Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Trent-KE30
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
what fuel to use in a 18R-C Wed, 07 January 2004 02:41 Go to next message
hey all i just got a 1978 toyota corona 2000 18r-c and i was wondering what fuel to use in it i have been using unleaded but im not completely sure seems to run ok though its just a paddic basher
Anything would be appreciated
Thanks Trent
  Send a private message to this user    
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: what fuel to use in a 18R-C Wed, 07 January 2004 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unleaded is fine for it.
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: what fuel to use in a 18R-C Wed, 07 January 2004 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
run ultimate 98 and nothing but!

give you more power (not much but still more Evil or Very Mad )
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: what fuel to use in a 18R-C Wed, 07 January 2004 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate 98 is unlikely to do anything much in an old clunker like that. I wouldn't bother with anything more than regular unleaded.
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: what fuel to use in a 18R-C Wed, 07 January 2004 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats what i was thinking, lets face it they are not a performance engine. In mine about the only real noticeable difference is it idles smoother.
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: what fuel to use in a 18R-C Wed, 07 January 2004 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when we buy old bush hackers we allways fill it up with 98 they love it you can only try its like what 5 cents differnce.

scrouges i tells ya
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: what fuel to use in a 18R-C Wed, 07 January 2004 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah well there's no point in trying to sqeeze blood out of a stone.
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: what fuel to use in a 18R-C Wed, 07 January 2004 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
true but you can try and squeeze 7k out of em Evil or Very Mad
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: what fuel to use in a 18R-C Wed, 07 January 2004 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup you could try. One word comes to mind SPLAT. Laughing
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: what fuel to use in a 18R-C Wed, 07 January 2004 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we had a corolla bush hacker one of the k motors that thing was a beast it'd valve bounce 1st 2nd and thirds if you tried hard

we ran it for 1/2 hour without the thermo the wires came off the temp gauge was in the red we hooked it strait up to the battery and kept thrashing it.

it eventually had 2 popped tires and we bogged it so we chucked a brick on there it ran for 10 mins reving the tits of it so we went and un hooked the thermo within 2 minutes bang oil water every where.

Evil or Very Mad
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: what fuel to use in a 18R-C Wed, 07 January 2004 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Had a mate did a similar thing he was trying to kill a 3k or 4k so pulled the sump plug out and drove it around for half an hour it seized, he thought great ive killed it. Left it for a couple of hours went back and it started. Laughing
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: what fuel to use in a 18R-C Wed, 07 January 2004 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Back on track now, unleaded is fine but over time you will get valve seat recession. This is one of the few engines that Toyota recommended that you do not run on unleaded, back when that 'new' fuel was first introduced in late 1985.
Cheers,
Mitch.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: what fuel to use in a 18R-C Wed, 07 January 2004 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra23celica wrote on Wed, 07 January 2004 17:01

Back on track now, unleaded is fine but over time you will get valve seat recession. This is one of the few engines that Toyota recommended that you do not run on unleaded, back when that 'new' fuel was first introduced in late 1985.
Cheers,
Mitch.

I think youll find that 18R-Cs are ok with unleaded.
Remeber its a jap engine, and they have been running unleaded over there since the mid 70s.
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: what fuel to use in a 18R-C Wed, 07 January 2004 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh but isnt japans regular 95 tho???
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: what fuel to use in a 18R-C Wed, 07 January 2004 23:56 Go to previous message
[/quote]

I think youll find that 18R-Cs are ok with unleaded.
Remeber its a jap engine, and they have been running unleaded over there since the mid 70s.
[/quote]

Mark,
This is what I said, 18R-C's are fine on unleaded, but you will get valve seat recession. I worked for Toyota Australia in the late 80's when unleaded was introduced, and I was involved with the Service Dept and the bulletin's issued advising Toyota owners which engines are recommended to run unleaded, and the 18R-C is *NOT* one of them. Having said that, it runs fine, you will just kill the valve seats in the thing. The 18R-C was originally developed to run leaded fuel in countries like the USA, Sweden and Aust, when that fuel was still the most widely available at that time. In Japan where unleaded was fuel de jour, they had the 18R-U.
100 RON is common now in Japan, and equates to about 95 RON + MON / 2 (the USA rating system).
Mitch.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ra40 diff and front struts into a ta23
Next Topic:Turbo timers
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 20 04:47:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048370361328125 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.