Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

help identifying hilux calipers Mon, 05 January 2004 02:54 Go to next message
hi folks,

i got two v.cheap calipers from a wrecked diesel 4WD hilux but never bothered to note down the model number off the VIN plate (was way too hot and i had to work at dirt level so i forgot OK?)

markings on outside face of calipers:
first one:
<S12+8>, next bit is rotated <212> as it this <11>
and the other one:
<S12+8>, next bit is rotated <21W> as it this <1>

mount holes are 90mm (centre to centre) apart

piston diameters are
small - 33.5mm
large = 42.5mm

does this sound like a suitable candidate for the Pug/Hilux/XT130 front brake upgrade for my RA40 celica?

(i'd post a pic but i'm not putting these on my scanner! i don't have DigCam)

And if it's the right one, does anybody know the part number for the rebuild kit (seals & boots) from someone like PBR? i was goingto order a kit thru autobarn.

tia,
charles.
  Send a private message to this user    
Dominic
Regular

December 2003
Re: help identifying hilux calipers Mon, 05 January 2004 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they sound like the pair that ive got waiting to bolt on to my RT132 struts.
ive got a rebuild kit for them aswell.
the number on the bag is
K1822S
thats a PBR kit.
i know mine came off the LN106(?)petrol hilux,but im preety sure they are the same..
cheers,
Dom

ps my FJ45 landcruiser(soon to be for sale)has the same calipers as my hilux ones.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: help identifying hilux calipers Mon, 05 January 2004 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah my calipers sound like that with the small and large piston. They came from a FJ landcruiser and worked fine with the pug disc, xt130 strut upgrate.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: help identifying hilux calipers Mon, 05 January 2004 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know mine came off the LN106(?)petrol hilux,but im preety sure they are the same..
cheers,
Dom

Dom, yes they are the same and even some model Landcruisers have the same calipers as well. Your's were off the petrol 4wd hilux (RN105), but the diesel one is way more plentiful on the road, and at the wreckers, and its a LN106.

Cheers,
Mitch.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: help identifying hilux calipers Mon, 05 January 2004 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
huge difference between the calipers with the differing size pistons and the ln106 with same piston sizes..

i have a pic... will dig it up
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: help identifying hilux calipers Mon, 05 January 2004 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My calipers have four same size pistons (~39mm). These came from YN-106 HiLux.
rxtoy
Regular

December 2003
Re: help identifying hilux calipers Tue, 06 January 2004 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, i'm planning this conversion (i've got the struts and slowly picking up the other bits) and now i'm confused, do both these type of callipers bolt up? and if so which ones are better, the ones with the different size pistons or the ones with the same size pistons??? or doesn't it really matter?

cheers
Matt
Dominic
Regular

December 2003
Re: help identifying hilux calipers Tue, 06 January 2004 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im preety sure you will find that the 90mm bolt spacing is the most crucial part of the caliper with regards to which ones will fit.
cheers,
Dom
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: help identifying hilux calipers Tue, 06 January 2004 13:29 Go to previous message
i recall reading somewhere that toyota shifted from equal sized pistons to unequal sizes to regularise wear over the brake pad face.

...with same-sized pistons, the leading face of the pads got more wear, so you ended up with the pad not putting 100% of the face against the disk - and the attendant reduction in braking capacity, yada yada...

So later model hiluxes should have calipers with different sized pistons?

so with the discussion so far, i'm guessing its a combo of <90mm spacing and unequal sized piston calipers> that's ideal?

and it's also why i was confused: the hilux i pulled the calipers off was old ... plus some folks are saying the caliper's are off l/cruiser's - so i was worried that i had (yet again) removed parts from a wreck that we only good for door stops and garden sculptures...
Smile
charles.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:TA2x Celica indicator part numbers????
Next Topic:3SFE -> 3SGTE (1. generation) conversion
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 14:05:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0038020610809326 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.