Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

20 Valve and old gear box Tue, 06 August 2002 18:06 Go to next message
Will the standard gear box in a non twin cam AE82 hold up with the extra power/torque from the 20v or will it simply not bolt up? Also would a heavy duty clutch be needed or again could you get by with a standard one?

Thanks for your help.
  Send a private message to this user    
haggis
Regular

May 2002
Re: 20 Valve and old gear box Wed, 07 August 2002 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from what Ive read, it would work for a fair while, but would eventiualy sucumb if you drive it hard.

Also, the clutch sizes are different (again, from memory) and possibly the splines on the gearbox input shaft.

The 20V 'box has better ratios, and are usualy quite cheap if you get it with the engine. You could always hunt down as 6 speed off a black top Wink

Search the forums here as i belive this one has been answered in detail before.

Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 20 Valve and old gear box Wed, 07 August 2002 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They will bolt up, 'A' pattern. The clutch plate (splines) on the 6-spd is the same as and AE92,101,102 and 111, and clutch diaphrams on the 20V are also the same pattern as the models above. Also, There is no real increase in torque from a 20V vs a 16V, just revs, so it all depends how well an AE82 box will handle higher revs, which shouldn't be too bad, but like anything, treat it rough things will break.
Quote:

The 20V 'box has better ratios, and are usualy quite cheap if you get it with the engine. You could always hunt down as 6 speed off a black top

$3000-3500 with 20,000km on the dash
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 20 Valve and old gear box Wed, 07 August 2002 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just remembering that we're talking bout the gearbox that is currently bolted up to my 4A-C thats done around 140k, or if im going to the trouble of doin the conversion is there anypoint in trying to save a little cash and use the existing gear box or is it worth it in the long run to spend the extra 5-600 bucks on the gear box (5 speed from the 20valve)
haggis
Regular

May 2002
Re: 20 Valve and old gear box Wed, 07 August 2002 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd say get the 20V box for the better ratios. Well, that what I'm doing any way...

At least the you would have a spare engine and 'box.
ae102_3sgte
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: 20 Valve and old gear box Thu, 08 August 2002 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would say go for the 20V gearbox.
The ratios will be right, and you can keep your old one for a spare.

I used to have an AE101 with a 4AGE 16V mated to a c52 from a 7A car. First gear was way too tall, and the revs were too low on the highway. To even think about accelerating on the highway it was necessary to downshift.

If you buy the box and the engine together, I am guessing it will probably come with a clutch and other misc spare parts too.
good luck!

Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 20 Valve and old gear box Thu, 08 August 2002 08:35 Go to previous message
Just get a front cut and toss everything from your car and put the newer stuff in, saves any doubts.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:RA23 Handbreak
Next Topic:Cressida GX60 1G-GE Engine
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 19 05:11:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0042369365692139 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.