Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
anthony84
Regular

February 2003
Quad Throttel bodes Tue, 06 January 2004 09:19 Go to next message
i wanna no if i can put quad throttel bodies on my twin cam 100kw engine... if i can what do i need and how should i go by doing it...
does it make a diferance in performance....
plz help...
  Send a private message to this user    
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Quad Throttel bodes Tue, 06 January 2004 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Buy a manifold, some ITBs, a linkage kit and an aftermarket ECU.
With a stock engine you might notice a modest improvement in mid range response. You will see the best increment in performance with a highly modifed engine.
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: Quad Throttel bodes Tue, 06 January 2004 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HUGE difference in performance - similar power to a supercharged setup (minus the torque though).
very twitchy throttle wise though, a bit hard to get used to if you come straight out of a single throttle bodied car.

you'll need an aftermarket ECU to run it as well, the stock ECU will shit itself completely.

i'm sure anything can be made to fit (i have a pair of ex GPz1100R 35mmŲ TBs going on my 1UZ soon...) but i'd start with the 20V ones first, considering how close a match the exhaust 'headers' are.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Quad Throttel bodes Tue, 06 January 2004 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
onejayzed wrote on Tue, 06 January 2004 19:32

HUGE difference in performance - similar power to a supercharged setup

LOL! Not without lots of other mods, as GT mentioned.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Quad Throttel bodes Tue, 06 January 2004 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The improvement will be modest at best without any other modifications. Definitely NOT a 'bang for buck' manouevre. I do recommend the induction noise though. Very Happy

The 35mm throttle bodies will be too small for your 1UZ.
shindeokure
Regular

September 2003
Re: Quad Throttel bodes Tue, 06 January 2004 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wouldn't it be cheaper/easier to dump a whole 20v setup in there unless you plan to completely rework the engine?
slydar
Regular

December 2003
Re: Quad Throttel bodes Tue, 06 January 2004 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.speed-technology.com/efi_main_page.html these dudes sell the throttle bodies, and linkages, and computers too... theres another mob that do almost identical throttle bodies, cant remember what theyre called though. theyre "weber style" meaning theyll fit onto a manifold intended for a weber carb, meaning you can get a manifold to fit from a manufacturer called redline. i really think fitting 20v throttles bodies is fairly pointless, considering the amount youll pay for an adapter plate, plus the price of the ITBs themselves, and its not so easy to get them to idle either. anyway, its alot of money, for not much reward. that said, there are some people out there who just prefer NA motors. but if youre after bang for buck, this isnt the way. even if youre after NA power, like someone already said, youre better off with a 20v swap.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Quad Throttel bodes Tue, 06 January 2004 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
onejayzed wrote on Tue, 06 January 2004 20:32

HUGE difference in performance - similar power to a supercharged setup

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Quad Throttel bodes Tue, 06 January 2004 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the other mob are "EFI hardware" which an Aussie company.

both are fantastic ITB's, but i think EFI hardware are a little better..

all up you'd be looking at around $1500 give or take a few hundred for the ITB's fuel rails etc...

awesome, but terrible bang for buck. really only need them when you start tuning the length of the intake tract, and even then, it's more for the sound and even air distribution than for outright performance (imho)
Cya, Stewart
slydar
Regular

December 2003
Re: Quad Throttel bodes Tue, 06 January 2004 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that is efi hardwares site Wink the other dudes i think are injection perfection. they seem to sell pretty much the exact same stuff.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Quad Throttel bodes Tue, 06 January 2004 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oops, sorry, was thinking of TWM as the US one Wink
http://www.twminduction.com
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Quad Throttel bodes Tue, 06 January 2004 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TWM make some awesome stuff for Yank bent iron. Makes me almost want to do up a Windsor 302.

Also, try Injection Perfection. They have a fairly outdated pricelist too.

MoTeC used to do throttle bodies as well. I have a silly feeling they may still do them.

[Updated on: Tue, 06 January 2004 15:45]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Quad Throttel bodes Tue, 06 January 2004 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Wed, 07 January 2004 02:41

TWM make some awesome stuff for Yank bent iron. Makes me almost want to do up a Windsor 302.

they also do great weber style ITB's for the 4AG. have seen them set up and they do look the goods.. the main difference between them and the EFI hardware ones is the fuel rail, and possibly linkages.. but they are both good.

i'd be looking at bike carbs personally Wink
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Quad Throttel bodes Tue, 06 January 2004 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stewart, something like the Keihin FCRs? The biggest they come is 41mm (according to their website).

