Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

1g-gte rich - dyno pics Tue, 06 January 2004 05:57 Go to next message
I got my spinter dynod today trying to work out a little miss it had under boost.
Well I ended up with 111kw at the wheels which I was a little disapointed with but my main question is about how rich it ran.
As soon as it hits boost it starts running really rich. It starts at 13.5 then by the time it hits 11.8 psi its at 10.2. Is this just cos its an older gen computer running really conservative or is there something wrong?

They said they could play with the a/f meter to try fix it, is this wise?

Ill try get the sheets up with the readouts.

[Updated on: Fri, 09 January 2004 01:35]

Send a private message to this user    
ddeane
Regular

June 2002
Re: 1g-gte rich Tue, 06 January 2004 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gidday

First on the 'little miss' under boost. I had the same thing and it got worse over a period of 12 months. Turned out it was the ignition leads - fixed with a payment of $87 to TopGun.

As to the too rich! I had mine dyno'd with different AFM and found one was giving the same rich outcome that you have got. The second AFM was significantly better. On the dyno I improved this even more by removing the vacumm hose from the fuel regulator and stopping the effect of the 'rising rate'- you would have take care with this as it may lean things off too far. Remember the car was on the dyno when we were playing with things and we were monitoring the exhaust. If your dyno shop can fix things with adjustment to the AFM great.

I went from 113kw at the wheels to 138kw.

Craig
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte rich Tue, 06 January 2004 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toyot moakes things run really rich as soon as boost comes in.. you could try playing with fuel pressures or afm spring tension but really aslong as you have no inlet leaks you really need a computer with ign/fuel agjustments to get the most out of the motor by ceaning up the AF ratios across the entire rev range
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte rich Tue, 06 January 2004 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sweet thanx guys, yea im going to get some new plugs and leads and see if that helps out the slight miss thats still there, seems to have gotten better after having the thrashing on the dyno hehe

ive got another afm I might stick on and see if it makes a difference

what would an air leak do to af ratios?
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte rich Wed, 07 January 2004 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
metered air would be leaking out of the inlet plumbing, this air has been allowed for in the a/f calculations by the AFM, motor will run rich.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1g-gte rich Thu, 08 January 2004 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats exactly the same power I got from my gen 2 1G. The air/fuel readings were pretty much the same. Toyota run them rich under boost to minimise the risk of pinging.
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte rich Fri, 09 January 2004 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok ive uploaded the pics
Air Fuel Ratios and torque

http://members.optushome.com.au/gregmatt/dyno/af.j pg
KW power
http://members.optushome.com.au/gregmatt/dyno/kw.j pg
Boost
http://members.optushome.com.au/gregmatt/dyno/boos t.jpg

What do you guys think
To me it looks like the power should still be going up and that it flatens of due to the miss, maybe spark braking up
This flatening happens about the time im feeling the miss too

Are the A/F ratios too rich?

The last run which is not on there he turned the screw on the AFM and we got 111kw
didn't seem to affect the A/F ratio much though so not sure why the extra power

[Updated on: Fri, 09 January 2004 01:35]

Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte rich - dyno pics Fri, 09 January 2004 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well I changed the leads and dizzy cap to some others I had, top gun not sure how old as they came with one of the motors.
Ive put new spark plugs in too.

Miss is still there under boost above about 5000 revs.

Could this be due to how rich it is running?
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1g-gte rich - dyno pics Fri, 09 January 2004 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you shure the dizzy cap and rotor button are good?? I have had problems with these before. Check for cracks or corrosion on the cap.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 1g-gte rich - dyno pics Sat, 10 January 2004 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is the fuel pressure regulator a 'rising rate' type? if so, what is the rate??
you could experiment with one of a lower rate, but you would want to do a few calculations beforehand to see if that will help (ie is the richness increasing linearly with boost etc.. how much fuel pressure do i want to reduce it by....)
not for the faint hearted or thuck headed Wink but worth a go if you are adventurous.
Cya, Stewart
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte rich - dyno pics Sat, 17 January 2004 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok im pretty sure ive found a leak in one of the intercooler pipes, so im guessing thiwill cause some ohe richness, but could it be causing the miss?
I checked timing and fixed that as it was slightly out at 7 degrees, Was driving to test it, was missing above 5k and hit 6k revs and it did a jolt and backfired.
ddeane
Regular

June 2002
Re: 1g-gte rich - dyno pics Sun, 18 January 2004 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gidday

Sounds like mine - fixed by new leads
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte rich - dyno pics Sun, 18 January 2004 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The stock ign system might not be strong enough to ignite the rich mixtures.
Hmmm... i cant think of any good way other than trying a different coil to test this though Sad

Maybe different spark plugs would help... dont ask me what type tho.
faulksy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1g-gte rich - dyno pics Sun, 18 January 2004 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont some of the toyota ecu run rich when theres a problem as a defensive mechanism???
ddeane
Regular

June 2002
Re: 1g-gte rich - dyno pics Mon, 19 January 2004 01:56 Go to previous message
The risch reading that you are getting are inline with what I am getting. Mine goes ok with the last dyno test showing 136kw with the vacuum hose to the fuel regulator connected. The figures improved with 138kw and a much smoother graph with the hose off.

Craig
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1jz/2jz Conversion For GZ20 Soarer
Next Topic:Strange noise in a ST185CS
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 14:45:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049779415130615 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.