

August 2002
7MGTE head bots Fri, 26 December 2003 05:56 Go to next message
Hi kids, Merry Christmas! I finally got around to tightening the head bolts on my 7M, according to people here they should be torqued down to 72ft/lbs - mine where all between 20 and 30! Is that bad???

Another thing, it is just the three bolts isn't it? I couldn't find any others, but I may have been having a 'hangover moment', it is Boxing Day after all!

Cheers
Shane Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
M.J.H
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: 7MGTE head bots Fri, 26 December 2003 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No there is about 14 head bolts to tighten.
I know the 5M has them in the valley where the plugs are but i think the 7M head bolts sit under the cams or next to them,can't remember exactly.
Wheres ed when you need him.
celicaboy_2000
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 7MGTE head bots Fri, 26 December 2003 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, 1st of all i'd like to say that im not a kiddy but I wish I was sometimes... Yes 20 - 30 ft/lbs is bad for the head bolts and your missing 11 head bolts (Total of 14)

Did you take the cam covers off or did you just tighten up those 3 blanking plugs between the spark plugs and the cam covers? Laughing If so I can understand the good ol booze does that to you. Merry Christmas and happy new year.
stevevp
Regular

May 2002
Re: 7MGTE head bots Fri, 26 December 2003 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you've tightened the 3 big silver allen bolts between the cam covers where the spark plugs are, its the wrong ones.

There are 14 10mm allen bolts under the cam covers that need tightening
Levin
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: 7MGTE head bots Sat, 27 December 2003 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fourteen!!! Bummer, that sounds like a lot of work, I'm too old for this sort of business! Yes, I did just tighten the three in the valley! Ah well, I have to replace the cam cover gaskets anyway so it's no big deal.

Thanks for the info guys, looks like it's back out to the garage for me. Sad

Cheers
Shane.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 7MGTE head bots Sat, 27 December 2003 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and while youre back in garage, id suggest inspecting the valley oil plugs to see if 72ft/lbs has buggered their thread in the head...
ViNcEnXo
Regular

July 2003
Re: 7MGTE head bots Sat, 27 December 2003 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Sat, 27 December 2003 20:03

and while youre back in garage, id suggest inspecting the valley oil plugs to see if 72ft/lbs has buggered their thread in the head...

Rolling Eyes I was thinking the same thing.
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 7MGTE head bots Sat, 27 December 2003 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats the saying?

"A little knowledge can be very dangerous"
Levin
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: 7MGTE head bots Sat, 03 January 2004 10:20 Go to previous message
Can't say I'm that worried, the car has been driven like five times since I bought it six months ago. 72ft/lbs didn't seem to be stressing those three bolts at all, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Cheers Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:RA 6X Steering Pump
Next Topic:banjo bolts
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 07:31:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052139759063721 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.