PS: Bugger balancing 4 carbs! Laughing
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Quad Throttel bodes Tue, 06 January 2004 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NOW you're talking....mmmmmm slide throttles....

if you're seriously that set on a set of 20v TB's get your 100kw manifold chop it lets say 3-4 inches away from where it bolts to your head, and, get a plate TIG welded to that, which, you can then bolt the quads too.

and get an aftermarket computer

and to compliment it get some better cams....the individual TB per cylinder will help immensely.

[Updated on: Tue, 06 January 2004 18:44]

onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: Quad Throttel bodes Wed, 07 January 2004 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the quads will require cams and a good exhaust to make the most of them - yes i should have said that. one would assume you would want to make the most of your extra airflow...

and the std size ports on my 1UZFE are 35mmŲ, so they are in effect just right. the exhaust ports are 35mmŲ too.
as soon as i mention anything less than 42mmŲ people shit themselves and say they're too small. the butterflies are paper-thin too, with no central actuator rod.
i understand the whole 'tapering inlet port' idea (ie a manifold that tapers from 42 to 35) however the ram tubes have the same kind of taper on them.
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Quad Throttel bodes Wed, 07 January 2004 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you can get the TB's cheap and are handy at metal working, you can fabricate your own adapter plates.

http://www.ben.foo.cc/quads.jpg

That should give you an idea of the way I did it.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Quad Throttel bodes Wed, 07 January 2004 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Wed, 07 January 2004 03:09

Stewart, something like the Keihin FCRs? The biggest they come is 41mm (according to their website).
PS: Bugger balancing 4 carbs! Laughing

actually i was thinking more along the lines of the Honda VTR TB's

SP1 = 54mm
SP2 = 62mm!!!! for a 0.5L cylinder
should be just about right on a 2L 4 Wink
http://www.mcnews.com.au/NewBikeCatalogue/2002/Hon da/SP2/Page_1.htm
mmmm 12 jet twin injectors Very Happy

Cya, Stewart

ps, Ben, that looks damn good!! what are those TB's off? (if you want to share Wink )
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: Quad Throttel bodes Wed, 07 January 2004 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my kawasaki TBs were $50 including injectors, rail and TPS.

btw, that's a really neat job there Ben! kudos Cool
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Quad Throttel bodes Wed, 07 January 2004 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stewart - They are just standard silvertop 20v TB's mated to a redline manifold.

frank_grimes
Regular

May 2002
Re: Quad Throttel bodes Wed, 07 January 2004 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much are those redline manifolds?
ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Quad Throttel bodes Wed, 07 January 2004 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hay Ben you forgot about your really trick trumpets Laughing
Redline manifolds are about $250 i think last time i looked.

Ben
AE86 Trueno 4AGE

[Updated on: Wed, 07 January 2004 05:47]

improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Quad Throttel bodes Wed, 07 January 2004 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What vehicle is the quads for ??
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Quad Throttel bodes Thu, 08 January 2004 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86trueno wrote on Wed, 07 January 2004 16:46

Hay Ben you forgot about your really trick trumpets Laughing

You can laugh now, but, I'll bet you'll wish you had them when you try to find some bottom end torque from your new motor...

Getting decent inlet length is important, even if you have to dodge bits of car to do it....

http://www.geocities.com/benwilsonau/frink.txt

improvedae86 - In case you haven't guessed, this particular setup is on an AE86.

[Updated on: Thu, 08 January 2004 00:06]

ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Quad Throttel bodes Thu, 08 January 2004 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah your right Ben ill stop laughing now Sad
mmm where were those 288 degree cams...
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Quad Throttel bodes Thu, 08 January 2004 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben

I emailed you a photo , could you please post it , i could help someone out .

Thanks
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Quad Throttel bodes Thu, 08 January 2004 01:05 Go to previous message
I don't have FTP here at work, so the best I can do is a backdoor Geocities hosting (like my trumpet picture - If they don't come out, you know why)...

http://www.geocities.com/benwilsonau/4agquads.txt

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:MA61 engine problems.....
Next Topic:Creaky Clutch
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 10 07:47:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.17074084281921 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.