Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Sprinta
Regular

September 2002
RA60 Struts into Ae86 Sat, 03 January 2004 04:09 Go to next message
Hey Dudes,
I know this has been 'semi' covered before but i havnt found a specific solution to it.
Basically im about to put RA60 struts/brakes into my AE86 and of course i will end up with positive camber issues.

If you use longer control arms does that reduce the turning circle?
I have camber tops but they can only do so much so if anyone has a specific solution please let me and everyone else know Smile
I think mrshin suggests mx62 control arms which are very long but i dont know if it will effect other things..

thanx
Alem
  Send a private message to this user    
Necros
Regular

September 2002
Re: RA60 Struts into Ae86 Sun, 04 January 2004 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There seems to be lots of different information on this subject. Like the camber issues.

Im running RA60 struts with RA60 lower arms. These struts are from a RA60 that had power steering which will give you quicker steering (I.E. Less turns to lock).

With these struts you will have to take the spring cups off and put on the AE86 ones (ginder/welder w/ shock/spring removed ;p) as the diameter of the strut is the same but the spring cup is much larger on the RA60 and wont fit in the AE86 tower. You also use the AE86 strut tops, like your adjustable ones ;p

With this setup im also running lowered springs/shocks so that might affect my camber a litle but im getting -0.35~ each side. You also get much larger stub axles with these struts and there are some hubs that fit them that have 5 studs.

Also I belive the cressida lower arms give -2~3 degrees camber? MX83 wasnt it?
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA60 Struts into Ae86 Sun, 04 January 2004 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Necros wrote on Sun, 04 January 2004 15:43

MX83 wasnt it?

I also thought that it was mx62 (not mx83)

Cheers
Wilbo
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: RA60 Struts into Ae86 Sun, 04 January 2004 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm using MX73 arms, they're a BIT longer than the RA60 ones, but not as extreme as the MX62 ones. From memory, I think the MX83 ones are a bit too different to actually fit properly... Any other ideas, people?
DJ345
Regular

April 2003
Re: RA60 Struts into Ae86 Sun, 04 January 2004 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about MX36? They are longer than RA60 arms.
c2888
Regular

May 2002

Re: RA60 Struts into Ae86 Mon, 05 January 2004 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have RA60 struts in my car, I did it the file steering arm holes out method many moons ago. It's probably frowned apon by some people, but I haven't had a problem and I've had them in for almost 2 years now. I have the camber issue, ie no negative, by eyeball it doesn't look positive, pretty close to zero i think. Spring cups, i left them as they were, they fit inside my strut towers so i didn't modify them.

The real problem I can see for everyone else is the lack of roll center adjustor blocks for us.

EBC greenstuff pads were nice, but i still managed to kill a set on a mountain run. And let your rotors cool down before you come to a complete stop. Ask me how i warped mine Smile

Daniel
Sprinta
Regular

September 2002
Re: RA60 Struts into Ae86 Mon, 05 January 2004 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah thats the first ive heard of having to cut/weld something when installing these struts.. As far as i know you just unbolt the ra60 stuff and bolt on the ae86 cups/shocks etc..
Im pretty sure whiteline make the roll centre blocks but theyre not neg camber ones.
Thanx for the replies, any more people with ideas?
I did another search and found this by 'drifter4ag'
Quote:

to correct the camber problems i welded 1.5inches of box section into my ae86 lower arms which gave me about 2.5deg NEG and the same amount of track either side .i am running no roll center adjuster

What does this 'box section' mean?
c2888
Regular

May 2002

Re: RA60 Struts into Ae86 Mon, 05 January 2004 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's a type of steel you can buy, when you go to the metal yard you ask for that.

If you want to weld your control arms, you may as well rose joint them, for that adjustability factor.

Daniel
Sprinta
Regular

September 2002
Re: RA60 Struts into Ae86 Mon, 05 January 2004 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh ok, does anyone know an approx cost of rose jointing and where to get it done?
I know its illegal but meh
And do you mean that it would be better to have both the weld, and rose jointing done or just the rose jointing? I dont know what control arms ill be using yet
thanx guys
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: RA60 Struts into Ae86 Mon, 05 January 2004 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sigma lower control arms fit, apparently, and are 30mm longer than the RA60 ones...

i think from memory it ends up giving you around 3 degrees more negative camber than the RA60 ones..

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA60 Struts into Ae86 Mon, 05 January 2004 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I've seen RA60 struts and Sigma arms on a T18, the result was insane negative camber (probably 3 degrees) and a massive increase in track width. Definitely not for those who want a subtle improvement!
slydar
Regular

December 2003
Re: RA60 Struts into Ae86 Tue, 13 January 2004 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am assuming the the camber problem is caused by a differant angle between the strut body and the stub axle? or is it just a differant offset on the plate that the ball joint and strut bolt too? i need to know if running ra60 struts will mean i have alot less guard clearance, as i am planning to run a very wide rim on the front.

also, are RA65 celica struts the same?

and will a 13" rim fit over RA60/65 brake hardware? cheers.
Sprinta
Regular

September 2002
Re: RA60 Struts into Ae86 Tue, 13 January 2004 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im pretty sure its the angle of the stub axle that causes the problem.
I actually just did the ra60 conversion yesterday with the help of Mrshin (he was in perth Smile ) and there sure is some positive camber there even with the camber tops
Im using my lowered ae86 springs and its about the height of a stock r33 skyline Sad Will need shorter ones to correct it.
Not too sure about the guard clearance.. Looks the same as before to me..
They nearly fill my 15" wheels so im assuming you will need 14" minimum.
slydar
Regular

December 2003
Re: RA60 Struts into Ae86 Fri, 16 January 2004 10:18 Go to previous message
i took one of my old sprinter 13" wheels to the wreckers and tried them. nope, they dont fit. biut its close. i think an aftermarket wheel might give more clearance. the performance wheels distributor offered a trial fit if i can bring a strut in. ill just have to do my wheels before my suspension, unless i can find some j-spec struts. cheers.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE86 T50 clutch
Next Topic:Altezza manual transmission Q.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 16:17:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053129196166992 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.