Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Aftermarket parts for RA28?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RA28 Viking
Newcomer

January 2004
Aftermarket parts for RA28? Mon, 05 January 2004 02:04 Go to next message
Anyone got some info on what parts there is to be found for the RA28 (or Celica mk1's).
Like brake upgrades, suspension etc.

The only things I have found are some handling bits from Whiteline, but no suspension.

I live in Norway, and there are nothing to be found for these cars up here. Can hardly get original parts from Toyota dealership or any other place.

Thanks allot Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Aftermarket parts for RA28? Mon, 05 January 2004 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in the tech notes there is an article on brake conversion/upgrade for the RA23 which is almost identical to the RA28.
Failing this do a quick searc on these forums using the search function and you will find loads of stuff.
RA28 Viking
Newcomer

January 2004
Re: Aftermarket parts for RA28? Mon, 05 January 2004 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason wrote on Mon, 05 January 2004 03:11

in the tech notes there is an article on brake conversion/upgrade for the RA23 which is almost identical to the RA28.
Failing this do a quick searc on these forums using the search function and you will find loads of stuff.

I have seen that article but I am looking for something like a kit made for the Celica. In order to get my car approved with a 3S-GTE(if I ever get one) I will need to use the brakes from the same car that the engine came from, or bigger. (Belive me, its not easy to build custom cars in this country.)
I don't think the HiLux/Peugeot/Corona rebuild is gonna cut it.
Unless there are some kits with bigger brakes I will probably have to adapt MR2 Turbo or Celica GT-4 brakes.

I searched and found a little about a suspension upgrade.
But couldn't find out if there are struts made for the Celica, or made for other cars that will fit the Celica.
Some have Koni's, KYB's... are these available for the RA28? Or which one's fit?
Confused Very Happy

[Updated on: Mon, 05 January 2004 12:31]

rxtoy
Regular

December 2003
Re: Aftermarket parts for RA28? Mon, 05 January 2004 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i hate to say it but how's the engineer going to know what car they came from??? just do the corona/hilux/peugeot upgrade (cause it'll be more than enough) and then tell them the discs and callipers are off a GT4 or whatever................. unless you find a complete toyota guru for certification he'll never know the difference
RA28 Viking
Newcomer

January 2004
Re: Aftermarket parts for RA28? Mon, 05 January 2004 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rxtoy wrote on Mon, 05 January 2004 14:19

i hate to say it but how's the engineer going to know what car they came from??? just do the corona/hilux/peugeot upgrade (cause it'll be more than enough) and then tell them the discs and callipers are off a GT4 or whatever................. unless you find a complete toyota guru for certification he'll never know the difference

If they don't check the part-number, and don't make me get papers from the Toytota dealership confirming that the brakes are what they are and is worthy of the job... Then I will probably get away with it, you are right.
But then if the car gets in some kind of accident and it turns out I don't have the brakes I claimed, then I will get fuc***.

If I'm going to bother getting the modifications approved then it will have to be done the hard way.
As I said, building custom cars in this country is not easy. Sad
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Aftermarket parts for RA28? Mon, 05 January 2004 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What size are MR2/Gt4 discs and what type of calipers are they?
I'm pretty sure the pug/hilux setup is bigger anyway.
RA28 Viking
Newcomer

January 2004
Re: Aftermarket parts for RA28? Mon, 05 January 2004 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lambolica wrote on Mon, 05 January 2004 23:43

What size are MR2/Gt4 discs and what type of calipers are they?
I'm pretty sure the pug/hilux setup is bigger anyway.

That might be, but with MR2 or GT4 brakes you can get all sorts of aftermarket upgrades.

But anyway... I'm guessing nobody knows about any brake-upgrades made for 70-77 Celica's, so how about suspension/handling upgrades?
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Aftermarket parts for RA28? Tue, 06 January 2004 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's a little hard to give any help on upgrades for your country but over here Toyota --> Toyota bolt on upgrades are looked upon kindly from our engineers Smile Generally speaking the pug/hilux front brake upgrade is more than enough for 1GGTE engines and the rear can be upgraded to disc from a corona rather simply. Might be worth speaking to the authorities over there to find out if they will accept the pug/hilux upgrade or find out the specs of the mr2/gt4 disc offsets and see if they can be addapted to the RA struts (or similar) I think this would involve making up some adapter plates (which is frowned upon here over bolt on) and machining the disc to suit the standard offset, or finding an after market rotor that will suit (read pug) you'll still end up with a pug disc.

As for Suspension/Handling Whiteline should have the sway bars and bushes that will make a difference and then find a local shop that can either reset your original springs lower or make new springs based on the originals, have some RCA's made up and put in. KYB's are used widely over here and I'm lead to believe that koni do make somthing that is adaptable.

Hope this helps.
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Aftermarket parts for RA28? Tue, 06 January 2004 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RA28 viking can you get Corona struts in Norway? I doubt it. Self-made backing plates in road cars are illegal at least here in Finland. So that rules toyota stuff out.
Maybe BMW, Volvo or MB struts with brakes would work but just maybe. I know your situation.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Aftermarket parts for RA28? Thu, 08 January 2004 08:24 Go to previous message
Provided that the disk is larger that the GT4/MR2 one and the calipers are similar/larger size, you shouldn't have any problems justifying the hilux/pug package. Particularly when it is designed to pull up 2000kg of 4wd. As far as the corona strut is concerned though you might have some problems. I think the front end on the Australian coronas is different to the european ones.

An alternative is to look into some of the nissan performance vehicles. I don't know if you get GTR's or 300zx there but they have some impressive brakes fitted. You might be able to fit them with a little massaging.

My advice is to find out what the GT4/MR2 disk diameter and thickness is and go to the wreckers with a ruler and find something that will fit on your strut. Then get a 4 pot caliper to fit. You guys have more options with finding parts than we do as most of the european cars (Volvo, Saab, BMW, Merc etc) are fitted with bigger brakes than what we get here.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:trouble getting to engine mount on MA70!!
Next Topic:MA61 Supra Engine Conversions
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 05:05:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055570602416992 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.